Quantcast

pivot phoenix build

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Pivot Phoenix

Got a bit of ride time in on it so far and also tried the ccdb (did not like it on there).
Corners very well, pedals great and does feel a bit like the Sunday when. Landing or ripping around the latter part of the travel doesn't go void like the Sunday did. I liked the Sunday so I was basing the feel off it even though others say it is totally different I didn't feel it. What I did feel was refinements to the Sunday. It has the same feel ripping in corners and out light on the back.
It handles chop and square edge hits a but different then the sunday did by not going regressive on the deeper stuff which is nice.

It doesn't blow through the nasty stuff like a jedis rearward arch but it definently doesn't hang up on stuff either there doesn't seem to be a forward kick when it hits sharp stuff.
It is very lively and was easy to get used to right away, it whips around easily.

The ccdb had a really bad packing up feeling on the bike, I adjusted stuff back out and gave it a shot but just not for me on this bike the rc4 is a way better fit for this frame.

Not a huge fan of all the stickers but till I decide a direction for it they will stay.

On a side note, the 2012 xt brakes are working great very impressive so far. Seem to have a solid bite. Good modulation and easy to control wheelies and manuals without snapping the front end down...levers are actually impressive feeling easy to single finger ride.

Going to swap a couple items
I am looking to go Dura ace cassette, sixc cranks, stans flow ex rims on hope evo pro II and 721s on the i9s and formula RO brakes, x0 der and shifter, Thomson bars and Hans dampf dh gravity line coming out.

2012 phoenix large
2012 fox 40 with avalanche cartridge
2012 fox rc4 with avalanche internals
Industry 9s with pimplite rims
E13 cranks
Mr g2 guide
Crampon pedals
Havoc bars
Thomson integrated stem
Thomson post
I-fly ti saddle
2012 XT brakes
Schwalbe 2.35 muddy Mary dh
X9 shift/der
Kmc xsl ti chain
Heavier sram cassette (xtr on the way)
Angle set
Ti spring #450

Just built up my rear wheel I'll build the front Tuesday... (waiting on other hoop rrrrrrr!)

Aced the hope hubs for Hadleys laced to the flow ex with db spokes

A little ride time and the 2012 Fox talas 180 on it.

Got a bit of ride time on bigger rocks and drops...
Did a east county ride with plenty of fast twisty loose over hard and rocks/gardens...
Suspension was set up like total poo (yes that's the technical term) the 180 and rc4 had way to much rebound and high speed it was like a hard tail in the rocks...(i messed with it for other reasons the other night and forgot to set it back lol) so got unlazy and dialed it back the bike opened up, it is more responsive than the Sunday to rider input as well as doesn't blow through the last bit of travel.
Thought it had a bad hang up on rocks initially on square edge then adjusted the shock and realized it was settings.

Drops are great didn't bottom on landings was super easy to manipulate in the air and whip around.it dirt jumps extremely well, corners solid I blew out a berm on a super steep section came in to hot and dove it hard back swung around and I went over...again thankfully for helmets....lol

Here's the drop from the top to the helmet is where landing starts...

The dhx 5.0 just got back from Avalanche modded with extended reservoir for the phoenix, the rc4 is on its way back to avy now.

Laced the i9's to some new mavic ex721 hoops, because the i9 hubs are lighter than the hadleys these came in at almost the same weight as the Hadley/flow ex combo...

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Very nice :D Weight? I am really looking forward to swinging a leg over a friend's Phoenix.

And if you havent tried the Type 2's or clutch equipped derailleurs get those. With just 2 rides on the X9 Type 2 I am impressed. Nothing but the sound of tires 80% of the time. I love it.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Very sweet bike! I'm wondering have you ridden a Turner DHR? I am struck by how different the length is on the links considering that they are both DW bikes. I wonder how the performance varies between the two.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I'm sold- where do I get one? That is the ultimate when a bike sounds like tires rolling.
Your LBS should be able to order em. If not I got mine at Universalcycles.com for around $100 shipped. Mine's even ghetto 10/9sp combo. I have a 9sp drivetrain, only the rear der. is 10sp (the Type 2).

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I haven't kept up on stuff didn't even know there was a new der. II ... lol....now I'll have to check it out I'm grabbing the dura ace cassette today so if I can find a type II der I'll grab it. Bike is dead silent anywase, almost every bike I've had has been dead silent. Make it a point to quiet them right away.....

Haven't ridden the dhr, I have a buddy with a large that I'll try and ride before it sells....

I did one of the drops and the erosion has left a root exposed, on landing and pretty compressed it smacked it hard but there was no buck even deep in the stroke.

Weight is 40.5 right now, the cassette swap will drop 200g over the steel set up (cheapo) on it, rims will be another 250g, cranks only 100, and misc. 150g.

It will be sub 39 at that point then the new Hans damp gravity tire will knock off 400+ more.

That's as light as I want to go, if I did a wc with avy internals I'd drop 700g (fox is heavier than claimed lol then 290g with avy)

Point is its totally possible to be race ready and 36/37 lb range.

I haven't put effort into making it light yet i just built it decent and wanted to ride, it corners like a featherweight bike and is easily manipulated in the air. It doesn't feel like a 40lb bike or pedal like one.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I have no spring slap and the avy cart might make a woosh noise now and then but no clatter..

Fuzzy side industrial Velcro on stays upper and lower, shrink wrap on coil in fork (fishing supply store or fishing rod builder has large thin light weight shrink tube),..

Oh and a i9 buzz from rear wheel but yeah no real noise from the 40... buddies pops and clicks though so we are going to try some different or longer shrink tube...

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
My 40 makes all kinds of noise even after being rebuilt. I've tried moving the shrink wrap and putting a second one on there, but it's still terrible. Even tried covering the entire spring as a (brief) experiment, but it still seemed to do it. I'd assume that there's something loose internally, but it was still doing it after a rebuild (by Go-Ride).

Oh yeah, nice bike :)

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Prices of the 10sp X9/0's are pretty much the same with or without the cluth. Better get them Type 2's yo :D Its amazing man. I cant believe it made that much of a difference.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
interesting input on the CCDB. I've tried a new RC4 vs a serviced CCDB coil on my DW DHR, and hands down the CCDB is the better shock overall with that DW design. while I wouldn't go so far as to say the RC4 felt spikey, it did seem to negatively affect how well large square hits were absorbed. just for the hell of it I greatly increased the HSC on the CCDB, and was able to mimic the bad feeling of the RC4.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I lost a foot in the chop with the ccdb....it spiked and my left foot came loose. It bottomed out HARD when i hit the drop and root on landing. Iliked the ccdb on the canfield one loved it as well as my other bike but it doesn't work so well on the pivot.
I backed them out, then in mid, moved them in more and although I got it close it wasn't the feeling I was looking for.
The rc4 right off the bat felt deep and dense, very damped....I didn't like the rc4 on the canfield one it spiked and I just fought it to get a good starting point....
Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a ccdb on it and have the bling as well but for me I just couldn't get it to feel right..

I think it could be dialed in but it definently felt better on the other bikes right off the bat. I messed with the settings on the other bikes as well and it just felt deep and worked easily.

I just went out and listened to the 40 and there is a small clack noise when I slam it down so I ran some chatter over and it isn't loud at all....as a matter of fact I thought it was my cab.es slapping a little too...usually zip tie them loosely together to keep that Down to a minimum...

Last edited:

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
My 40 makes all kinds of noise even after being rebuilt. I've tried moving the shrink wrap and putting a second one on there, but it's still terrible. Even tried covering the entire spring as a (brief) experiment, but it still seemed to do it. I'd assume that there's something loose internally, but it was still doing it after a rebuild (by Go-Ride).
Seems a common thing. If anyone is wondering the 2013 40's are absolutely stealth silent, a few mods have taken all the rattle away.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Seems a common thing. If anyone is wondering the 2013 40's are absolutely stealth silent, a few mods have taken all the rattle away.
Nice. I have a 2012 and the noise never bothers me when riding, as I don't hear it; but do a parking lot test on my 40 and it's a loud clank every time you jump on it.
Ordering up a new 40 (hopefully tomorrow) so this is good to hear.

Sweet build on the Phoenix, it caught my eye cruising down the road the other day. "Who the fack is that with the baller bike? Oh, sh!t... I know that guy."

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah it was just the earlier 2012's that didn't have it, the later '12s and '13s have an updated spring seat with a rod that extends upwards to support the spring. The ones with it seem to stay quiet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah it was just the earlier 2012's that didn't have it, the later '12s and '13s have an updated spring seat with a rod that extends upwards to support the spring. The ones with it seem to stay quiet.
I called a buddy today and mentioned this to him he said something about the spring seat not setting right to twist the pre load all the way on and go ramp it up a few times. Also said that the 40 I have is a latter version per the rep that came to his shop.

Also there was mention to coat the spring In grease and make sure the shrink wrap is 3/4 up.

I just assumed Dylan meant to seat the spring in any of them correctly...

Im going to pull mine and see if there's a rod in there....if not looks like I'll order or call for new parts....

If anyone gets a part number post it up...would be a huge help for others and the calling...

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I called a buddy today and mentioned this to him he said something about the spring seat not setting right to twist the pre load all the way on and go ramp it up a few times. Also said that the 40 I have is a latter version per the rep that came to his shop.

Also there was mention to coat the spring In grease and make sure the shrink wrap is 3/4 up.
I wouldn't coat the spring in grease, as it will absorb oil from the lubrication bath. I also found the shrink wrap worked best right in the middle of the spring, and if there is clatter it usually requires opening the topcap and re-centering the rubber.

But as I said, in mid-late '12, and '13 models the spring has a centering tube that extends a fair way inside it, so they stay much quieter.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Good info, thanks. Mine is ancient, so it will probably be worth getting one of the 2013's at some point anyway.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just built up my rear wheel I'll build the front Tuesday... (waiting on other hoop rrrrrrr!)

Came in at 1064 12x150 32 hole hope pro II evo laced to stans flow ex DB spokes. Thought about bladed or other and opted for a beefier spoke plus I had them already.....

Came in at 1064g

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Damn dude thats LIGHT. Do you have any idea what a Hadley 150 and 823's would weigh? Thats my set right now, I dont have a scale :| Prolly the heaviest most bombproof set you can get. Haha

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Damn dude thats LIGHT. Do you have any idea what a Hadley 150 and 823's would weigh? Thats my set right now, I dont have a scale :| Prolly the heaviest most bombproof set you can get. Haha
If I remember correctly mine was close to 2350g, I'm debating grabbing some kings or hadleys before I lace the front up...haven't decided, I'd like the more points of engagement. Didn't want to have to buy all new spokes for the i9s the erd was too big a gap between the pimplites and stans to reuse the spokes.

Pretty excited to try the new stans flow ex....

The hopes should be pretty good if I stay that route they upgraded the Internals on the evo just not the engagement....

As far as weight on this lagz I wouldn't even sweat it lol the hadley/823 was one of the only set ups I NEVER worried about on nasty landings or crushing rock piles....total confidence in that build....

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well got some ride time on a hard pack blown out rock little area that's not gnar but hurts like he11 if you wad up...pushed the bike a fair bit and really worked the corners and drift. Bike is definently planted with a good center.

Feels amazing with a fox 180 on it....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Really wanna try a 180 with my V10c... Thats NIIICE.
I did it without thinking about axle/crown height and then decided to look it up. The 40 was 571mm and the 180 was 565mm so it was 1/4" less. So I'm still around 63 degrees on ha...feels quick up there.

Taking it out to the jumps tomorrow for some ripping around, excited.....

Did the talas so I could dump the front down a smidge to make pedaling a little more doable the stans flow ex had to divorce the hopes and going on hadleys tomorrow. Figure this will be the socal setup most of the time....

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Ya on the AC height thing, Fox 180's are 565 and Boxxers are 568, 3mm difference. Haha. And putting an EC bottom cup would make up for that diff. HA, the same :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ya on the AC height thing, Fox 180's are 565 and Boxxers are 568, 3mm difference. Haha. And putting an EC bottom cup would make up for that diff. HA, the same :)
If I had one "must try" component on a bike it would be for people to ride a fox 36 180 at least 1 time.

Like anything its for some and not others but its one of those things that a majority would appreciate...mines off to avalanche shortly for a cartridge but in stock form its probably one of the funnest forks I've ridden.

Even with the a2c being so close it feels so different from the 40, it feels like the front end wants to play and go look for something to hit...

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Bull, where you riding these days? And do you wanna take me out if its in SoCal somewhere?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First build awesome, single crown really Ghey, too much time on yr hands BC haha, dont try and sell a sellar not buying that kool aid bro lol.
Yeah have a fair bit of time on my hands lol....

Your mom said your allergic to red dye #7 so no coolaid for you, she said water only...

It is nice to be able to switch it up from dual to single, I personally like the quick feeling of a sc and on some of the trails here duals are overkill....

Last edited: