Montana
3 clicks up from least preload

3 clicks down from MAX high speed compression

3 clicks up from least slow speed compression

Make sense?

marra

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
no preload, no compression (high and low), one side soft spring, the other side stock, 2,5oil in both legs, 205cc of oil per leg.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
marra said:
no preload, no compression (high and low), one side soft spring, the other side stock, 2,5oil in both legs, 205cc of oil per leg.

Le me guess, you must be about 125-135?????

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Kanter said:
3 clicks up from least preload

3 clicks down from MAX high speed compression

3 clicks up from least slow speed compression

Make sense?
Hey Kanter, how much do you weigh??just curious,...:) Im still playing with my 888rc2x adjustments and I want to change oil but I have no time!!!,...so I have no definitive settings for my fork...I will post when I find the right adjustments..BTW I weigh about 185lbs and its great for my weight...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I weigh 180-185. Why are you changing the oil already? After the springs break in I will increase the preload. I only have a handful of rides on it so I am still tinkering. :)

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Kanter said:
I weigh 180-185. Why are you changing the oil already? After the springs break in I will increase the preload. I only have a handful of rides on it so I am still tinkering. :)
Its always a good idea to change the oil after a few rides as it gets dirty very fast with tiny metal bits from the friction of the new parts of the fork....
bicycleman, what air are you referring to? this fork doesnt use air (apart from the preload..) but as far as I know :rofl: its not "a pumped air fork" as other forks in which you do have to be careful with the air pressure....

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Anyone have any other tuning tips for this fork. I just put mine on and it makes a swooshing sound almost like it's an air fork? Weird, considering last years isn't like that. Seems like I can almost bottom it out riding down the road, I wonder if Zokes skimped on the oil.. What oil level do you guys recommend?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Are you running a lot of compression, sayndesyn? It sounds to me like that's the case because the oil is being forced through small holes fast, because you have too soft of a spring. Just an e-guess though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive played with mine a little more. I now run;

max high speed compression

middle low speed compression

3/4 preload.

This seems to be the best set up for me. I do ride a lot of slow FR stuff with 5-10 ft drops and I weigh 180.

For fast DH, all I do is run min preload.

Hope this helps. I have been playing with the fork a lot. It came with max oil level. It didnt need any oil. Zoke is getting a little better with oil heights on the 2006 stuff.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Bicyclist said:
Are you running a lot of compression, sayndesyn? It sounds to me like that's the case because the oil is being forced through small holes fast, because you have too soft of a spring. Just an e-guess though.
The swooshing doesn't seem to be related to the compression. I think I'm right at the cutoff for switching 1 spring. I weigh about 175-180

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You dont need a new spring till about 190-200 on the 2006. Just crank the preload and the high speed compression.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Are you guys noticing a clunk noise if you put in more than 12 clicks of rebound?? mine is doing a clunk when the fork rebounds slow as if the headset would have a little play; I contacted Marzocchi UK and they told me that they were trying to find a solution to this problem, so I suppose Im not the only one with this problem, I also notice a clunk noise when I go over small bumps, I dont know if both noises are related..:mad: :mad: , but they are driving me crazy:redhot:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
banrider said:
Are you guys noticing a clunk noise if you put in more than 12 clicks of rebound?? mine is doing a clunk when the fork rebounds slow as if the headset would have a little play; I contacted Marzocchi UK and they told me that they were trying to find a solution to this problem, so I suppose Im not the only one with this problem, I also notice a clunk noise when I go over small bumps, I dont know if both noises are related..:mad: :mad: , but they are driving me crazy:redhot:

cant say ive had that problem, mind you my forks a 4 runs old but i played with the settings and no clunking noises

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Got mine out for a serious dh ride today and other than the fact it appears to have a little more stiction I am pleased. Only running 2 clicks of preload and have been playing around with the other settings. Seems to be tracking really well and I assume the very initial stiction will go away once the bushings are more polished. VERY HAPPY with my Sunday, corners like a demon on crack and with the flush headset, low crowns, lo-rise funn full on bar it's so much easier to keep the front end weighted. Bloody rips.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
banrider said:
I have the same clunk when going over small bumps. Its annoying as hell, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the fork. Yet. I also lost the tiny ball bearing that sits under the rebound cap, so now I have no clicks on my adjustement. Again annoying, but overall I'm very pleased with the fork.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
sayndesyn said:
Got mine out for a serious dh ride today and other than the fact it appears to have a little more stiction I am pleased. Only running 2 clicks of preload and have been playing around with the other settings. Seems to be tracking really well and I assume the very initial stiction will go away once the bushings are more polished. VERY HAPPY with my Sunday, corners like a demon on crack and with the flush headset, low crowns, lo-rise funn full on bar it's so much easier to keep the front end weighted. Bloody rips.

sounds like we just got the same bike, i definately concur :D
enjoyin mine very much

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
schwaaa31 said:
I have the same clunk when going over small bumps. Its annoying as hell, but it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the fork. Yet. I also lost the tiny ball bearing that sits under the rebound cap, so now I have no clicks on my adjustement. Again annoying, but overall I'm very pleased with the fork.
Yes I agree with you, it doesnt affect the performance but its rather annoying!!!, I suppose I could live with that....:rolleyes:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I just got a used one, and I have some questions that the manual doesn't answer. I weigh 185, and have it on a medium VP-Free.
  • What is the distance you have between the top of the seals and the bottom of the lower crown? Mine is under 8 inches, and this intuitively seems like a bad thing. Yes, I pull out all the sag when I measure.
  • If you screw your preload out all the way, does it make any weird noises? Mine seems VERY loose when I do this.
  • I have compression set at 6 clicks in (all measurements are from minimum), both low and high. I am still getting close to bottoming, but if you look at my first bullet, maybe it's not actually bottoming. Rebound is 15 clicks in. Preload is 2 clicks in on each.
  • The person that I bought the fork from told me he put 10wt in the fork. To me, it feels just like there isn't enough oil in there, period.
  • When you guys talk about oil heights, are you talking about the height from the top of the seal with springs out, cartridge in or out?
Someone help asap! I am going to Whistler this weekend, and want it to work!

Erik

PS
Also, when I crank down the beg. travel compression versus letting it all out, it makes very little difference in the amount of travel I can get by jumping on it as hard as I can, maybe 1/4" diff. at most. Same goes for the end travel compression adjuster. What the heck is going on?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Are they still there? I may just do that. I was thinking they'd be gone by now (post-Crankworx and all), but if not, I was planning on hitting them up anyway. I want to know how this bike can and should feel, and not how I'm adapting to unknown deficiencies in setup and functionality (possibly due to improper maintenance?).