Quantcast

Professional Mountain Biker Pay

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
and real estate in other countries isn't the same as real estate in the US.
Interesting that you say that. What made me post about this was seeing Remy Metailler post on instasnap a video of his new home in BC, cribs are not cheap there and his is pretty fukkin nice.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
people who hustle content successfully make way more than those that don’t. I think it one of those classic things, 20% of the top media-savvy racers make 80% of the available monies. Everyone else fights for the scraps.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Interesting that you say that. What made me post about this was seeing Remy Metailler post on instasnap a video of his new home in BC, cribs are not cheap there and his is pretty fukkin nice.
Yeah I was surprised with how nice his house was but he makes a ton of content that blows up online. I was more surprised with Matt Jones

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Remy isn't a racer. racers make up over 90% of the surveyed participants. and as far as I have seen, PB hasn't correlated the data between discipline and pay other than for racers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't read this years survey in detail, as the way they present it kind of makes my brain hurt.

But some of what I saw seems to be skewed towards prize payouts as being a source of income, which shouldn't be news to anyone.

The survey also kind of suggests that these folk having a second job is a bad thing. Racing or events is maybe 6 months of year, what about the rest? How many of these folks are also coaches, guides or have a real job?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
uhm, you think that’s different here? building materials are not. you pay double, once for the fake materials design and for the high timber price. at least here you get something substantial…
i'm not talking about new construction. existing houses, even ones that are half a century or older (like mine) have skyrocketed in cost. house prices in my neighborhood (which were all built at the same time in the 60s and are virtually identical ) are up ~50% since we bought ours 10 years ago, and the vast majority of that has been in the last 2 years.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i'm not talking about new construction. existing houses, even ones that are half a century or older (like mine) have skyrocketed in cost. house prices in my neighborhood (which were all built at the same time in the 60s and are virtually identical ) are up ~50% since we bought ours 10 years ago, and the vast majority of that has been in the last 2 years.
the new studio i‘m renting from april on in zurich is 45chf/m2. if i would buy a flat it would be quite hard to find some under a million for a 1-2 bedroom apartment

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The price pressure is everywhere that people want to live, at the moment.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, just being paid to ride your bike from your main sponsor isn't enough, I assume. It's not like the 90's.

"Side hustles" other sponsors, social media stuffs, I assume, also help.

But, by no means, am I a pro at any of the above. I have a corporate job. Maybe I shouldn't? :)

My sister, for example, takes pictures of her cats and somehow gets a ton of free stuff and maybe even money. I don't really ask. I just SMH

Other people film themselves taking toys out of a box and play with them. Somehow they're millionaires? IDK...

And don't get me started on the "Berm Peak" guy. Like my sister, I just SMH, you can afford all of that from a youtube channel? FFS sure, you do you.

I'd rather just watch the pros being pros and doing their stuff. Aspen X Games was just on/happening. I'm sure they get paid a ton. But also do the socials. And Snowsports are usually more popular than MTB. So there's that.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the new studio i‘m renting from april on in zurich is 45chf/m2. if i would buy a flat it would be quite hard to find some under a million for a 1-2 bedroom apartment
maybe my calculations / conversions are off but 45chf/m2 doesn't seem that much, then again i haven't rented in about a decade. also price comparisons city vs suburbs isn't always apples to apples.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was more surprised with Matt Jones
You mean his farmhouse, personal indoor (shed) skatepark and DJ compound?
I remember watching this 5 years back just a few months after he started his YT channel and had just moved into a small(ish) flat with his GF.
150million Youtube views obviously pays quite well.
Who knew?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think we can all agree, that unless you live in the absolute boonies*, the cost of either buying or renting a place to live is going to cost you $$$$ now.

*even if your residence costs less, these types of places often have their own catches, like more expensive food, fuel etc etc.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For the influencer vs racer comparison, I'd assume 90% of those in a position to even give "influencer life" a crack probably already have family money or considerable backing to fall back on if it all goes awry anyway.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
OK, so let's look at Jack Moir. He wins races and has a cool Youtube channel (I'll miss Party Boy and Mr. Bombo, btw. Hopefully SteveO is still in it) But how much MORE do you think he is making because of youtube?

And for that matter....how does anyone get paid from youtube? Honestly, I don't even know...Advertisement?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Influencing is very much a multi level gateway. Genuinely all you need is social media followers and a brass neck.

Yes. advertising revenue is a big part of Youtube. but given a big enough audience you'll also naturally make money from companies/products you promote

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
OK, so let's look at Jack Moir. He wins races and has a cool Youtube channel (I'll miss Party Boy and Mr. Bombo, btw. Hopefully SteveO is still in it) But how much MORE do you think he is making because of youtube?

And for that matter....how does anyone get paid from youtube? Honestly, I don't even know...Advertisement?
Jack Moir most likely doesn't make much from Youtube, as his subscriber and video view counts are generally pretty low.

If we compare Jack's channel to your favourite guy, Seth, from Berm Peak, that'll give a good idea of the difference in numbers.

Subscribers
Jack - 33000
Berm Peak - 2500000

Last video upload view count
For Jack, I went back to same period of time as Berm Peak's last video)

Jack - 8000 views
Berm Peak - 420000 views

Channel views

Jack - 4929000
Berm Peak - 651125000

So you can see the difference in numbers is gigantic. Obviously, Seth has 0 income or even potential of earnings and opportunities from racing.

One other difference is that Berm Peak itself is a whole brand - there is huge following, merchandise and he has a Patreon account which has been used to help fund a new bike park.

Other Youtube people get a lot of income from being shills to sponsored product placements and whatnot. Its been increasing over time and I skip right past that shit. Now we're getting Google's ads and then the video hosts themselves are doing in-video ads - often for shit that has no relation to the video content. Some people do it right and keep it quick and honest at the start or whatever......others not so much.

And even then, Berm Peak's numbers are tiny in comparison to a lot of channels from other categories. There are people out there blowing through thousands...hundreds of thousands...millions even maybe on producing video content.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Jack Moir most likely doesn't make much from Youtube, as his subscriber and video view counts are generally pretty low.

If we compare Jack's channel to your favourite guy, Seth, from Berm Peak, that'll give a good idea of the difference in numbers.

Subscribers
Jack - 33000
Berm Peak - 2500000

Last video upload view count
For Jack, I went back to same period of time as Berm Peak's last video)

Jack - 8000 views
Berm Peak - 420000 views

Channel views

Jack - 4929000
Berm Peak - 651125000

So you can see the difference in numbers is gigantic. Obviously, Seth has 0 income or even potential of earnings and opportunities from racing.

One other difference is that Berm Peak itself is a whole brand - there is huge following, merchandise and he has a Patreon account which has been used to help fund a new bike park.

Other Youtube people get a lot of income from being shills to sponsored product placements and whatnot. Its been increasing over time and I skip right past that shit. Now we're getting Google's ads and then the video hosts themselves are doing in-video ads - often for shit that has no relation to the video content. Some people do it right and keep it quick and honest at the start or whatever......others not so much.

And even then, Berm Peak's numbers are tiny in comparison to a lot of channels from other categories. There are people out there blowing through thousands...hundreds of thousands...millions even maybe on producing video content.
Yeah, thanks for the analysis! That's actually pretty cool and interesting.

I'm in IT, but don't do any of this kind of stuff. Fascinating that making a video of stupid shit makes you a millionaire :)

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
damn, that seth guy gets some solid engagement. doesn't at all appeal to me, but evidently connects with *some* significant mountain bike demographic. huh.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
zurich is notoriously expensive... and my friends tell me the common thing is to finance, but w/o a goal of actually paying everything off... as it's not advantageous or some such. At least this is how it was 10 years ago. Gotta be lucky or have family connections to buy a place in Zurich. In their case, they had both (?) and bought a place nobody else wanted, that took 2 years to get the owner/occupant out of. Then they gutted and massively renovated.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
not paying it off has a different background. in switzerland home owners pay a tax on a fictional income they could earn if they would rent out the property they live in. but you can deduct the mortgage payments from your taxable income, so that it evens out the tax.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You mean his farmhouse, personal indoor (shed) skatepark and DJ compound?
I remember watching this 5 years back just a few months after he started his YT channel and had just moved into a small(ish) flat with his GF.
150million Youtube views obviously pays quite well.
Who knew?
Well spotted. Didn't notice he had that many YT views. Then yeah. Though I see creators complaining YT pay isn't what it used to be but then again YT sponsors make up for that. So it makes sense now. Well spotted. Always assumed his YT channel was smaller and he just had a few hits even if I'm a fan and watch his stuff fairly often

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah, honestly. I find that strange as well. What is the appeal there?
I find the guy to be a good entertainer and communicator. I watch maybe 1 video out of 4 from him. The guy talks about bikes, trailbuilding, wrenching and bike-shop stuff and does it well IMO. I find he struck a good balance of experimenting with stuff, while staying away from doing really stupid shit or trying too hard to be funny. The videos are not too long and well edited to get rid of the boring stuff. I like the way he documents his wrenching, trailbuilding and shop-improvement work. Somewhat informative, but mostly entertaining.

Good videos for relaxing in the bong shed before going to bed.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well spotted. Didn't notice he had that many YT views. Then yeah. Though I see creators complaining YT pay isn't what it used to be but then again YT sponsors make up for that. So it makes sense now. Well spotted. Always assumed his YT channel was smaller and he just had a few hits.
not really well noticed.
Back then I watched a fair bit of Harry Main's channel. Harry bought an mtb off Matt to spread his content to a wider audience. Next thing Matt has a channel. Roll on a few years and Matt is now living the lifestyle Harry always pretended to.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
not really well noticed.
Back then I watched a fair bit of Harry Main's channel. Harry bought an mtb off Matt to spread his content to a wider audience. Next thing Matt has a channel. Roll on a few years and Matt is now living the lifestyle Harry always pretended to.
Well better noticed than me because I'm blind and didn't notice the views. Good for him. His content is really good I just didn't expect it worked that well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The best way to be a racer so you can train and get to a competitive level is to be independently wealthy, or have your parents be that, so you can dedicate to training and practice.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Guys…
um, so the “rich” youtubers were “rich” to begin with, ya?
For every you-tubing ex-racer who went back to college and got insight into marketing and demographic changes coming in the bike industry and the world at large(Mr Kmetz) you have many more people who never raced, had real-ass jobs and quit to “‘make content” and get paid(or make it look like they are getting paid).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Guys…
For every you-tubing ex-racer who went back to college and got insight into marketing and demographic changes coming in the bike industry and the world at large(Mr Kmetz) you have many more people who never raced, had real-ass jobs and quit to “‘make content” and get paid(or make it look like they are getting paid).
so where's your uTūb channel? ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Guys…
Hey, i just speak from experience. My parents couldn’t drive or get me to every ski race practice and only a couple races. I basically had no chance of getting competitive. Besides gear handicaps, which is important, but only a fraction of it, I was stuck.