Quantcast

OMFG Whistler was awesome

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So I went for opening day. Ski season is still going there. I was figuring it was going to be wet and sloppy and everything but A-Line would be closed.

Well I was wrong

It was dry. It was actually DUSTY towards the bottom. But it was nice an tacky near the top. (a few little trickles across the trail, but that made it better.

And almost everything was open!! Only stuff to the right of the chair (looking up the mountain was closed). ie: Dirt merchant, Crab Apple, the lower national course.

But Schleyer, Upper/lower Joyride, Clown Shoes etc...all open. and A-line has had a LOT of work done to it. So it's in WAY better shape than last year.

I wasn't too much of a fan of Hornet. It's really gotten beat up over the years, so it's really lost its flow IMO.

Oh and it was like 80 deg and sunny. My face is nice and crispy now.

And I was actually thinking about not going. It was as good a day as I've ever had up there. It was freaking AWESOME!!!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Good to hear. I am a little worried about it being dry...thats bad news for the summer. It should still be sloppy...

Wish I could have got up, now nursing a hamstring injury that should keep me off the trails till June...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by Roasted
Good to hear. I am a little worried about it being dry...thats bad news for the summer. It should still be sloppy...

Wish I could have got up, now nursing a hamstring injury that should keep me off the trails till June...
yeah..if this keeps up, the whole mountain will just blow away in a big cloud by July...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Mocha
Ahhhh...it's good to be me!!!! :cool: ;)

You're due for a trip down here, Roasted! :D
Not till June now. At least. Tore my hamstring a couple of nights ago. Just it doesn't require surgery.

But yeah I was arranging to go down there 3rd or 4th week in june, hit up some of the trails there :)

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Roasted
Not till June now. At least. Tore my hamstring a couple of nights ago. Just it doesn't require surgery.

But yeah I was arranging to go down there 3rd or 4th week in june, hit up some of the trails there :)
ohhh...that sucks!!! Glad to hear you don't need surgery!! Heal quick, and let me know if you need a guide when you come down. I be happy to show you some big city hospitality. :D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Freak and I just got back from Whistler....It was awesome!!! We only went up for the day and it rained last night so it was a bit slick in places but it still kicked a** :D :D :D

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
Freak and I just got back from Whistler....It was awesome!!! We only went up for the day and it rained last night so it was a bit slick in places but it still kicked a** :D :D :D
I'm on the injured list as well so I decided to get my dose of mountain biking by sitting on the GLC patio watching the drops. You and Freak were impossible to miss dropping those his and hers Nicolai's!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I'm on the injured list as well so I decided to get my dose of mountain biking by sitting on the GLC patio watching the drops. You and Freak were impossible to miss dropping those his and hers Nicolai's!
What?? You act like we had some very bright celeste green bikes or something??:D

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
I ditched opening day figureing it was going to be sloppy and no work would have really been done yet. Instead I rode the Woodlot. It rules up there.
It is supposed to rain here over the next week so the dust should settle up at Whistler and bring down the fire hazard.
Gotta get my seasons pass this year........

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I'm heading up there this saturday...any monkeys gonna be around, looking to carpool from Bellingham or maybe Seattle?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Acadian
that is exactly how I feel when I ride there...

Mmike..here you go...
Did they change that up? It looks like the dirt pile has more tranny? Like they replaces some ladder rungs with some rock/dirt......also looks not as steep, but maybe its just the cameras effect.....

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by oly
Did they change that up? It looks like the dirt pile has more tranny? Like they replaces some ladder rungs with some rock/dirt......also looks not as steep, but maybe its just the cameras effect.....
it's the camera effects.....I'm pretty sure it's still the same, at least it looks the same in person.

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
I hope I'll get the same fun in late august... plane ticket are reserved now :) I'll be there Aug 20th-29th. I'm so excited.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I wish I had a camera. Just watching the GLC drop all day I saw a few guys going huge, landing near the end of the tranny. A lot of style, one guy on a lime green bike (couldn't tell what it was, maybe an M1) was pulling really nice whips off of it.

A couple of crashes of course and a disturbing amount of bike breakages.

I saw a couple of deraileurs snap off on impact of the landing, watched a guy break both chainstays on his Norco when he hit and a girl rip the swingarm mount off of her M1, everyone rode out the breakages though. The girl on the M1 looked like she had ripped the downtube in half until I realized her pedals stayed with the front half of the bike.

The funniest crash of the weekend though was a guy who must have had a bit of a panic before hitting the drop and locked the rear brake. I see this big cloud of dirt fly over the lip followed buy a guy sliding on his hip with the bike layed down. Lucky for him he didn't scrub too much speed of he would have landed on the rocks but he still had enough forward momentum to land on the wood and slide down to the end of the tranny. The next rider down did a great job of swerving to miss him and crashed right afterwords but at least he didn't run him over.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I wish I had a camera. Just watching the GLC drop all day I saw a few guys going huge, landing near the end of the tranny. A lot of style, one guy on a lime green bike (couldn't tell what it was, maybe an M1) was pulling really nice whips off of it.

That was Jeff Snowdon. formerly of Downhill Zone. And yep. That dude rips!

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
It's the same, just the camera angle making it look smaller.

With how busy they are working on the Garbanzo trails I expect they'll be making as few changes as possible on the current trails.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's the same, just the camera angle making it look smaller.

With how busy they are working on the Garbanzo trails I expect they'll be making as few changes as possible on the current trails.
The ladder is the same but there are a few changes just above it that make the trail more novice friendly:(

On the first run down, I got stuck behind Bibs and had to roll it. Its not that steep.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Yeah the guy beside me at work thought that the bridge was really long. (didn't know that it's narrower at the top than the bottom). He thought it was the perspective.

The pic also makes it look like I don't clear the bridge. But I assure you I did!! HONEST! For real!! Damned camera!!

Aug 21, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by MMike
Yeah the guy beside me at work thought that the bridge was really long. (didn't know that it's narrower at the top than the bottom). He thought it was the perspective.

The pic also makes it look like I don't clear the bridge. But I assure you I did!! HONEST! For real!! Damned camera!!

Sure Mike, sure.