Quantcast

Old School!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Must have been a world cup event then. The Youtube title mislead me I guess.

Some More: World Champs in Are (Sweden) 1999:
ya, I think 95 was the last time cap d'ail was on the schedule for a world cup. I went in 93 and 94, was first time I met Beneke and Warner...seeing them sticks in my mind....seeing missy's giant naked boobs at the hotel pool was another thing that sticks in my mind.

Are' Sweden, It was wicked fast, Palmer having fastest split time and loosing it on pavement was a highlight.
Matti L told me a few months back- "ya know Stik, the first time I met you was in Are'...it was 3am on sat night, I had just sat down to have a hamburger and you and peaty came up totally drunk and started pissing all over where i was sitting...then you pissed on my hamburger...I was bummed cause I was so f-ing hungry".

I swore to him that he was full of crap because I remember pretty well my antics there and I never would have done that, but he stands by his tale. I bought him some tacos though last time he was here to make up for it.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
nico raising hand b/f the finish or CAP. that was rad! i have never seen that.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Not only TV, they had helicopters to shuttle the winner back up to the start to keep things moving.
I remember watching that on TV when I was younger, funny thing is that Jurgen Beneke is still killing it!!

Imust have been 1994 when he was racing Myles Rockwell in the finals. 2 guys next to eachother going 60mph with rim brakes and 2.5 inched of travel.

I think they had multiple helicopters filming and taking the dudeds back up.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I remember watching that on TV when I was younger, funny thing is that Jurgen Beneke is still killing it!!

Imust have been 1994 when he was racing Myles Rockwell in the finals. 2 guys next to eachother going 60mph with rim brakes and 2.5 inched of travel.

I think they had multiple helicopters filming and taking the dudeds back up.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Some more! Mont Saint Anne 1994 DH World Cup. Quebec City is my hometown and I can remember trying to link the whole WC course from top to bottom with a XC hardtail equipped with a Judy XC fork. Epic stuff. These guys must have endured quite a lot of pain, it's a long run from top to bottom.

There is a pro mechanic tip at about the 7th minute. Steve Graveknites or something; nice cowboy hat!

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Zoro, I am wondering if converting all the VHS I have to DVD is worth my time if I can just get it all on youtube haha....I have all this stuff and been converting them over the months.

Steve 'Gravy' Gravenites of volvo/cannondale fame and team yeti, gravy wheels, etc.

93' MSA I was Iron Horse team mechanic, going into the event Andrew Shandro had won 3 years in a row, his 4th try I was his mechanic. He blew both wheels up in his run-I was psyched. ;)

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Is that really it, mountain biking was just a fad to the general public.

Its so much more intense now and more fun to watch. Its funny that such lame riding (the "racing" is still intense) is still so much fun to watch. Imagine if there was that much excitement and the current level or riding. Freeriding is cool and all, but that would be awesome.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Is that really it, mountain biking was just a fad to the general public.

Its so much more intense now and more fun to watch. Its funny that such lame riding (the "racing" is still intense) is still so much fun to watch. Imagine if there was that much excitement and the current level or riding. Freeriding is cool and all, but that would be awesome.

It is a complicated and intriguing sociological study, but the brief synopsis is yes, that early-mid 90's American zenith was a bit of an illogical buble.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Its interesting stuff, does anyone have any links more information from that era?

I'm really impressed by the kamikaze, ****ing insane speeds.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Its interesting stuff, does anyone have any links more information from that era?
Stikman must have something for ya! He was there through most of that era.

Trying to find my favorite MTB film ever, but lost the VHS. It was called Bragging Rights I think. In the intro of the movie, you could see Lopes manualing down a steep pavement hill. There was also a part in the movie filmed in Snoqualmie Pass. Everybody looked owned by the course (bit like Champery last year) and then comes Nico, looking ultra smooth. I think Peaty won that WC. Anyway, does anybody still have a copy of that vid?

This page recaps all of the 1998 Word Cup action, including Cedric's win in Nevegal! CLICKY

Last edited:

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Very cool seeing that stuff, But iv'e got a question why do they put the hail bails on that corner right when you enter the last major turn before going onto the acces road which leads to all the lakes. I almost died going into the hail bails, i cant stop in time it would be better just falling off the little hill onto the road then flying over the bars to the ground.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stikman must have something for ya! He was there through most of that era.

Trying to find my favorite MTB film ever, but lost the VHS. It was called Bragging Rights I think. In the intro of the movie, you could see Lopes manualing down a steep pavement hill. There was also a part in the movie filmed in Snoqualmie Pass. Everybody looked owned by the course (bit like Champery last year) and then comes Nico, looking ultra smooth. I think Peaty won that WC. Anyway, does anybody still have a copy of that vid?

This page recaps all of the 1998 Word Cup action, including Cedric's win in Nevegal! CLICKY
I have snoqualimie on vhs, have not got up to the late 90s yet though. Snoqualmie was burly...Lisa Sher beat up an official on the course there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Anyone remember Chainsmoke?

Opening scene was palmer being chased by a helicopter on his M1?

Him and Randy Lawrence baked off their asses talking about who knows what. I still have the tape but in was eaten by moisture and does not work. I think I got it for christmas in 1995, what a great flick

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Him and Randy Lawrence baked off their asses talking about who knows what. I still have the tape but in was eaten by moisture and does not work. I think I got it for christmas in 1995, what a great flick
Neither hit the pipe.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Didn't Palmer admit to smoking crack and burning down his house after he didn't make the Olympic team?
I think it was in this article: Going downhill fast and sober ; Hard-living king of gravity sports picks Torino as his next summit (USA TODAY Nov19 2005). It's in their paying archives now, so can't access it.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Didn't Palmer admit to smoking crack and burning down his house after he didn't make the Olympic team?
I was talking about back then (someone mentioned them in the 90's video). Palmer hit a rough patch few years back, hes good now...and that USA Today story was a bit embellished as well, it sold papers.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ya, I think 95 was the last time cap d'ail was on the schedule for a world cup. I went in 93 and 94, was first time I met Beneke and Warner...seeing them sticks in my mind....seeing missy's giant naked boobs at the hotel pool was another thing that sticks in my mind.

Are' Sweden, It was wicked fast, Palmer having fastest split time and loosing it on pavement was a highlight.
Matti L told me a few months back- "ya know Stik, the first time I met you was in Are'...it was 3am on sat night, I had just sat down to have a hamburger and you and peaty came up totally drunk and started pissing all over where i was sitting...then you pissed on my hamburger...I was bummed cause I was so f-ing hungry".

I swore to him that he was full of crap because I remember pretty well my antics there and I never would have done that, but he stands by his tale. I bought him some tacos though last time he was here to make up for it.
That was one of the wackest things I've ever read up in this MF. :cupidarrow: :cupidarrow: :cupidarrow:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love this thread, and the fact that I've been riding mountain bikes longer than some monkies have been alive.

Also funny to think that some of you have never known a world without mountain bikes.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Some More!

BL vs Jimmy Knight in DUAL slalom for the 1994 US Title

Johnny T wins the '94 US Dh championships in Big Bear in front of the ever present BL

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
^ funny Kight vs BL vid. Some story of background for those that care (maybe about 1 or 2 of you). Lopes and I had become good friends by this time, I had got him into riding MTB's a bit more and convinced him to race more MTB than BMX. I worked for Barracuda team this season and would help Lopes out with mechanical help when I was done with Barracuda work as Mongoose did not have a trailer/tech support, etc. So this race Kight and Lopes went into the final with only a couple points between them and I was told by the Barracuda bosses and riders to not touch Lopes' bikes haha.

Kight was so badass at slalom and DH, when he wrecked at the reebok eliminator it ruined him for good (was always scared to go fast).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Chainsmaoke was a good series. Cant remember which one but Rennie was up this way on a Yeti and boosting this 60 footer at a local MX area called Pozo talking to Intermediate MX riders and they said they wouldnt hit it. Pinned on the 42 tooth? Not sure but think it was Chainsmoke 2 here is another clip from that vid.... from late 2000 or early 2001.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Intense needed a pic of Leighs 99's worlds prototype bike intense for some history of intense thing in the mag....I shot this yesterday for fun.

I figured old bike-old schoolhouse ;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I love this thread, and the fact that I've been riding mountain bikes longer than some monkies have been alive.

Also funny to think that some of you have never known a world without mountain bikes.
high-five. i got my first mtn bike in 1984. it's been pretty cool watching the evolution of the sport over the years. amazing, really. i love to tell stories of the old days before novelties such as suspension & disc brakes were even invented.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
awesome thread! im 21, really cool to see where its been. sounds like some of you have been riding bikes faster then me for longer then my life time!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
stik, have any more pics of that bike? any old bikes actaully?

was she using that dorado in 99? :huh:
6 of my faves here
www.stiksandstones.com/1999m1/

And ya, she used that Dorado in 99', was a joy to work with ;)

We have her 1995 nicolai mongoose that she won the world championships on, it is missing the fork damper unit, but I think HB has found me one, so hope to have it built again soon for pics....such a scary bike.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
We have her 1995 nicolai mongoose that she won the world championships on, it is missing the fork damper unit, but I think HB has found me one, so hope to have it built again soon for pics....such a scary bike.
I had one of those too, just out of curiosity, could you ever get the shock to work properly and how many chainstays did you go through?
But i have to admit that i really loved the handling of that bike once i put a double crown on there.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I had one of those too, just out of curiosity, could you ever get the shock to work properly and how many chainstays did you go through?
But i have to admit that i really loved the handling of that bike once i put a double crown on there.
I personally could never get the shock dialed, nicolai spent weeks at our house, shock always felt like crap, I had a tuner dude I knew get it better, but it always sucked. For the worlds race, nicolai delivered a new shock, it worked the best, but quickly failed mid run.
And I think lopes went through 3 stays and leigh 1 or 2.
Lopes had an entire bike get run over in his condo driveway by a towtruck driver and leighs bike got stolen (out of parents garage) right before the world champs but nicolai delivered a new frameset when we got to germany worlds.....that stolen bike showed up at circlecycle in torrance a year later for repairs.