Quantcast

Post a photo of a crazy-ass machine

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Buggery f*ck, I could so win this thread but I'd be banned so deep and fast they'd find Jimmy Hoffa before they'd find me. Some of you may remember the particular .gif involved. PM if interested.
I think I know which .gif you are talking about. I believe there are 2 versions of that thing floating around. You could always provide the "NSFW" link in a post as long as you don't actually post the pic.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My dad used to take me on bike rides to see these things in operation, pretty impressive when you're 4 feet tall.
:think:

I should think being six feet tall wouldn't really change your perspective.

I'd like to see one in person :)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
:think:

I should think being six feet tall wouldn't really change your perspective.

I'd like to see one in person :)
haha, yeah i guess it was more due to the age and impressionable attitude that went along with that body size.

My hometown public transportation system, still running today:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
haha, yeah i guess it was more due to the age and impressionable attitude that went along with that body size.

My hometown public transportation system, still running today:

I never thought I'd have to ask this, but...

Is that an elephant?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It is indeed. Apparently some circus director in the 50s thought it would be a good idea to take an elephant on the monorail as a marketing gag. Well, the poor thing panicked, broke through a window and jumped out into the river below, but only suffered a few cuts.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It is indeed. Apparently some circus director in the 50s thought it would be a good idea to take an elephant on the monorail as a marketing gag. Well, the poor thing panicked, broke through a window and jumped out into the river below, but only suffered a few cuts.
I watched a documentary on Coney Island once. There was an elephant there who got real violent after somebody tried to feed him a lit cigarette.
At that time apparently Electricity was the new big thing!
The owners of Coney Island decided as a marketing gig they would higher Thomas Edison to electrocute and kill the elephant in front of an audience. The video that was made of the event was probably the most disturbing thing I have ever seen.

quick search = http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/01/dayintech_0104

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I watched a documentary on Coney Island once. There was an elephant there who got real violent after somebody tried to feed him a lit cigarette.
At that time apparently Electricity was the new big thing!
The owners of Coney Island decided as a marketing gig they would higher Thomas Edison to electrocute and kill the elephant in front of an audience. The video that was made of the event was probably the most disturbing thing I have ever seen.
I saw that too, simply disgusting :plthumbsdown:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The NASA Crawler

The crawler-transporter weighs 6 million pounds (2,700 t) and has eight tracks, two on each corner. Each track has 57 shoes, and each shoe weighs approximately 900 kg (about one short ton). The vehicle measures 131 feet by 114 feet (40 m by 35 m). The height from ground level to the platform is adjustable from 20 to 26 ft (6 to 8 m), and each side can be raised and lowered independently of the other. The crawler uses a laser guidance system and a leveling system to keep the Mobile Launcher Platform level, with the tip of the external tank vertical within plus or minus 10 minutes of arc, while moving along the 5% upgrade to the launch site.[2] A separate laser docking system provides pinpoint accuracy when the crawler-transporter and Mobile Launch Platform are positioned in the VAB or at the launch pad.[3]

Linky

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What do they use that thing for? It seems bizarre that you would want to remove trees and not use them for anything. Hell, even firewood sells for good money these days.
Sometimes rape is just rape.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
That is the pad. They put the whole thing in a hanger so it doesn't get destroyed by hurricanes and then they roll it out for launch.
They assemble the rocket in the hanger. Which is why it's known as the Vehicle Assembly Building.

It's a bit like watching the paint dry but...