Saint Cranks
Saint Brakes / Xt Levers (first gen)
x.7 mechanical / x.9 shifter
SDG Ibeam post/saddle

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Great bike. I love how those xprezzos look. You somehow managed to build it looking very beefed up. Though its probably the tires and the seat. WTB? How do you like them compared to maxxis and how do you like the frame?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
jonKranked - sick bike. I just talked to Antion (sp?) from there about the gamjam. I have been drooling over that as my 4x/play/do everything bike. Seems like they have really good attention to detail.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
jonkranked - really nice Furax you have there! Im loving mine so far! Hows the CCDB treatin' ya? Im thinking about maybe switching out the Elka..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
norbar - the tires are actually Duro. I don't have much time on them yet. Saddle is just an i-beam, maybe the beam makes it look that way? lol frame rides incredibly. the geometry is absolutely dialed. I am 6'1" and got a large frame and it fits me perfectly.

timebomb - the gam jam is sick! a buddy of mine has one and absolutely loves it - he actually even uses it for XC too. Antoinne is a cool guy. They really know their stuff. And yes the attention to detail is top notch. I will try and get some better pictures of the minor details of the frame after the race this weekend. All their bikes are handbuilt just outside of Montreal, about 15 minutes from Bromont. I was up there to pick up my frame a few weeks back, got to build it up at the factory. As soon as the build was finished we rolled out the door and went straight to Bromont. I think the bike spent maybe 45 minutes clean once I was done building it.

Routier - the double barrel is absolutely DIALED for this frame. Malcolm (from CC) worked rather extensively with at least one of the Xprezo team riders last year to get the tune perfected. It worked incredibly out of the box. I've made some minor adjustments, but only about a click each on LSC and LSR, and about a 1/2 turn each on HSC and HSR.

overall, initial impression of the bike is that it just rips. Absolutely mind boggling how much fun it is to ride. Only thing I don't like about it is that I have to learn to ride a lot faster now. Poor me, right? :weee:

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks Jeremy....it's a regular Flux....I've only had it a couple weeks but so far I love it, can't wait to race it...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well...thanks to Socket and Norbar, I'm now $1000 in debt to my wife(let's talk about ruthless loan sharks, shall we!?), and I'm down a lot of spare parts from selling what I could, including my Socom, but I had to try a Legend.
I'm only on the MK1 but it's also all I could find for under $3000! Got the frame and RC4 for $1700, and it seems to be in pretty damn good condition.

I'm friggin STOKED on the frame and it's geo so far...but I just went back through and read some of the stuff Socket had to say about the pivot bolts eating out the pivots and I'm kinda frettin a bit now! Was that just the nature of the beast of lack of lubrication or something?? Do you guys happen to know if anything from the MK2 can be retrofitted to the MK1, or if parts are available for the MK1 from Banshee? I shot em an email 2 weeks ago and not a word back yet...

White seat's takin a trip, ano'd red Azonic Outlaws and Azonic integrated stem, MRP Camber cranks and G2 guide on the way, should be on it by friday.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Try atacking Keith at his Pinkbike or NSMB accounts (pinkbike worked for me when he was at sea otter). Also check if your mailbox is not blocked. No one recieved mails from my old one (Canfield, Commencal, Yeti and I think banshee also).

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Watch out, no warranty on the MK1 as it is a "prototype" One of them gave way at the chainstay last weekend and this is what was told to the owner

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Watch out, no warranty on the MK1 as it is a "prototype" One of them gave way at the chainstay last weekend and this is what was told to the owner
Arent most mk1s also old enough that even if they had warranty it would be long after it?
btw. I think the cs thing was sorted in the later mk1s but Ill let Socket comment on that as all the info I have is 2nd hand.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Honestly I've never put much faith into a warranty anyway. Everything is so conditional and circumstantial that I wouldn't even bother trying. I'd just order what I needed and carry on rather than wait for a month while the company decides who's fault it was and then possibly still deny the replacement.
You guys are all kinda freakin me out a bit though...

Anyone know what Keith's user name on PB is?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Honestly I've never put much faith into a warranty anyway. Everything is so conditional and circumstantial that I wouldn't even bother trying. I'd just order what I needed and carry on rather than wait for a month while the company decides who's fault it was and then possibly still deny the replacement.
You guys are all kinda freakin me out a bit though...

Anyone know what Keith's user name on PB is?
http://builttoride.pinkbike.com/

Dont be freaked out too much. Ive bugged a lot of the mk1 testers and most of them are incredibely happy with their frames (and the rest is happy but had some small thing where it could be improved )

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ah, I was just digging around the forums on PB(I'm pretty friggin scared to get on there...nothing like gettin mobbed and ear raped by 70 preteens who either can't spell or think they're texting their 13 year old girlfriends...) and was wondering if that was him or not.
I'm kinda bummed to hear about the bushing issues... it's half the reason I wanted a Legend...I have been riding Mongoose bikes for 4-5 years and pretty good at swapping bearings/bolts in the parking lot after every 6 hours of riding in the rocks...

However...riding a Goose taught me some ninjatastic skills of riding "light" and it's prob the only skill I have...perhaps it's enough to make this frame last long enough to make some cash to get the MKII!

I'm kinda freaked out and concerned about it here on the keyboard...but I get back downstairs and all I can think about is rippin...thing just LOOKS stiff and laid back... and it's amazing how different just a bare frame feels with the shock mounted so low!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
in terms of the bushings i'd have to say they lasted longer then I anticipated...that being said on the non drive-side there's a plastic covering over the hex-opening, if you look you'll see a place to inject grease (pump some in occasionally) I've been on the bike for over a year and have only replaced the bushings once. Eventually, once you have to replace the bushings, remember that the non-drive side is 'keyed' into the frame and those won't turn, so undo the cap on the drive side then take a flat-head or something along those lines, slide it in and tap out the pivot, you'll find the bushings are very easy to swap out etc....you'll love the frame it rides as good as it looks

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Ah sweet! Thanks man! I actually didn't know they were keyed! I popped the one side off and the other side didn't turn. I was thinking it was something like that or siexed and didn't want to mess with it until I learned more about it. That was half the reason I wanted to talk to Keith as well, just to get those little bits of advice and input on how to care for this thing.

But bushings and stuff for the MK1s are readily available still? I guess I can ask Keith as well. I also wanted to grab a spare derailleur hanger...

Thanks a lot man, now I'm nothing but stoked again!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
there should still be some parts available even if there aren't i think you might be able to order these bushings from a 'bushing supplier' (some website?) also don't over-tighten the pivot bolts, definitely make sure they're tight, but don't go hog-wild wrenching those things down

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think the whole idea why Banshee were pushing bushings was that they were cheap and easy to get so I doubt they are somehow different in the mk1

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh, you mean as in some standard off-the-shelf bushing? Now THAT would be fantabulous.
I also have a machinist bud who can't find enough excuses to fire up the mill and loves free beer, so that might come in handy as well!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea my perception was that the bushings were standard issue and could be found easily...who doesn't love free beer?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm pretty sure Keith Scott used IGUS bushings on Mk1, which are not any special dimension bushings. Why don't you ask them directly? Sorry, if it's written already here.
I love beer in general :thumb: . Where do they have it for free ? :eek:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm pretty sure Keith Scott used IGUS bushings on Mk1, which are not any special dimension bushings. Why don't you ask them directly? Sorry, if it's written already here.
I love beer in general :thumb: . Where do they have it for free ? :eek:
The beer's free for HIM, not me! And just because he likes to use the lathe doesn't mean he's on the ball with it! He(obviously) has to enjoy his free beer BEFORE he does work! We ARE in the midwest, after all! lol!
And I did send an email to them, it just took me a bit to get ahold of them, the info email at Banshee doesn't work for me. Talked to Keith today and should hear back from Jay tomorrow. Doesn't sound like a huge issue though. I'll start digging for bushings. Don't need them yet, this frame is tight and doesn't sound scratchy so hopin /assuming everything was frequently greased and cleaned(or vice versa).

But I managed to derail this quality thread with my mumblings! Let's get back on track with 2010 new-ride sweetness!

Anyone seen the COPE bikes??

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
haha props for the old school Formula One

Yeah, I have always coveted these bikes and I couldn't resist the temptation when one came up in the classifieds.

I haven't had a lot of time on it yet but so far it feels like a definite upgrade over the kumicho it replaced.

Despite the weight penalty, it jumps easier, feels more balanced in corners, brakes better, and holds a line better. I'm still getting used to it and dialing in the Vivid, but I'm pretty pleased so far. I'm going racing this weekend so we'll see how it does against the clock.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Yeah, I have always coveted these bikes and I couldn't resist the temptation when one came up in the classifieds.

I haven't had a lot of time on it yet but so far it feels like a definite upgrade over the kumicho it replaced.

Despite the weight penalty, it jumps easier, feels more balanced in corners, brakes better, and holds a line better. I'm still getting used to it and dialing in the Vivid, but I'm pretty pleased so far. I'm going racing this weekend so we'll see how it does against the clock.
i definitely loved mine back then, except for the ****ing X works dorado but oh well thats another story...

Alex.

Chimp
Aug 17, 2008
Galway, Ireland
I like the look of that COPE bike. I like it alot. It looks clean(and yes, i realize it doesn't have a chain) and it looks like it ticks most of the boxes for me...

Does anyone have anymore info? I tried a Google search but i couldn't find much.

Alex

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Ah sweet! Thanks man! I actually didn't know they were keyed! I popped the one side off and the other side didn't turn. I was thinking it was something like that or siexed and didn't want to mess with it until I learned more about it. That was half the reason I wanted to talk to Keith as well, just to get those little bits of advice and input on how to care for this thing.

But bushings and stuff for the MK1s are readily available still? I guess I can ask Keith as well. I also wanted to grab a spare derailleur hanger...

Thanks a lot man, now I'm nothing but stoked again!
Bushings are all standard size IGUS things, they don't wear out that quick. The problems we had were actually more to do with the bushings eating away the pivot axles (3 of em are alloy) and the front/rear triangle material itself. If you have a mate who's a machinist, I suggest getting some new axles made up out of stainless or something suitably hard, and possibly getting some stainless top-hat shims or something made up to press into the 6061 parts of the frame that the bushes actually bear on (and machining out other parts to fit). The swingarms were also prone to breakage where the uprights are welded to the chainstays, but fortunately the new Mk2 swingarms are compatible with the old link setup should you break the Mk1 swingarm - I know a guy running exactly this. The new swingarms have addressed the problem with the uprights breaking, the weld area is now much larger as is the upright itself. The derailleur hangers are identical between Mk1 and Mk2 as far as I can tell. As for maintenance - I suggest regularly pulling out the pivot axles, wiping them (and the pivots) down and regreasing em. I hate doing maintenance but the pivot hardware in those really is about as simple and user-friendly as it's physically possible to be, it literally takes about 1 minute per pivot (other than the main pivot which may require you to pull the cranks off) to service em.

Anyway enjoy it mate, they're fun bikes. I'm on a Mk2 and pretty stoked on it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Hey Socket, do you know which grade those alloy pivot axles in Mk1 used to be? 60xx or some 70xx? Did even weekend DH warriors have this problem with them, or only racers?
Think they were 7075, though I could be wrong. Everyone I know had issues with em (3 of us), however it's just a pivot axle... not the hardest thing in the world to get machined up if you have to.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm asking about it because I chose the same configuration of 7075 pivot axle with IGUS bushings in my project. Though, I would go with their G bushings and we don't know what type Banshee used. I am surprised because UncaJohn used this setup in his Prototype project and he was overally satisfied with that, so far had no issues like this.

EDIT: according to its spec. the Rune frame uses 7075 T6 anodized pivot axles and IGUS L and W bushings. The W300 bushing has over 10x higher wear on hard anodized alu than on hard chrome plated steel.

Last edited:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Ok, so I have the nice opportunity to show you my first ever BIG BIKE. I finished it yesterday, so real ride impressions yet to come. Inspired by Banshee's Gucci version, but I rather went to bloody red and deadly stealth black.

Attachments

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nice to see someone else who actually owned one and knows the truth behind such garbedge.
Man dont go back there. X works was crap, regular dorado was very nice but maintanance crazy and the new one is different than both of them. Same name - different forks.