Quantcast

No Fury :( - time to try something new?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not a mongooge, and not weirdo europop (though I do like the look of Zumbis).

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
as a canfield fanboy for years i certainly hope he did go for a jedi...

his questions about light 83mm BB Cranks work with that theory too... ;)

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
ooh i forgot about the high pivot thing.

Appalaches are fairly common, so hmm, canfields well, there are a few about.ooh im sure i know what it is, its just escaping me!

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
Could you stop making this thread so girly and tell us already? Jeesh, you sound like my girlfriend. :disgust:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Pretty much all frames are 83mm bb these days, no? Not a Canfield. if I bought one of those it would have to be a Big Fat Fatty Fat, if even just for the name! :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Didn't go for a high-pivot in the end - I've been through a lot of bikes/decisions since starting this thread originally! Lifted an Empire this weekend, hellishly heavy! Not convinced by the idea of forging for a frame either, so wouldn't have gone for one anyway. Plus never been a fan of single pivots. (And yes I know my DHi kinda is one).

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Nope, Commencal too common/bandwagony. I DO like the Sunns, but couldn't find anywhere that sold them (here or abroad!) so quickly lost interest, ha. Head angle looks steep too?
don't mean to spam but if your still interested in a sunn send me a pm. I work in a Sunn dealer based in Dublin so not too far from you and can hook you up. As for the warrenty issues they where on the 07 frames and its been sorted with new/redesigned chainstay.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
don't mean to spam but if your still interested in a sunn send me a pm. I work in a Sunn dealer based in Dublin so not too far from you and can hook you up. As for the warrenty issues they where on the 07 frames and its been sorted with new/redesigned chainstay.
Well Sunn was my second choice, close to a joint top, I may yet decide to send what I've bought back if I don't like it for some reason. Can you answer me some Sunn questions:

1) in stock? how long would it take to get me one in the UK?
2) geometry - there's no geo information on the sunn site, there's a diagram, but no figures to go with it!
3) weight (without shock if possible)?
4) price (with what shock)

many thanks Al, if you can quickly answer those it'd be much appreciated!

- seb

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well Sunn was my second choice, close to a joint top, I may yet decide to send what I've bought back if I don't like it for some reason. Can you answer me some Sunn questions:

1) in stock? how long would it take to get me one in the UK?
2) geometry - there's no geo information on the sunn site, there's a diagram, but no figures to go with it!
3) weight (without shock if possible)?
4) price (with what shock)

many thanks Al, if you can quickly answer those it'd be much appreciated!

- seb
Seb you have to get a Sunn you on a heavy bike will off set the balance of the monkey.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I will neither confirm or deny anything from this point on by the way, as there's not that many options left and someone will chance on it soon! :)

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Not the latest and greatest but I would say take a look at the Mountain Cycle 9.5. Stiff, bottomless and can take a beating. Older moto link tech but still one of th better DH sleds I have ridden.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Eurgh, THAT I'm happy to deny, lol :) Nothing personal, just hate the look of them and fairly certain they must weigh a ton.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Made in Canada, more common there than the US I imagine, though not massively common in either I'm sure... I'm really making this too easy! :-)

Will arrive tomorrow, photos then! :)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It'll be a Wilson. Very light frames. Kind of flexy in the back end, but nice geometry and pretty sweet colour schemes.

Did I ruin your little attention whoring session Seb? :P

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man, i dig the wilson...sweet bikes. wish we got them in the states. only way to get one is to sneak over the border or deal with one of the hardtards on pinkbike.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
man, i dig the wilson...sweet bikes. wish we got them in the states. only way to get one is to sneak over the border or deal with one of the hardtards on pinkbike.
i thought they sold in the US but with a different dropout so the frame is no longer a horst link

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
they used to be...but in this day and age, who's going to buy a frame that's been essentially cobbled together to get around a patent? The wilson is nearing a top-level frame...unless they sold it for beans, I don't think they'd find many buyers...not when you can pay the same for the tincan 88 or any of the other refined designs out there...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Tis indeed a Wilson, I'm surprised it took someone this long :) I hear they're a little flexy, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing, a bit of give helps the bike goes where it wants to. Anyway, I think most of those complaints are regarding the 08 bushed model, whereas the 09 is back to bearings, thank god.

£1550 in the UK, a bargain price in my opinion. Session 88s are £1800, Socoms are £2300. I fear the Devinci will become commonplace quite soon though... I've seen none over here up until now, but I'm not sure how long they've been sold at such a competitive price in the UK...

Don't even know how light they are, I've heard 8.8lb including (air?) shock, but I fear that weight is with no shock at all. Tomorrow I will know!

Geometry looks good, frame looks good, price looks good, horst link should be good (never owned one, but liked the ones I've tried, Norco aside (feels too short and steep). Only gripe is that the C.o.G looks pretty high compared to a Sunn etc.

I've specced mine with an 09 fox coil DHX shock though, not the air. Tftuned reckon the 09 is a big improvement over the 08 shock. If I'm feeling fancy-pants later on I'll get it pushed or swap it for a BOS/cc.

Will be (sadly) built with mostly existing worn out parts - new headset, cranks, chain device, mech & saddle are all the love it's going to get!

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
My 08' Willy 4 is 4356 grams or 9.6 pounds (rawed, includes: axle (66), seat collar (46), DHX5 Air (555), FSA Orbit Xtreme 1.5R, E13 bb adaptor and FSA Mega Exo bb). Hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine!

Frame (with bb, E13 mount, headset): 3689 grams

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the willsons are sweet they have a little trouble with the play in the lower pivot near the bb but other than that there spot on. I've 2 mates who ride them and they love them. If you like slack and low there the way to go. They can be built pretty crazy light

boxxer wc
dhx air
xt cranks with 83mm mod
823 on hope proII rear
721 on hope bulb both tubeless
37lbs ish can't remember the exact figure on the scales when we weighed it. But it was comming in about the same weight as my other friends radical with rocco and ti spring.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
the willsons are sweet they have a little trouble with the play in the lower pivot near the bb but other than that there spot on. I've 2 mates who ride them and they love them. If you like slack and low there the way to go. They can be built pretty crazy light

boxxer wc
dhx air
xt cranks with 83mm mod
823 on hope proII rear
721 on hope bulb both tubeless
37lbs ish can't remember the exact figure on the scales when we weighed it. But it was comming in about the same weight as my other friends radical with rocco and ti spring.
Hmmm, I think your friend's may be lighter than that? Going off the frame weights I've seen* mine is going to be 34.5lb-ish, with a coil shock, coil boxxers, saint cranks, and dualply tyres! Your friend must have some lardy bits hidden on it somewhere! Reckon mine'd be about 33lb with air shock/boxxer... :D

*I'm refusing to be too excited by the photo above this post which hints at a frame weight of 3300g or so, as for all I know the 09 has changed and is beefed up in areas... 3300g would be sweet though, that's Socom/88 territory :)

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Frame has arrived, and first thing I've done (obviously :P) is smash out the fitted 1.5" headset, and remove the shock to weigh it. 3.78kg. That includes rear axle, shock shuttle, ISCG mount (which is removable/replacable which is quite cool, if it works well) and linkage cross-brace. Doesn't include seat QR.

So, either highminions scales are quite a bit off (or mine are :P) or the 09 is quite beefed up compared to 08. Obviously his will be 100g lighter or so from being rawwed, but even if it's a small (mine's a medium) I don't see that making up the total difference.

So, it's light, but not silly light. A full pound (and a bit) heavier than trek/socoms. I'd estimated 3600g in my sums, so a sub-35lb build will still be pretty straightforward :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Most 2008s do unless he's retrofitted bearings. Obviously bearings add a bit, not much I wouldn't have thought though.

Anyway, in summary it's not as light as I hoped, but it's not exactly lardy, and I'm happy; my bike is light enough already anyway!