Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've got ya both beat! I'm about 3 miles from work :) I had to drive today because I have class tonight :(
i live 1.22 miles from the hospital i'm at most weeks. (the other is ~3.7 miles away).

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's pouring rain here :( We've had foul weather since Friday night...the wind has been really bad. I guess it'll be an interesting ride to work today

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ho hum, snow Monday and near 70 yesterday. My rides sure have varied this last week. My attire for the ride in is DRASTICALLY different from my ride home.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
ho hum, snow Monday and near 70 yesterday. My rides sure have varied this last week. My attire for the ride in is DRASTICALLY different from my ride home.
Same here, I've been wearing rain gear in and the just my jeans and shirt back. It's so nice out I may ride outside this evening instead of on the Computrainer

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Rode in this morning on my Fat Chance. Changed some parts around on it, I was running 25" flat bars with bar ends. Took those off, put a 28" Azonic DH bar on and a bashguard in place of the big ring. Can't sprint through traffic now, but its not nearly as twitchy as it was.

It was 90 degrees yesterday, 48 degrees this morning on my ride in. What the heck?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I've been doing the bus-in-morning : ride-home-afternoon deal for about a week...the morning driver switched about 2 weeks ago. Some dude from equitorial Africa er some sh*t... he's wearing a down coat, scarf, and has the heat jacked to about 90 degrees...it's uncomfortable just wearing a t-shirt...I gotta wake up earlier...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
the commute in has been nice so far this week, but it rains every afternoon :( I end up muleing in my rain gear everyday because I pour sweat in it

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Rode in yesterday...34 deg start...

Rode in today...42 deg start...

We're gettin' there...

Legs = dead

I might have screwed myself though...bought two cassettes (11-23) at the end of last year when I was in pretty good riding shape. Replaced my 12-28 at the beginning of this riding season and am just realizing that, yes, it really does make that much of a difference...crap.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Its getting slightly better here, the last two days I haven't had to bring in my rain gear! :clapping:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
...and the self-righteous douchebags are starting to come out.

A little history: Last year in the span of 5 months I rode 3k+ (mostly in commuting miles...) so I have a pretty good idea of my commute route rules. (i.e. Stop lights, weird signage, light timing, etc.)

I started riding in late February this year and hopefully will log close to 5k before September.

Anyway, I digress. I roll up to a red stop light near the end of my commute into downtown Seattle yesterday morning. Some cross traffic filters by...I take off into an open space hoping to make the wave down the hill that leads to my building (if I hit it right, I zoom). I miss the next light and shut it down.

Dude pulls up next to me, "Ya know, we're never going to get the respect we deserve as cyclists if you keep running red lights."

Me: "Well, I'm glad they've appointed you ambassador, since you've clearly got your finger on the pulse. Ever heard of a right on red? Like a car? But you keep on keepin' on."

Dude: "Uh...um..."

Me: "Dude...just stop. Drop it. You were wrong."

I then hammer all the way to my office, running yellows like I'm a cab in Shanghai.

Douchebag...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i run red lights on my bike after slowing or stopping if there's no cross traffic. i'll wait during rush hour, but there's no way in hell i'm waiting for the light to cycle when i'm cycling in to harborview at 4:45 am.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I crashed on my commute this morning :( It had rained, and I was making a right hand turn when a car started to pull out in front of me...I tapped the brakes to slow down and my rear went out from under me. It happened on concrete so I came away relatively unscathed. I did tear a small hole in my rain pants :shakefist: Anyone know how to patch em??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I crashed on my commute this morning :( It had rained, and I was making a right hand turn when a car started to pull out in front of me...I tapped the brakes to slow down and my rear went out from under me. It happened on concrete so I came away relatively unscathed. I did tear a small hole in my rain pants :shakefist: Anyone know how to patch em??
duct tape

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
19 degrees yesterday morning, 29 today. By this weekend the highs are going to be close to 80 they claim. Until then it's dangerous with all the people who have turned their sprinklers on and then it freezes and the streets surrounding are ice sheets.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
40+ degrees today! Spring is good.

I got motion sick on the train today. I had to get off and lean over my bike to stop from puking. UGH! Hate that feeling. :plthumbsdown:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
19 degrees yesterday morning, 29 today. By this weekend the highs are going to be close to 80 they claim. Until then it's dangerous with all the people who have turned their sprinklers on and then it freezes and the streets surrounding are ice sheets.
It was 31 here...and FOGGY...wore my 3/4 sleeve. My forearms collected moisture droplets...then they froze!!!! Ack...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Warm ride in this morning. I lost a bar end cap on a downhill and was too tired to turn around and get it. Crap.

splat

Nam I am
Well It was timeto put my Winter commuter away for a few months so I figured I'd do some Work on it be fore storing it for the summer, and commuting on it all winter long here in the northeast took its toll.

My commuter is a Specilized Stumpjumper Hard tail with a Rock Shox Pyslo Fork.

well cleaning up the drive train I noticed I think My chainring needs replacing :)

In actuallity forget the chainring the whole crank set needs it , it is a Square Taper BB and there is some rounding going on on the crank ( after all it is 12 years old ) And one of the pedals is broken too.

Next the fork , It has siezed. so I take it a a part and as I take it a part , the Main Spring is in 10 Pieces !!

well I have all summer to get it ready for next winter :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
thats hardcore Splat...I don't think I've ever busted a fork spring!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
a new project Splat!

Another warm ride in this morning. Sun was shining, birds were chirping...I'm really beat after some hard riding the last few days so I tried to pedal as little as possible.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Its raining today :( When is summer going to get here? Hey Heidi...did you go to Bear Springs on Sunday? Miserable race, tons of running. The weather wasn't bad, but a lot of the course wasn't ridable.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Its raining today :( When is summer going to get here? Hey Heidi...did you go to Bear Springs on Sunday? Miserable race, tons of running. The weather wasn't bad, but a lot of the course wasn't ridable.
I went and rode the course before the race. It was ridiculous with all the snow sections. I love that riding with all the technical stuff though so I still had fun.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Back to winter riding clothes. I live on a hill and there is around 1/2 inch of snow left from yesterday's storm. Just half a mile down the road the snow had disappeared and I was left with barely wet pavement that didn't even kick up a stream of water...just made that cool sound that only a cyclist could love.