Quantcast

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
The day I have waited for has arrived! My friend moved into her house that is 1 mile from my office! So yesterday after work I moved my car to her house, hopped on the trusty OCR and headed home. 30 miles - after a full day of work was ugly.

And then of course today I wake up with no car, so back on the bike I go - 30 miles back to her house to shower (and she made me breakfast).

Now I'm at work and I'm achy and tired (wah). It'll get easier, right? I'm thinking about doing this once a week.
I do 35 miles round trip...with a locker room...

I hear stories around my area about people that do 30 each way...I think they're crazy!!! :D:p:rofl:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I'm 32, I'm proud to say that I don't own a car. Here's my current commuter bike.
Mostly Deore level components now (LX is shown)

What frame is that?!?! Awesome, none the less!

Rode to work Monday and Today. Yeah, gotta get better at that...
Its only 10 miles round trip, I've been riding my new CoilAir, well, just because its a new bike! Also the bottom bracket/crankset on my "commuter" is shot. Argh...

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new commuter bike. Hmm...
Do it!!!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I just want to post about how pleasant the weather has been so far this year here in CO. Not a whole lot of days above 90 degrees so far, which is a welcome change from the past few years. There has been quite a bit of rain, but not too terribly bad.

I thought of this riding in this morning, when it was so nice and cool out that it made me feel like it was May, not July. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The day I have waited for has arrived! My friend moved into her house that is 1 mile from my office! So yesterday after work I moved my car to her house, hopped on the trusty OCR and headed home. 30 miles - after a full day of work was ugly.

And then of course today I wake up with no car, so back on the bike I go - 30 miles back to her house to shower (and she made me breakfast).

Now I'm at work and I'm achy and tired (wah). It'll get easier, right? I'm thinking about doing this once a week.
Sweet! That's a long commute for sure! I only did the full commute to/from my old job (35 miles each way) once and it was TOUGH! My new commute is 16 miles each way and is much better. It'll get better for you though...no worries :thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Weather up here in Seattle has been rather nice for quite awhile. No complaints.

Found some new brake pads that are kick ass. Origin-8 makes 'em...not sure what they're called (apparently their website is blocked here at work...weird). So far, they rule.

Gonna be a hot commute home. Legs are a bit frazzled right now...but that might be due to the 200 miles I put on 'em on Saturday.

Closing in on 3k (overall roadie miles) for the year thus far...5k seems to be within reach before 1/1/10.

Commute-only miles this year: 2250

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Bound to happen. 2000 miles (almost on the nose) of commuting since last spring and I had my first wreck. It is so dumb its laughable, but my leg is all road rashed.

So...coming around the corner to my DRIVE WAY, the concrete gutter had about 1 cm of water in it. Powered when i should not have and my back wheel was gone. I was down before I even knew what hit me. I have seen it happen to Pro's on the white lines on the road and in the rain, but had never experienced it for my self. I think the closest I can come to explaining it is when you catch an edge snowboarding, and you smack the ground in an instant.

The worst part...a car with a neighbor lady was right there and she got out and said "are you ok"? Arrrrrrrg, my pride! lol

So yeah Im that guy, the one that crashes 40 feet from his house. :D

PS
Showers on road rash suck

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Bound to happen. 2000 miles (almost on the nose) of commuting since last spring and I had my first wreck. It is so dumb its laughable, but my leg is all road rashed.

So...coming around the corner to my DRIVE WAY, the concrete gutter had about 1 cm of water in it. Powered when i should not have and my back wheel was gone. I was down before I even knew what hit me. I have seen it happen to Pro's on the white lines on the road and in the rain, but had never experienced it for my self. I think the closest I can come to explaining it is when you catch an edge snowboarding, and you smack the ground in an instant.

The worst part...a car with a neighbor lady was right there and she got out and said "are you ok"? Arrrrrrrg, my pride! lol

So yeah Im that guy, the one that crashes 40 feet from his house. :D

PS
Showers on road rash suck
Yikes...that sucks. At least with those types of crashes (quick ones...) you don't have time to get a hand down and risk breaking a wrist or something.

I had that happen last year on the trail I ride...it was rainy and there were some leaves on the ground. I tried to take a chicane to fast and just washed out. Just a bunch of rash on my left calf/shin...Now when my leg tans, it looks great...just this huge patch that's a different color. Awesome.

Wait until the scab takes over some leg hair...yowza.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Don't know how much of you know, but I get paid $3 a day if I don't drive to work and my money is stacking up! I'm not one to even need any sort of additional pat on the back for riding my bike, but it's nice to be recognized I suppose. This morning I felt like I should be paying to ride in....it was so nice out.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Even though this thread appears to be dead, I thought I should post the new commuter.

Windsor Clockwork. Its set up with a freewheel right now, 46x16. Might get a fixie cog for it soon. Its a fun bike!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok so I rode in all the way today without taking the train. Will ride home as well, about 50 miles total for the day.

Man, the climbs are steeper going in! :D Also, 5:45 is too early.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
oh boo hoo :) We're gettin hit with hi temps here again too but I like it.
The funny part is that I don't like to commute when its 100 out, but I'll go do hill repeats on my road bike :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The funny part is that I don't like to commute when its 100 out, but I'll go do hill repeats on my road bike :)
Yes, up Pilot Butte 6 times in near 100 degree weather the other week. I got back to work and was freezing!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
My ride home last night sucked. I was tired from swimming at lunch and it was in the high 90's, hell, let's just call it 100 degrees.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Low 90's and humid here in Seattle yesterday...sweaty. bleh.

After getting my warranty frame, building it up, and taking last week off riding....I'm tired. 52 more miles to close out the week @ 170 and it might as well be 400 moar the way my legs are feeling...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
How long can you folks drag out of your tires?

I had my speccy front (Mondo?) Get a nice lil tear that made me trash the tire. The rear looks ok, but there is a nice flat spot in the middle where I have just worn them out.

Both tires have 1800 miles on them

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

I had my speccy front (Mondo?) Get a nice lil tear that made me trash the tire. The rear looks ok, but there is a nice flat spot in the middle where I have just worn them out.

I don't track the number of miles I get out of any of my gear :( I guess I should

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004

My front tire has almost 6k on it...Schwalbe Stelvio 25c.

Currently my rear (Continental Ultra Gatorskin 28c) has 3k and still going strong.

Yeah, squaring off the tires happens after while. Mine are like that...but it doesn't affect cornering...yet...

My usual mileage for a rear is right around 3-4k (If I don't slash it first...)

I don't track the number of miles I get out of any of my gear :( I guess I should
I just plug all my miles into an excel sheet and track when I put new parts on...pretty handy...I know approximately when my drivetrain is going to fall apart...:eek:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah, I like to hear that. Just picked on up for my deceased front and Only beef I have is its a bit smaller than my 23c specialized.
The one thing I will say is that the gatorskins use a pretty hard compound (Long life...) so grip in adverse conditions while cornering is fun...I haven't gone down yet, but I've had my rear get real sketchy on me a couple times in the wet...great tire, just something to be cautious of.

splat

Nam I am
The one thing I will say is that the gatorskins use a pretty hard compound (Long life...) so grip in adverse conditions while cornering is fun...I haven't gone down yet, but I've had my rear get real sketchy on me a couple times in the wet...great tire, just something to be cautious of.
that is my Complaint the gator skin, is that in wet conditions , don't make a hard fast turn

splat

Nam I am
Got hit by a Car today on the way in :(

I'm OK , Bikes OK

I was pedaling up Oak Hill road , it is a About a 2 mile Gradual Uphill, taking it easy going along , When All of a sudden Ka-pow , on my on my Left shoulder , glass is flying and I am just trying to hold my Bike up, I Look and see this black Pickup with its Side view irror Smashed , as I am going into some one's front yard where I dumped. I stayed down for a moment taking inventory. Left should hurt a little and my Left arm was Numb. I got back up Looked for the driver and the Dirt Bag kept going ! No where to be seen. I checked my Bike , and was thinking about just proceding on. when I decided I want a police report about this , so I called 911 and waited for the cops.

The Police arrived , a few minutes later the Ambulance Arrived , they took my Info, Radio'sd the description of the Pickup , the Paramedices checked me out I declined the Ambulance. the police made sure I was albe to ride and that My Bike worked, and I continued to work. pretty shook, But I'm here. Quite frankly I'm considering myself lucky.

Now my Shoulder is begginging to Ache.

I checked my Bike it was OK

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Bummer deal Splat! Heal up!

Commuted in today for the first time in awhile. Yesterday, for reasons I have yet to figure out, my van decided to start leaking gasoline from the gas cap. So, I'm carless at the moment.
Its a good thing though, I really, really needed to start commuting again!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You did the right thing Splat...hopefully they find the POS. I'm glad to hear you and your bike are alright.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Another nice morning. Its in the mid 70's here, chilly for us Phoenicians.
I actually have to use my light on the way in now. I like this schedule I'm on, 6:30-2:30, there is hardly any traffic in the morning.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Killer sunrise this morning. BRIGHT orange and red sun that hypnotized me as I cruised along humming to myself.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Well, I rode to work all 5 days this week. Pretty happy with it, I think I'm back in my groove again.
Anyone else wear a pollution mask? I've been riding with one this week. Its nice to know I'm not breathing in all that exhaust. I've been told its intimidating too, so that's good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well, I rode to work all 5 days this week. Pretty happy with it, I think I'm back in my groove again.
Anyone else wear a pollution mask? I've been riding with one this week. Its nice to know I'm not breathing in all that exhaust. I've been told its intimidating too, so that's good.
i'd be interested in knowing whether there's any evidence that the "pollution mask" actually helps block the stuff commonly found in our air that can get into the lungs and lodge there (ie, 2 micron particles).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
i'd be interested in knowing whether there's any evidence that the "pollution mask" actually helps block the stuff commonly found in our air that can get into the lungs and lodge there (ie, 2 micron particles).
To be honest...I'm not sure.
I wear this: http://www.respro.com/products/urban-commuting/cycling/nitesight_mask/

I can say that I don't smell exhaust when I'm sitting in traffic. I can also tell when rinse out the filter that its filtering SOMETHING.
I haven't used it enough yet to really state anything definitive, but for now, it seems to work. I don't wear it all the time, but I figure anything can help.

More info from their site:
Each filters type has a primary use in a specific environment.

1. The City filter uses Dynamic Activated Charcoal Cloth (DACC) a 95% pure charcoal weave, originally developed by the U.K. Ministry of Defence for use in the protection against chemical and bacteria warfare situations. We use DACC to effectively filter out Primary pollutants associated with vehicle exhaust emissions. The DACC is laminated with medical grade non woven polypropylene material which filters particulates from the air and helps prevent them from entering the respiratory system.

The City filter offers protection against: - Hydrocarbons. e.g. Benzene; Pyrene;1,3 Butadiene. - Acid gases. e.g. Nitrogen dioxide; Sulphur dioxide. - Photo-chemical pollutants. e.g. Low level Ozone - Particulates. e.g. Black smoke; Pollen; Lead oxide. For a more comprehensive list of all the chemicals that have tested with DACC, please go to the Industrial section of the website.

2. The Sportsta filter uses electrostatically charged fibres to attract airborne particulates down to 0.3 microns in size. 1 Micron = 1/1000mm. Unlike most particle filters which rely on mechanical retention, which inherently results in high inhalation resistance or very large cumbersome filters, the Sportsta filter offers extremely low inhalation resistance, by like comparison. The Sportsta filter offers protection against: - Pollen dust; Building dust; Clay dust; Grain dust; Soya dust; Carbon dust; House dust; Cigarette smoke. - PM10's. e.g. Diesel smoke. - Lead & Tar.

They use an activated charcoal filter. I use a City mask.

Last edited: