Quantcast

Police tactics during a snowball fight

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pull your gun after your Hummer gets tagged?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2009/12/19/did-d-c-cops-overreact-to-snowball-fight-14th-and-u/

According to an eyewitness, a D.C. Police detective went nuts after kids pelted his Hummer with snowballs at 14th and U Streets NW this afternoon. The cop got out of his car and started waving his gun around. He did not immediately identify himself as a police officer. He calmed down once his fellow police arrived. Apparently, someone called 911 to report a man with gun. The snowball fight had been well hyped on Twitter. The news of the incident first broke there. We caught up with an eyewitness moments ago. Photos and video to come.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Here we go again...bashing Cops. In this instance, Occifer Dumass was acting as a private citizen, not as a Cop. Why should he be held to a different standard then the rest of society when his (stupid...) car is pelted? Should surgeons or lawyers be labeled the same way if ne of their ilk does something stupid off the clock?

Not defending his actions, but any other private citizen reacts the same way, maybe he comes out shooting because he is not schooled in use of force?

Dude was an idiot, and should pay one way or another. But dont paint all members of a proffesion with the same brush because of the actions of a few rogue elements. Not all golfers are manwhores, not all clowns are serial murderers...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here we go again...bashing Cops. In this instance, Occifer Dumass was acting as a private citizen, not as a Cop. Why should he be held to a different standard then the rest of society when his (stupid...) car is pelted? Should surgeons or lawyers be labeled the same way if ne of their ilk does something stupid off the clock?

Not defending his actions, but any other private citizen reacts the same way, maybe he comes out shooting because he is not schooled in use of force?

Dude was an idiot, and should pay one way or another. But dont paint all members of a proffesion with the same brush because of the actions of a few rogue elements. Not all golfers are manwhores, not all clowns are serial murderers...
LOL! Did I strike a nerve?

First of all, who carries a gun as part of their job?

And I would have posted this story whether it was a gangbanger, a doctor, or a cop, because I can imagine throwing a snowball at a passing Hummer and laughing my ass off and/or fleeing in fear when the driver pulled a gun.

But, of course, the end result is what separates cops from everyone else.

If a regular citizen pulled a piece in the situation, there would be likely to be an arrest. What do you think is going to happen to this cop?

I wouldn't be surprised if the official story is that this cop was responding to the report of a man pulling a gun during a snowball fight, covering his ass for acting like a douche.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So it was his training that led him to get out of his hummer and wave his gun around like an idiot? If that's the case I don't think we're getting our money's worth from the Police Academy...

This is a big deal for 2 reasons:

1) As a cop, he's required to carry a gun at all times. If he were a normal person, he wouldn't, and might not have even been able to get a concealed carry permit.

2) Cops are a high stress job, and if you can't take the stress of someone throwing snowballs at your car without flipping out and waving a gun in the air, I don't want you engaged in other, high-stress activities.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Agree agree agree...like I said, I am not defending his actions, he was a douche for not just driving away. A vehicle is not worth shooting some kid over. I hope he gets fired...I just dont like all Cops being douche-ified over one (Or more...) idiots actions...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Agree agree agree...like I said, I am not defending his actions, he was a douche for not just driving away. A vehicle is not worth shooting some kid over. I hope he gets fired...I just dont like all Cops being douche-ified over one (Or more...) idiots actions...
When a surgeon gets out of his BMW waving a scalpel around, get back to me.
I'll call him an idiot who should lose his license.

Your outrage is misplaced.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Another hypocritical thing is now that there are plenty of studies to show that distractions in the car are about the same as drunk driving. When are police (taxi drivers too) going to have their toys setup so they don't work while in motion like factory GPS systems. I've also seen a few talking on their cellphone too, but that's less distracting than some of the equipment in the cruiser and training won't make a big enough difference - its still a hazard even with practice and even handsfree systems - especially for some individuals.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
When a surgeon gets out of his BMW waving a scalpel around, get back to me.
I'll call him an idiot who should lose his license.

Your outrage is misplace.
Outrage misplaced? He doesn't want folks to paint all cops with the same brush in light of this incident. And he appropriately called the cop an idiot who did it. Seems to me everyone else are the ones overreacting.

Oh and Dr. Christopher Thomas Thompson.

Manimal please post a pdf of the page from the secret police manual that detail the overreaction you go with when your car gets hit by a snowball. I suspect there are subsections regarding your private car and your police car. Though I suspect you can just shoot them if its the cop car.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Dont you guys know never to argue anything with Silver? He is always right...even when he is wrong. I am not outraged by anything in this.

Working on the clown stats...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Outrage misplaced? He doesn't want folks to paint all cops with the same brush in light of this incident. And he appropriately called the cop an idiot who did it. Seems to me everyone else are the ones overreacting.

Oh and Dr. Christopher Thomas Thompson.

Manimal please post a pdf of the page from the secret police manual that detail the overreaction you go with when your car gets hit by a snowball. I suspect there are subsections regarding your private car and your police car. Though I suspect you can just shoot them if its the cop car.
I didn't know you were such a cop-lover, DRB...

Seriously, I know that cops are under the spotlight for several reasons. But this story is laughable, especially since no one was hurt.

I think my biggest complaint about cops is not brutality or corruption, but the commonplace dealings where I was forced to accept a cop's judgment simply because he was a cop and I wasn't.

Obviously, I was caught breaking the law, but incidents like rolling thru a stop sign on my bike or most recently, while I was about to go night riding in a suburban park, it is hard to me to accept their authoritative attitudes when I believe I am doing nothing wrong.

To be clear, I accept my tickets without complaint because I believe that complaining will, at best, do absolutely nothing and at worst, put me into handcuffs. I also believe that cops have a tough job, and while I think I am being treated unfairly, they may have just come from a serious crime or about to go to one.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
But this story is laughable, simply because no one was hurt.
Fixed it fer ya...

I hope the Cop got pegged with a snow ball and came to his senses. In my LE experience (Going on 20 years now...) I have experienced quite a few morons with badges. Most of them carrying some kind of unneccessary baggage. Bullied by someone along the way, dumped by a girl/guy, brow beat by so and so. I remember being laughed at by a psychologist when he asked my why I wanted to be a Cop. I said because I want to help people. He says "No, really, I dont want to hear what they told you to say, really tell me why you want this job".
Anyway, not all cops are bad. The bad ones just tend to get more press...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And I totally agree. I think almost all cops do a great job.

Cops are, of course, under the spotlight, and any false move, minor or serious, could put your career, freedom, and lives in jeopardy.

But I still think a Hummer-driving cop who pulls his gun in a snowball fight is a clown.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Which Sanjuro didn't do, at all.

Outrage misplaced...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
While this shouldn't tar all cops, a cop should be expected to show appropriate judgement under minor stress and with a firearm, especially as regards an appropriate level of force to use (of which displaying a firearm is part) whether he's on duty or off.

And even if it shouldn't tar all cops, it inevitably will. Hopefully his employer decides to take some action based on this...remedial training, suspension, other review and/or counseling...to show the public that they're not going to sweep it under the rug. And the cop owes an apology to the public and the kids and their families. (The KIDS should owe HIM an apology, but after the gun stunt, he's kind of lost his apology privileges.)

Edit: OK, so the article finally loaded...wasn't kids, eh? Dumb to toss snowballs at any car, especially for adults to do, but the gun was still out of line from what I'm reading...

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
When the global warming finally hits full on, there won't be anymore snowballs and we'll all look back reminiscent about this as we're running from the water cops.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What's really sad is that this isn't the first time I've seen a black dude get out of a Hummer and start waving a gun in front of a McDonalds.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
As I see it, the streets of a city are not the place to have a snowball fight. The police should have been involved. Next time tweet to have the snowball fight amongst yourselves on private property or at least don't onslaught motorist driving in snowy/icy conditions. It was stupid to act irresponsibility and have a 'viral' snowball fight in this location and under those conditions.

Would the cop have acted any different it they were throwing rocks? The action is the same: disorderly conduct on public streets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As I see it, the streets of a city are not the place to have a snowball fight. The police should have been involved. Next time tweet to have the snowball fight amongst yourselves on private property or at least don't onslaught motorist driving in snowy/icy conditions. It was stupid to act irresponsibility and have a 'viral' snowball fight in this location and under those conditions.

Would the cop have acted any different it they were throwing rocks? The action is the same: disorderly conduct on public streets.
Time to get off....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He's a cop in DC, it could have been much worse.

<edit>
Video posted online by a TV station shows the plainclothed detective advancing on the crowd as they chant, "You don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!"

That's funny.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sure he did. "Police Tactics" in the title. Then proclaiming the pending coverup. Then discussion of the continued oppression of Sanjuro for his self admitted illegal actions.

Hunting dog not. Arrange in the most logical fashion.
I mention Police Tactics for my downtrodden brethren in the struggle against White Fascist Military Complex where the honest efforts of the working man has been subverted to serve our lords and masters by falsely teaching that becoming a Brown Shirt police officer is serving the community but instead they tear it apart with their race betrayal by suppressing their own race in service to their masters.

Or in other words, a couple of white punks hit a black cop's Hummer with a snow ball and he pulled his gun. News at 11.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

It's a freeeking snowball, dude!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Not really the point...based on the info we know (and it's admittedly not the entire story) there's little to establish cause under any reasonable use-of-force continuum for the officer to display, much less draw, a concealed firearm...

Yeah, the snowball-throwers were out of line and endangering the public, no question.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
who invited the fun police?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sure he did. "Police Tactics" in the title. Then proclaiming the pending coverup. Then discussion of the continued oppression of Sanjuro for his self admitted illegal actions.
Speaking of which, did the guy get arrested? Or is this a case of professional courtesy?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
From the video I saw it looked like the snowballers were acting like a mob and assaulting motorists. Snowball or not, if it quacks like a duck...

Using a foam sword doesn't give me the right to assault people just because its foam.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From the video I saw it looked like the snowballers were acting like a mob and assaulting motorists. Snowball or not, if it quacks like a duck...

Using a foam sword doesn't give me the right to assault people just because its foam.
You're right. I think I saw a covert Al Qaeda op packing some anthrax into a snowball :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

It's a freeking snowball!!!!