Quantcast

Pics of my secret DH bike that I rode this season

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I've been dying all summer to show you guys some pictures of my DH rig, but for obvious reasons I could not. Now I can!

The bike is a 2005 Iron Horse Sunday Beta prototype, a frame that I designed from the ground up as a consultant for Iron Horse. The production bikes have a couple tweaks here and there, but they are pretty damn close to this.

I've been on this bike since right after Sea Otter, the same time that Sam, Bryn, and Mathieu recieved their beta frames.

This bike has really treated me well. I have beaten this bike unmercifully and it has been great for me. I cannot wait to get my new one.

Here it is! sorry for the dirty bike pics.

dw

Attachments

Y

yos1s25

how it works?
or maybe pics of the bike from the side:
1. standing
2. full comression of the dw link

??

thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a really nice looking bike.. Very clean lines.

I'm sure it'll be a hot seller next year. Hearty congratulations on seeing such a huge project to completion.. Bet it feels great!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I just don't understand why you decided to post charcol drawings of that bike....:D

Seriously where did you get that camera.....a Cracker Jack box? :) It looks kinda fuzzy to me. (just giving you a hard time) ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i was wondering how you were going to get good standover clearance with that design, but it doesn't look bad at all from that aspect. The split seat tube seems that encases the shock seems to be a big factor...pretty neat.

Y

yos1s25

does it needs afloating disk?
what is it weight? (and what is the weight of the 2004 sgs DH ?)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey how is Mathieu Laurin doing this season while racing the full circuit. I know last year he ripped it up for Balfa, just wondering how he's doing as a member of the IH Madcatz team.

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
allsk8sno here
i was messing around designing suspensions with different linkages and axle paths afew days ago and i made a bike just like that with the dual end actuated shock liinkage!!

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
dw said:
I've been dying all summer to show you guys some pictures of my DH rig, but for obvious reasons I could not. Now I can!

I swear I saw that frame a long time ago (earlier this year). This cant be the first time its been shown on the internet...

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Dayum
That's sweet. :evil: Can you give any hints on the angles of this bike, or the 7point series? I've been loving my new DH, too bad I can't ride it until Manitou sends me a new through pin. :mumble:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks a lot guys, I am really psyched that you like the looks of the bikes. I hope you like them more when you get a chance to ride them. It really does feel great to be completed with such a huge project.

The Sunday frame runs a 65 degree head angle with the 8 inch Boxxer and a 13.9 BB height. Its a true, built to race ripper.

The 7 Point 7 has a 68 degree head angle as spec'd and a little higher BB height. Its made for bombing around in the woods, climbing XC type hills, and repeating the cycle every day.

Later!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Dingus McGee said:
Thanks, Dave...btw, what class do you race DH in?
When I race, I race in Expert 25-29, but I really freeride on DH trails a lot more than I race now. I love railing a corner or a woods section as fast as possible as much as anyone, I just hate being on a schedule when I am out to relax. It a lot of fun to freight train runs with your friends!

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MMcG said:
Hey how is Mathieu Laurin doing this season while racing the full circuit. I know last year he ripped it up for Balfa, just wondering how he's doing as a member of the IH Madcatz team.
He is doing awesome! He won the Canadian championships, and has been doing really well on the WC circuit, so I am psyched for him.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
yos1s25 said:
does it needs afloating disk?
what is it weight? (and what is the weight of the 2004 sgs DH ?)
Nope, floating brake designed right into the suspension. Thats one of the really great things about the dw-link. It really is a complete package. Weight of the Factory frame is in the 11s with a steel spring, and a lot lighter with the ti spring.

dw

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:stupid: post whore :D

looks good to me, how about a weight qoute on that 7?

Yeah, I left out the what might be the most important part. Is the suspension adjustable travel wise?

Gonna be REAL hard to decide one a new bike with all these sweet designs in the 7" range...Iron horse, astrix, Vpfree, nicolai....dag, yo.

price range?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dw said:
He is doing awesome! He won the Canadian championships, and has been doing really well on the WC circuit, so I am psyched for him.

dw
That's excellent! I bet he's very happy to have made the move to the IH Madcatz team (RIP Balfa) for 2004. He's young too isn't he?

Thanks for the info.

Mark

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
how much is the 7 point 7 gonna be running as a complete and as a frame only.

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
Nice bikes DW, I REALLY like the the 7point5. I hope when Iron Horse contract expires with sports check in Canada that they get put into real bike shops, the knowledge is REALLY lacking at sport check.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
It a lot of fun to freight train runs with your friends!
hey ill be a friend any ironhorse rider is alwayse welcome in my crew. were gonna rip some trails up in october ill keep you posted if you can get to asheville nothcarolina (its worth it).

ohh and the bike looks sweet thats definatly the way of 05 right there. ironhorse just keeps getting better and better. you cant keep up with them there upgrading so fast. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

dw said:
When I race, I race in Expert 25-29, but I really freeride on DH trails a lot more than I race now. I love railing a corner or a woods section as fast as possible as much as anyone, I just hate being on a schedule when I am out to relax. It a lot of fun to freight train runs with your friends!

dw

DAMINT thats my class.....thats like 450,233 doods that can beat me!! but that website does say your a nice guy!,...so I dont feel that bad!..lol j/k thats a sweet bike, I would like t try one out sometime...I have seena few around at races and whistler looks like "A barrel of monkeys" (alot of fun!!) but seriously, its a sweet rig! :thumb:

Im at work bored with A.D.D. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
more

DW- Is that a live eyelet design? If so, Can I ask why you used that instead of a fixed mounting point? I have never quite understood the purpose of live eyelets, but have seen them on McMahons, tomacs, and the GT LTS, all of which are dead now.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
dw said:
Thanks a lot guys, I am really psyched that you like the looks of the bikes. I hope you like them more when you get a chance to ride them. It really does feel great to be completed with such a huge project.

The Sunday frame runs a 65 degree head angle with the 8 inch Boxxer and a 13.9 BB height. Its a true, built to race ripper.

The 7 Point 7 has a 68 degree head angle as spec'd and a little higher BB height. Its made for bombing around in the woods, climbing XC type hills, and repeating the cycle every day.

Later!

Dave
whats the difference in the wheelbases of the 2 frames? (ie 7pt and DH)

i take it that HA is gonna get even slacker when you put a 888 on it
hmmm that might put the 7pt series right in the ball park for me :D

nice work on the frames the 7pt series are definately looking like great bikes

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
syadasti said:
Hcor.net had the Alpha prototype on video last fall though - Mountain Creek Closing Weekend 2003 - true world premiere ;)

http://www.hcor.net/downloads-file-10.html

(Alex is riding it - look closely)

Temporarily offline until tomorrow - 8/31

True, but I have that video (downloaded it when it was first put up) and you can't see crap. All you see is a mass of grey pixels... farkin actually had clear, close-up pics where you could see stuff ;)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Sandwich said:
more

DW- Is that a live eyelet design? If so, Can I ask why you used that instead of a fixed mounting point? I have never quite understood the purpose of live eyelets, but have seen them on McMahons, tomacs, and the GT LTS, all of which are dead now.
3 reasons that I can think of:
1. you can get a shock rate that you can't obtain using a fixed mount (probably the biggest reason)
2. packaging (not really a big deal)
3. removal of a point of stress on the frame (pretty minor issue in this case)