Quantcast

OMFG! Its the new Devinci

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
took this bad boy down a f*cking wet and muddy mountain track near Wales, UK yesterday running 2010 Avid Code something-or-other brakes

it was so muddy and raining so hard I was more concerned about finding my way through the gloop back to the uplift truck than listening out for resonances or funny braking noises

but I must admit I did not hear anything unusual...and it was a very inspiring bike to ride down a muddy track, helped by some great treads on there the Specialized Storm DH

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so like, welded in canada, not like "assembled in canada from parts made elsewhere" canada?

that's awesome. hmmmmmmmm.........

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so like, welded in canada, not like "assembled in canada from parts made elsewhere" canada?

I might be wrong, but I think they even get their aluminum from Alcan, which is in the same general area. So it's even made from Canadian-made aluminum. Of course the bauxite probably comes from Australia or somethin', but meh... you do what you can eh?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

Yes, it's all done in house. Remember our Imperial frames back in the day? Same factory. It's a hell of a drive up there from just about anywhere, but they've got a world class facility and a very talented group of employees.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I might be wrong, but I think they even get their aluminum from Alcan, which is in the same general area. So it's even made from Canadian-made aluminum. Of course the bauxite probably comes from Australia or somethin', but meh... you do what you can eh?
bitchin'

and priced reasonably too, for a made in NA product....
bitchin'

Yes, it's all done in house. Remember our Imperial frames back in the day? Same factory. It's a hell of a drive up there from just about anywhere, but they've got a world class facility and a very talented group of employees.
very bitchin'

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Actually the first Wilson Split Pivot prototype was being tested in Whistler over the spring and summer of 2009 several before the 1st dw-DHR prototype, and over a year before the latest version of the dw-DHR that you can buy now.

So by that merit I don't think there is much to worry about.
I stand corrected.

You coming to National Championships thar purty boy? I might can find some white lightnin' fer sum uh u northenders.....;)

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
they could not get the new tubing done right in the US or Canada

so the new hydroformed tubing (Dixon, Dexter, Wilson SP) is formed at one of the premium tubing facilities in Taiwan and then the tubes are shipped back to their plant just outside Quebec for cutting, mitre, tacking, welding, etc.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
It's the same factory shot during the intro of Life cycles, correct?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Right. But in the film there is also some stuff from the Shimano factorys.
I really like the fact that they make everything in house. If I ever get tired from my Session, this frame will definitely be in the top five for the replacement.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
they could not get the new tubing done right in the US or Canada

so the new hydroformed tubing (Dixon, Dexter, Wilson SP) is formed at one of the premium tubing facilities in Taiwan and then the tubes are shipped back to their plant just outside Quebec for cutting, mitre, tacking, welding, etc.
so let me see if I got this right: they make the tubes in Quebec, send them to be shaped in Taiwan, then the shaped tubes are sent back to Quebec, and they are welded there? :shocked: that's a lot of effort just to hydro-form tubes.... I sure hope it's worth it...

from their website:
"Every Optimum G4 tubeset is hand-welded in Canada. Our factory’s high welding and heat treatment quality standards, along with the knowledge we learned from our partnerships with the world-class aluminum industry research centres and quality aluminum producers based in our area, results in incredibly durable bikes. We’ve been doing this for more than 20 years, so we have such confidence in the quality of our frames to offer a lifetime warranty."

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Are you sure, they hydroform their tubes in Taiwan? That seems pretty expensive...
yup the tubeset is drawn in Taiwan, and then hydroformed in Taiwan, before shipping back to Canada, its not expensive with the way the Global economy now works ;)

they tried Worth and Easton in the US but the tubes could not be created domestically (the best hydroforming is done in TW - look what Specialized, Giant, etc. have on their bike frames)

I have a 2011 Dixon SP (all mountain bike) and the tubeset is a thing of engineering and manufacturing prowess

the downtube has very thin side walls with quite acute edges to the lower wall, a very thick lower wall with a domed profile (to resist dents and add strength) and a medium thickness upper wall, then you have a variable shape along the length to support the head tube and bottom bracket, its very unusual when you look at it and run your fingers down it

the other tubes are equally shaped, not stupidly bendy / curved as a visual exercise, but what was appropriate for the frame design

someone at Devinci has taken a really good look at the tubeset and then found an off-shore plant that could realise this design

the Wilson uses similar hydroforming trickery in its tubeset

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I like a lot about this company too. They've got the money for proper R&D, they stand behind their products, made in North America, a DH frame that seem to be over built and built to last, and what seems to be a quality suspension design. And if you haven't seen this bike in person, you're in for a treat. Very sexy.

obama6493

Chimp
Feb 18, 2011
The pinkbike reviewer seemed to think it helped. Certainly not going to hurt!
I am not sure about all the "tech" stuff when it comes to linkage this and that but I did get to ride a proto and the biggest thing I noticed was how easy this bike could turn, very quick in and out of the turn. Low BB and short chain stay will do that but even so it was extremely fast edge to edge er...turn to turn.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
very very nice. what's that thing weigh in at? it's pretty much the equivalent of what I'm running now (that is getting a little long in the tooth...)
I must admit I have not had the chance to weigh it yet - I've only had the bike (new frame) for a week

it definitely feels light when you pick it up (I am guessing around 27-28lb), and under power the rear of the bike feels rock solid, which combined with the SP suspension means it just goes forward without any fuss or need for pro-pedal

previous frames were 2009 Devinci Hectik Ltd (DHX 5 air) and 2010 Devinci Hectik (RP23 BV) both FSR style linkages which were great bikes, but the SP feels leagues ahead in terms of pedalling prowess and lateral ridigity

I have no idea what DW has done to get the Devinci SP designs to do exactly what they do? it just feels transparent like its not working but the bike finds traction everywhere even on the brakes

but having owned various FSR, Faux Bars and Virtual Pivot (short links) frames the SP feels like its taken the best parts of each design without the bad parts - I am sold on the hype because the performance easily matches or actually surpasses the hype :)

you can actually stand on the Wilson SP and hammer without it bouncing around all over the place, which is eerie for a 8"+ DH bike

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I must admit I have not had the chance to weigh it yet - I've only had the bike (new frame) for a week

it definitely feels light when you pick it up (I am guessing around 27-28lb), and under power the rear of the bike feels rock solid, which combined with the SP suspension means it just goes forward without any fuss or need for pro-pedal

previous frames were 2009 Devinci Hectik Ltd (DHX 5 air) and 2010 Devinci Hectik (RP23 BV) both FSR style linkages which were great bikes, but the SP feels leagues ahead in terms of pedalling prowess and lateral ridigity

I have no idea what DW has done to get the Devinci SP designs to do exactly what they do? it just feels transparent like its not working but the bike finds traction everywhere even on the brakes

but having owned various FSR, Faux Bars and Virtual Pivot (short links) frames the SP feels like its taken the best parts of each design without the bad parts - I am sold on the hype because the performance easily matches or actually surpasses the hype :)

you can actually stand on the Wilson SP and hammer without it bouncing around all over the place, which is eerie for a 8"+ DH bike
this post just made my heart race a little bit faster.... One of my local shops is a long-time dealer of DeVinci bikes. I may saunter over there to have a look at the beauty... I wonder if they sell as frame-only?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
this post just made my heart race a little bit faster.... One of my local shops is a long-time dealer of DeVinci bikes. I may saunter over there to have a look at the beauty... I wonder if they sell as frame-only?
I bought my Dixon as frame only

Devinci sell their frame-only with the same shock spec. and colour as their highest-spec models (the "SL" for 2011 Dexter, Dixon and Wilson)

this means you get the Wilson frame with the full spec. Fox RC4 (the XP bike comes with O.E. Fox RC2 shock)

you get the Dixon frame with the full spec. Fox RP23 BV (the XP bike comes with the O.E. Fox RP2 BV shock)