Quantcast

Proposing to the lady on Friday.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Holy crap, it's actually happening. At least I'm pretty sure she'll say yes. :shocked:

I'm sure there will be plenty of 'No, don't do it!', but I'm stoked. She's a cool chick. Funny thing is, it all started when I got to talking to her dad and he called me back to give me her number. Went on a blind date with her wondering what kind of moo cow was going to show up and was pleasantly surprised.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DONT BLOW IT!!

;)

sorry, just had to add to the pressure you must already feel.
Happily married with one kid here... I'm sure it will all be just fine.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
good luck. this thought has been crossing my mind for the past few weeks too.
I think as it gets closer, I'm not really nervous about actually doing it, it's more of just doing it right. She's not particular or picky, but you still know it's a story she's going to tell all of her friends, so you don't want to look like an idiot.

I have been planning for a while and actually had to give her a BS story about doing something for her bday because she accused me of being shady. They definitely know when you are up to something, no matter how careful and sly you think you are. I think the only way around it would be to plan everything yourself and tell no one, but I need a few people to make it happen.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
All joking aside, I'm stoked for you. Any girl that agrees to roll to an all dude, dirtbag lift assist trip is ok in my book. She's also easy on the eyes.:)

...And I told you not to park in the driveway. Park down the street and I'll meet you.
you b*tch.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
All joking aside, I'm stoked for you. Any girl that agrees to roll to an all dude, dirtbag lift assist trip is ok in my book. She's also easy on the eyes.:)
True dat. She actually had fun too, which is good for me.

On a side note, I'm stoked for Santos having a kid.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sweet dude, good luck! So how are ya gonna do it?
She thinks it's for her bday and that we are going to dinner somewhere. We have this spot that we go to quite a bit on the beach. One of my friends is getting there early and setting up a blanket with some champagne and other stuff. We will sit and talk for a while then I will surprise her. Then, after I propose, we are going to a restaurant we both like and I have set up a dinner for about 30 of our friends and family.

At dinner, I will tell her I set the whole weekend aside and we can go anywhere she wants (Most weekends I am usually on call for work or have to work at least one day). I looked at doing some crazy stuff like a helicopter ride or something like that, but it's hard to justify the price when I can pay for a whole weekend away for what a 30 minute helicopter ride costs. I think she would enjoy spending a weekend together more than riding in a helicopter or something like that.

Hopefully it doesn't suck.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I hope you incorporate it being April Fools somehow in the proposal.
Yea, I planned it for that day because I have always told her it would be funny. I am going to propose to her with a home made ring in an ipod shuffle box first and then let her think I'm kidding before I pull out the real ring. She always gives me a hard time about wanting to fix or hand make everything.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yea, I planned it for that day because I have always told her it would be funny. I am going to propose to her with a home made ring in an ipod shuffle box first and then let her think I'm kidding before I pull out the real ring. She always gives me a hard time about wanting to fix or hand make everything.
Congrats.
Srsly consider not being silly about it. I'm sure she is cool, but let her have that moment.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice man. Best of luck. Proposing was probably the nerve wrecking moment of my life even though I knew she would say yes. Best decision of me life. We are hitting our 1 year anniversary this year.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
just so you know, the blanket and champagne will be a ringer. She'll know right away.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
am thinking about doing the same...
havent thought about details yet, and havent bought a ring or anything neither..

there is a paul mccartney concert in may, which could be a good ocassion.... so i might get 2 front row seats :eek:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
just so you know, the blanket and champagne will be a ringer. She'll know right away.
I try to do romantic stuff for her randomly, so I don't think she will put it together right off the bat. Like I said, she is pretty well conviced we are doing something for her bday.

am thinking about doing the same...
havent thought about details yet, and havent bought a ring or anything neither..

there is a paul mccartney concert in may, which could be a good ocassion.... so i might get 2 front row seats :eek:
The ring wasn't too bad. My mom has a jeweler that she has gone to forever and she gave me a pretty good hookup. Everywhere else I went was at least 30% more than I paid, especially for the setting.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have been specifically "suggested" to get white gold.

now, the thing is diamonds. i truly believe diamonds are the world´s biggest ripoff, and debeers should suck cancerous donkey balls, and there is no real reason why i should pay thousands of dollars for a pebble some poor soul working at slavery levels found on the ground...
now it seems, women, no matter how educated, progressive or independent.. will rewind back 100,000 years in to a pre-neanderthal stage heat the moment they smell one...
this presents a very interesting dilemma to me.

this issue withstading, i will check into local jewerly stores to see whats up...

CastleMaster

Monkey
Jan 11, 2010
Upper Newport Bay

now, the thing is diamonds. i truly believe diamonds are the world´s biggest ripoff, and debeers should suck cancerous donkey balls, and there is no real reason why i should pay thousands of dollars for a pebble some poor soul working at slavery levels found on the ground...
now it seems, women, no matter how educated, progressive or independent.. will rewind back 100,000 years in to a pre-neanderthal stage heat the moment they smell one...

this issue withstading, i will check into local jewerly stores to see whats up...
The answer to this is you have to buy a really fvcking nice diamond. :clue:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

Agree 100%. FWIW cash talks and do your research before you start to deal. Check something like Blue Nile first so you can get an idea of a baseline. There are some other online places as well. I bought a 1.0 CW center stone. E color, VS1 clarity. Just find a stone that speaks to you and always, always, buy a loose stone and then pick a setting and deal on both. I always get their best 'cash out the door' price. If it's not what you want, move on.

Things can easily be cleverly set to hide flaws. Not that that is always bad, you just want to know what you are getting. If you buy a car knowing the brakes need work, that's cool, you just don't want to find that out when you try to stop.

There are huge swings in prices in jewelry, the stones, precious metals, all of it. I paid less out the door than most places would quote me for even before tax and the ring was custom assembled for me. Here is the raw setting. This is the stone that I bought with an empty frame and the prongs just set in there. It looks yellow, but that is normal, because is what white gold looks like until it is Rhodium plated and polished. White gold isn't actually the color you see on finished 'white-gold' settings.

Don't waste your money on platinum.

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

I got lucky. My wife doesn't care for diamonds. Well, she likes them, but she likes other stones better. So instead of a diamond, I got her a sapphire in a platinum setting with little diamonds scattered down the sides. The small diamonds are pretty inexpensive, and because the sapphire was a much better deal than a diamond I was able to get a platinum band. It was a custom ring and turned out really well. She loves it, and says that she gets compliments at least once a week. This is it here. http://www.croninjewelers.com/pop/popup.html?item=engagementrings_1_10

Before De Beers started marketing diamonds as the stone that should be used in engagement rings, sapphires were traditionally used. So there is some history to it.

Getting married was one of the best decisions I've made. So good luck to both of you in this thread.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Congrats dude. Good luck.

Do you even still ride bikes? :D Haven't seen you in forever.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Congrats dude. Good luck.

Do you even still ride bikes? :D Haven't seen you in forever.
Dude, I have been wanting to get out so bad lately, but crap just keeps coming up. Winter is our busy time with hockey season. Between that and being on call, it kills a lot of weekends. Add in family crap like my brother having a kid and it's been non-stop. We need to set something up. I'm really looking forward to some trips this summer. I'd like to put together a Whistler trip this summer. I keep saying it and it hasn't happened yet. :(

I'm getting my pay cut 5% at work, so that sucks, but on the bright side, they are doing it by cutting our hours, so 36 is now full time for the next year. So, I will get paid less, but will *hopefully* have more time to ride, since I will be off during the week. How and when is still TBD.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Just find a stone that speaks to you and always, always, buy a loose stone and then pick a setting and deal on both.

Don't waste your money on platinum.
The disadvantage to buying the setting and stone separately is that you can run into warranty problems. If something happens to the stone, they'll sometimes blame the setting and refuse the warranty. And the place that sells you the setting isn't going to cover the stone unless they sell it to you.

Platinum was well worth the additional cost to my wife and I. Rhodium wears off pretty quickly, and then has to be re-plated to look white again. Some places will do this for free. Others charge for it, typically in the $60 range. Do that a couple of times a year and you reach the cost of a platinum ring in a fairly short amount of time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sucks about the pay cut, but more time to ride's always good. I totally hear you on the being busy thing, I'm working WAY too much right now.

I'm not going to be around all summer, but I'm here for another month and a half, and I'll be back around the 1st of September. If we can get a ride in before then, awesome, if not I'll see you in the fall sometime.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The disadvantage to buying the setting and stone separately is that you can run into warranty problems. If something happens to the stone, they'll sometimes blame the setting and refuse the warranty. And the place that sells you the setting isn't going to cover the stone unless they sell it to you.

Platinum was well worth the additional cost to my wife and I. Rhodium wears off pretty quickly, and then has to be re-plated to look white again. Some places will do this for free. Others charge for it, typically in the $60 range. Do that a couple of times a year and you reach the cost of a platinum ring in a fairly short amount of time.
I meant buy the setting and stone from the same place. You are right about the warranty. Another reason why I went with a 6 prong setting. Admittedly, a 4 prong looks cleaner, but you snag one prong and there's not much left to hold the stone.

To each their own, but there's no way a white gold setting should have to be plated a couple times a year.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
First off, congrats. Second, for future reference for anyone getting married to an active chick, my wife didn't want a setting that she'd feel as though she'd have to take off when she was riding/being active and didn't want a setting she felt as though would maim children or the retarded. I ended up getting her a wedding band as her engagement ring.

Again, congrats. Being married is pretty cool. Wait till you guys start popping out children's. Not THAT is being married.