Quantcast

potent wine

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the wife and i had dinner sat night in cambridge before we went to the soundtrack of our lives show. ordered a bottle of Turley zin (pricy, but you *never* see this stuff near Boston, and it was priced very very well for a restaurant list). it was excellent wine, but what i couldn't believe was the alcohol content. 16.4%!!! that's crazy! i think the highest i'd had before was a Ridge zin at 15% or so. i didn't think that wine could be that strong.

to the winemaker's credit, it didn't taste alcoholic.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
That's pretty high for wine. You can get yeasts that can handle over 20% ABV nowadays. That could make for a killer barleywine...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
20 year old port is awesome (can't remember the brand, bottle comes in a copper colored cylinder tin)

I think it was a tawny port

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
True. Ports and many German Dessert Wines can be quite strong. As a general rule, if the wine is intended to be consumed before or during dinner, it will have a lesser ABV. During dessert and after dinner is when things start to warm up with stronger wines.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
llkoolkeg said:
During dessert and after dinner is when things start to warm up with stronger wines.
Yes, after dinner its supposed to clear your palette but I guess all it really does is dull your nerves telling you you are full :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've never tried eiswein (and i've been told you can get some good stuff from ontario too; doesn't have to be german or austrian) but have had a few ports. i do prefer ruby, though.

i've got a bottle of 2000 vintage in my cellar which i hope my son will share w/ his son at some point.

i have had a sauterne too; that was delicious. maybe i'll be able to try some d'yquem before my time is through.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
i've never tried eiswein (and i've been told you can get some good stuff from ontario too; doesn't have to be german or austrian) but have had a few ports.
Inskillin Ice Wine.....Mmmmm tasty.....jdcamb

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
yeah, that's the stuff.

ss, my d'yquem plan would include financial backing from someone else. :help:
Sorta like trying to get a cellar together with some Cheval Blanc, Lafite-R, Petrus, Haut-Brion, and a nice selection of '97 Super Tuscans..... :p

Sometimes I wish I was independently wealthy. :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've pretty much figured i'd never pay for a 1st growth bottle, but i've got a couple 2nd growths (leoville-barton, cos d'estournel) in the cellar. but not enough. i've also got a '96 tig, and a few lesser super tuscans. my bro bought a bottle of ornellaia for me for my b-day a few years ago but he insisted on opening it. it was like killing a small puppy.

the highest $ wines i've got were ones i bought for my two sons, and i will crack them open w/ them to celebrate their 21st b-days. dominus, BV georges la tour, stag's leap Fay, and neibaum-coppola rubicon (although that one may not have the legs for the whole journey, in which case i'll substitute one of the two '95 barolos i've got).

damn, grape juice can get spendy in a hurry.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Sadly, I can't afford anything more than about $20/bottle.

Someday, though....... maybe...........

I know - I'll spend my kids' college money of vino! :thumb:

-S.S.-
well i definitely bent my budget for the kids' wines but figure that was ok. back a few years ago when i was going to europe for business trips a decent amount, i'd try to bring a bottle or two back on each trip. the euro wasn't smoking the greenback at that point either, and berry bros and rudd had a kickass selection in the duty free shops in heathrow. sadly, they severely downsized it last time i was there. :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
well i definitely bent my budget for the kids' wines but figure that was ok. back a few years ago when i was going to europe for business trips a decent amount, i'd try to bring a bottle or two back on each trip. the euro wasn't smoking the greenback at that point either, and berry bros and rudd had a kickass selection in the duty free shops in heathrow. sadly, they severely downsized it last time i was there. :(
It'd be nice if the $$ would give the Euro a good trouncing again, eh? At least WRT buying nice wine.............. :D

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
I think that chit's been overpriced for years..........

I do like your idea of using the kids as an excuse to buy 'spensive vino. :thumb:

-S.S.-
californian wines seem *way* less apt to drop their price in offseasons. granted, they've had very good years over the past decade, but the gig was up when they were trying to charge '97 cab prices for '98 cab wines.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I think 97-98 were very good years. Getting back to Ports, I love a good bottle of port with a nice cigar:thumb: Lately I've been drinking V. Satui, Madera so good:thumb: A good bottle of inexpensive port is 6 Grapes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
'98?

http://www.winetech.com/html/vintchrt.html

parker rates '98 an 85 for cali cabs, and '97 gets a 94. 1998 was the worst year since '89 (and tied w/ 2000)

for everyday port, i like the sandeman's reserve. i once had a sip of something exorbitant (like a '75 or '61 reserve from one of the majors), and it convinced me that i don't need to spend $$$ on port. i was a work function down in philly @ the four seasons, and we had some after dinner drinks. a bunch of us were laughing at the price of that port (it was probably $140 or so for a glass, but i can't recall exact details), and the waitress snuck us out a glass on the house so we all tried it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The one I like a lot is Andresen Royal Choice 20 (Twenty Year Old Tawny Porto) Matured in wood, made in Portugal :thumb:

My port and wine knowledge is very limited though...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
In general, port is my favorite type of wine. I just enjoy it a lot. One bonus is that you don't have to spend a whole lot to get something decent (well, as long as you spend a reasonable amount and look for a reputable maker). I had a bottle of Feist tawny this weekend and it was great. I don't smoke cigars, but I love a glass of port and some sharp cheddar or chocolate.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You all can have all the port if I can have all the Ridge Zinfandel...man I can't get enough of that stuff...yum Lytton Springs, Geyserville, it just goes on and on...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
You all can have all the port if I can have all the Ridge Zinfandel...man I can't get enough of that stuff...yum Lytton Springs, Geyserville, it just goes on and on...
:thumb:

ridge is my fave wine.

i'm down to only 4 or so bottles of the '97 geyserville. :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
really? what about them don't you like? the Ridges are fabulous (and aren't just a straightup zin; they are usually blended w/ some other stuff like carigagne, mataro, or other grapes).

i love a big lusty zin. the only drawbacks are that they tend to be pretty high in alcohol, and they are usually a bit rough around the edges. kinda like the US version of a barbera.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
really? what about them don't you like? the Ridges are fabulous (and aren't just a straightup zin; they are usually blended w/ some other stuff like carigagne, mataro, or other grapes).

i love a big lusty zin. the only drawbacks are that they tend to be pretty high in alcohol, and they are usually a bit rough around the edges. kinda like the US version of a barbera.
They tend to be too sweet for my tastes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
They tend to be too sweet for my tastes.
you must be thinking of the horrible bastard child white zinfandels (which shouldn't share the same name as they have defiled it).

try a zin from Ridge, Green & Red, Renwood, Ravenswood, Rosenblum, or Grgich Hills and get back to me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
you must be thinking of the horrible bastard child white zinfandels (which shouldn't share the same name as they have defiled it).

try a zin from Ridge, Green & Red, Renwood, Ravenswood, Rosenblum, or Grgich Hills and get back to me.
One of our local liquor joints had a wine tasting called "Zinfandel - it's a RED wine"....... :p

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
us-based barberas evoke the same feeling as us-based sangioveses...why bother? you can usually get cheaper and better choices from italy. the range is a lot more, at the least.

not too many stores stock much in the way of barberas, though.

haev you tried dolcettos? they are nice too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
us-based barberas evoke the same feeling as us-based sangioveses...why bother? you can usually get cheaper and better choices from italy. the range is a lot more, at the least.

not too many stores stock much in the way of barberas, though.

haev you tried dolcettos? they are nice too.
Yep. I've had all sorts of stuff from Piedmont, short of barolos. I can't afford a decent barolo. :(

Yeah - 'round here you have to go to a pretty big liquor store to find more than a half dozen Italian barberas & dolcettos. Although this place kicks a$$ for Italian wine:

http://www.mondovino.net/

Dammit. They used to have an actual site........

-S.S.-

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:

Same goes for the reds zins I've tried.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
which red zins have you tried that are too sweet?

i'd be willing to fly over there w/ a bottle of ridge, and a bottle of bordeaux, and give you a blind tasting.

and your reply insinuates you've tried white zins. :sneaky:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
which red zins have you tried that are too sweet?

i'd be willing to fly over there w/ a bottle of ridge, and a bottle of bordeaux, and give you a blind tasting.

and your reply insinuates you've tried white zins. :sneaky:
Probably not a very good one then, I usally stay away from zins anyway. I'm more of a cab, merlot snob. But do fly out, we can drink wine (go to Napa) and ride:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a good friend of mine is in menlo park and is trying to get me and my bike out west this summer. we'll see, but it's tough to pry solo vacation time out of the family plan.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I've found zins, as well as its parent wine, primitivo to often times be *really* forward and substantial in the "fruit" department. Maybe that's what he means.

Zins and Primitivos seem to often be "in your face" wines.

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
true, but i can't reconcile "sweet" as a term i'd use for zins. about the only red wine i can think of which could be construed that way might be a thin pinot noir, if it's really fruity (ie, heavy cherry or strawberry overtones w/ nothing behind them).

a friend of ours brought a primitivo over for dinner (Flaio) and i wasn't a big fan. way too harsh and rough, even moreso than say the Ravenswood vintner's blend zins.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
<snip>a friend of ours brought a primitivo over for dinner (Flaio) and i wasn't a big fan. way too harsh and rough, even moreso than say the Ravenswood vintner's blend zins.
Yep - Primitivo I've found to be less refined than California zins. Although I've not had alot of either.

And I can't say I've ever tasted strawberry overtones in a pinot.... :think:

Of course, I ain't no conneesewer. :p

-S.S.-