Quantcast

Peat Signs For 3 Years With Santa Cruz- Offical

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
General Lee said:
i'm interested in hearing more from the "let's see Peaty step it up big now that he's on avpp bike" crowd. . . . . . call me crazy, but he hasn't exactly been slow (or even slower) lately:nopity:
I agree! Peaty was smoking fast on his Oranges and GTs. Personally, I really like Oranges bikes, at that hasn't changed since Peaty's departure from the brand.

On the other hand, the V10 is a much more modern bike. One thing is for sure, he won't be any slower on the V10.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
you guys are funny...

anyway...from steve's site...

Steve Peat said:
After some tough thinking time I have made my decision to join the Santa Cruz Syndicate team for 06.Being with Orange for the last 4 years has been amazing for me and I am very thank full to all at Orange for helping me win 2 World titles and numerous other races. It has been long and very hard for me to come to this decision but I truly think it is the best for my racing career. To have a Professional race set up like Santa Cruz behind me is going to allow me to focus 100% on my racing. I am sad to leave Orange and would like to thank everyone there for making the last 4 years fun and supporting me at the races. I am excited to be able to ride the Santa Cruz range of bikes, especially the V10. Look out for me riding a Santa Cruz in the New Year. Cheers..........................Steve

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
BMXman said:
yeah I guess Minnar winning on a single pivot was just a fluke....D
…Well his single pivot does eliminate the biggest disadvantage (IMO) to single pivots; pedal feedback.

I’m stoked for Peaty. It will be interesting to see if he will be running his individual sponsors still, even though he is going to be on the syndicate.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I think what everyone has to remember is that alot of the time he pits with RS at races in north america...and alot of times they are extremely closely tied with the syndicate guys..right down to sharing pitspace.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...yeah I'm psyched to see Peaty getting a better deal, and new sponsorship which will allow him to focus more on racing - but in response to what Jeremy R said earlier about money talks and bs walks - man... it's just that when you see somone with a certain team for so long, that individual almost becomes synonomous with the team, and all the peripheral things that go along with it.

It would be like Michael Jordan leaving the Bulls during the height of his career to play for another team. It's the loss of nostalgia I guess.

Peaty is gonna need some time to become acquianted with his new "silent partner" (V10). But I think that once he gets his riding dialed in on a VPP, he is gonna be even more of a deadly muthafu@ka in the corners, and unstoppable everywhere else...

He might have to hit the gym a bit though - what with that extra 2 or 3 lbs. his V10 is gonna weigh compared to his 224...:D Just Kiddin.

I wonder if this means that we are gonna see more usage of the Fox DHX Air on his V10???

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
S.K.C. said:
...yeah I'm psyched to see Peaty getting a better deal, and new sponsorship which will allow him to focus more on racing - but in response to what Jeremy R said earlier about money talks and bs walks - man... it's just that when you see somone with a certain team for so long, that individual almost becomes synonomous with the team, and all the peripheral things that go along with it.

It would be like Michael Jordan leaving the Bulls during the height of his career to play for another team. It's the loss of nostalgia I guess.

Peaty is gonna need some time to become acquianted with his new "silent partner" (V10). But I think that once he gets his riding dialed in on a VPP, he is gonna be even more of a deadly muthafu@ka in the corners, and unstoppable everywhere else...

He might have to hit the gym a bit though - what with that extra 2 or 3 lbs. his V10 is gonna weigh compared to his 224...:D Just Kiddin.

I wonder if this means that we are gonna see more usage of the Fox DHX Air on his V10???
Doubtful seeing that the Syndicate runs progressive shocks.

Unless I missed something?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The "bike holding him back" line might have applied back when he was on a GT-I though ;) Nah he's always been fast.

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
S.K.C. said:

Haha, silent partner? The new v10 is really, really loud.

I think this is a good move for Peaty. Should we start takin bets on next year's World Champs? :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
rideagainst said:
Haha, silent partner? The new v10 is really, really loud.

I think this is a good move for Peaty. Should we start takin bets on next year's World Champs? :D
Nah, he's been cursed. Why else would the #2 downhiller in history not have a World Championship!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Due to the fact that clearly the bike is what makes someone a world champion, I will be purchasing a 50 pound non horst 4 bar for next year's race season.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
NOVEMBER 8TH

PEATY SYNDICATE UPDATE

We broke the news to you all at lunchtime yesterday, well here is the
official Press Release from the Syndicate team in California:

Yes, it‚s true! Steve Peat, mountain biking‚s favorite royal, has inked a deal with the Santa Cruz Syndicate. Rumors have been circulating for months about the move in what could be called the 'Best, Worst Kept Secret,' - rivaling fellow Brits, Camilla
and Charles for that title. Peaty will join the powerhouse squad of the Santa Cruz Syndicate to achieve the goal of world recognition in the gravity arena. The Syndicate alliance will support Peat for the next three years as this 2-time UCI World Cup Downhill Champion continues his royal reign.

Peaty has this to say, "I am excited to be able to ride the Santa Cruz range of bikes, especially the V-10. Having a professional race set up like the Santa Cruz Syndicate behind me is going to allow me to focus 100% on my racing. Look out for me riding a Santa Cruz in the New Year!"

Rob Roskopp, owner of Santa Cruz Bicycles says, "I‚m excited we were able to get Steve to become part of the Syndicate. I aimed to create a group of powerful, talented riders and personalities. The addition of Steve will further enhance the program. I expect that Steve‚s incredible bike handling skills coupled with the V-10 will produce many wins. With Steve‚s years of racing experience I have no doubt he‚ll bring great insight into further developing future Santa Cruz products."

Peat will compete globally in downhill and 4X events which include: UCI World Cup Series, UCI World Championships, British National Championships, and select events in Europe and North America.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
dhkid said:
what i really wanna see is SP riding the new bullit...
You really think SC want him to be promoting their freeride bike? When they're paying him to race DH. He's advertising their V10.

SCARY

Not long enough
bizutch said:
OK....what gives? You haven't been online is something like 6 months and now you're tagging every post in the forum. You getting back to your www.dhrace.com ways? Or did you get laid off from work...and why in the hell are you online so early in the morning??
i'm not sure,might be the new laptop.Might be reliving the glory days @ dhrace,since you ,Stik and JP are the only ones that get it.Maybe I feel the unwashed masses would be enlightend by my funny.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
S.K.C. said:
- but in response to what Jeremy R said earlier about money talks and bs walks - man... it's just that when you see somone with a certain team for so long, that individual almost becomes synonomous with the team, and all the peripheral things that go along with it.

Yea, I can't imagine what that would of been like. :D

One more thing, the reason money is more important than the bike for the top guys is that they are really cocky by nature. It is what got them so fast in the first place. They believe that, so what if so and so has a better designed linkage, I am still gonna kick his azz.
Watch me hop on this single pivot and dominate.:)

Attachments

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
hmm....should be interesting to see how retardly light he makes them build up his World Cup bike. Oddly enough, used to when he was with GT, his World Cup bike was built up really, really heavy for the tougher courses and he had a lightweight version as his US bike.
Last time I hit the Rock Shox tent and his Orange was there, it was heavy as crap...and his World Cup bike was ultra light to a retarded degree.

35 Pound V10 for Peaty??? heh....

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Now im just a wee bit curious, I couldn't give a flyin fcuk what suspension design Peat has his leg over, all that talk is for folk who aint got much in the talent department.................but what I am wondering is the following.

The press Release says Peat is on the SYNDICATE team however I am getting mumblings that it's more of a frame deal and he will just tag along with the SC boys, what some folks are saying is that Peat is gonna keep his own sponsors, like Royal(obviously), 661, Raceface, Hope, Maxxis etc............... Now if he actually is on the Syndicate, they have a list of sponsors, which is being listed at the end of the Peat press release, and they aint gonna be too happy as far as I can see with Peaty running what he likes/wants; Easton, Avid(the full SRAM group set), FSA, WTB, TLD etc....

I understand that he will run Royal gear instead of TLD that was always gonna be the case, but it will, I think, be interesting to see how much power Steve has in choosing his own sponsors, over that of the teams wishes and existing sponsors, how much give will Rob Roskopp allow to get himself a Worlds????(Which I think pour Peaty will retire without, unfortunetely).

Just a thought...........................Does Jeremiah Dean have any light on the subject??

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
any speculation on what will be custom on peaty's v10. I'm guessing thinner toobs, but I've always wondered about a lower travel v10 with less sag, like a V8 or V9. However, I doubt SC would be very quick to make peaty's bike too far from stock: strickly for adversisement's sake.
I rode his orange quickly at whistler while I was talking to him. Not only was it extremely light, but it was HUGE. I could see him on an XL v10. SC now has Rennie and Peaty:two of the tallest riders in the sport

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
whatever bike is better is debateable but i think a change would be good for Peaty right now......time to move in a fresh direction.....

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
MVRIDER said:
Gearbox bike???:confused:
I believe he's talking about Minnaars bike.

Ian Collins said:
uhhhh.....no it doesn't....just cause he has a gearbox bike doesn't mean the bike doesn't have pedaling induced interference
There's a difference between "pedaling induced interference" and pedal feedback.

konabiker said:
&#8230;Well his single pivot does eliminate the biggest disadvantage (IMO) to single pivots; pedal feedback.
Pedal feedback really has nothing to do with the amount of pivots. It might be true that the majority of single-pivots do exhibit pedal feedback, but this is due to the pivot location.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
WheelieMan said:
I believe he's talking about Minnaars bike.

There's a difference between "pedaling induced interference" and pedal feedback.

Pedal feedback really has nothing to do with the amount of pivots. It might be true that the majority of single-pivots do exhibit pedal feedback, but this is due to the pivot location.

regardless.....my point is....the honda doesn't really accomplish any breakthroughs in pedalling efficiency....it reduces unsprung mass, but as far as pivot location and the articulation of the frame it doesn't accomplish anything revolutionary

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Do you guys realize that what bike these people ride makes no difference? The World Champ (Barel) rides a Kona, a brand that's often laughed at because of its lack of technology. Peat, Minnaar, and Gracia, three of the fastest DHers in the sport ride single pivots (without floaters) and have no problem with them. Rennie rides a V10.

They're all fast. Apparently the bike makes no difference. Get over it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^Yeah, bikes are really more of a personal thing. What works for you may not work for other people. And any top-notch DH rig will perform really well anyway.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Im after buying a 224 now that Peaty is off Orange, makes me feel less of a 'grommit' for buying one "coz its what Peaty rides"

Orange are still gonna sell with or without Steve riding one. They are good bikes, yes they may be single pivot (brake jack, peddle feedback, blah blah blah), but they are a bull**** free WC winning bike.
And best of all are made in the U.K. allbeit on the wrong side of the Pennines.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Kenda tires seem to work well for everyone, so it's not a surprise to me that people are moving.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
EC moved over to Kenda last year, though that was from Tioga. Switching from Maxxis... that's different. Maxxis have been topping the podium on WC's for a while now.
I have a Kenda tire that I use on the front, seems to do the trick for me.