Quantcast

Ohlins Prototype rear shock?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What worries me is how accurate the tunes will be, especially if they only have a small adjustment range externally.

I'm sure Ohlins know what they're doing, but I made the same mistake buying a BOS shock once, and the tune was ridiculously far off - massive compression spiking and pretty awful rebound curves to match. They made it sound like user error when I contacted them, and then years later quietly changed the tune to a different one.

It's a lot of money to spend to have to risk dealing with something like that, as different frames can have very different valving requirements. I would personally rather have more adjustment range so the initial tune is less critical.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is that tatt tied in with scars on his leg? It's a lot better than a lot of tatts out there and I'm sure it has more meaning to the owner than the "Only God Can Judge Me" that appears on the legs and arms of kids everywhere.

I really really like my BOS shock but a tiny bit more HSC would have made it perfect, and a service haha.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Is that tatt tied in with scars on his leg? It's a lot better than a lot of tatts out there and I'm sure it has more meaning to the owner than the "Only God Can Judge Me" that appears on the legs and arms of kids everywhere.
More disturbing than the tatt is the fact that he is shaving his legs. :shocked:
Roadies normally don't appreciate Ohlins shocks....:confused:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What worries me is how accurate the tunes will be, especially if they only have a small adjustment range externally.

I'm sure Ohlins know what they're doing, but I made the same mistake buying a BOS shock once, and the tune was ridiculously far off - massive compression spiking and pretty awful rebound curves to match. They made it sound like user error when I contacted them, and then years later quietly changed the tune to a different one.

It's a lot of money to spend to have to risk dealing with something like that, as different frames can have very different valving requirements. I would personally rather have more adjustment range so the initial tune is less critical.
BOOM.

What he said.

What I'm wondering is if the "aftermarket" TTX will have limited adjustability like that found on the Demos OR if it will have a wide range like that found on the CCDB. Given Udi's astute observation it would make sense for it to be the latter. I would add, even though Ohlins may offer frame specific tunes, if the adjustment range is limited some riders may still not be able to get the damper behavior to suit their riding style.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I still don't see a reason swapping a ccdb out for this...

Is there a patent held by Cane Creek for the wide-range layout?

Last edited: