Quantcast

Northstar Races

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Goodtimes.

Make sure you practice the course on Saturday. Sometimes there's too many people to get in more than one practice run Sunday morning before the race.

I dont think the course gets taped off until saturday, although I can't remember.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Good to know.

Do you guys have room in your camp site for one more vehicle and 2 people? lol we also don't have tents. Again, not for sure we (Ben is, but I'm still not 100% because of funds) are making it up there. If we did, I think we might head up Friday mid day or night?

My major thing is money at this point. Wedding, surgery, not having any PTO left, etc. But I think this is going to be the last weekend I can possibly make out there. =[

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Just make sure you're in line for the Gondola like an hour before it starts running. Then you'll be able to do 2 runs before half of the rest of the riders even make it up the mountain.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh,

I've got a tent (a 7 person tent), a tarp, and an air mattress you and Ben can borrow. He needs to come pick up the pedals anyway, so I can make the drop of this stuff to him then if you guys want.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Josh,

I've got a tent (a 7 person tent), a tarp, and an air mattress you and Ben can borrow. He needs to come pick up the pedals anyway, so I can make the drop of this stuff to him then if you guys want.
Woah awesome. That would be rad. I will let you know. I am going to talk things over with Emily tonight. I guess finding a camp site is the next thing...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I think you can squeeze in with us. We'll have our trailer there, and one or two other tents, but I'm pretty sure the camping limit is like 10 people. I doubt there will be an issue anyway since everyone will be gone the whole day riding. The campsite was $30 a night that we were just going to split up amongst everyone, so the more the merrier as far as we're concerned.

Make sure to bring some sort of drunken flotation device, they have a beach across the street that's great to float in after riding all day.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha awesome.

That sounds pretty solid. Still not 100% on my end, but I think Ben might want to squeeze in with you guys if that's cool?

So:

-tent - covered by mike
-camping spot - with brian
-Cost of lift tickets + race? (I know I would have to pay for Saturdays lift ticket that would be $20 with my SOC 50% off coupon, but on race day do you pay for the registration $40 and then a lift ticket $30?)
-cost of food for a couple days = ~$40-$60
-Gas - $40 each way maybe?

Am I forgetting anything?

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Ehh... this is looking to be more expensive than I originally thought. I think I am going to stay home. =[

I will forward you Ben's info and yours to him.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Got it.... Ya know, if you go up and don't race and just ride you can save $40 right there.

Northstar is still awesome to just ride at and anybody can practice the course on Saturday anyways.

Just sayin...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I know, its probably better. I would probably just end up dislocating my shoulder and having a bad time. =[

I am sad. I am going to drink the sadness away.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
dude, it's your last chance to go to northstar this year. I say do it and then drink the sadness over the fact that you're poor away afterwards :D

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
ok, i need some info quick. i'm broke as all hell, but am considering going up to Northstar this weekend for the race. Not sure yet if i'm racing or not... but might still head up to ride.

is there a vendor area (so i can set an ez up for Dean Optics)?

if so, is there a descent amount of people that show up? (compared to say Fontana - for those of you who have been there)... just trying to see if it's worth trying to sell goggles.

....or i might just stay home :(

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
there is no vendor area at Northstar. There arnt as many people as Fontana,but theres a pretty good amount of riders/racers that go. Its definitely worth riding/racing there for sure tho depending on how far the drive is.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm going to be heading out to check out Northstar and to get in some xc rides in a month. I'm getting married in Tahoe on July 18th, so i'm bringing both bikes to check out the area. I can't wait.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Leppah, I thought that you weren't going to make it out to ride...
I was having a hard time figuring out how to get my trail bike and my Dh bike out there. Originally i was taking two kids mountain bikes, one of my bikes, and my fiance's bike. My fiance doesn't want to ride. She's paranoid about getting effed up. She's had some pretty burly crashes. So she just wants to leave her bike at home. So that solved the issue of getting my DH bike out there. But then i didn't think i'd have enough room in my minivan for all of my DH gear on top of all of the stuff we are bringin.
well, i just lined up a trailer for the trip. So i'll be able to bring all of my stuff. I'm planning on hitting Northstar on friday the 17th.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Race updates, everyone. Just because you're "busy" at work at 9:15am on this Monday morning is no excuse for not updating me on how you did, and how much fun you had!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Lots of podiums in the whole group.

Ben 2nd
Brian 3rd
Bryan 2rd
Kelly 2nd

I ended up not racing. Just wasn't feeling it after going over the bars on the slabs the day before. I am sore.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha... NEVER, EVER do the slabs the day before anything.

I say "eff the slabs" and dodge them anyway. I'll take my chances on the waterfall section anyday of the week over the slabs.

Did you ride Boonies?

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, Josh's slabs wreck was pretty gnarly. I thought he was going to get launched into one of the trees for sure but he managed to land just short of em. Total mojo killer, bummer.

My hands and lungs are definitely no longer in shape for northstar. I gotta go figure out how to get my arm pump muscles in better shape before the Gypsy race, there's just not enough gnarly-ness around the bay area to prepare you for a long weekend at northstar.

That said, I had an awesome time! I missed that place so much over the winter and it was just as fun as I remembered it.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Brian, that terrain does destroy your hands. First weekend out always leaves my hands raw, sore and calloused for like a week. After that, I'm usually fine.

2-3 hours rides once a week doesn't do much to get you ready for Gnar*, that's for sure.

I'll be up there on Saturday being a punani.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Brian, that terrain does destroy your hands. First weekend out always leaves my hands raw, sore and calloused for like a week. After that, I'm usually fine.

2-3 hours rides once a week doesn't do much to get you ready for Gnar*, that's for sure.

I'll be up there on Saturday being a punani.
It's not so much my hands getting rubbed raw is it is I no longer have the hand strength. The only thing that I can think of even close to the amount of hang on over gnarly bumps while braking some is crack, but that's way too short to even be noticeable. Usually by about mid way through summer riding at Northstar I can make it a whole weekend with out getting sore hands... but right now....:fie:

And who says I only do 2-3 hour rides once a week anyhow? It's summer time after all and the sun stays on late these days.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Sixth... out of six.

I've been riding up there since opening weekend, but for some reason I woke up the sorest I've been in months today. Think I haven't been hitting it hard enough when I ride there. New plan, ride harder.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Brian,

Didn't mean anything by that. I just know that even if I rode 3-4 days a week in Santa Cruz, it wouldn't prepare my hands (arm pump, sore fingers, loss of strength, etc.) for the gnar that is Northstar.

Dirt, I'll be up there this coming Saturday. Shall we ride?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Oh yeah, Brian... I meant to mention. This little diddy right here has really helped me with hand strength and all that. They're only like $12.99.

I got a better version of this one:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Brian,

Didn't mean anything by that. I just know that even if I rode 3-4 days a week in Santa Cruz, it wouldn't prepare my hands (arm pump, sore fingers, loss of strength, etc.) for the gnar that is Northstar.

Dirt, I'll be up there this coming Saturday. Shall we ride?
Yes, let's ride. And frolic. And be merry.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Anyone get any photos of the race? I need to stroke my wounded ego by posting some up on my face book account so people can tell me how rad I am.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Oh yeah, Brian... I meant to mention. This little diddy right here has really helped me with hand strength and all that. They're only like $12.99.

Yeah, since getting a steady girlfriend a few years ago my grip hasn't had the work out that it used to.... :yes:

...these new smilies suck.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

My pennis has helped with my hand strength. At least, my right hand.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm in for that.

I usually pack food in the Camelbak and ride all day. What time will you be up there?
Saturday or Friday?

Saturday around eleven. Friday around noon. No riding on Sunday, the quasi new girlfriend person who lets me sleep in her bed type thing has sequestered me for that day.