Quantcast

Oh no...this is not good.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Get this, it happened while the forks were off the bike...so I have no idea. I haven't torqued the pinch bolts hard at all and this morning I'm cleaning them up and noticed this little problem.

They are already in the shipping dept. at work, all ready to be sent in. MArz will decide whether it's warranty or not. Honestly I can't tell you what the hell happened. It could be a warranty issue, it could have been my ham-handed wrenching.

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
All I can tell you is a very good friend of mine had a similar problem with a Z150 of his this past summer at Whistler and Bryson himself told him he'd have to buy a new one because it wasn't a warranty issue. On his it was the little tab underneath the leg that the QR20 lower plate swivels on. My buddy is an older established ex-roadie and most definitely knows how to wrench and take care of his equipment. In other words he didn't over-torque anything and he still got shut down. In fact he got shut down in a rather rude fashion. I was pretty disappointed by that so I tried to talk to Bryson and Tom and they were somewhat friendlier but not friendly by any means but they still wouldn't even consider a warranty which kind of surprised me given the circumstances.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
The funny thing is that I can't even say I was JRA...damn!
Maybe if we can get like 50 people to break thier forks in the same place all at once, they will think it's a warranty problem and recall the forks and we will all get NEW stickers on our NEW lowers. So how about it everybody? Eh?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
El_Chimichanga said:
The funny thing is that I can't even say I was JRA...damn!
Maybe if we can get like 50 people to break thier forks in the same place all at once, they will think it's a warranty problem and recall the forks and we will all get NEW stickers on our NEW lowers. So how about it everybody? Eh?

I think there probably already are at least 50 of those that have broken there. And have voids in the casting that makes them leak............

If I were a higher up in Zoke, I'd be embarassed to have Bryson representing or owning the branch of my company in the US. That guy is just straight up rude to the people on his products.

Good luck man.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
El_Chimichanga said:
I haven't torqued the pinch bolts hard at all and this morning I'm cleaning them up and noticed this little problem.
Torque wrench?

No?

Oh well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
On the QR20 how would you use a torque wrench? It has flaps that you hand tighten w/o tools...

Now on the 888 yes but as long as you used a short allen you'd be hard pressed to over do it I'd think.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Really? Wow. I guess I didn't realize that Bryson kind of had a bad rap.

Well, good luck to me. The guy was really nice on the phone when I was talking to the warranty dept. Answered all my questions and what-not. Apparently there's a 2 week turn-around. :( I don't have a bike right now anyways, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Brian Peterson is a cool dude though right? He always seems to be real level headed here on RM. At least we got people like him over there at the ol' Marzocchi factory.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
On the QR20 how would you use a torque wrench? It has flaps that you hand tighten w/o tools...

Now on the 888 yes but as long as you used a short allen you'd be hard pressed to over do it I'd think.
Umm, don't torque wrenches cost like 300$? Fvck that! HAHHAHHA!
Seriously, maybe I started a hairline crack while actually using the fork, but I really think it happend in transit to work this morning. I have no clue though. And no, I don't have a torque wrench. Niether does the bike shop I go to the most. And seriously, when you are out in the woods, and have to change your front tube, are you going to sport a torque wrench in your camelback? I think not.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I think I paid $15 for my torque wrench. I wouldn't trust it to torque bolts on a nuclear reactor, but it at least gets me in the ball park on bike stuff. Most auto parts stores (kragen, checker, autozone, pepboys) carry a line of cheap tools that are in most cases just good enough to get one job done, that's where you'll find your budget priced torque wrench. I think Sears has one for about $50 if that's your thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I didn't mean to give a bad impression of Zoke USA in general. Literally all of the folks I've ever dealt with have been extremely helpful and down to earth.......except bryson. There's a friend of mine on this board who could elaborate on a situation we were both there for last year at Whistler but I think he's too polite. Maybe he was just having a bad day. From other's experiences though it seems that many of his days may be bad ones. I've only been around the guy once or twice and he definitely made it clear he was far too busy and I was far too insignificant to warrant any of his attention.

Regardless, the broken dropouts are a consistent enough problem with the 888 lowers that Zoke shouldn't just deny you any sort of hookup for a replacement.....free, reduced price whatever...... I hope they do.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Kornphlake said:
I think I paid $15 for my torque wrench. I wouldn't trust it to torque bolts on a nuclear reactor, but it at least gets me in the ball park on bike stuff. Most auto parts stores (kragen, checker, autozone, pepboys) carry a line of cheap tools that are in most cases just good enough to get one job done, that's where you'll find your budget priced torque wrench. I think Sears has one for about $50 if that's your thing.
I'll have to check into that. I've looked a couple times and most places have those goofy sized torque wrenches made for working on cars. Bicycle instructions are always like, "...torque to 50 inch/lbs" and the ones I was looking at started at 75. Then I went online and the smaller, more reasonable size ones were uber expensive. Then I gave up. Yes, I'm a quitter. :stosh:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
punkassean said:

On the QR20, yeah that's lame if they don't warranty that.

On the 888?

http://www.marzocchi.com/system/2604/2004-bomber-en.pdf

See pages 32 and 49.

They put the torque values in there for a reason, to keep them from having to replace lowers.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
kidwoo said:
free, reduced price whatever...... I hope they do.
The dude said, "Well, if they warranty it then you can spend the 150$ on a new flat crown, if they don't then, well, the money will go towards your lowers."

Reduced price would be nice, and really, I don't want them to rebuild it, I had the oil height all customed and perfect. So if they could have just sent me new lowers or whatever I would have been happy. Thier prolly gonna use sh!tty oil and I'll have to redo it again anyways. We'll see in 2 week now won't we?

I'm going to e-defend my wrenching skillz here, I'm pretty careful usually when I'm putting my stuff together, so I'm rather surprised that this happened. I haven't done something like this in a long time.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
That same exact thing happened to my '04 888. My LBS said it would be a month turn-around. Then I found out that zoch headquarters is just 40 miles from my place. I called them ahead, explained what happened, then showed up yesterday. They replaced the lowers, put on new seals, and made some internal adjustments in under an hour!! Did I mention there was no questioning as to how it happened, and it didn't cost me a dime. Guys name was Michael that helped me out.

I wish you the same experience. Oh yeah, the other cool thing was being able to check out the one of a kind '06 rear shock on this guys VP Free. SICK!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
bfranke said:
That same exact thing happened to my '04 888. My LBS said it would be a month turn-around. Then I found out that zoch headquarters is just 40 miles from my place. I called them ahead, explained what happened, then showed up yesterday. They replaced the lowers, put on new seals, and made some internal adjustments in under an hour!! Did I mention there was no questioning as to how it happened, and it didn't cost me a dime. Guys name was Michael that helped me out.

I wish you the same experience. Oh yeah, the other cool thing was being able to check out the one of a kind '06 rear shock on this guys VP Free. SICK!
Maybe I should have sent my forks to you with a fiver?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
El_Chimichanga said:
I'm going to e-defend my wrenching skillz here, I'm pretty careful usually when I'm putting my stuff together, so I'm rather surprised that this happened. I haven't done something like this in a long time.
I'm sure you're a fine wrench, but...

You'd be very surprised if you tightened those bolts to spec, then put a hand wrench on them and saw how NOT tight they'd be.

I was a shop wrench, and pretty much any fork crown or lower got the torque wrench treatment from me. I trusted my hand at anything but cast and forged fork parts.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
H8R said:
I'm sure you're a fine wrench, but...

You'd be very surprised if you tightened those bolts to spec, then put a hand wrench on them and saw how NOT tight they'd be.

I was a shop wrench, and pretty much any fork crown or lower got the torque wrench treatment from me. I trusted my hand at anything but cast and forged fork parts.
Well, then I'll have to remeber that. Thanks man.
Somebody point me to a decent torque wrench...pls?
Only problem is, all the tools I buy, my friends borrow and then run away with them or loose 'em or leave them out in the rain. BASTARDS. This means you bikeninja!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah and although some people here seem to think otherwise I don't see how the fork will be any stiffer if those pinch bolts are super tight, as opposed to just kinda tight. (Yes, "super tight" and "kinda tight" are precise measurements that show up on most high quality torque wrenches.)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
El_Chimichanga said:
Well, then I'll have to remeber that. Thanks man.
Somebody point me to a decent torque wrench...pls?
Only problem is, all the tools I buy, my friends borrow and then run away with them or loose 'em or leave them out in the rain. BASTARDS. This means you bikeninja!
Park makes one for about $40. (I think it was that much) I saw it at REI the other day.

Syntace makes the dope one, about $130

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've done that twice.

First time with a torque wrench to Marz setting.

Second time with a t-handle and two fingers.

Third time I just barely snugged the bolts and covered them with duct tape to keep 'em from falling out.

Both times Marzocchi cheerfully warrantied the fork. But I was without a fork for most of last summer. What really sucks is I like the way the fork rides but don't trust it to last for very long.

There is not enough material there to support the stress of the pinch bolts. The lowers need to be redesigned. Hehehehe...Go-Ride lowers. I'd buy 'em!!!

Mike

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
kidwoo said:
Yah and then go-ride non-fading stanchions, go-ride true ending stroke compression dampers............ The cuervo was just the beginning!!!!!
pffft get with the times Kevin, If youre cool like me you already have the Go-ride Snackpak, Go-Ride Liquor, and Go-Ride Hydraulic Oil

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
OK free t shirt to curb Hucker,But you need to let us license your SnackPack!
Hilarius!! :dancing:
Really though call us for your T and a sticker re-stock!

Should our CNC'd titanium lowers be all black or just black lazer etched lightening bolts on the brushed Ti surface???We just can't decide...

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
leprechaun said:

Should our CNC'd titanium lowers be all black or just black lazer etched lightening bolts on the brushed Ti surface???We just can't decide...
EVERYZING BLACK! BLACK IS TEH NEW PINK!!!!!!1

My buddy at work may sell me his Torque wrench, so I think I got that covered. *fingers crossed*

Now how about that 91% Go-Ride brand Booze! Looks like not ALL the liquor is 5% in Utah! HA! Maybe we know what stunted Krispy's growth in High school. Sure did help grow some cahones on him though, have you seen him huck?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Curb Hucker said:
pffft get with the times Kevin, If youre cool like me you already have the Go-ride Snackpak, Go-Ride Liquor, and Go-Ride Hydraulic Oil

Too fookin' funny!!! :p

Now I need the "Go-Ride Clean-Beer-off-the-Keyboard" wipes!

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm glad I stayed with a SuperT.

Funny how evyone thinks they need this great new race fork (except those that got it with a complete bike).....look at the 2 problems they are having thus far...

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
leprechaun said:
Just show this to James I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it. Ive got some stuff on order already so just throw a Defender T (XL) in with my order. And I think the Go-Ride alcohol is defective, I just drank a shot of it and my spinal cord feels all tingly.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Park makes torque wrenches, both 3/8 and 1/4" models, obviously intended for bicycle use. Your local Home Depot *might* have a beam-style Husky torque wrench calibrated in inch/lbs. I had one till the plastic pointer broke off, and they couldn't replace it.

This one from Craftsman is a bit spendier, but looks good... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00934186000

You can check Snap-on and McMaster-Carr to find nicer, more expensive ones. This one from McMaster looks cool...the "High Accuracy Torque Wrench," ball-grip variant, 3/8 drive, 0-25 in/lbs in 1 in/lb increments, or 0-50 in 2 in/lb increments...all for the reasonable price of $220 or so. http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=2636&CtlgEdition=&RelatedCtlgPgs=2633,2634,2635,2636,2637,2638,2639,2640,2641&sesnextrep=503270241771957&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=657&ToolsetID=ToolMultiPageNav&ToolsetAct=
Park tools run around $40, I think, so pick your poision.

MD

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nice one Kidwoo, going above and beyond the call.

Funny now I've a got a craving to get drunk, eat some puddin', and play with hydro fluid...

I was gonna send a pic of something else with a Go-ride sticker on it...but the adhesive really hurts when you pull the sticker off, and I would probably get banned instead of a t-shirt.

:dancing:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
As for torque wrenches, I'd recommend you get a beam-style one, rather than a ratchet. If the beam is off, you'll know it and you can more or less calibrate it by hand. If the ratchet is off, you'll probably find out when you break your 888 lowers, or when you send it off to have it certified (which costs about as much as a new one IIRC).

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
My buddie's 888 just broke there too. I think it's another warranty issue. He sent it off. Hope it all works out. His friend just got his 888 back for the seeping lowers. I'm glad I bought the Shiver.