Quantcast

Palmer's back for good?

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
taken off Daleholmes.com
"Talking of comebacks, Snowboarder, Motocross racer, Nascar, BMX what ever he does, the great Shaun Palmer is back racing Mountainbikes. I talked to Allier who's at the Sea Otter this weekend and Palmer has been training and looking to make a big comeback in the MTB World starting this weekend. Not only does Palmer bring the razzmatazz, entourage and his huge tour bus loaded with beer to the races, but it's always a huge boost to cycling when he's racing. Back in the late 90s it was heard Palmer was bringing in over half a million dollars just to race Mountainbikes, bringing a whole new cool image to the sport. Can he still win? It wouldn't surpass me with that guy! stay tuned.
Hear Kama's up at the Otter too this weekend getting his 4x on. Well, I'm off to Dallas for the ABA BMX National, before heading back to Cal for a much needed break."

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thank the lord! Now all NORBA has to do is drop the whole THC ban for DH'ers and all will be well in the universe:D

I wonder if Specialized wants him back?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Zark
Thank the lord! Now all NORBA has to do is drop the whole THC ban for DH'ers and all will be well in the universe:D

I wonder if Specialized wants him back?
With the $ Palmer brings to the sport, he should just pull a "Me and my weed or NORBA stays broke" stunt. I wonder if it would work.

I would love to see Palmer come back to Mt bikes.

I apologize for this, but I am a big fan of anybody that is a huge rebel. Somebody that is just like "F the damn rules, I'm gonna do it this way-Preriod!"

PUNK F'N ROCK MAN

Who cares if special ed wants him back?

It's too bad Nico isn't still racing.

Maybe Cedric will need to get on his game....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by Repack
With the $ Palmer brings to the sport, he should just pull a "Me and my weed or NORBA stays broke" stunt. I wonder if it would work.
Hell, make norba incorporate a pot leaf into the norba logo:D
Mandatory "saftey meetings" before races.

Kidding aside, having the Palm back can only be good for our sport.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i'd love to see plamer make a come back, but to be honest i really cant see it happening, i think people are just jumping to conclusions, he did this last year and the same hype happened, i doubt he's back, but its always a possiblity, i guess all we can hope for is for him to win and get the taste for it again, DH is in real need of another rebellion, things are getting far too serious for my liking.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I think that he couldn't do anything but good for the sport. Even if he caused some sort of scandal, that would catch people's attantion, helping raise interest in mountain biking. I wanna see him and Gracia go at it in the dual slalom :).

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I doubt that he's gonna be in for good. He wasn't last year after Sea Otter, so I don't know why he would be this year. But you can always hope...

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Frankenschwinn
I liked him. But a comeback would not last long without results.
Look at Michael Jordan... (you know, the basketball player)

:)
I agree, he'll still have to prove he's fast.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Not that it matters but i read in some snowboard mag intervew that he was "scared of the bong".
Wiskey,on the other hand...
last pic i saw he was on a beat P3 w/one v brake!
He could pick up a ride easily though.
Troy lee even makes jeans...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by JohnnyBoyDH
I don't think so....everyone knowsthat guy is fast at anything he does....Almost won the worlds in his first year in the sport?!?! He just plain hauls ass. I hope he comes back. That dude is rad.
is that why he's walking away from MotoX with his tail tucked between his legs?

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
Being fast enough to make a National and SX main is so not a failure.Honda never thought he'd be like the next RC or anything. I think Palmer did a pretty sick job while he was on Honda. I hope he comes back. Racing is getting kinda lame.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Transcend
he failed at the honda gig, but he DID make the main at the las vegas supercross...no easy feat.
yeah, he made one main one time at the start of a season, but its not like he ever had a chance in hell at winning a race.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Originally posted by BurlySurly
yeah, he made one main one time at the start of a season, but its not like he ever had a chance in hell at winning a race.
Congrats, you have proved he is a complete hack. :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
Being fast enough to make a National and SX main is so not a failure.Honda never thought he'd be like the next RC or anything. I think Palmer did a pretty sick job while he was on Honda. I hope he comes back. Racing is getting kinda lame.
I agree, i meant hondad didnt pick him up full ride style. But cmon, making a main is one HELL of an accomplishment for anyone.

Palm rocks, I want him back in the sport. He did more for MTB then most of the other "MTB" folks. the ones who think they are important.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Let's see you make a SX main...or anyone else you or I know. Simply will not happen.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Transcend
Let's see you make a SX main...or anyone else you or I know. Simply will not happen.

Actually, I do know Clark Styles a bit, but that's niether here nor there. And Im not saying Palmer is a hack or anything, I was just saying that he wasnt the god of MX like he was of everything else. I really wasnt rding MTB when he was racing, but i was riding dirtbikes and i remember hearing about this guy and how he was gunna do this and that.
Pro MX/SX is kind of like pro BMX the best guys are so far ahead of everyone, its not like you can just come in and race at that level. It takes more than being "the greatest natural athlete" so i guess i kind of liked watching him get owned.

Oh well, sorry.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I think the reason that he couldn't come in and school most of the riders in MX like he did in other sports, Snocross, DH, etc. Is because the pool of riders is so huge compared to mtbing. The pros are almost all equal in ability, except for the top few.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by DHanamal
I think the reason that he couldn't come in and school most of the riders in MX like he did in other sports, Snocross, DH, etc. Is because the pool of riders is so huge compared to mtbing. The pros are almost all equal in ability, except for the top few.
also MX is quite a bit more complicated skill wise...its not just about coordinations, but skill and experience

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by zedro
also MX is quite a bit more complicated skill wise...its not just about coordinations, but skill and experience
Alot of Moto is like road riding...MUCH strategy and experience involved. No matter how good you are, without the experience of racing in a pro field day in and day out, you will have a hard time doing well.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
SOunds like he didn't do so well inthe DS. Seems he slipped a pedal in the round of 32 and got dropped. I hope that pisses him off and he decides to ride the rest of the series just to redeem himself.

He's riding 4X today isn't he?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Threepointtwo
SOunds like he didn't do so well inthe DS. Seems he slipped a pedal in the round of 32 and got dropped. I hope that pisses him off and he decides to ride the rest of the series just to redeem himself.

He's riding 4X today isn't he?
Hey, he qualified.
Not bad for someone that hasn't raced a damn thing since this time last year.

I put him in the same realm as Missy. I dig 'em, I think they are good for the sport, I wouldn't want my kids to be like them, but I'm glad they are around.

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by yetirider22
He did race sea otter last year, and beat out Wade Bootes!
he did race, but bootes beat him out in the first round. just like this year, only bryn atkinson was the spoiler. I hope that he does well in the 4x though :D

it's nice to have special agents in the field :sneaky:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Didn't he say right from the beginning that his only goal was to qualify for a main???
Its not to far off from him retiring from mtb after winning the Big Bear UCI. He said since that he had beat everyone in the world at least once, he was done. He had achieved his MTB goals.