Quantcast

Possible new bike for me...options:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What I meant was that as between the vp-free and the Sunday, pedaling efficiency is probably pretty close. (Like I said earlier, I can't speak for the Sunday but all the reports support my guess here.) I agree that efficiency should influence your decision, but you can expect good pedaling performance from both so I would focus on other factors. Either way it's sure to be a sweet ride.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
just got the new dirt mag, and it had a feature on the Demo 8...what do you think of that? is the pedaling good on it?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
you need to set some specifics on what you're looking for then go from there or else you will never decide...have you talked to Orven about set up with the M-pire I'm sure he can help. I would sugesst moving the shock position closer to the headtube and moving your axle back on the frame.....that should get you closer to what your looking for....D

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
How long did you have your bike for? Give it a year to get all the tweeks out especially a Nicolai. I was having the the same problems with my Nucleon this year until I played around with it. My favorite thing about the bike is all the HA & BB adjustments. I finally received new drop-outs to make the wheel base even shorter so that I can lift the bike up easier. I understand how you feel about the weight, It could be a pig on flat sections or doubles but if your going to change your bike for a better pedaller then take a look at the new UZZI VPX. Sick!

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
the uzzi vpx and the santacruz have pretty close designs, except i think the intense will be ALOT more expensive...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
sama1ter said:
I am having problems getting in contact with orven, im kinda waiting for him to hop in this thread
There's always PM, you know.

Regardless, you're already selling the bike so whatever suggestion at this point is moot. I think it's funny when somewhere sometime ago you mentioned that the Mpire has a too steep of a head angle for you when the frame is actually almost stupid slack at 65 degs. Sounds like a placebo effect to me. I have to steepen mine a tad bit to get the front to steer a bit quicker. Yeah it's not the best pedalling rig but it's a small compromise. Do you race? If not, why would sprinting and pedalling even matter? I mean climbing on a long travel bike will take time and energy any way you look at it. :think:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
sama1ter said:
but another thing on the mpire that isnt right, is the pedaling isnt thta good, like its definatly a shuttle ONLY bike, and sprinting is tedious....also it doesnt fit my hieght/body very good, so thats why id be gettina new bike/frame

I find this a bit odd. My M-Pire pedals better than most DH bikes I had or tried, and it seems to be the agreed oppion shared by Pro Elite racers that have tried my bike, and mag reviews on it.

Maybe try setting up your shock properly, or getting a simple fox unit. the M-Pire has a design that actualy stiffens up while pedaling. So I can't see why someone would feel it's horrible in that department without seting it up right.

Keep in mind though, that my comparisons come from other DH specific rigs. If you want a trail bike, you're looking at the wrong types of bikes.