Quantcast

official final NORBA calendar...

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
i wish it was like the old days, money is the sport, big name sponsors, sweet venues with awesome courses, but its not here now, and i cant afford to fly to world cups so, i will just ride dh races at norbas and make the best of it, the glass is half full for me..

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i wish it was like the old days, money is the sport, big name sponsors, sweet venues with awesome courses, but its not here now, and i cant afford to fly to world cups so, i will just ride dh races at norbas and make the best of it, the glass is half full for me..
I'm not going to disagree, but paying big money to race ****ty races is lame. The only way they will understand that thing sneed to change, are when people stop showing up and paying money. Until then, they will continue to claim they are "successful".

Saying that people complain too much is absurd, your reason for racing is completely valid of course.

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
it just seems pointless to talk about it on a forum where you should be talking about bike parts or setups, ranting on a forums just wastes time, why not call or email or petition or hold meetings with people running norbas, simply not going will take awhile to change things, why cant we have a descent national race series, we are the usa, we are supposed to have so much power and control...loud noises

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
that wont happen, there are some many factory teams and company trailors that show up to nationals, and that draws people. there is no way all the racers are not goin to go to the races. to get the majority to not go is like impossible or else it would have happened already sence norba has been in the crapper for quite some time now, someone else should have enough balls and start another series

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There are major factory teams NOT Showing up to races now, and that speaks volumes. If they have a near empty pro class, it's no longer a national. Money talks.

The entire idea of a national series is on life support, someone should pull the plug already.

The big draw of the national series is just that, it's supposed to be an official national series. No other series can really compete with that, so any new promoter would be way way off the back from the get go. That's a bad business decision to make.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
what i'm looking forward to is seeing how many people still end up going to the races. for all the bitching and complaining last off season, there still seemed to be average people racing the series. if what norba is doing really pisses you off- dont go. that maybe will show them your displeasure a lot more than an interwebs forum. actions speak louder than words.
Do not attend the Norba's. Instead check out your local series or the Mountain States Cup which will be sponsored by Yeti and put on by Big Foot Productions! Prize money and good vibs! Doing two or three OK races just isn't worth it.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Do not attend the Norba's. Instead check out your local series or the Mountain States Cup which will be sponsored by Yeti and put on by Big Foot Productions! Prize money and good vibs! Doing two or three OK races just isn't worth it.

My money is on this series taking over in few more years as our national series. I have heard rumors that a lot of support with be given to these races by the factories this year aswell.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
that wont happen, there are some many factory teams and company trailors that show up to nationals, and that draws people. there is no way all the racers are not goin to go to the races. to get the majority to not go is like impossible or else it would have happened already sence norba has been in the crapper for quite some time now, someone else should have enough balls and start another series
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96962

i almost did it. but my balls are to small.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Is it me or does the series seem like it is circle the toilet:disgust:
It's going to continue to swirl downward as long as USA Cycling continues to let Frosty and Team Big Bear run the series into the ground. The blame both does and does not lay squarely upon USAC. TBB is the promoter and they are thye ones doing the damage on the ground; so you can first blame them. But then of course you can blame USAC for continuing to hire them to run the show.

They pulled such an underhanded stunt prior to year 3 of the Schweitzer Nats that I don't ever think I could respect Frosty & co. ever. But that's another story for another time.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
It's going to continue to swirl downward as long as USA Cycling continues to let Frosty and Team Big Bear run the series into the ground. The blame both does and does not lay squarely upon USAC. TBB is the promoter and they are thye ones doing the damage on the ground; so you can first blame them. But then of course you can blame USAC for continuing to hire them to run the show.

They pulled such an underhanded stunt prior to year 3 of the Schweitzer Nats that I don't ever think I could respect Frosty & co. ever. But that's another story for another time.
why another time? you've thrown it out there.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Weren't you just complaining about not getting any prize money for winning a Mountain States Cup event......? :rolleyes:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just can't see traveling to a national on Wed or Thur for a few hours of practice each day on just the race course. Then having to pay for lodging all the way through Sunday as well as a $85ish entry fee. When I can leave after work on Friday, drive to a local race, practice all day on Saturday and Sunday morning, and get home late on Sunday. Good local races are much more of a value of my time and money.

I was over NORBAs last year and I don't see me going to one next year either.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yup - for me next year, it's gonna be the Iron Horse Series in VT., the Diablo Domination Series, the U.S. Open, and maybe one of the races in the Platty Race Series, if my schedule permits.

Also: I'd really like to make it to one of the races at Whiteface in N.Y.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i smell what your cooking...the event stuff i have been working on is gnarly when you add up the cost and time needed to get things off the ground.
that is where you need chevy or visa to drop in 10k a race.
think what could get done!
One thing i would love to see is the freeriders come together with Dhers in a gravity only weekend.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Neither Fontana nor Sonoma are National quality downhill courses. not even remotely close. We have local races that put those events to shame.

The only people NOT complaining, are those who weren't around in 1997-2001 when things were what they should be.

It's awesome that you love riding your bike, but why settle for mediocrity?

very good point.

i also seem to get the drift that nationals are nothing more than a traveling regional series.
back in the early to mid ninties, i knew many many racers who did whatever it took to travel around this nation, to race all the series.
those days are long gone.

the venues were held at real riding destinations.
not this "bring the racing to the people" crap we see now.
why do they think anyone from outside of the s.california area is going to trek across the country to race fontana or sonoma ?

i'd also be willing to bet that the ones that do are the younger racers (which we need more of) who may or may not stick with the sport if their not challenged any harder than courses like that will.
older racers with the income to finance their own roadtrips aren't going to bother.

the nat's mean nothing to most of us anymore.
i had more racing enjoyment at the snowshoe series this past summer, than any national race i ever attended.

OGDMFG

Monkey
Originally Posted by Transcend
Neither Fontana nor Sonoma are National quality downhill courses. not even remotely close. We have local races that put those events to shame.

The only people NOT complaining, are those who weren't around in 1997-2001 when things were what they should be.

It's awesome that you love riding your bike, but why settle for mediocrity?

I started racing in 96 ,it used to be enjoyable to go to the races
now it it has lost all the meaning to me.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I just can't see traveling to a national on Wed or Thur for a few hours of practice each day on just the race course. Then having to pay for lodging all the way through Sunday as well as a $85ish entry fee. When I can leave after work on Friday, drive to a local race, practice all day on Saturday and Sunday morning, and get home late on Sunday. Good local races are much more of a value of my time and money.
I like going to Nationals but liike you say, the expense of vacation time and $$$ is quite high. But on the otherside i like only practicing a few hours a day and hanging and chilling with my buds the rest of time.....it gives it more of a vaction feel. People complain about the practice time but it reality most people who go to nats come home fried even with the limited practice time (if its at a real mountain).....

That being said i hope to make it to Mt. Snow next year....the rest is all local yocal racing.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I envision the ranks of the local BMX track swelling. I know I'll be there tomorrow.

But seriously, Nationals are done. Attend the one close to your home if it's a cool course and you want to see some nice tech parts on a few pro bikes. Save the rest of your money for racing every regional race you can get to. We all need to build DH back from the ground up and swelling the ranks of the local DH's is the key to returning to prominence.

Once we infuse the regional races over several years and feed the sport some new life blood, we can take a look at stepping back up to a National series. But the top of this tree is dead because it's roots aren't getting watered.

Water the roots and the rest will come later.

Robusto

Monkey
I just started racing this year, but why dont they ever hold any races @ some of the quality venues on the East Coast? The only Norba I raced last year was the VA state championship at Massanutten, and there was only one run to ride all weekend, with terrain that wasnt very challenging. A month later, I raced at Snowshoe, and could barely get myself down to the bottom. It was so much more technical and a much nicer venue due to the plethora of other trails to ride. Again this is only my first year of racing and Ive only been to two mountains, but I can say that the races at Snowshoe were way nicer than the Norba I raced. Why don't they run some races at some of the better known races in the NE?

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Reading this thread is giving me serious second thoughts on my plans for next season.... I'm from south eastern canada and was/am planning on saving up loads of money over the winter and racing the entire Norba curcuit.

Maybe I should just look into doing a couple North Eastern US series'?:brow:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Reading this thread is giving me serious second thoughts on my plans for next season.... I'm from south eastern canada and was/am planning on saving up loads of money over the winter and racing the entire Norba curcuit.

Maybe I should just look into doing a couple North Eastern US series'?:brow:
Don't forget coming on down to race Snowshoe during that time. You can pick up some cash and prizes and get in tons of runs on lots of different trails on 2 different sides of the mountain! It's a big mountain with tons and tons of trails.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
If there were a LEGIT East Coast DH series combining all of the major mountains, how many folks would be interested in attending?

-ska todd

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
east cost should have it own DH organization, and the west coast should have one too. non-norba of course. norba is a bunch oif crack daddies.

then we can meet for an 'all star' event once a year and crown national champs. they do this in amatuer moto. you qualify out of your district, then go to the big race at loretta's. i'd like that alot. would be a good time.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Do Bromont, the US Open, Ste Anne, Angel Fire etc. All that US travel money would easily pay for a trip to Schladming and angel fire.
The thing is like someone else pointed out, what will look better on a resume? and will get companies more exposure? Doing the entire Norba curcuit? Or select Norba's and Series Races?

I to would for sure be down for a legit eastern series

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The thing is like someone else pointed out, what will look better on a resume? and will get companies more exposure? Doing the entire Norba curcuit? Or select Norba's and Series Races?

I to would for sure be down for a legit eastern series
Nobody cares about US national events anymore, including US based sponsors. Case in point: Jeff Beatty gets second at Fontana. No one knows who he is, still.

3 world cups, crankworx, us open etc will have MUCH more value then any norba race.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Do Bromont, the US Open, Ste Anne, Angel Fire etc. All that US travel money would easily pay for a trip to Schladming and angel fire.
Transcend said:
3 world cups, crankworx, us open etc will have MUCH more value then any norba race.
Transcend,

What is the big event going on in Bromont next year? Did I miss something?

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
If there were a LEGIT East Coast DH series combining all of the major mountains, how many folks would be interested in attending?

-ska todd
Since each of the "major mountains" will be running a series next year, i.e., Snowshoe, Plattekill, Diablo, Mt. Snow, the Mid-Atlantic Series venues, and Whiteface (perhaps), it might be possible to get each of them to designate one of their scheduled races as part of the East Coast Downhill Series. Perhaps, make it a double points race for their individual series. Somehow, you will have to convince Platty and Mt. Snow to ditch NORBA (no offense to the new industry trustee).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Transcend,

What is the big event going on in Bromont next year? Did I miss something?
A Canada cup. There is one there end of May every year. Usually a decent course, usually decently organized, and around $40-50cnd to register. You get 2 full practice days, then a 3 hour morning practice session.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Somehow, you will have to convince Platty and Mt. Snow to ditch NORBA (no offense to the new industry trustee).
Not saying you'd have to ditch Norba...

What we have to recognize here is that Norba does NOT = TBB/NMBS...once you learn to seperate the two you can start seeing the big picture more clearly.

-ska todd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not saying you'd have to ditch Norba...

What we have to recognize here is that Norba does NOT = TBB/NMBS...once you learn to seperate the two you can start seeing the big picture more clearly.

-ska todd
While I agree that it's TBB running things into the ground, losing sponsors and being horrible at organization in general, you have to wonder WHY norba keeps sanctioning the events and giving them the go ahead.

Seeing as you are the new industry rep, can you give us a clear explanation for this? I man, it isn't like anyone has been silent on this, press and riders included.

Why not find another promoter, shop it around, or simply pull the plug for now on a "national" mountain bike series for DH and 4x seeing as it isn't serving any purpose (no points) besides being a money maker for TBB?

I ask this seriously, not being an ass.

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
once you learn to seperate the two you can start seeing the big picture more clearly.
Sorry, but as long as NATIONAL Offroad Biking Association continues to promulgate a NATIONAL Mountain Biking Series, NORBA = NMBS.

As far as TBB/NMBS is concerned, when they learn to separate themselves, people will have the big picture. As I understand it, NORBA released a bid package to promoters for the NMBS. From amongst the bids they received, NORBA chose this particular group of promoters, with these venues on these dates. How do they escape blameless?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Sorry, but as long as NATIONAL Offroad Biking Association continues to promulgate a NATIONAL Mountain Biking Series, NORBA = NMBS.

As far as TBB/NMBS is concerned, when they learn to separate themselves, people will have the big picture. As I understand it, NORBA released a bid package to promoters for the NMBS. From amongst the bids they received, NORBA chose this particular group of promoters, with these venues on these dates. How do they escape blameless?
that is some info i have never heard.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
One step at a time people. Seriously, don't lump the two together. Look at this longer term than just the 06 season. Start looking out to 07, 08, and beyond. Many people are seriously working their arses off to make some good changes. I think everyone involved on the inside is well aware of the situation and are taking steps. Will a magic wand make everything better by first race of 07? Nope, but 'times they are a changin'

-ska todd