Quantcast

Post Your Morewoods!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
JeremyR thanks for the response I too was looking at the geometry and thought to myself it would be pretty spot on for my size and riding style...what shock are you running on your kalula? I've definitely been very impressed by Richard so far he's been very helpful and patient, i look forward to buying a kalula and finding out for myself how good that frame really feels, i'll be sure to post once its all built up
CCDB for sure.
I weigh 167 and I am running a 250 spring, and it is just right.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
ohhh damnit i had a 300lb ti spring that i was hoping to put on there...at 150lbs (give or take a few) do you think I need a 200lb spring? Also I may have to ask you some specific tuning related questions once I get the bike...what size crank arms are you running, 170mm?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
ohhh damnit i had a 300lb ti spring that i was hoping to put on there...at 150lbs (give or take a few) do you think I need a 200lb spring? Also I may have to ask you some specific tuning related questions once I get the bike...what size crank arms are you running, 170mm?
Ha, I had the same spring. Tried to make the 300 ti work, but the 250 rode much better. I never tried the 200 so I am not sure. And I will help you tune it as well when you get it. I run 170mm Saints on it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Get a CCDB. Morewood USA is 5 miles from Cane Creek and they have been working very closely together for years to tune the shocks to Morewood frames.

Primo, I have met Patrick and he's a really cool, laid back guy. But I agree with everyone else, my Morewood experience was with Richard Beytagh and I'll follow him; Morewood frames or not.

Last edited:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I will definitely be getting a CCDB...do they even make a 200lb spring? I'd rather get a lighter spring and crank up the compression then vice versa (perhaps this is just me...) JeremyR where are you located? All this being said...if there's someone out there with a 200lb ti spring (or even 250) and wants to trade for 300lb PM me

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I will definitely be getting a CCDB...do they even make a 200lb spring? I'd rather get a lighter spring and crank up the compression then vice versa (perhaps this is just me...) JeremyR where are you located? All this being said...if there's someone out there with a 200lb ti spring (or even 250) and wants to trade for 300lb PM me
You can just order the 200lb ti spring with your CCDB. I just had to get one myself because they don't make a steel one that light.

clamber

Chimp
Jun 13, 2010
Utah
Im thinking about getting the Izimu, but Im wondering if the Large will be big enough. Im 6'3.

Also, does this look like it would be a good build?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im thinking about getting the Izimu, but Im wondering if the Large will be big enough. Im 6'3.

Also, does this look like it would be a good build?

To be brutally honest the Large Izimu might feel too small for you. I'm 6'1" and I ride a large and it's even small for me, it fits more like a medium. But I ride a ton of XC and I tend to like my bikes(including DH) to be larger. Your personal preferences might be a little different though.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
If you are tall do not go for Morewood!

I rode a "large" Izimu during 2008 and it made me slower. I could not charge as much as I can with a bike that is long enough. The effective TT measurement seems ok but the reach/cock-pit are really short on morewood.

Save your money and buy something that fits. Morewood are super good bikes but do not buy until they make longer sizes.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My settings won't help you guys much. My shocks aren't stock. I am constantly working with Cane Creek to test out new ideas. But in general for the Makulu you want more HSC than you think and less HRS than you think. I run just a few clicks out from middle on LSC and just a few clicks in from middle on LSR. The Makulus have such a low leverage curve that a good amount of HSC will keep the shock up in the stroke, but the beauty of the CCDB is such that it still doesn't feel overly harsh. Heavy rebound damping kills these bikes because of the low spring weights.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
How are you Makulu owners with Elka shocks finding them. I've a bos on mine and its started leaking after the doing the bc cup race at the weekend. Im in Canada for a few weeks biking so thinking of picking up an elka to keep me on the trails till I get home and get the boss sorted

Last edited:

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Need some help setting up my rear shock...

I have a Large Makulu with CCDB. I am 5'10 225lbs. what are you guys running your settings @, and hows it working?

Thanks...

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
on a similar note, anyone else having rubbing issues with the spring on the black part of the shock body? I'm running a cane creek spring and getting some serious rub (i can hear it and feel the vibration...)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
KONKRETE, see my above post on suggestions.

As for the spring rubbing the black part. Its supposed to. It protects the spring from rubbing the aluminum shock body. The springs are so soft and long that they deflect some and rub the body.

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Windrock, sounds good !!! Yeah i picked it up this past wknd, will have it built soon. I'll post pics soon!!!

Did you get that purdy blue one? That bike is so sick!

If you ever make it to the south, you're officially allowed at Windrock now. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Anyone know what size shock an '06 izimu takes? I thought it was 9.5x3 but my bike came with a 2.75 spring.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
After 2 sundays and one revolt..... here is my last ride...Morewood Makulu size L

i hope you like it as much as i do...

it weights 16.940 kilos (37.3 pounds)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Get a CCDB. Morewood USA is 5 miles from Cane Creek and they have been working very closely together for years to tune the shocks to Morewood frames.

Primo, I have met Patrick and he's a really cool, laid back guy. But I agree with everyone else, my Morewood experience was with Richard Beytagh and I'll follow him; Morewood frames or not.
Well said....

I'm on my 3rd Morewood & buying another one from Richard. Did some business with Richard w/ photos and ads (Duro Tires Ad).... but now I'm on the fence of ordering an Ndiza....

I've been a Morewood advocate ever since i started dealing with Richard. reason i stayed with morewood is because of Ricahrd! His customer service is second to none. If Richard is out of the picture then i will move on to another bike company!

Can this be clarified, what is what? Who is who, who is doing what, etc? My loyalty is to Richard....

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Guess you like Richard.
Everyone likes richard... that is the reason why alot of people have purchased Morewood's.... if it weren't for Richard, Morewood Bikes in the US will be like LePierre bikes in the US; non existent!

Morewood's are amazing bikes... Richard just makes the buying experience very good....!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can this be clarified, what is what? Who is who, who is doing what, etc? My loyalty is to Richard....
I talked with Richard this weekend and the simplest way to put it is that Richard is MorewoodUSA plain and simple and anybody in North America can call him and get anything Morewood that they need as was explained to me.

And that other guy...well, you see how swell of a person he is. Imagine how he'll treat the consumer.:D

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
And that other guy...well, you see how swell of a person he is. Imagine how he'll treat the consumer.:D
For what it's worth Lance has been really cool to me even though I bought my bike used off of eBay. He has been willing to take my calls and emails and if I was buying new I'd have no issues buying from him.

I'm on an 07 Izimu and have been thinking of a Makulu.
Sooooo, i called the other guy to feel him out and he directed me to a shop on the westcoast and not once did he even mention Morewood USA or Richard at all so that tells me alot abut the new guys ethics.
New Guy = FAIL.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
New Guy....

I have no experience with the "new guy".... don't know him. But if Richard is still around i will be sticking with Morewood for years to come....

We're all family, even my "cousin" purchases a Kalula from him just recently.. . :-)

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Well said....

I'm on my 3rd Morewood & buying another one from Richard. Did some business with Richard w/ photos and ads (Duro Tires Ad).... but now I'm on the fence of ordering an Ndiza....

I've been a Morewood advocate ever since i started dealing with Richard. reason i stayed with morewood is because of Ricahrd! His customer service is second to none. If Richard is out of the picture then i will move on to another bike company!

Come on WhoRyder...I'd like to think I had something to do with you getting on a Morewood! :)

Gotta agree Richard is the man! Great guy to do business with...an asset to the bike industry and I'm proud to call him a friend...he is Morewood in the US...no one can duplicate what he's done...he's created a family around the Morewood brand...I've personally owned over 10 different Morewoods and it has everything to do with Richard and his family! Great People...I'm with Profro...where Richard goes so goes my wallet!