Quantcast

Northeast Monkeyfest 2004 Reports

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Good pictures, keep 'em coming! I'm glad to see that so far, no one has a picture of the "log hopper" crown toppling from my head as I endoed over that log. :rolleyes:

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
BikeGeek said:
Good pictures, keep 'em coming! I'm glad to see that so far, no one has a picture of the "log hopper" crown toppling from my head as I endoed over that log. :rolleyes:
It was because of the pressure of the group.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
Thanks for the great ride. I can't do that more then once a month, someday maybee i can do it every day like you guys.
Splat- feel free to save some megs and omit all the pictures of me falling on my face.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Good stuff!
Just want put in a quick post while some files are in mid-copy here at work.
NEGladeRider -- Thanks again for the locale.
Great to see old monkeys again and meet all you new monkeys. (Hey sydasti -- did you used to have a Superlight or was I thinking of another monkey?)
Treesaw -- Thanks for being the food wench again. :D
I look forward to sharing trails and brews with as many of you as possible in the future.
Ride on. :thumb:

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
BikeGeek said:
You mean peak foilage? Holy tourists! :eek:
You can add 3 more to the tourist list. :thumb: The wife, kid and I will be out in Vermont that last week. We'll be just an hour south of 'The Kingdom' that week. I'm not sure if I'm going to ship my bike out yet or not. I may just ride whatever bike happens to not have a rider on it at my bro's house.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Great pictures and write-ups everyone! It was fantastic to finally put a face to so many of the names, as well as getting to see some Monkeys again for the first time in years! - I had a great time, despite being exhausted from the loooong drive up there (unfortunately I was just too tired for the night ride Friday. :help: )

However, those trails rocked! It was a pleasure to get to meet everyone, and ride with at least most of you! Also I have to give a special thanks to NEGladerider for being such a gracious host. :cool:

Already looking forward to the next MonkeyFest. :)

P.S. HEIDI - I got your message -- Hello to you too!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Looks like a good time was had! I say that LordOpie, pixelninja, Bldr_Freerider, myself, Renegade, and any other monkies in Colorado try to organize a Fall Monkeyfest for the midwest, say perhaps in Denver or Boulder? Possibly mid to late October?

And yes let's actually try hard to plan it as opposed to just saying it'll happen. :)

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
It was great seeing those that we knew again and putting faces to the names of all those we know from the site! The riding was great and I wish we had more time to see all there is to ride up there! Maybe next year....

Also thanks a million to NEGladeRider for allowing us to use his awesome campground!

I am working on pictures (http://steve6719.fotopic.net/c248306.html) but here is a sample:

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
psycle-on said:
It was great seeing those that we knew again and putting faces to the names of all those we know from the site! The riding was great and I wish we had more time to see all there is to ride up there! Maybe next year....

Also thanks a million to NEGladeRider for allowing us to use his awesome campground!

I am working on pictures (http://steve6719.fotopic.net/c248306.html) but here is a sample:
Ha! Great photo of "The Masher" aka I Are Baboon!
:cool:

Steff

Chimp
Dec 3, 2003
Sherwood Forest
I 've had a great week-end during this MonkeyFest. It was nice to meet all these new people.

Sorry if my english was sometimes hard to understand, I will try to improve this point for next year... or this fall! :D

Thanks to NEGladeRider for everything this week-end, and also to Douglas for his hospitality during Saturday's dinner. TreeSaw, your cake and your molten marshmallow sandwich were delicious! :thumb:

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Everyone that was at monkeyfest last year was waiting impatiently for this year's edition. Finally the east coast gathering of many members of Ridemonkey.com was last weekend at the fantastic Kingdom Trails.

This is the beautifull Ridemonkey cake that Treesaw did :thumb:

People came from all over to participate in this Mountainbike festival: Colorado, North Carolina, Virginia and even Hawaii :eek:

Our dear friend Squeak flew from Denver and came to meet us in Montreal and we drove together to Vermont early friday morning. With only a few hours of sleep the night before we had a lot of fun on the road fooling around saying stupid things and laughing our asses off.

We were so happy that Baboon and Mtnbikerchk were staying at the camp this year. I don`t know how Bab convinced his wife to sleep in a tent but I hope it will not be the last time.

Dave (non-monkey) and me had to repair the famous around the fire stunt. It was fixed in a matter of minutes and was ready to claim victims again this year :devil: and it did :dead:

MMcG, who could not come last year seemed to be very happy to be there this year.

We gathered a small group of rider for a early warmup on the friday afternoon. From left to right: Pig Boy, Isa, MMcG, Splat, Squeak, Baboon, Douglas and JohnBryanPeters. We did a 6 miles loop consisting of mainly hilly doubletracks.

Besides the great riding and the very friendly people, NEgladerider camp is a great part of the sucess of Monkeyfest. His camp is located directly on the trails with great views of Burke mountain and the surrounding. Thanks again Mark for everthing.

Steff was the first of the AllezY crew to arrive on site, Jozz and Karine would arrive a little later in the evening.

Ever since Squeak served as hiking guide for Isa that was in Denver for work we became good friends and we try to hook up every year.

The famous jump of last year also needed some light repairs but soon the jumping began.

Squirel:

Me:

Echo:

Me:

We played on the stunts and jumps all day friday. I could not stop for a second eventhough I knew I should conserve energy for the long XC ride the next day that I would attemp on my singlespeed.

From left to right: Negladerider, Echo, Dave, Deyv, Squirel, Treesaw, Bikegeek, MMcG and Tweek.

After a couple of beers, the stupid trick contest began.

One Hander on the teeter

No footer by Tweek

Wheelie off

Just a climse at crazy eye killa could kill you, imagine the mess with axe :dead:

JohnBrianPeters nephew, Pigboy, flew from Hawai to participate in the monkeyfest. Last year he saw his uncle`s famous houston we have a problem video on the big jump where he broke his arm and ironicly said that he could do better than that. He almost did. He tried the 4 foot drop at the end of the around the fire bridge and almost did a full front flip and landed on his head. We were very scared. He was finally all right but his weekend of riding was in jeopardy.

After a couple of very good beers that everyone brought from their neck of the woods we decided it was time for a Moose Alley night ride.

What a blast! I think this was my best night ride of all time. The tight and technical moose alley is perfect to fly down at ridiculous speed at night. WOW!

Saturday morning: The main event of the monkeyfest is the big loop of all the best singletrack of the kingdom trails. Mostly every joined for this epic ride. Here`s team Titus, Squeak and Isa.

The singletrack of East Burke are not very technical but the flow is awesome. Riding fast in between the trees, railing switchback after switchback, and power up the small hills is a great adrenaline rush.

Here`s Splat at the exit of Fence Line

This pics is a little blury but the smile on Bikegeek face says so much.

Squeak, Echo, Justbill and Tweek taking a well deserved rest.

Squirel is a beautifull rider to follow, he always take crazy lines but always remains terribly smooth.

Echo and me decided to be the SS brothers on that weekend. We rode our singlespeed hardtail and loved it. The kingdom trails are a blast on a SS, the snap and acceleration of the quiet drivetrain felt soo good.

My legs were really tired from mashing up the hills on the SS but even the people with gears started to feel the pain.

We were a big group but it worked very well. The group stayed together and we did not have to wait long for everyone.

Beat bug is one of my favorite trails. I made the mistake of saying it is not a hill, but it climbs all the time the group did not find this funny at all :P

We did about 17 miles and rode the best trails of the network.

This is the ride we did

Eventhought that everyone was pretty drained after the ride, the friendly chitchat, the beer drinking, the stunt riding and the great food was enjoyed by all.

Squeak really wanted to do a nite moose alley ride again on saturday night but everyone was too drunk and tired to go. Until he said: Is this a Mountainbike place or what? a group of proud warriors immediately got their nite riding gear on and went to tackle a very slippery and muddy Mosse Alley. On the way down we heard treesaw laughing and screaming from miles away. She is simply the best!

After many crashes, slids, missed turns and running into trees we reached the bottow where Isa, a big pickup truck and some cold beers were waiting for us. Life is good! Pigboy, who had recovered enough to ride, and squeak did not take the shuttle offer and rode the painfull climb back to camp. We shuttled back up to the camp sitting on the tail gate of the truck with beers in our hands while cheering the brave guys that were riding up.

The next day was supposed to be freeride ....... day for some of us But the weather was menacing and people with a lot of driving to do decide to leave early. :(

We were still able to gather enough people to form a decent group for another xc ride. We did a shorter version of the ride the day before and 2 of Negladerider friends showed us some new trails. The day turned out to be sunny , hot and beautifull. The pace was faster than the day before and after that many rides in a row combined with very hot and humid weather, we were spent...... but soooo happy!

Here`s the group of the sunday ride. Douglas (non-monkey), Squeak, Johnbrianpeters, Isa, Deyv, Pig Boy and a friend of Negladerider that I sadly forgot his name.

What a weekend: Great biking, good beers, extraordinary friends, Good times!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Nice recaps :monkey: Worth the hellishly long drive, but next year lets get closer to the real world eh? :D. I felt like I rode one day and drove the other two. Great meeting you all and a definite, big thanks to NEGladerider who I don't think I spoke a word to.

All in all: Deyv is an animal. Lots of skills out there. Can't believe Squeak actually made it and the boy can climb that's for sure. Jackalopes are a really good bunch.

Great to meet you all. If ever in the NY metro area, let me know and I'll show you around.

See you on the trails.

Ant

splat

Nam I am
Next Batch of Pics for me!!!

With these I have filled up my allocation in the gallery

any way

JohnBryanpeters on the balance beam

PigBoy trying the balance beam.

Deyv as he rides by.

Deyv on the ramp , with Burke behind him

Devy on the bridge of death

Deyv has made it to the end , and dropping the bridge.

He didn't land tooo good

Our great host trying a few tricks , well had a little problem here

Tweek Breaking the teeter tooter

Squeak , not quite ready to be an ass balancer

Justbill, kicking back enjoying a drink as the low flying aircraft go zooming above

Tweek Crashing on the bridge

and a Final photo for now , JustBill gets Owned!!

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
BikeGeek said:
You mean peak foilage? Holy tourists! :eek:

We were actually talking about early to mid-October, but nothing is set yet.
That's what I was thinking as well I'd have to be crazy to go last week in sept.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I had a great time, saw some familiar :monkey: and meet some :monkey: for the 1st time..........I did 5 rides totally about 40 miles - the Kingdom trails are awesome! I really hope to make it back this year (I opted to buy the season pass)

most of the bike pics I have, people have posted very similar ones so heres some non riding photo's

I was excited but a little bored on my solo drive up so I toke a couple pics to pass the time

I told ya I was bored

getting real close !

camp1

camp2

At a local pub, we found DARTH BAILER

Squirrel, treesaw, tweek, Squeak, Echo, IRB, JohnnyBryanPeter

Justbill, Jollytime and his dog

Isa, Treesaw, Johnnybryanpeters

Ok, one bike pic....our host on the teeter

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
As always Monkeyfest was a success, and a good time was had by all.

Great pics everyone! I sadly have no worthy pics, nor am I on any pics...

But Karine and me were there, I swear! :rolleyes: