Quantcast

Parentmonkey: Birthday Parties

BillT

Monkey
We spend between $10 and $20 on gift for kids...$50 is rediculous.

For my daughter's 3rd birthday, we asked for no gifts but took donations for the local SPCA chapter (my kids are the only grandkids on either side, so they have everything and anything they could want) and ended up raising $250 for them. We thought it was really successful and will continue this on an ongoing basis. We now need to find a charity for my younger daughter.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We spend between $10 and $20 on gift for kids...$50 is rediculous.

For my daughter's 3rd birthday, we asked for no gifts but took donations for the local SPCA chapter (my kids are the only grandkids on either side, so they have everything and anything they could want) and ended up raising $250 for them. We thought it was really successful and will continue this on an ongoing basis. We now need to find a charity for my younger daughter.
wow that is a great idea - it teaches compassion, sharing what you have, a sense of community ( vs. entitlement) and helps to grow decent human beings.

BillT

Monkey
wow that is a great idea - it teaches compassion, sharing what you have, a sense of community ( vs. entitlement) and helps to grow decent human beings.
We chose the SPCA because her favorite thing in the whole world is out cat, Snoopy, who we got from the SPCA many years ago. When we told her that she would be helping all sorts of cats, she got very excited. We called ahead and let them know what we were doing and they made a big deal of it when we came in with the check (she loved the attention) and they gave us a tour and showed us the new cat room that her money would help finish.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my wife and i help run an inflatables business (spacewalk of the triad) so we usually just have a party at our house and set up an inflatable (free for me ;) ). it's great for the 10 and under crowd. they can invite their classmates, they stay outside (out of my house), it tires them out, and you can just keep it simple with cake/ice cream and let the parents sit back and have some normal conversation for once. we set a $10 gift limit on the b-day invitation and all of the kids get a small goody bag with some cheap candy in it.
i think we spent a total of $45 on my 4 yr olds party this past weekend and an additional $20 for her barbie scooter.