Votes: 49 57.6%
  • The Way It Should Be.

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Why does everybody complain about how it would hurt so much to hit their junk on the hump. It would hurt to hit your junk on any tube.

The stem ecspecially.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
So, how is the Nomad on the XC trails....can you keep up riding with a bunch of XCs (if they do not ride at heart rate 210) ?
My Nomad handles that very well. I'm now passing up people of what I consider averabe climbing ability who, before, would be passing me up. It's not easy, though. I've got my rig as 35lbs, so it's a pig. The ETA on the Z1 helps, though. I had a lockout on my last bike, and this is a fork with more travel, and the bike still climbs better.

If I had this built to about 30lbs or so, I think I'd be a heck of a lot faster.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
My Nomad handles that very well. I'm now passing up people of what I consider averabe climbing ability who, before, would be passing me up. It's not easy, though. I've got my rig as 35lbs, so it's a pig. The ETA on the Z1 helps, though. I had a lockout on my last bike, and this is a fork with more travel, and the bike still climbs better.

If I had this built to about 30lbs or so, I think I'd be a heck of a lot faster.
how tall are you and what do you what size do you ride ??? got a parts spec of the bike ??

cheers

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland

A while back, I did an XC ride with one buddy that was riding a 41 pound Kona Stinky. The rest of us had sub-28 pound XC bikes and were not is such bad shape. However, he was still waiting for us at the top of the hill. Maybe he had something to prove. :biggrin:

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
there is a girl in Norway who rides the nationals with a rebuilt Nomad.

Looks like this:

and she rides FAST!!

(pictures from France)

and so on..

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
How are the nomads for bearigns though? I am seriously lookin at one, and trying to decide if I should bite or not. Its for a long travel trail bike, gonna slap something like a Totem up front for kicks.

Anyone got any ideas?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
A guy here rides the Nomad on the German/Swiss iXS cup.
Fast as ****.
The SugarFree v10 is awsome and I bet it would kill on most DH tracks.
How would the Geo be messed up?
Uhhh... because you can't just slap a DC fork on a trailbike and expect that the numbers will magically work out. I would expect it would raise the BB too high.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Uhhh... because you can't just slap a DC fork on a trailbike and expect that the numbers will magically work out. I would expect it would raise the BB too high.
You more guessed than expected...(I guess)?

From the Santa Cruz homepage:

The Nomad is designed around 140-180mm forks.
*140-150mm travel is optimal for those that want more of a trail bike feel.
*160-180mm travel is optimal for a slacker angles and better performance on rocky terrain or high speed.

Also on their homepage is complete FR setup suggestions.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
The Boxxer ride is a 178mm fork.
The axle-to-crown shouldn't be much higher than a 66...

I realy like that diet-V10 and very curious about the geo.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Doesnt matter if its a dc or a sc fork as long as the height isnt too bad.
The boxxer doesnt seem to be too high for the Nomad looking at the head angle and the BB height looks pretty good to me.
Kinda look the same as my v10s...
It looks kind of like a SOCOM kind of bike set up like this.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
You more guessed than expected...(I guess)?

From the Santa Cruz homepage:

The Nomad is designed around 140-180mm forks.
*140-150mm travel is optimal for those that want more of a trail bike feel.
*160-180mm travel is optimal for a slacker angles and better performance on rocky terrain or high speed.

Also on their homepage is complete FR setup suggestions.
Do they list BB heights? Either it will be too low in their "trail" mode, or it will be too high in their "DH" mode.

The BB can't be spot on in both modes.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Homepage quote:

BB height: 13.7"
The Nomad geometry specs on our website are made with a 145mm fork travel (522mm axle to crown).

I'll ask her to messaure the BB hight when she comes back om messenger later, and she'll give us the answer. I'll also ask how much of the Ride's travel she uses.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway

She says:

BB height is an inch lower than her boyfriends VPfree with 66RC.
The fork is 555mm axl to crown, and she runs it with full travel...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
dang. 14 3/8 is a managable BB height for sure. :banana: There are those who demand it lower. Personally, I run 14.0 on a 6 inch travel bike but I sometimes want lower.

The v10 is listed at 14 3/4

And 15 3/8 for a VP Free? WTF?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not only is the 6.6 not humped out, it has way better geometry. Lower BB, shorter WB, longer TT, shorter stays etc. Much better bike.

All the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Blurs seem to love them but all the people I know who have gone to Nomads from Enduros or DH bikes don't like the way they ride for the most part. Basically former XC types love the bike because to them it's the first long-legged bike they've owned and it pedals allright. But for people who know what a good solid freeride bike should handle like the Nomad is sort of funky.

I couldn't agree more about the top tube shape being silly, I've been an opponent of it since the first spy shots about a year ago or so.

DING DING DING!!!!

Anyone who says a nomad doesn't blow through its travel is on crack..................and mostly can't tell the difference between a progressive damper and a progressive linkage. I'd have loved to have spent less money on a nomad but they ride like crap.........so I had no choice but to get a 6.6.:biggrin:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
SirChomps, are you looking to buy one of these things to replace your ASX?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
SirChomps, are you looking to buy one of these things to replace your ASX?
Oh hell no. I love my ASX. It is seriously the best bike I have ever ridden. XC, DH, everything. Nothing to fix, nothing to upgrade, nothing to worry about, just grab the bike and go. Now that you got me started, I have to pimp it:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dang. 14 3/8 is a managable BB height for sure. :banana: There are those who demand it lower. Personally, I run 14.0 on a 6 inch travel bike but I sometimes want lower.

The v10 is listed at 14 3/4

And 15 3/8 for a VP Free? WTF?

The VP Free is designed to pedal through rocks at low speed (freeride). The V10 is a DH race machine designed to be super stable at high speeds. I have both. They excel at different things. However, both cross over.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oh hell no. I love my ASX. It is seriously the best bike I have ever ridden. XC, DH, everything. Nothing to fix, nothing to upgrade, nothing to worry about, just grab the bike and go. Now that you got me started, I have to pimp it:
haven't seen that picture less than 10 times... :clue:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
DING DING DING!!!!

Anyone who says a nomad doesn't blow through its travel is on crack..................and mostly can't tell the difference between a progressive damper and a progressive linkage. I'd have loved to have spent less money on a nomad but they ride like crap.........so I had no choice but to get a 6.6.:biggrin:
yea, i felt that my vp free was way too linear in the middle of its travel. once you get past the first few inches which are meant for pedaling, it blows. try diving into burms with it.:disgust1:

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
how tall are you and what do you what size do you ride ??? got a parts spec of the bike ??

cheers
I'm 6'3", 180, ride a large.

Spec:
Shock - Fox DHX5.0
Fork - Marz Z1 w/ETA
Headset - Chris King
Tires - Kenda Nevegal; tubeless up front, tubed in the rear
Rims - Sun SingleTrack 32h
Spokes - DT Swiss 14g straight
Hubs - Marz up front, Shimano XT in the back
Cassette - Sram PG980
Brakes - Hayes Comp
BB - Truvativ GigaPipe Team SL
Cranks - Truvativ Holzfeller 175mm 24/36/BG w/LRP
Pedals - FreeAgent
Seatpost - Thompson Elite
Seat - SDG Bel-Air
Handlebar - Titec Ringleader
Grips - ODI Rogue

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
DING DING DING!!!!

Oh Kidwoo.......and I had so much respect for you:biggrin:

As with any other ride, it's all how you set it up. My Nomad feels bottomless, and I have experience with many other suspension designs. If there was one drawback to the VPP, it's that it's not quite as sensitive on small bumps as others, but it makes up for it with its bottomless feel.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh Kidwoo.......and I had so much respect for you:biggrin:

As with any other ride, it's all how you set it up. My Nomad feels bottomless, and I have experience with many other suspension designs. If there was one drawback to the VPP, it's that it's not quite as sensitive on small bumps as others, but it makes up for it with its bottomless feel.
Yeah and the problem is that it's bottomless at 2mph.

And has a chainstay that's as long as my dh bike

And a top tube that's shorter than my xc bike

And a BB that's as high as my freeride bike.

I own two vpp bikes. Just ones that were built with the shock mount in the right place.