Quantcast

Public service announcement from Marzocchi USA

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by crash13
well as long as marzocchi keeps making a good fork i'll keep buying buying them. so far i haven't found a fork that works as well and is as reliable as marzocchi. so keep up the good work guys. and as for bryson, i'm not going to make a judgement about someone over some comment made on the internet.
I was a bit angered by the letter. But my shiver kicks ass:D , No i mean it kicks serious ass. It's not light:eek: , or the siffest fork. but it has survived things that would have broken a boxxer or (insert fork here). Bryson was heated, RM got heated:angry: . It's done, no law suit nobody got hurt(in reality it makes me want a 66 more). Oh well if they keep making the product i'll probably keep spending that $$$:D

Originally posted by Shortbus
I was honestly TORN in my descision between a new 360 modena and the new thunderbird. I resisted the hype and went with the thunderbird.

:monkey:

Will a 3.0 tire fit my thunderbird if I have red brake calipers and my soft top is black?

:p
wow missed this gem of intelectual spasm for ...two months now

you are the reason why i hate the internet. making sense don;t always hurt, and you need to g oto bed before mommy comes for a bed check.

you couldn't picked a worse example, BTW, if you knew anything about cars.

i love my shiver

Originally posted by ZAW
Alright, i AM a teenager, a freshman in highschool. I would just like to say that I, again a freshman in highschool, was schocked at the tone of the letter sent to RM. I was shocked that this letter came from the VP of a company i know well (have a dj1) and respect (and now respect quite abit less). That is all.
once again junior, or shall i say freshmeat....i mean freshman, read the WHOLE thread before you speak

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Originally posted by ZAW
Alright, i AM a teenager, a freshman in highschool. I would just like to say that I, again a freshman in highschool, was schocked at the tone of the letter sent to RM. I was shocked that this letter came from the VP of a company i know well (have a dj1) and respect (and now respect quite abit less). That is all.
Is there something wrong with protecting a product that is not quite ready yet for production?

I hope there isn't, it sucks that it had to go this far, but who ever had the idea of putting a prototype fork that is not ready to be revealed on display was not too bright.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
It's not fair to take Bryson to task for this, he's doing his job, what he gets paid to do. It's also ok and understandable for him to be pissed off about it, for the very reason he listed.
He's allowed to be pissed at RM, because RM is a commercial site.
It has paid ads, and therefore the content needs to be monitored professionally. I wouldn't want the job of checking every photo or thread, but fundamentally if it's on the site, it's the administation's responsability.

yes but there are two sides to every coin. if he was at a public booth with people walking around you could assume that someone would have a camera taking pics b/c of the sure excitment of the new products. i know that there are some bugs to work out and that the products arent perfect but you should think that someone is going to take pics of them if there in a public place. IF I READ THE E-MAIL WRONG AND THEY WERENT IN A PUBLIC AREA THEN I TAKE BACK THAT WHOLE SPEAL.

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
it wasn't a public venue. the taipei show is NOT open to the public and in no way should be equated with the Interbike show that is open to press and other news reporting agencies.

and yes, i still think that Bryson's wording was over-the-top, but fundamentally, not wrong.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh i say dont buy marz stuff anyways, ive snapped 2 of their forks, should had learned with the first one they suck. seems like Bryson does the same oh well

dhrider said:
eh i say dont buy marz stuff anyways, ive snapped 2 of their forks, should had learned with the first one they suck. seems like Bryson does the same oh well
that's original.......never heard that type of rant without/ details, wow, simply amazing. I'm glad you don't buy Zocchis no more, i don't want to ride the same fork as people like you.

loyal Marzocchi owners would understand what i mean

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
ok i apologize for the short statement sorry didn't realize people where such stick ups for details
the first fork i snapped doing a 10' drop off of north shore, it was a marz 2001 m3 bomber, but heard a snap aftet i landed it, and had notice that i cracked the arc. and it completely broke by the time i had gotten home that day.

the second one broke partly on my fault i cased a 15' gap and slammed the front wheel headon into the ground, completely broke the right sanction.
if u are still stuck up for more detail i can get u photos

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dhrider said:
ok i apologize for the short statement sorry didn't realize people where such stick ups for details
the first fork i snapped doing a 10' drop off of north shore, it was a marz 2001 m3 bomber, but heard a snap aftet i landed it, and had notice that i cracked the arc. and it completely broke by the time i had gotten home that day.

the second one broke partly on my fault i cased a 15' gap and slammed the front wheel headon into the ground, completely broke the right sanction.
10' drops and 15' gaps on single crowns :rolleyes:

I'll never forget the time I skidded on ice in my Pathfinder and crashed through a chain link fence. The paint job was so s*ty that it scratched. Don't buy Nissan.
Then my windshield was chipped by a rock when I was driving 80mph. Their glass obviously sucks too.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh oh well all taken care of now im riding a Risse Champ, thirple crown, with 7' travel on a hardtail. so its all good and haven't had a problem with the fork at all, other then it does what its meant to with out snapping on me.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
A guy at my shop had a 7" Risse fork on a hardtail...he went on and on all day about how great it was even though we told him it was not intended for that...well whaddya know, one day on Tunnel, his head tube snaps clean off. He escaped serious injury but had to walk over 4 miles home and had no warranty on the frame.

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
yeah i had the same issue my frame being a trek bruiser 2, the max travel for it supposed to be 100mm or roughtly 3 inches, but ive got the clamps on my fork adjusted to set the head tube angle at 2 degrees off of what it was with the stock z3 on there, and have been riding with the champ on my bike for 7 months and havent had a problem yet

dhrider said:

so being reasonable to what you demand out of your equipment is called "stuck up'? you sound more normal as we speak.....you honestly thought any other 4 inch fork avaiable for under 300 bucks would survive that kind of abuse?

oh yeah, "the max travel for it supposed to be 100mm or roughtly 3 inches"

in case you misread the user's manual, like you did with both of your marzocchis, 100 mm is roughly 4 inches.

Big_B

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Sacramento
Wow.

I just read the whole thread, and I'm tired now, so I'll make this breif.

While I do not work in the industry or have a sickass 7"dh Freak/quadcrown/wtfbbq mountain bike, I have to agree with whoever said that the companies attitude should be taken into account when buying their products. I'll tell you that I will probably never buy a Marz product now, because aparrently the people in charge are real asses.
I do work in an industry with litigation support, and if one of my clients fired off an email like that, I would expect nothing productive to come of it.

And some folks definitely still do not understand the information capabilities of the internet. If you have something you don't want people seeing, you better make damn sure nothing digital comes anywhere near it...

/$0.02

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
oh ok my mistake the stock fork that was on the bruiser when i got it was 80mm (witch is 3 inches) or somewhere about that area. and i was roughtly guessing on the 100mm=3in dont do well with conversions to a science.

oh u didn't have to worry about me misreading the owners manual cause honestly i never really read them at all.

but it seem all my forks have a thing for lasting me 6 months and then sh*ting and dying, so with all of this my risse will probably blow out infront of me next time i ride

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
Bryson Martin sure dosn't seem to be a professional person. Everyone's raised points about this but I have on to add. If the Taipei show isn't public and they don't want pictures floating around, then why don't they stop people from taking pictures OR not even allow cameras to the event? It's his fault the pictures got out, what is someone with those pictures supposed to do? Sit there and oggle over new stuff? Probably not, he'll want to tell everyone what's in store. Also, if he dosn't want stuff going out abut the 2005 line, then why dosn't he wait till it's actually near 2005 before they show it off. Already, there's been "catalogue" pictures released of the new Boxxers and the "Stance" forks from Manitou and neither have complained, makes you think maybe Marzocchi's "success" has gone to their heads (although the use of Marzocchi forks from my perspective is definately going down). But here's something some of you might find amusing, it's a letter written to MBA by Bryson Martin trashing the Sherman and saying Manitou has no credibility...

"Your comments on the OnePointFive (What's New From Manitou,MBA June 2002) don't address the proper issues, especially concerning a company that has no credibility in the freeride market. I remember a time when Manitou said that producing a four-inch-travel single crown wasn't possible. Now they want to define a new standard in freeriding with the so-called OnePointFive standard? Marzocchi's long travel single-crown Bombers defined freeriding as it's known today; Manitou has focused on light-weight cross-county parts. Go figure. It all comes down to costs relative to benefits, not specifically consumer demand. I would certainly feel that the cost of making a manufacturing shift to OnePointFive would cost more relative to the benefits. Since we designed are so-called Freeride steer-tube, we have had no issues with breakage. Since Marzocchi owns the market in extreme freeride areas like BC, Canada, we have credibility to deliver preformace-oriented designs. First Manitou should make a fork that will handle the the extremes of freeriding, then they can try to introduce a new standard. I'm surprised by the fact that you guys hand a company with absolutely no market credibility in freeriding the option to define it. You guys need to spend more time riding in BC than Southern California.
Bryson Martin
Marzocchi"

:mumble:

Mar 10, 2004
spookymilk said:
But here's something some of you might find amusing, it's a letter written to MBA by Bryson Martin trashing the Sherman and saying Manitou has no credibility...
:mumble:

well, mister, if i remembered correctly, the correct context of this letter was:
the most credible fork that manitou produced was the x-vert series.

now, the x-vert carbon was a good fork, but its maintainence intensiveness was not what most of the riders had in mind as a freeride fork, i.e., ride then go get food, not ride-then-grease-and-oil-seals-with-a-grease-gun.

the x-vert dc was a five inch fork that worked decent, except it was flexy and also had the maintaince need.

the x-vert super and other x-verts were of the same nature. not what i would call forks for the real punishments that the canadians and rocky mountain riders were dishing out.

now there were also forks like the millenia and the x-vert super nova, but i wouldn't buy one because they costed more than an over hyped titanium bolt kit for a humvee.

just wanted to put things in perspective

:rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
lenningradoper said:
well, mister, if i remembered correctly, the correct context of this letter was:
the most credible fork that manitou produced was the x-vert series.

now, the x-vert carbon was a good fork, but its maintainence intensiveness was not what most of the riders had in mind as a freeride fork, i.e., ride then go get food, not ride-then-grease-and-oil-seals-with-a-grease-gun.

the x-vert dc was a five inch fork that worked decent, except it was flexy and also had the maintaince need.

the x-vert super and other x-verts were of the same nature. not what i would call forks for the real punishments that the canadians and rocky mountain riders were dishing out.

now there were also forks like the millenia and the x-vert super nova, but i wouldn't buy one because they costed more than an over hyped titanium bolt kit for a humvee.

just wanted to put things in perspective

:rolleyes:
......and?

Putting things into perspective.....

Bryson was making a "point" :rolleyes: that Manitou has no right to try and steer a market they were not in. *shakes head* They had no street credit according to Big Boy Bryson....so they have no idea what they are talking about....they couldn't possibly compete.

Well lets see.....I guess Manitou has done alright since then by entering the freeride market with their line of forks designed for it, right? I guess a fork line designed before there was a market for "Freeriding" as we know it today, like the Xvert stuff, would be lacking. I am AMAZED Manitou was able to produce forks that could even compete with the mighty Marz freeride militia......they simply had no street credit

I guess Mr Bryson had it wrong, once again.

While he has a right to his own opinion....but when on the clock for Marz he also speaks for the company. That is where I feal Bryson stuck his foot in his mouth...with the original email to RM and the comment in the MBA article. He is passionate about MTB and that is great...but he needs to learn to reign back that big mouth of his as it only shines poorly over his company. (that is a nice way of saying he should keeps his mouth shut in public speaking matters....or at least have an objective employee go over any letters/emails he sends out, as he shows no ability to police himself.)

Bryson's MBA article fiasco was foolish....only showed poorly on him and Marz, and has come back to bite him in the hiney. Especially after sending out threatening emails to RM...yes the market does have memories and this will be tucked away in customers minds next time they go to the shops. I like recent Marz products (only owned a 1998 Z-1 though) I feal they did a bang up job with the 888 and Super T. I think Bryson could benefit from a public relations course from a local college to maybe get him thinking about how and what he says reflects on his company.

Marz isn't the only game in town....keep up the good product developement and muzzle Bryson and I am sure you guys are going to do fine. ;)

Jun 20, 2004
ok people i just spent an hour with this thread sitting hee this morning waiting for someone to come buy some bike stuff from me and i realize that they are all out racing or riding today since its saturday , so please all of you go join them :)

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh your just hopping we go out and breack some of that marz... **** and then have to come to u to place it, lol i moved on marz... out, risse in.

dhrider said:
eh your just hopping we go out and breack some of that marz... **** and then have to come to u to place it, lol i moved on marz... out, risse in.

you mean replacing your 4 inch sc's, after using it like a big foot, with 7-8 inch travel dc's? then why don't you go and try to break a SHiver DC or a Monster T before you talk ****, Mr Tough Guy? Would i ever take a fork built like a psylo for 15 ft drops? no, i'm smarter than that, but you weren't. Now you just go around and brag to people that you broke A marzocchi. you sure are intelligent alright.
People like you make me feel better about myself. Here, Why don't you take a BMW M3 and then take it off road for a while, then complain to BMW that you broke the axle because you kept hitting rocks with the differential???? :mumble:

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
eh i really wouldn't call it bragging to much, lol maybe teaching, learn from me what is meant to do what. but hey tell ya the truth the bmw idea doesn't sounds bad, maybe after i find a way to bust my trooper up to peices i'll take ya up on that offer, but honestly no thanks. and i only give points to the shivers souly because its a inverted fork, and ive gotten much better proformance out of inverted then i ever did with any standard setup fork, and thats not just talking about my experinces from my old marz fork.

chafenator

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
I believe Marzocchi and alot of other Mountain bike merchandise is over priced. The above statement sounds like one of a, money hungry exec. who is completely out of touch with his clientele. I would also like to take the time to say that a brand new dirt bike cost $5500 and so do some of our mtb can someone shed some light on this for me?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
nicklin said:
you mean replacing your 4 inch sc's, after using it like a big foot, with 7-8 inch travel dc's? then why don't you go and try to break a SHiver DC or a Monster T before you talk ****, Mr Tough Guy? Would i ever take a fork built like a psylo for 15 ft drops? no, i'm smarter than that, but you weren't. Now you just go around and brag to people that you broke A marzocchi. you sure are intelligent alright.
People like you make me feel better about myself. Here, Why don't you take a BMW M3 and then take it off road for a while, then complain to BMW that you broke the axle because you kept hitting rocks with the differential???? :mumble:

what the hell does a bmw have to do with anything? the fork that was broken was meant for off road use. think before your freak out on somebody. :stosh:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
chafenator said:
I believe Marzocchi and alot of other Mountain bike merchandise is over priced. The above statement sounds like one of a, money hungry exec. who is completely out of touch with his clientele. I would also like to take the time to say that a brand new dirt bike cost $5500 and so do some of our mtb can someone shed some light on this for me?
economies of scale

chi-chi brand names

a $5,000 MTB is like a $20,000 motorcycle (in teh grand scheme of things)

We are willing to pay higher prices (well not of us)

Limited runs cost a LOT more than mass runs (see economies of scale)

chicodude01 said:

what the hell does a bmw have to do with anything? the fork that was broken was meant for off road use. think before your freak out on somebody. :stosh:

dude:
the BMW was used as an analogy to over-demandingly using a 4 inch sc fork for a job now deemed necessay with a risse 8" fork. If you can't see the comparison then maybe you dozed off one too many day in school. "off road" is very, very different from "massive casing on hucks". i thought about it before i "freaked out" by pointing out the obvious flaw in this gentleman's argument for going around and "educating' people about how a risse 8-incher is much stronger than the marz z3 4 incheer, therefore all marzocchi is all sh*t.

did you actually read the whole thread? read before you decide that people are freaking out for no reason.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
you are a very angry person

your analogy was a bit off to me, but repacks was spot on.

for the record
i have broken three marz forks. Super t, dirt jumper 1 and an exr comp. while i was pissed of that i broke them,i was using them for their intended uses, except the exr. i will say they do have a kickass exchange program.:thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
trailheadcycles said:
ok people i just spent an hour with this thread sitting hee this morning waiting for someone to come buy some bike stuff from me and i realize that they are all out racing or riding today since its saturday , so please all of you go join them :)
Lars?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
<snip>

Buy what you want. Next year we might only sell 999,999 forks. If you coud see through this bunk post you might be the lucky guy that has the alarm go off annoucing you as the 1,000,000 owner of a Marzocchi suspension system. You could have had the fruit cake!
Cheers and more beers...I'm not looking for trouble. Just amazed on how long and drawn out ths discussion has become.

Now back to it gizmos!!!
A million forks??? :rofl: I just realized how funny this thread really got.