Quantcast

ONE bike to rule them all (Caution: MTB related)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
http://www.divine-innovation.com/

This cannondale prophet is really the best of all worlds for me. Im done competing. I just want to ride bikes and have fun. I got to demo this bad boy at collegiate nationals and I've been thinking so much about one. It just blew me away. Best thing Ive ever ridden.

I know Cannondale gets a bad rap, "crack n' fail" and all that, but this bike is seriously the tits.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I was in the shop over the weekend for a tire, and they had a prophet on the floor. Was definitely sexy... but I didn't do much more than look at it. The frame is roughly 1lb lighter than my 575 frame, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up to people who really hammer their bikes.

Have you demo'd/ridden any other new/good trail bikes?

J

JRB

A dude I ride with was sure thinking about one. It's funny since he doesn't like Cannondale. He ultimately opted to get a 5 spot with a 130mm Float R. Peeps seem to like this bike though.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
That's pretty sick - I wonder how it would hold up on medium sized (6-12ft) stuff for those of us who aren't as buttery smooth as Cedric?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BurlyShirley said:

This cannondale prophet is really the best of all worlds for me. Im done competing. I just want to ride bikes and have fun.
That's the way I feel about my Heckler !

Seriously though I saw my first Prophet Sunday, eyeballing it, the pivot location looked VERY similar to the Heckler, as did the geometry.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Seriously though I saw my first Prophet Sunday, eyeballing it, the pivot location looked VERY similar to the Heckler, as did the geometry.
Yeah, about the only bike that compares to it is the Heckler, but as a whole bike, the way it comes spec'd the package is just amazing. I wouldnt do anything but add either a 2nd ring the the 4x model, or a bash guard the 4,000. Man is that thing light too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Saw a Prophet last weekend. Very light and I was extremely impressed with the fit and finish. I'd be all over one but the head angle is a little to slack for my tastes.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
TN said:
What did you like about it?
seriously, there was nothing not to like, that I noticed. It pedaled way better than an enduro or something with similar travel, plus it has nearly 6 inches front and rear for bigger stuff. I wont be pulling massive hucks on it, but as a trail bike with some jumps and drops thrown in, its just perfect. Consider it as a pedalable rocky mountain switch that's light as hell with no super high bottom bracket and suspension that works.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, about the only bike that compares to it is the Heckler,
Care to elaborate? There are TONS of trailbikes on the market - how is it than none of them compare to these 2 bikes? Seems like for as similar as the 575 and the heckler are, if one compares to the prophet, the other should too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
care to back up that statement? There are TONS of trailbikes on the market... how is it than none of them compare to the prophet?
Ok, of all of the bikes I have ridden thus far with my specific intended purpose, its lighter, pedals better and has more plush suspension than anything out there. One could argue something about the GF cake being light, but it doesnt fit the exact same intended purpose.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BurlyShirley said:
Ok, of all of the bikes I have ridden thus far with my specific intended purpose, its lighter, pedals better and has more plush suspension than anything out there. One could argue something about the GF cake being light, but it doesnt fit the exact same intended purpose.
Gotcha.

I trust the bike was stiff and solid? The 5.25lb frame would make me wonder... but I've never sat on one, never mind ridden one.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
Care to elaborate? There are TONS of trailbikes on the market - how is it than none of them compare to these 2 bikes? Seems like for as similar as the 575 and the heckler are, if one compares to the prophet, the other should too.
To adress the Yeti specifically, the 575 does not have a 1.5 headtube and therefor a sherman or a nixon is out of the question. The lefty is a tits fork i must say though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

The Prophet's chainstays are about 3/4" shorter but other than that they're very similar.

The adjustable geometry of the Prophet lets you give it a slacker headangle and lower BB, though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
Gotcha.

I trust the bike was stiff and solid? The 5.25lb frame would make me wonder... but I've never sat on one, never mind ridden one.
It seriously was as stiff a trail bike as Ive ridden. I of course was hesitant because you think that the tubing must be so thin, or whatever, but then take into account that cedric is racing one and all. Id do a 6-8 foot drop on it without hesitation, though it would probably void any warranty :p .

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
:stupid:

There are SO many great TrailBikes out there right now. I am actually kinda glad I got my Heckler when I did (~2 years ago). I can't imagine trying to decide between the
Heckler
5 Spot
Prophet
etc
etc
etc

As far as the GF Cake :think: after going through a total of 6 (5 swing arms and 1 mainframe) Sugar +'s. I was VERY weary when they said, hey the Cake has more travel and is just as light. :nope: They always replaced it though, so I can't complain too much. :evil:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I saw a couple of Prophets last week and they are pretty sweet looking and spec'd well for the price.

Just curious, but can you get reducers or something to run a regular fork on those frames instead of a lefty?

I have a bunch of tasty bits from my Belair that I was planning on putting on a lighter frame, so I don't really need a complete bike.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im just saying that of what I've ridden, the geometry was a hit, the bike was light, the suspension was tits, the frame seemed tough and the spec is about perfect. If Id found that in another bike, Id want one of those just as much, but thus far, Cannondale will be making some coin off me around Dec/Jan

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMcG said:
I saw a couple of Prophets last week and they are pretty sweet looking and spec'd well for the price.

Just curious, but can you get reducers or something to run a regular fork on those frames instead of a lefty?

I have a bunch of tasty bits from my Belair that I was planning on putting on a lighter frame, so I don't really need a complete bike.
That was the first question I asked. Yes you can, a standard 1.5 headset fits in fine.

J

JRB

They do make reducers for all cannondale head tubes though. You are not limited to 1.5.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Other people stated it, but just to reinforce, this is a real, 1.5 standard headtube (not something funky specifically for the Lefty). The old Cannondales were approximately 1.5, but I believe there was a difference in the allowable insertion depth of the headset. Since the introduction of the 1.5 standard, all of Cannondale's oversized headtubes are in compliance with it.

So, any of the solutions work - reducing headsets, reducers for 1 1/8" headsets, E.13 reducing cups...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
golgiaparatus said:
Wow, its really light... wonder how it will take some good abuse.
Although it is meant as a trailbike I am sure some people will buy it and push it past what it was designed for, end up braking it and then calling Cannondales fragile crap.

But if you think about a longer travel bike should see less stress than a short travel bike when ridden under the same circumstances. So why should it be heavier?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
Although it is meant as a trailbike I am sure some people will buy it and push it past what it was designed for, end up braking it and then calling Cannondales fragile crap.
does this only have to do with gaps, jumps, drops, etc.?

Westy said:
But if you think about a longer travel bike should see less stress than a short travel bike when ridden under the same circumstances. So why should it be heavier?
I find that I'm much faster on my 575 than I am on other bikes... so would that mean that the 575 (being ridden faster) sees the same amount of stress as other bikes that are being ridden slower? I'm talking about good trail/singletrack stuff...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
does this only have to do with gaps, jumps, drops, etc.?

I find that I'm much faster on my 575 than I am on other bikes... so would that mean that the 575 (being ridden faster) sees the same amount of stress as other bikes that are being ridden slower? I'm talking about good trail/singletrack stuff...
If your going faste it is probably working the bike harder.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
If your going faste it is probably working the bike harder.
so does that then negate this statement, assuming you're talking about trail bikes being used to offer greater "smoothness" (and for most of us, more speed) over the same singletrack?

Westy said:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:
so does that then negate this statement, assuming you're talking about trail bikes being used to offer greater "smoothness" (and for most of us, more speed) over the same singletrack?
Quit trying to start arguments in my thread Jackson. The 575 is a fine bike. No one cares.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jacksonpt said:
Well, if you're going faster, that's true. Westy said, "under the same circumstances", though. Implying that for the exact same use, more travel will cause a frame to be stressed less.

You can go faster on a short travel bike, too, and that will stress it more.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
MMcG said:
I thought you already had a bunch of different Konas Rip.
I only have one other Kona left besides the stuff, I have a stab primo as well which I have to box up soon to ship home. Why have two big bikes in the first place.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
Well, if you're going faster, that's true. Westy said, "under the same circumstances", though. Implying that for the exact same use, more travel will cause a frame to be stressed less.
OK... that makes sense. Seems like kind of a moot point though. How many people buy 5-6" bikes to ride the same way they do a hard tail or 3" bike?

Sorry... not trying to start an arguement, just making sure I understand Westy's point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
OK... that makes sense. Seems like kind of a moot point though. How many people buy 5-6" bikes to ride the same way they do a hard tail or 3" bike?
People like me :p

I like long rides, a longer travel bike would make the body hurt less after a few hours.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jacksonpt said:

Sorry... not trying to start an arguement, just making sure I understand Westy's point.
Dude, go check out the gallery on the link I posted. There's dudes doing north shore stunts, guys racing 4x. I think, given how it felt, and given its intended use that it will be plenty strong. No, Im not going cliff hucking on it, but the bike is, Im sure, structurally sound.

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:

Some people don't huck big stuff, but are hard on bikes. An XC guy that rides a homegrown and breaks it might buy a 5 Spot because he wants something that is built heavier for bigger stuff. He may not want to go bigger and would need something that pedals well too. Here there are a lot of guys riding trail bikes that will never go Whistler big.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:

I know Cannondale gets a bad rap, "crack n' fail" and all that, but this bike is seriously the tits.
Yeah there is this huge room that is full of all the cracked Cannondales that folks have reported over the years......

I have owned 5 Cannondales over the years and thrashed the daylights out of them and then sold or given them away. All of them are still going strong (well one F3000 got stolen so not sure how that might be surviving) now.

I got a Heckler because Cannondale didn't have that type of bike......until now. The Prophet certainly would fit the bill. The bottom bracket height is a pain on the Heckler so the Prophet is going to be a touch worse..... but that's not such a big deal.

Hope you don't have to wait too long.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
We recieved a few Prophets at the lbs a week or two ago and they are sweet. Light as balls! The frame and swingarm are quite stiff, and the lefty with the manipoo internals felt very nice. I only got to cruise around with it, and the rear shock had way too much pressure in it, but overall, it felt nice. I like the matte blue finish, it looks sweet. I'd ride it. :thumb: