Quantcast

Pivot DH bike

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
you got it the wrong way around. The sunday was ment to take advantage of the shock tecnology back then in order to ramp up. On this one, they wanted it to mecanically ramp up, thus really creating a progressive curve to the compression of the shock, so to make it feel like it really is progressive... Theres not a single sunday I have gotten on that doesnt easily bottom out, hope the pheonix will redime this
Totally agree. I guess I didn't explain it very well. My understanding is the regressive curve on a Sunday is relatively small thus the progressive curve of the Pivot should not be too significant ( assuming it does mirror a Sunday ). The idea being you can utilise the superior compression damping adjustments of current shocks without having to wind the crap out of boost valves etc Eg: RC4 vs DHX 5.0. My understanding is the Sunday was originally designed to compliment the characteristics of a 5th Element shock which is significantly different than a DHX for example and the reason many Sundays with DHX's blow through their travel ( a DHX is a common fitment ). A particular problem when people insist on dumping ALL the air out of their DHX's for better small bump compliance ( the groms over here do this all the time :rolleyes: ). The RC4 on the other hand seems to have gathered a reputation for being slightly progressive and should compliment the Pivot nicely.

I would love to have one of these frames fitted with a Boxxer WC , for me they would compliment each other nicely.

Did that make any sense or am I a totally lost cause? :D

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Totally agree. I guess I didn't explain it very well. My understanding is the regressive curve on a Sunday is relatively small thus the progressive curve of the Pivot should not be too significant ( assuming it does mirror a Sunday ). The idea being you can utilise the superior compression damping adjustments of current shocks without having to wind the crap out of boost valves etc Eg: RC4 vs DHX 5.0. My understanding is the Sunday was originally designed to compliment the characteristics of a 5th Element shock which is significantly different than a DHX for example and the reason many Sundays with DHX's blow through their travel ( a DHX is a common fitment ). A particular problem when people insist on dumping ALL the air out of their DHX's for better small bump compliance ( the groms over here do this all the time :rolleyes: ). The RC4 on the other hand seems to have gathered a reputation for being slightly progressive and should compliment the Pivot nicely.

I would love to have one of these frames fitted with a Boxxer WC , for me they would compliment each other nicely.

Did that make any sense or am I a totally lost cause? :D
I think it's a bit simpler than that - the Sunday was progressive to linear, the Pivot is linear to progressive.

From what DW's said, the original intent of the Sunday was to have a progressive-linear-progressive compression damping rate at the wheel which was achieved by overlaying the highly progressive 5th Element damper rate with the progressive to linear leverage rate. The new DHR and Revolt apparently have similar wheel rates in that regard, but with of the 2nd stage of the damping progression provided by the linkage/leverage rate rather than the shock itself.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I think it's a bit simpler than that - the Sunday was progressive to linear, the Pivot is linear to progressive.

From what DW's said, the original intent of the Sunday was to have a progressive-linear-progressive compression damping rate at the wheel which was achieved by overlaying the highly progressive 5th Element damper rate with the progressive to linear leverage rate. The new DHR and Revolt apparently have similar wheel rates in that regard, but with of the 2nd stage of the damping progression provided by the linkage/leverage rate rather than the shock itself.
Well said Socket, the first line sums it up nicely :thumb:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Ok, don't kill the messenger please. I did it the best I can and I Know it's not Accurate...

The Leverage Ratio looks good, it doesn`t have a regresive final.
The Anti-squat curve looks different from any other DW-Link Bike, I don't know if I'm wrong or if DW is trying new things...

Attachments

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Ahhh, so, what a Sunday leverage curve was advertised to be, but never was. Cool.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The headset is going to be cool. From what I'm piecing together based on info release dates, Cane Creek has stated they are debuting a new product in June and hinted it's on the Pivot DH bike now, same date as the mention of the headset on the Pivot in that speedgoat article. DH specific adjustable 1.5" headset is what e-nerd gods are saying.

The 1.5 head tube uses a new indexed adjustable design that's easily changed in half, one, or 1.375-degree increments. Pivot will be releasing more news about this new design at the end of June.
Cane Creek's also been putting stuff online regarding ALOT of trips to the Ohlins facility of late and a release of big news in the fall.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Ok, don't kill the messenger please. I did it the best I can and I Know it's not Accurate...

The Leverage Ratio looks good, it doesn`t have a regresive final.
The Anti-squat curve looks different from any other DW-Link Bike, I don't know if I'm wrong or if DW is trying new things...
:rolleyes: As we've discussed before, accuracy is pretty critical when it comes to short-link suspension systems in Linkage... seriously kids please put the toys away unless you're prepared to use them properly.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
:rolleyes: As we've discussed before, accuracy is pretty critical when it comes to short-link suspension systems in Linkage... seriously kids please put the toys away unless you're prepared to use them properly.
What!? Garbage in, garbage out? No way :D