Quantcast

Post Your Morewoods!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree with Bicyclist, I would like to see the reach and stack measurements for comparison. I might measure them myself on my Izimu because the cok-pit feels short on a "large".
Reach/stack were almost identical on my Medium SX Trail and large Izimu (within .1" IIRC).

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
ok, since you guys are being helpful i got the most tipical ridemonkey question for you guys. can i get like a two sentence review on just general ride charactisics? especially for someone coming from a multi link bike (glory and faith) and if you guys ride ride/race east coast stuff examples from certain courses will probally be remmbered. i know this is dumb, but thank you. please dont say test ride... im on krutches

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
BICYCLISTS do you know that to be true for the 2009 model? i cant find their archives to see if they have change the geometry at all from the past

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I went from a Sinister r9 to an izimu and will never go back. The izimu just feels great. It's super low and corners real well. It's almost like a park bike that I can take down a race course. Btw I'm 6"2 and ride a large.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ok, since you guys are being helpful i got the most tipical ridemonkey question for you guys. can i get like a two sentence review on just general ride charactisics? especially for someone coming from a multi link bike (glory and faith) and if you guys ride ride/race east coast stuff examples from certain courses will probally be remmbered. i know this is dumb, but thank you. please dont say test ride... im on krutches
Having owned a Demo 8 and SX Trail in the recent past, the Morewood feels more connected, slightly less planted, and more maneuverable. It rewards riding well, and doesn't work if you're a hack who drags their brakes all the time. It's also way easier to work on and lighter.

Honestly, geometry, suspension, and cockpit setup make the most difference, linkage design is pretty secondary.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
cool. all sounds like what im looking for. cept my sizing issue. i ride a medium glory which according to top tube is a little shorter then the morewood small which sounds perfect cause id like a little longer. im six foot. but everyones saying their crazy short. wish top tube measurements were more reliable... wonder why they got rid of the adjustable shock mounts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Look at front-center / reach / stack, NOT toptube.

I would probably recommend a large if your medium Glory feels too short. How tall are you?

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Look at front-center / reach / stack, NOT toptube.

I would probably recommend a large if your medium Glory feels too short. How tall are you?
yeah top tube just makes no sense for dh bikes. but they dont list those other things usually. im 6 foot and my glory is just little bit to small. with the 55 mm stem im pretty happy though. wouldnt mind another inch at all though.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
yeah top tube just makes no sense for dh bikes. but they dont list those other things usually. im 6 foot and my glory is just little bit to small. with the 55 mm stem im pretty happy though. wouldnt mind another inch at all though.
If you're 6' definitely go with the Large. The cockpit will feel really cramped on a Small, you'd need to run a 90mm stem to compensate.:plthumbsdown:

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Some pics for size reference

2008 large izimu
70 mm stem
730 mm fat boy bars
175 mm crank arms
shock in slackest DH-setting, 65 degree HA.

Me in la Zubia Spain, I am 6'3

My friend on my bike on Bryan Adams www.switch-backs.com
He is shorter than me, appr 6'1

Photos by Harri

Last edited:

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
The main "problem" is that they are relatively easy to bottom out because they blow through their end stroke travel pretty fast. You can also get a bit of a wallow mid stroke feel in hard turns and jumps depending on your set up. Very good as a pure race bike. Stable and planted over rough stuff and I reckon morewood have the geo pretty dialled so it feels comfy in the turns. I don't notice too much difference in how it feels under brakes compared to my other bike (Maestro Giant).

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
The main "problem" is that they are relatively easy to bottom out because they blow through their end stroke travel pretty fast. You can also get a bit of a wallow mid stroke feel in hard turns and jumps depending on your set up. Very good as a pure race bike. Stable and planted over rough stuff and I reckon morewood have the geo pretty dialled so it feels comfy in the turns. I don't notice too much difference in how it feels under brakes compared to my other bike (Maestro Giant).
intreseting, what type of shock of shock do you run? and wallow? im not exaclty sure you mean.

and MASTSO that thing looks tiny on you, but thanks for the pics

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
My reccomendation to anyone who owns or is buying an Izimu is to get an ELKA shock for it. The rear wheel has stupid amounts of traction with the shock and better big hit absorption. I didnt notice a difference in small bumps. With ELKA you get a shock valved specifically for the bike and its cheaper than most the competitors.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
intreseting, what type of shock of shock do you run? and wallow? im not exaclty sure you mean.

and MASTSO that thing looks tiny on you, but thanks for the pics
DHX 5.0.

Waiting for the push moto upgrade to come to us with dirtworks then I'll probably get that.

As for 'wallow' I mean it feels like it rides to far into it's travel in berms and g-outs and the like. I think it's because the shock has basically no LSC and I'm running the forks with a fair bit (4 clicks from open on the 08 Boxxers). It's a bit of a compromise till I can get a different/upgrade my current shock. I think a custom tuned shock would do wonders for the bike.

Honestly I only notice this feeling on flatter, smoother freeride tracks. On real DH race tracks the bike feels great.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DHX 5.0.

Waiting for the push moto upgrade to come to us with dirtworks then I'll probably get that.

As for 'wallow' I mean it feels like it rides to far into it's travel in berms and g-outs and the like. I think it's because the shock has basically no LSC and I'm running the forks with a fair bit (4 clicks from open on the 08 Boxxers). It's a bit of a compromise till I can get a different/upgrade my current shock. I think a custom tuned shock would do wonders for the bike.

Honestly I only notice this feeling on flatter, smoother freeride tracks. On real DH race tracks the bike feels great.
That's the shock and not a characteristic of the Izimu frame.
With my double barrel, I am running a light spring and not using much HSC,
and the bike still ramps up nicely, and any wallow is controlled by the LSC adjustment. With the new shock tune, it is so easy to get it tuned just right.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
"Frame is said to weight in at 2,3kgs for a large with shock and all hardware. That's 5.07lbs. We have waited a very long time for a true full suspension xc bike from Morewood."

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
the mount for the shock is on the toptube now, anyone know the reasoning or effect of this?
The only effect would be if the shock mount position changed...and it looks like it did not. If the mount point were higher, it would be less progressive/transition to falling rate. If the mount position moved down, it would be more progressive (all to a point obviously).

My guess is that it was simple done to lower weight by removing the mount + shuttle and the large gussett of the past frame. The top tube seems a little beefed up to accept the new loads...

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
My reccomendation to anyone who owns or is buying an Izimu is to get an ELKA shock for it. The rear wheel has stupid amounts of traction with the shock and better big hit absorption. I didnt notice a difference in small bumps. With ELKA you get a shock valved specifically for the bike and its cheaper than most the competitors.
That or a CCDB. I've had a lot of help from Malcom (Cane Creek) and Richard (Morewood Distro) with setting up that shock and getting to know what setting effects what. With the high speed compression, you don't have to worry too much about blowing through travel, or at least an extremely harsh bottom out, you still feel it, but no "bottomless" feeling. I have an 05 izimu so I end up running almost zero low speed, for brake bumps and chatter, and a couple turns of high speed for g outs, and successive large drops.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Bit of a dig but anyway:

Morewood Izimu w/ Cane Creek S3 and Fox DHX 5
Rockshox Boxxer Team
Formula The One 8" front rotor 7" rear
Hope Pro II/DT comp/Sun MTX 33
Funn RSX direct mount stem and Funn Full-on 750mm bars
ODI Ruffian lock ons
Kalloy post with WTB rocket (I think, it's insanely old) seat
Shimano Hone 175mm cranks, FSA 36t pro chainring (I've hit flat ground with these out of hard corners, might need some shorter ones)
Shimano M647 DX pedals
SRAM X9 shifter and short cage rear mech
Ultegra Cassette, XTR chain
MRP system 3
Various compound Minion DHFs depending on where I'm riding

It's not a morewood or DH bike but here's my other one:

Starbury

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
I'm looking to buy an 09 small Izumu frame.

Seems like there are some Morewood riders/friends on this forum so I thought I'd reach out in this thread.

If any fellow monkeys (or friends of) are looking to sell an 09 small Izumu frame only (with or w/out rear shock) please let me know via PM.

Thx and Happy Trails!

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Figured I would see what the hype is all about! :)

Before, from page 4:

It's mine now, and I've made some changes.

Last edited:

auzzy

Chimp
May 1, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hi there, I have a question about the sizing of the Izimu's. I currently ride a medium SC VP-Free, and it is feeling a little bit small; I'm ~6'0" (that and I'm sick of the pivot bearing life). I know the large would be the best bet for me as I like to do some climbing at my local mtn, but will it be longer than the VP-Free?

Thanks guys, and all of your Morewoods look amazing!

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Hi there, I have a question about the sizing of the Izimu's. I currently ride a medium SC VP-Free, and it is feeling a little bit small; I'm ~6'0" (that and I'm sick of the pivot bearing life). I know the large would be the best bet for me as I like to do some climbing at my local mtn, but will it be longer than the VP-Free?

Thanks guys, and all of your Morewoods look amazing!
I'm just over your height and the large feels pretty good to me, but on the long side. Provided you aren't weirdly out of proportion I would say you will feel comfortable on the large, definitely not cramped.