Quantcast

Proposing to the lady on Friday.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
BigT is not a jewelry kind of girl, and that suits me fine. I bought her engagement ring all on my own, and she knew I was going to propose, but didn't know when. I proposed at Vietnam, the same place where I asked her out. Best thing I've ever done.

CastleMaster

Monkey
Jan 11, 2010
Upper Newport Bay
The disadvantage to buying the setting and stone separately is that you can run into warranty problems. If something happens to the stone, they'll sometimes blame the setting and refuse the warranty. And the place that sells you the setting isn't going to cover the stone unless they sell it to you.
Insurance anyone?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Good luck!

I carried my engagement ring around for 9 months. Was going to do it but we gOt into a deep discussion about the meaning of marriage, divorce, all that. Carried it with me on numerous vacations. West coast trail, new Orleans, hikes, etc...

Finally did it on a ride.. All good!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Alexis - If you want to get the lady a nice diamond, you can always look at synthetic. They are notably less expensive, chemically identical, and perfect. Supposedly the only way you can tell them from a real diamond is that they are TOO perfect.
Given that diamond rings are more of a 'look at me/how much he was willing to spend' item, give her the best without screwing the both of you for money in the future.

Going back in time, I would have gotten wifey a much nicer synthetic diamond for half of what I spent. She and her friends would not know the difference unless appraising it. The questions then becomes why would that be done unless it's being sold or insured? If sold, it doesn't matter to you; if for insurance tell her you'll buy her an even bigger one if she loses it.

I truly admire and respect the women that appreciate a simple band the doubles as their wedding and engagement bands.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i got basically the same ring but in platinum and four prong. big honkin diamond in the middle, matching wedding band. looks tits!

one week from saturday....!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If someone needs a ring!!! :D I have cleaned off all of the cheating whore off of it!

http://denver.craigslist.org/jwl/2296324186.html
Bad Juju dude. I'd say it was grandma's or something if I was trying to sell it.

Alexis - If you want to get the lady a nice diamond, you can always look at synthetic. They are notably less expensive, chemically identical, and perfect. Supposedly the only way you can tell them from a real diamond is that they are TOO perfect.
Given that diamond rings are more of a 'look at me/how much he was willing to spend' item, give her the best without screwing the both of you for money in the future.

Going back in time, I would have gotten wifey a much nicer synthetic diamond for half of what I spent. She and her friends would not know the difference unless appraising it. The questions then becomes why would that be done unless it's being sold or insured? If sold, it doesn't matter to you; if for insurance tell her you'll buy her an even bigger one if she loses it.
While I recognize the cold hard wisdom and reality of this, getting married is not a financial decision. Run this past your wife and let me know what she says. :think:

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bad Juju dude. I'd say it was grandma's or something if I was trying to sell it.

While I recognize the cold hard wisdom and reality of this, getting married is not a financial decision. Run this past your wife and let me know what she says. :think:
She was trying to argue that it's 'different' and that she likes it because it sparkles, etc. When I pointed out that a perfect diamond will sparkle more and that if we still had half the amount that I spent on it (as I took it out of my DNDN shares), we would have 10x that amount due to the stock increasing.
It really hit home when I pointed out that we would be most of the way through a new house purchase.

She has agreed that any diamonds she gets going fwd will be synthetic.:thumb:

As for the bad juju, it's just a rock and precious metal. Sell back the gold to a jeweler and re-mount the stone. problem solved.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

I truly admire and respect the women that appreciate a simple band the doubles as their wedding and engagement bands.
My co-worker recently divorced and found out after the fact that she had a synthetic. She was IRATE. Said it would not have been a big deal if she had known but the surprise of it was a big issue.

Granted they were already divorced at the time but if they weren't they would have been shortly after due to this.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol to fake diamonds. It's like a fiero replica. Yeah, it might actually be nice, and hell, you might fool quite a few people...but it's still a fake, no matter how much you want to believe. to me, diamonds are rarely about how much you spend or how big it is, it's all about the fact that you were willing to do so.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
lol to fake diamonds. It's like a fiero replica. Yeah, it might actually be nice, and hell, you might fool quite a few people...but it's still a fake, no matter how much you want to believe. to me, diamonds are rarely about how much you spend or how big it is, it's all about the fact that you were willing to do so.
If there were any doubts before, you are clearly not a woman.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I'm with Joker on this one.... And to clarify if you aren't sure Sandwich. Synthetic is NOT fake. cubic zirconium and all the other crap... yeah fake. but these diamonds are actually diamonds made the same way natural diamonds are (graphite + lots of pressure and heat), they are just done in a lab instead of murdering children for one. my wife demanded that her rock be a synthetic one. after that I knew she was a winner. :D :thumb:

uzziboy

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
orange county ca
Good luck my friend, I've been with the wife for 23 years. I gave her this tiny real diamond for our engagment, and she just traded up this year lol.

As for the asking part, Here's how ours went. Mind you we were looking at something weddingly and I still hadn't asked her.

Her: Don't you want to get married?
Me: OK, will you marry me?

End of story, thats how dense I was. But still together and love her more everyday

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm with Joker on this one.... And to clarify if you aren't sure Sandwich. Synthetic is NOT fake. cubic zirconium and all the other crap... yeah fake. but these diamonds are actually diamonds made the same way natural diamonds are (graphite + lots of pressure and heat), they are just done in a lab instead of murdering children for one. my wife demanded that her rock be a synthetic one. after that I knew she was a winner. :D :thumb:
That. All a diamond is, is compressed Carbon.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My chick is super cool, a big part of why I love being with her. She is someone that even 20 or 30 years from now, I don't think she would want to trade up. She would rather wear the ring that I gave her, just because that's the one that I gave her. I didn't spend a fortune, but I didn't cheap out either. I bought what I could afford and if she wouldn't be happy with that, then she wouldn't be the girl for me. I also wouldn't be proposing if I wasn't 100% sure it would last a lifetime. She is the first girl I have had zero red flags about, my family and friends love her and she embraces all my quirks.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Of course it is. Still, I couldn't do it if I knew there was "history".
So lying and saying it was my grandmothers would make you feel better even though there is history there?

After what I paid for that, I would be more than happy to buy off of craigslist. If I was giving it to a girl that cared that much that someone else had it on their finger, I wouldn't be giving her one on the first place.

Hell, this one might go to the next girl but I would rather use the money now to pay off bills.

Would you be wierded out/disgusted that you girl got you a used bike or used helmet because there is history there?

It is a rock out of the ground that someone polished and someone wore for a brief period of time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As sad as it is to say this, from watching people I interact with, the larger the ring the more likely it will end in divorce.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So lying and saying it was my grandmothers would make you feel better even though there is history there?

After what I paid for that, I would be more than happy to buy off of craigslist. If I was giving it to a girl that cared that much that someone else had it on their finger, I wouldn't be giving her one on the first place.

Hell, this one might go to the next girl but I would rather use the money now to pay off bills.

Would you be wierded out/disgusted that you girl got you a used bike or used helmet because there is history there?

It is a rock out of the ground that someone polished and someone wore for a brief period of time.
No, what I'm saying is, I think people who are looking to buy a ring for "that special someone" might be a little put off by the thought of buying a ring that's been "returned". People are funny about things like that. I mean think about all the superstition surrounding a wedding. Not seeing the bride in the dress before the ceremony, some thing old, borrowed, blue yada yada. I think you might be eliminating prospective buyers by attaching something negative to the ring. Thats all.

And you should never buy a used helmet. :nope: Or a wetsuit.

How about a history of murder in Africa? I'll take a lab any day.
Please, do you really think the average American gives a fvck what happens in Africa?

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No, what I'm saying is, I think people who are looking to buy a ring for "that special someone" might be a little put off by the thought of buying a ring that's been "returned". People are funny about things like that. I mean think about all the superstition surrounding a wedding. Not seeing the bride in the dress before the ceremony, some thing old, borrowed, blue yada yada. I think you might be eliminating prospective buyers by attaching something negative to the ring. Thats all.

And you should never buy a used helmet. :nope: Or a wetsuit.

Please, do you really think the average American gives a fvck what happens in Africa?
1) People (notably Americans) are stupid.
2) Wedding superstition means nothing. If you wedding fails if you see the bride, you had underlying issues
3) Do you have any idea how many stones are 'harvested' by jewelers?
4) Of course we do, look at how we are helping Libya right now.:shocked:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
1) People (notably Americans) are stupid.
2) Wedding superstition means nothing. If you wedding fails if you see the bride, you had underlying issues
3) Do you have any idea how many stones are 'harvested' by jewelers?
4) Of course we do, look at how we are helping Libya right now.:shocked:
#1. I don't disagree.
#2. Superstition means nothing? How many churches are in a ten mile radius of your home?
#3. No, and I'm not sure its relevant. If the woman knows she's getting a synthetic and is cool with that, than by all means :thumb:
#4, Has been discussed at some length in PAWN.

My point is I think Rufus might be denying himself a sale by openly admitting he's selling the ring because things didn't work out, whatever the reason.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My point is I think Rufus might be denying himself a sale by openly admitting he's selling the ring because things didn't work out, whatever the reason.
Just to humor this and to stop my horrible derail of OP's happy thread, I will make another post on CL with no info about previous "owner" and see if that gets any bites. :D

We'll see!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
#2. Superstition means nothing? How many churches are in a ten mile radius of your home?
2: No idea. But there are a lot of old people, so I'd assume more than a few.
That: Why not just drop it into a safe deposit box? My Dad did that years ago and ended up re-mounting the stone as a necklace for my step-mom. She didn't care and loves the necklace.