One for the Critical Mass haters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Minivan's rude introduction to Critical Smash

Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It was supposed to be a birthday night out for the kids in San Francisco, but instead turned into a Critical Mass horror show -- complete with a pummeled car, a smashed rear window and little children screaming in terror.

The spontaneous Critical Mass bike rides, in which thousands of free-spirited cyclists roam the city, have been a fixture on the last Friday night of the month since the early 1990s. But even bike-weary cops, who have seen their share of traffic disturbances and minor skirmishes, weren't prepared for what happened during the latest exercise of pedal power.

Here's the story:

Susan Ferrando, her husband, their two children and three preteens had come to San Francisco from Redwood City to celebrate the birthday of Ferrando's 11-year-old daughter. They went to Japantown, where they enjoyed shopping and taking in the blooming cherry blossoms.

Things took a turn for the worse at about 9 p.m., when the family was leaving Japantown -- just as the party of about 3,000 bikers was winding down its monthly red-lights-be-damned ride through the city.

Suddenly, Ferrando said, her car was surrounded by hundreds of cyclists.

Not being from San Francisco, Ferrando thought she might have inadvertently crossed paths with a bicycle race and couldn't figure out why the police, who she had just passed, hadn't warned her.

Confusion, however, quickly turned to terror, she said, when the swarming cyclists began wildly circling around and then running into the sides of her Toyota van.

Filled with panic, Ferrando said, she started inching forward until coming to a stop at Post and Gough streets, where she was surrounded by bikers on all sides.

A biker in front blocked her as another biker began pounding on the windshield. Another was pounding on her window. Another pounded the other side.

"It seemed like they were using their bikes as weapons,'' Ferrando said. One of the bikers then threw his bike -- shattering the rear window and terrifying the young girls inside.

All the while, Ferrando was screaming, "There are children in this car! There are children in this car!"

She had the presence of mind to dial 911 on her cell phone -- and within minutes, the squad of motorcycle cops who were assigned to keep an eye on the ride descended on the scene.

The cyclists were loudly demanding that Ferrando be arrested for hit and run.

According to police, Ferrando had allegedly tapped one of the cyclists' tires.

When the alleged bicycle victim was approached, however, he said he wasn't hurt. He also refused to give his name or any other information.

Then, after a few swear words, the alleged victim took off on his bike while the rest of the crowd continued to yell at both the cops and the van.

Sgt. Ed Callejas -- the lead cop on the scene and a veteran of Critical Mass rides since their inception -- said he'd never seen anything like it before.

"I've seen the bikes swarm cars, and scratch them as they go by. I've seen guys get out of their cars and start fighting with the bikers, but if you had seen the faces on those little girls in tears,'' Callejas said. "All I could do was apologize for what they had been through."

The sergeant suggested that Ferrando write a letter to the mayor.

Estimated damage to the car: $5,300.

For Callejas and other cops assigned to the bike ride, Critical Mass has long been a study in contradictions.

For starters, San Francisco is a "green" city, and bike riding is about as green as you can get -- yet residents and commuters complain endlessly about getting trapped in the rides.

The city tries to ignore the unplanned rides, but there are always cops on hand to monitor the gatherings, even though any kind of traffic planning is impossible because no route is announced.

And even though the rides are held every month, Critical Mass has no organized leadership -- so no one can be held accountable for the group's actions.

In 1997, then-Mayor Willie Brown tried to control the rides. The result was anarchy and mass arrests.

Since then, the rides have shrunk in size. The city's generally hands-off attitude leaves cops as little more than bystanders.

"We sit there and they just go right through the red lights,'' Sgt. Callejas said. "What else can we do? Arrest one rider while 500 keep going?

"The only way to control this is through a massive effort by police and the Sheriff's Department,'' he said.

As for reaction from City Hall, Mayor Gavin Newsom said such acts of violence -- if true -- "only serve to undermine the worthwhile message of Critical Mass, which is to raise the awareness of bike transportation issues."

The mayor also said that -- if the charges are grounded -- he expected the attackers to be "punished to the greatest extent of the law."

Riiight.
I was on this Critical Mass, but I left way before this incident. I have seen bikes get run over before, resulting in the same car damage. I have also heard of someone breaking a leg in the same kind of incident, where a confused and angry motorist guns it.

BTW, my rule about Critical Mass is do nothing you wouldn't do by yourself. I wouldn't smash a window alone, and I wouldn't do it here.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
WTF you supporting theses critcal assholes? Theses turists were merley in the wrong place at the wrong time.
They were trying to move & clipped a cyclist. Then Mob Mentality took over & a bunch of you dumb Fvcks statred beating her car.

You want poeple to support cycling right? I mean thats the point right?

Well when a bunch of dumbasses do **** like this it makes poeple hate cyclist. When they think of critcal mass there going to rember this negitive publicity.

It only takes one dumbass to screw it up for everyone. (And you guys have a s_ load of dumbasses)

I have an Idea, How about instead of being a dousche on firday nights you go to a city hall meeting and ask for bike lanes. Write you congressman, Create a pettion, Contact radio station & create mailers.

Don't screw with everyones lives. Those Turist just wanted to have a nice family vaction, Now they are going to go home & remember how much San Francisco sucked.

If you like to bike thats great for you. You shouldn't feel high and mighty about biking. Slef satisfaction is the best feeling. Be happy for yourself.

Biking does not make you better than everone else.

A Soccer mom with four kids cannot ride a bike. Are you better than her because you do?

Dumb @$$

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It only takes one dumbass to screw it up for everyone. (And you guys have a s_ load of dumbasses)

I have an Idea, How about instead of being a dousche on firday nights you go to a city hall meeting and ask for bike lanes. Write you congressman, Create a pettion, Contact radio station & create mailers.

Don't screw with everyones lives. Those Turist just wanted to have a nice family vaction, Now they are going to go home & remember how much San Francisco sucked.

If you like to bike thats great for you. You shouldn't feel high and mighty about biking. Slef satisfaction is the best feeling. Be happy for yourself.

A Soccer mom with four kids cannot ride a bike. Are you better than her because you do?

Dumb @$$
1. These folks are from Redwood City, 20 miles outside of SF.
2. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, which has been extremely helpful in creating more bike access, has its roots in Critical Mass. They mention it every month in their calendar.
3. Ever been hit by a minivan?
4. I hope you are not directing your venom at me. I disagree with any violence, particularily the mob mentality.
5. Finally, it sounds like the woman driving was a dumbass. All you have to do is wait and the Critical Mass will roll right by without incident.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
WTF you supporting theses critcal assholes? Theses turists were merley in the wrong place at the wrong time.
They were trying to move & clipped a cyclist. Then Mob Mentality took over & a bunch of you dumb Fvcks statred beating her car.

You want poeple to support cycling right? I mean thats the point right?

Well when a bunch of dumbasses do **** like this it makes poeple hate cyclist. When they think of critcal mass there going to rember this negitive publicity.

Dumb @$$
I'm changing my statement due to my stupidity of making a statement without all of the facts in this case and made a fool of myself. someone needs to slap the driver

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
5. Finally, it sounds like the woman driving was a dumbass. All you have to do is wait and the Critical Mass will roll right by without incident.
Doesn't matter at all. In the court of public opinion the cyclists lose.

Edit:

And with Willow in the car and a window gets broken... holy crap you better believe it's on.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
i don't think anybody here is agreeing with the idiots on bikes here if That was I, I would have run them down to
I'm with the bikers here. Some confused and frustrated motorist can't wait a couple minutes with her kids to watch the great spectacle of hundreds of cyclists roll by and drives into one of them instead?!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
How do you know that she did not just turn onto a road and then the bikes came? Maybe she had no where to go after.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I'm with the bikers here. Some confused and frustrated motorist can't wait a couple minutes with her kids to watch the great spectacle of hundreds of cyclists roll by and drives into one of them instead?!

I agree...let's smash in the windows of the mini-van and scare the crap out of some young kids. Im sure they'll be excited to become cyclists one day.

When I first moved to the Bay Area I was so excited to ride CM. I thought it would be a great way to empower cyclist, unfortunately that's not what I saw. Seems that alot of people only ride CM because they enjoy the mob-mentality that overtakes many of the riders and many get a satisfaction out of getting into conflicts with cars.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I agree...let's smash in the windows of the mini-van and scare the crap out of some young kids. Im sure they'll be excited to become cyclists one day.
The kids were in the car when mom ran down a cyclist weren't they? I wonder if that scared the kids as well? Maybe the kids will learn there are repercussions to idiodic behavior.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I have done Critical Mass rides and I have seen bikers look for trouble, just as I have seen people in SUV's look for trouble. Everyone rides/drives around with a chip on their shoulder and then we all end up wearing chinese made (yes, I own a pair) Rockgrdn DH gloves ready to take each other out...Ah, yes, peace and harmony! I love America!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
The kids were in the car when mom ran down a cyclist weren't they? I wonder if that scared the kids as well? Maybe the kids will learn there are repercussions to idiodic behavior.
According to police, Ferrando had allegedly tapped one of the cyclists' tires.
When the alleged bicycle victim was approached, however, he said he wasn't hurt. He also refused to give his name or any other information.

Yeah, she ran down a cyclists.:disgust1:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Exactly, what is so important that they must drive through an obvious traffic/road hazard? Is it OK for motorists to drive on the shoulder when they hit major traffic or when a marathon/parade/etc is going on - nope. That would result in being pulled over and issued a ticket.

Bikes and cars have to abide by the same traffic laws, you wouldn't bump a farm tractor, an oversized load, or other slow drivers either.

There was wrong doing on both parties parts, but she shouldn't have prompted the situation in the first place.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I have done Critical Mass rides and I have seen bikers look for trouble, just as I have seen people in SUV's look for trouble. Everyone rides/drives around with a chip on their shoulder and then we all end up wearing chinese made (yes, I own a pair) Rockgrdn DH gloves ready to take each other out...Ah, yes, peace and harmony! I love America!

:biggrin::clapping:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't condone the mob mentality nor would I ever do a critical mass as I generally won't ride with those I don't know and trust but I am a different person on a bike. I normally avoid all conflict but when on a bike on the road I'm kind of super aggressive. I've done u-turns to chase people down who have ran me off the road. I can imagine reaching up and strangling the driver of a car who hits me then stops to see if I am still alive.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Sanjuro, I am not directing my Venom at you. Just these self righteous aholes. (Could be said That I am being self righteous)

She did not run down the cyclist. He walked away.

The point is that Critical Mass makes the majority of people in San Fran pissed at cyclist.

You want people to support Cyclists.

Get off your high horse, or high bike. Mob Mentality Is extremely dangerous.

I went to one critical mass, It scared the hell out of me. People were looking for trouble.

There are better, less annoying & negative ways to get people to support you.

I have not been hit by a car, my sister has. Scared the s out of her. But The driver knew he had done wrong & bought her a new wheel. He then later sent her an apology. We hold nothing against him. Accidents do happen.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
How do you know that she did not just turn onto a road and then the bikes came? Maybe she had no where to go after.
YES the streets around Japan town are small and tight and all one way , this doesn't surprise me to hear this happened . The motorist sounds like she was more in the right than the mob , they had no right attacking her car she just got singled out :disgust: hearing this makes me wonder why CM is even still around , sure it makes a point but when does making this point become general lawlessness and ananchary ??? Fine line ?

If they did that to MY car with me in it I would have done the same thing as LEethal mentioned GUN it and take out as many as possible I'm pretty sure if I hit the launch control @ 4K doing 5-mph with my 300+ HP .:R32 a few drunks on fixies woulnt stand a chance !

Dont get me wrong I'm all for cyclist rights and I have been hit by cars more than 10+ times ......... but you attack ME? I'll attack YOU !! That the rule of the street !! In a 3800lb car the car will win , thoes cyclist were just being stupid , kids in the car too :disgust1: nice one guys make us all look like thugs :plthumbsdown:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i don't think anybody here is agreeing with the idiots on bikes here if That was I, I would have run them down to
You don't deserve a license or a car. Do you run down people who block your way in their cars, or only if they are on a bike? That is, do you rage like this in regular traffic? Do you think it's ok?

I think we can all agree that whoever smashed the window was wrong, and that is was wrong to scare the kids.

There have been extensive posts on the pros and cons of the Mass, it's an old can of worms. I've done a bunch of them in SF and in my experience nobody gets violent at a critical mass unless someone gets impatient and tries to move their car, hurting or threatening to hurt a cyclist. (No, I wasn't at this one but I understand the mob.)

If she had just relaxed she would have been fine. The kids were probably having fun until mom freaked out. Most people smile and beep horns in appreciation. If she asked anyone what it's about she probably would have been given a decent answer. There is almost always a reasonable person at every intersection telling the motorist to just sit tight and there will be no problem. It's not scary unless you resist.

Cyclists put up with a lot of frustration on a daily basis, and for a couple hours once a month the tables are turned on the unlucky few. Not everyone who rides has the right approach, but motorists trapped by the mass are generally good to go in 10 minutes or less. The delay would be a lot worse if everyone riding the mass were in cars. It's just road rage, pure and simple.

(Now excuse me while I grab some popcorn and flame-resistent blanket.)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
It's too bad kids had to see the show, but if you point a car at a cop, they can shoot you. I would defend myself in this case as well.
But let's just extend your dumbass thought on this... she "runs down a cyclist" and you smash her window. With her having her young children in the car not sure what's going, her fight or flight reaction goes to flight and she steps on it really running down a couple of cyclists.

Like I said in some small group of dumbasses the cyclists were in the right beyond that.... where it really matters, the cyclists lose everytime.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You don't deserve a license or a car. Do you run down people who block your way in their cars, or only if their on a bike? That is, do you rage like this in regular traffic? Do you think it's ok?

I think we can all agree that whoever smashed the window was wrong, and that is was wrong to scare the kids.
Yes, you can't shoot kids when they throw a rock through your window at home either.

Assault with a deadly weapon for petty vandalism is not an acceptable defensive in any court of law.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
There have been extensive posts on the pros and cons of the Mass, it's an old can of worms. I've done a bunch of them in SF and in my experience nobody gets violent at a critical mass unless someone gets impatient and tries to move their car, hurting or threatening to hurt a cyclist. (No, I wasn't at this one but I understand the mob.)

Honestly what do you expect? Your (critical Mass) effectively shutting down the city streets. Should you inconvince an entire city so you can parade around like a dousche? I mean cmon? Shouldn't everone have a right to move around & Do what they want.

I believe in liberty, very much so.

But when some one else's (or a mob/ critcal mass) interferes with other peoples liberty's it needs to be shut down.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
But let's just extend your dumbass thought on this... she "runs down a cyclist" and you smash her window. With her having her young children in the car not sure what's going, her fight or flight reaction goes to flight and she steps on it really running down a couple of cyclists.
I'm into defending myself against fvcktards in vehicles. I chased a guy in a truck who "buzzed" me on purpose for eight blocks. He saw me coming and knew bad things were coming his way. He finally ran a red light to get away. If he had kids in the car, that was on him.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Honestly what do you expect? Your (critical Mass) effectively shutting down the city streets. Should you inconvince an entire city so you can parade around like a dousche? I mean cmon? Shouldn't everone have a right to move around & Do what they want.
I'm inconvenience by the millions of cars getting in my way when out on my bike. Should I slam into them since I'm going to a birthday party?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

You're contradicting yourself here. If everyone has the right to move around and do what they want, then don't cyclists have the right to have a massive group ride in city streets? Do they lose this right when they amass to a certain size? Yes its an inconvenience to some (motorists, some pedestrians), but its not an inconvenience to those involved. Its a tricky line to walk, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

As far as the situation is concerned, the cyclists DID overreact IMO (and it's a safe bet to say most people would agree). But there was something to provoke them. The article obviously is biased towards the motorists/family in this case, so there's the possibility that "tapped one of the cyclists tires" was an understatement of what really happened.

O'Gripper has the main idea - CM is a debate that's going to continue on for ages... just like the chicken vs egg - which was first? debate. There's no winning this argument. Yes this particular situation was sh!tty and gives a bad rap to cyclists. But on the flipside there's plenty of incidents where motorists get a bad rap for running down cyclists (like some people here would favor doing not to mention any names coughcoughgoofycoughcough). If you respond to violence with violence (when its totally unreasonable), well I just hope you win a Darwin Award. Soon.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
You're contradicting yourself here. If everyone has the right to move around and do what they want, then don't cyclists have the right to have a massive group ride in city streets? Do they lose this right when they amass to a certain size? Yes its an inconvenience to some (motorists, some pedestrians), but its not an inconvenience to those involved. Its a tricky line to walk, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

As far as the situation is concerned, the cyclists DID overreact IMO (and it's a safe bet to say most people would agree). But there was something to provoke them. The article obviously is biased towards the motorists/family in this case, so there's the possibility that "tapped one of the cyclists tires" was an understatement of what really happened.

O'Gripper has the main idea - CM is a debate that's going to continue on for ages... just like the chicken vs egg - which was first? debate. There's no winning this argument. Yes this particular situation was sh!tty and gives a bad rap to cyclists. But on the flipside there's plenty of incidents where motorists get a bad rap for running down cyclists (like some people here would favor doing not to mention any names coughcoughgoofycoughcough). If you respond to violence with violence (when its totally unreasonable), well I just hope you win a Darwin Award. Soon.
Your right. Totally right. There needs to be a happy medium.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I'm into defending myself against fvcktards in vehicles. I chased a guy in a truck who "buzzed" me on purpose for eight blocks. He saw me coming and knew bad things were coming his way. He finally ran a red light to get away. If he had kids in the car, that was on him.

I completely understand your frustation, I've had the same thing happen to me and it sucks. Not only does it startle you but there is the chance that you can crash underneath the wheels. But the thing that you have to try and remember is that you are unprotected while they are in a two ton weapon. If you go after a person in a car they can easily run you over. No carbon glove is going to protect you from a car running over your neck.

DRB makes a very good point. When the mob started smashing the windows of the minivan the driver could've panicked and gunned her car running over some people. This would've turned a minor incident into a tragedy. The problem with the mob mentality that people stop thinking about the possible consequences of their actions.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Nowhere does it say a cyclist was "run down". It says she bumped the rear wheel and the "victim" was fine and refused to even give a name. An accident is an accident and does not warrant violence. To me the only idiotic behavior displayed was by the cyclists' complete disregard to traffic laws. If you want to be treated equally on the road, then act appropriately.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I am in no way a violent person but if a group of my friends were walking or riding and someone tapped a friend of mine you can bet your a$$ that we would stop and at least have some words. I dont care if they didn't "run him over" its the principle of things.
JP

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

I believe in liberty, very much so.

But when some one else's (or a mob/ critcal mass) interferes with other peoples liberty's it needs to be shut down.
CM does not shut down the "entire city." SF has some of the biggest CM's in the country and at most it covers a few blocks at a time, in areas that are often gridlocked anyway. So, most of these people would be stuck in traffic anyway. The Mass just gives ragers like you an easy target.

"Inconvenience"? Give me a break. How about "An Inconvenient Truth"?

I drive too but cars, their polluting effects, and the infrastructure needed for them all create a lot of inconvenience and problems for EVERYONE, EVERY DAY. (Not just cyclists.) It absolutely pales in comparison to having a small group of people get stuck in traffic for an extra 5 or 10 minutes once a month.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nowhere does it say a cyclist was "run down". It says she bumped the rear wheel and the "victim" was fine and refused to even give a name. An accident is an accident and does not warrant violence. To me the only idiotic behavior displayed was by the cyclists' complete disregard to traffic laws. If you want to be treated equally on the road, then act appropriately.
Yea, some guy who prolly has a warrant gets tapped/touched/tickeled by a confused mini van driver who was in such a hurry to get to Chucky Cheese that she couldn't sit and wait a couple minutes for cyclists to go by would trigger action on my part. It does not sound accidental.

I do treat drivers as they treat me.