Quantcast

possible purchase of an '04 P1

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
My LBS has a large '04 P1 on closeout for $350. I'd be buying it for the frame and putting most of the parts on a beater bike. I'm about 6'2'', so the large is probably best. Does anyone have feedback, positive or negative, regarding this bike? The only bad thing I can see is the lack of a replaceable derailleur hanger, which shouldn't make too much difference since I'll be running the bike in SS anyway.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-That's a big bike for you, unless you really just want a big BMX bike. It's a good frame, but it is REALLY stiff...
-This can be good or bad. It all depends on what you want your bike to "feel like" and what you will be using it for.
-It is super beefy, and not too heavy.
-Awesome geometry, it corners like a Demo. Very stable but not too stable.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh, and that is a really good price. Especially considering that it has pretty good parts that you would be able to sell if you don't use them.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The P bikes are real real short. My buddy mike who is 6'2 got a large and i almost hit my knees at 5 11 on it.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I've ridden the short version, and it was uncomfortably short, so hopefully the long will fit a little better. I suppose throwing on some BMX chain tugs is possible with this frame? I don't really like the thought of using the SS tensioner that it comes with since the hanger isn't replaceable. Oh yeah, I'll probably use the frame almost entirely for urban rides, since it's a little small for a trail bike.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
The only worry I could see for you is size. I am 5'7" and ride a small which is damn small for me, but I like small bikes. Might want to try a large out because they are not much better. Otherwise, the P is a great bike.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
I've ridden the short version, and it was uncomfortably short, so hopefully the long will fit a little better. I suppose throwing on some BMX chain tugs is possible with this frame? I don't really like the thought of using the SS tensioner that it comes with since the hanger isn't replaceable. Oh yeah, I'll probably use the frame almost entirely for urban rides, since it's a little small for a trail bike.
hell yeah, i want to put chain tugs on my p1, too
I was thinking I would just get a half link and just run the wheel slammed in the dropout
but if chain tugs work, that would be the ****
anyone try it?

BTW def buy it, it rocks

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Sorry to not respond to my own post in so long. Internet was down for a bit. Anyway, test rode the bike yesterday, and even though the crappy hayes mech brake made manuals sketchy, I was able to get an idea of the bikes handling. Seems really nice so far. The large fits me just a tad smaller than the medium 2001 enduro HT that it's replacing. As for needing chain tugs, it doesn't. It appears that the frame was designed to use an integral number of chain links when running a 32-16 ratio. That's how it was set up at the shop when I bought it, and it's got the perfect amount of tension with the axle buried all the way in the drops. One more question. Should I use the Hussefelts that it comes with, or change for some X-Drives that I have laying around? The hussefelts are slightly lighter (not that it matters so much on a bike like this), but I haven't heard too many good things about them. I'll try to post some pics when I get this thing built up with good parts.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
PooMan said:
wtf mate?
when I tried to shorten the chain, it certainly wasn't that perfect of an outcome
god god dammit dammit

Don't know what to tell ya there. That's how it's set up on my bike right now. You sure you have a 32/16 ratio? It also could be different if you're frame is a different model year.

In other news, it looks like the hussefelts have already bit the dust before a single real ride. Tried to swap pedals today and the steel insert screws out of the crank arm instead of the pedal. Seems like bull**** to me, but I'll see what truvativ has to say about it.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Okay. I've taken apart the whole bike now. The wheels looked all the way back in the drops before I took the bolts off, but actually there were a few millimeters (five or so) of space still left. Somehow, the shop I bought it from managed to get good tension without tugs. I think the largewashers that come on the the bike may keep the wheel from sitting any further forward in the dropouts.

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
yea the hussfelts work awesome till u try to take the pedals off and that sleeve comes out, my friend got a new sets of holzfellers for free. About the p1, its a awesome frame for just about everything, my friend runs chain tugs on his p1 so it should work.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
RaceFace2040 said:
yea the hussfelts work awesome till u try to take the pedals off and that sleeve comes out, my friend got a new sets of holzfellers for free. About the p1, its a awesome frame for just about everything, my friend runs chain tugs on his p1 so it should work.
I could deal with a new set of holzfellers.

Will running chain tugs + a QR rear wheels be a problem? Anyone know?

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
SuperSlow said:
the rear wheel is a bolt on
I'm attempting to replace the stock wheels with some nicer wheels that I've got laying around. Come to think of it though, chain tugs will probably not work with the QR wheel since the axle does not extend beyond the frame. If anyone has any ideas on getting proper tension with a QR rear wheel, let me know. Also, if you've tried it and know it doesn't work, that would be helpful as well.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
It comes with one of those things that look like a derailleur, and yes it does work, but it sticks out a lot, seems eager to be ripped right off, and last but not least it looks freakin ugly. Maybe that's just me. (edit) and I don't think that that was what they were talking about. I think they were talking about the BMX style chain tugs, which are different.

Anyway, I just ordered a funn rigid fork today, and I am sooooo gosh darn stoked! Rigid fork, single speed...BMX style all the way, baby. I've got a Atomlab Trailpimp laced to a Woodman singlespeed hub already on there, which I highly suggest to anyone looking to go singlestyle. I'm also lookin at the new primo hollow powerbites that should be coming out soon, primo pedals, shadow conspiracy slim seat, shadow interlock chain (the bees knees), and maybe a new bar/stem combo. Oh, and new avid juicy sevens!!! This bike is going to be rad!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I figure (and nevermind if you don't figure) this should be the new P. Series thread. P. People rejoice! You can sleep easy now.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Then it's official! If BMW can have a thread, so can the P's.

In answer to the question about using a singleator type setup, the rollenlager is the best option, and I'll go with that if nothing else I try works. I'd much rather use my ringle hubs than the stock wheels. That's my last resort, however, because the P1 does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger. The rollenlager, unlike some other designs, sits really close to the frame, offering only a small lever arm to rocks or other obstacles that could catch on it. I'm open to advice to anyone who's got a better idea...

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
All p1's have horizontal dropouts, the only problem is getting/keeping the wheel where you get good chain tension in the dropout.
The bmx style chain tugs help with this, a lot.

Random question:
Do grips for bmx bikes work on mtb handlebars? I want the new colored Hoffman grips, they're sweet. Like candy.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
PooMan said:
It comes with one of those things that look like a derailleur, and yes it does work, but it sticks out a lot, seems eager to be ripped right off, and last but not least it looks freakin ugly. Maybe that's just me. (edit) and I don't think that that was what they were talking about. I think they were talking about the BMX style chain tugs, which are different.

Anyway, I just ordered a funn rigid fork today, and I am sooooo gosh darn stoked! Rigid fork, single speed...BMX style all the way, baby. I've got a Atomlab Trailpimp laced to a Woodman singlespeed hub already on there, which I highly suggest to anyone looking to go singlestyle. I'm also lookin at the new primo hollow powerbites that should be coming out soon, primo pedals, shadow conspiracy slim seat, shadow interlock chain (the bees knees), and maybe a new bar/stem combo. Oh, and new avid juicy sevens!!! This bike is going to be rad!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I figure (and nevermind if you don't figure) this should be the new P. Series thread. P. People rejoice! You can sleep easy now.

Siiiick. Sounds alot like what I have planned for my P2. One question: are you using that shadow interlock chain with MTB or BMX chainwheels/freewheels? I really want one, but I need to figure out whether it will work with my e.13 front ring which I like because it works so purdy with my bash...

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
NotQuiteJdm said:
my P1 has horizontal dropouts, I run SS...I have no problems, end of story!
Give us some details on your setup. Do you run the stock bolt-on rear wheel or a QR rear wheel? Chain tugs/tensioner? etc...

And as to the question about BMX grips and mountain bars, I don't think it'll work. BMX bars are smaller diameter than standard MTB bars.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
The Kadvang said:
Siiiick. Sounds alot like what I have planned for my P2. One question: are you using that shadow interlock chain with MTB or BMX chainwheels/freewheels? I really want one, but I need to figure out whether it will work with my e.13 front ring which I like because it works so purdy with my bash...
I am going to use the interlock chain with a bmx chainwheel and a shimano cassette in the back. It will work with the e.13 chainwheel though, but if you have one of the evil/e.13 bashguards, the larger sized master pin will cut a groove into the bashguard, which will be irritating at first, but once the groove has been, umm, grooved(?), it'll be fine. check it Not my bike exactly, but it says the same thing

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Dayum...
I miss my P.1 I passed it down to a friend though, so I can ride it whenever I want. :cool: On a rigid note, has anyone had any experience with the Surly rigid stuff? I'm looking at the 1x1 for my old hardtail, any thoughts on strength? It only weighs 2.5 lbs, just wondering if I should bite the bullet and drop a little more money for the Instigator fork. It won't be ridden very hard, probably just urban tooling and maybe a bit of skatepark riding.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
At your hight that bike will be way small .I have a L P2 and am 5.8ish it feels a little to short ,but then I like longer wheel basses .I have the seat slid all the way back on the rails and it still seams a little cramped .just my .02

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
And as to the question about BMX grips and mountain bars, I don't think it'll work. BMX bars are smaller diameter than standard MTB bars.
Are you sure? That pisses me off, I was really looking forward to a nice set of green grips. Can anybody double check that? I want to make sure before I give up complete hope and am forced to use crappy mtb grips.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
PooMan said:
I am going to use the interlock chain with a bmx chainwheel and a shimano cassette in the back. It will work with the e.13 chainwheel though, but if you have one of the evil/e.13 bashguards, the larger sized master pin will cut a groove into the bashguard, which will be irritating at first, but once the groove has been, umm, grooved(?), it'll be fine. check it Not my bike exactly, but it says the same thing
Siiick. I remembered that thread but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
animal 52 said:
anyone know if the P1 frame will clear a set of hookworms? They look heavy but really really fun.
I've got hookworms on mine, they fit fine. A little tight when the wheel is slammed in the dropout, but still with enough clearance. They are awesome tires, too. Super fun.