Quantcast

Prototype 2009 DHR

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think that's just another exaggeration to add to the many already in this thread... I'd wait for someone to actually measure up the bike before I went that far. Just from the pic, to me the HA looks steeper and the BB looks higher - but like I said, wait until someone measures it.

For interests sake, my sunday was 64.9* and 13.65" respectively (boxxer/2.5 minions).
Lighter weight is nice to have for me but not a must. I have one of the first US Sunday Factory frame kits from 2005 its still going strong but who knows for how long. So if Turner brings out a bike very close to what I have where I can just move my parts to I would be happy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My '06 Sunday was solid out of the box, no upgrade required. Good work - you just perpetuated another exagerated story not unlike the one about Turner that you were attempting to dispel. :clapping:
Besides, Ska Todd was helping take care of people who had issues with their Sundays - you calling him out? :plthumbsdown:
Do some homework before you post, buddy. Your '06 frame wasn't the first Iron Horse bike ever created.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
One small carbon fiber fender/mudguard for the rear shock and linkage please. Seriously, do it...do it.
Agree, that would really finish it off nicley, as well as being vey functional it would look cool too!

Aso agree weights not an issue for me with a Turner, if the frame can stand up to what the 08s dished out, then its all gravy :cheers:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lighter weight is nice to have for me but not a must. I have one of the first US Sunday Factory frame kits from 2005 its still going strong but who knows for how long. So if Turner brings out a bike very close to what I have where I can just move my parts to I would be happy.
Based on turners of the past and DT actually mentioning that most of the characteristic turner traits (progressive rate curve mostly) were something he wanted to carry over, I'd bet this frame would be different enough from the sundays that you probably shouldn't assume they'll be very similar feeling bikes.

Who knows though.

I just know I dying to try one out.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Do some homework before you post, buddy. Your '06 frame wasn't the first Iron Horse bike ever created.
You said it took years for IH to fix issues. I had a few friends with '05's, and they got fixed before I got mine, which would mean then that it didn't actually take "years" as you said.

I also had an '05 7 Point that had similar pivot issues, and it got fixed quickly by IH CS. But then it's not cool to say nice things about IH, so you'd probably be happier if I kept that to myself, too, huh?

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You said it took years for IH to fix issues. I had a few friends with '05's, and they got fixed before I got mine, which would mean then that it didn't actually take "years" as you said.

I also had an '05 7 Point that had similar pivot issues, and it got fixed quickly by IH CS. But then it's not cool to say nice things about IH, so you'd probably be happier if I kept that to myself, too, huh?
Nevermind that the 'fix' was sold as an upgrade that cost $500...

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A

well had you said this 5-6 months ago before everyone knew DW and sam were leaving IH then it would have been ok.... lol

but really i didnt know there were that many issues with the sunday, im happy i went with my 05 dhr since those were the 2 i was looking at. i like the new frame and think that the two daves know there product is read and will fix any issues with it before they become an issue. i cant wait to get more info like how its rides and such when its ready. however i dont think my 05 will be going anywhere for a while.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i wasn't implying that the bike will have problems, to the contrary i'm assuming it will be mint. a lot of the sunday problems had to do with hardware and overseas manufacturing issues, the frames themselves have proven to be pretty much bomb proof. Weagle has a reputation for getting it right the first time (or making sure everything is up to spec before there is a 'first time'), i doubt there will be issues especially after what was learned from refining the sunday.

My point was that they are really cutting it super close to have them ready for the start of the '09 season. it's already the most hyped bike of the year and there has yet to be a rideable prototype. i bet the demand is going to be huge and there's a big chance some people who sold their frames to get this one might be waiting longer than they planned. DW and DT have created a pretty tight timeline for themselves, that's all; no more no less.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Based on turners of the past and DT actually mentioning that most of the characteristic turner traits (progressive rate curve mostly) were something he wanted to carry over, I'd bet this frame would be different enough from the sundays that you probably shouldn't assume they'll be very similar feeling bikes.

Who knows though.

I just know I dying to try one out.
I don't think the progressive curve will change the riding characteristics. I think Dave mentioned this was something the Sunday also would have benefited from in stead of relaying on the shock as much as its necessary on the Sunday where you have to run the bottom out knob all the way in. Plus after reading the DW link home page I understand it so that the design has very specific traits. I however should get the new Evil DH bike so I can keep riding my 2005 Evil jersey without Jeremy making fun of me.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

You don't even know what I'm talking about, do you? Early generation IH's (~'00-'04 SGS frames, early Sundays) were notorious for linkages/pivots that constantly came loose and/or developed play. A couple years later, e.13 came out with an SGS linkage upgrade kit to solve this problem.

I'm not talking about a single case of IH warranty/CS. I'm talking about a design problem in ALL frames that was addressed later on. Their CS could be awesome, I don't know, but that's not what I'm talking about, nor was CS of either Turner or IH ever questioned. We're talking about debugging frames before bringing them to production, something Lee may think Turner might be cutting close (or so that's how I interpreted it). Likewise, I'm sure if IH did more pre-production testing, I'm sure they would have discovered their linkage was sh1t in their older SGS frames.

GAWD.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
i wasn't implying that the bike will have problems, to the contrary i'm assuming it will be mint. a lot of the sunday problems had to do with hardware and overseas manufacturing issues, the frames themselves have proven to be pretty much bomb proof. Weagle has a reputation for getting it right the first time (or making sure everything is up to spec before there is a 'first time'), i doubt there will be issues especially after what was learned from refining the sunday.
Exactly.
Which is why everybody that knows both of those Daves' work is really excited about the bike. I know it must have drove Weagle crazy to have things like hardware problems that were out of his control on practically a perfect dh bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Exactly.
Which is why everybody that knows both of those Daves' work is really excited about the bike. I know it must have drove Weagle crazy to have things like hardware problems that were out of his control on practically a perfect dh bike.
Not just hardware problems (but there were some), but design problems too. Huge (long) bolts that allowed lots of leverage to be imposed by the shock and rockers. Evidently DW designed the later Sundays from the "ground up", rather than just designing the kinematics and less-than-the-complete bike.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
You don't even know what I'm talking about, do you? Early generation IH's (~'00-'04 SGS frames, early Sundays) were notorious for linkages/pivots that constantly came loose and/or developed play. A couple years later, e.13 came out with an SGS linkage upgrade kit to solve this problem.

I'm not talking about a single case of IH warranty/CS. I'm talking about a design problem in ALL frames that was addressed later on. Their CS could be awesome, I don't know, but that's not what I'm talking about, nor was CS of either Turner or IH ever questioned. We're talking about debugging frames before bringing them to production, something Lee may think Turner might be cutting close (or so that's how I interpreted it). Likewise, I'm sure if IH did more pre-production testing, I'm sure they would have discovered their linkage was sh1t in their older SGS frames.

GAWD.
I know what you're referring to, but sounds like you don't know wtf you're talking about. Take some time, read through the Sunday tuning sticky at the top of the page if you really want to have a thorough understanding of issues w/ Sunday pivots. If not, you can pretend you know what the issues were and that you are teh smartest. Yay you! :banana:

A quick quote from DW:
As far as I know there is no Iron Horse part number for the 2005 shock reducers because these parts are sourced from Progressive Suspension. The 8mm reducers should have an 8.00mm hole. They are 23mm wide in 05 and 06. That's what I can lend.

Dave

To summarize, the production pivot hardware was outsourced, and Progressive farked up the specs. It wasn't a design problem, it was a supplier issue - unlike the SGS. Also, the bolt heads were a little soft and small, so if you weren't careful, you'd strip the head before you reached proper torque. Bikes w/ the correct spec'd hardware, tightened to proper torque didn't bend pins or have slop. It was a first year issue that was quickly remedied (for free) for everyone I know. And in case you weren't paying attention, Sundays were in preproduction testing for quite some time...

Last edited: