Quantcast

Push Dhx?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There has been some info on this and there is a long thread from somebody who had his DHX Pushed for his Sunday but I would love to hear from more people too as I think my DHX needs a tune up before the season starts.

My only complaint has been the buttom out is harsh due to the small bumper and then some strang buttom out on smallish hits/drops like its blows through its travel like there is no spring. All other conditions and big hits no problem.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ sounds to me like you have that thing tuned incorrectly, or it is seriously messed up. How many turns in is your bottom out resistance and how much air are you running in the chamber?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
The difference is very noticeable, if you are sensitive to shock performance. "pushing" your dhx will eliminate the spiking that occurs on high speed, chattery terrain. The propedal and boost systems on the stock dhx do interact, regardless of what fox claims; that creates the spiking problem. The bottom out bumper is tailored for your riding weight and style. If you are interested in more info, and you're not offended by looking at mtbr.com, do a search under pushed dhx in the turner forum there.
Most of the negative opinions you may hear from others about the pushed dhx are from folks who never have spent any time on one, or who claim to but haven't, including an over-zealous moderator at this website.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its a Sunday and its Sunday tuned not after market purchase. Max bottom out, 100-110 psi, no propedal and rebound depending on track.

As an example if I just hit the small step up coming out of Dirt Merchant into A-line intesection it would blow through the travel if I hit the step up full speed. Same think at Diablo where on the US Open course you go down over a big rock and after that there is a little drop maybe 1-2 feet you hit with high speed and it bottoms out. I have only been able to avoid this with more gentle approach but who wants to be gentle when you ride DH :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Most of the negative opinions you may hear from others about the pushed dhx are from folks who never have spent any time on one, or who claim to but haven't, including an over-zealous moderator at this website.
and the glowing reports come from people affiliated with PUSH. . . . blah, blah, blah. same story different day.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ . . . .

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Its a Sunday and its Sunday tuned not after market purchase. Max bottom out, 100-110 psi, no propedal and rebound depending on track.

As an example if I just hit the small step up coming out of Dirt Merchant into A-line intesection it would blow through the travel if I hit the step up full speed. Same think at Diablo where on the US Open course you go down over a big rock and after that there is a little drop maybe 1-2 feet you hit with high speed and it bottoms out. I have only been able to avoid this with more gentle approach but who wants to be gentle when you ride DH
sounds fishy to me...I'm on a different bike (vpfree) w/ an aftermarket dhx5, but running the same settings as you and I have to really screw the pooch to hit bottom and even then its not harsh. Eg: got a little excited and totally overcooked the drop off the container boxes up on garb, missed the tranny completely...I'm sure I bottomed, but it was controlled, no clank or anything nasty. I suspect you're right about needing a quick tune up before next season.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The difference is very noticeable, if you are sensitive to shock performance. "pushing" your dhx will eliminate the spiking that occurs on high speed, chattery terrain. The propedal and boost systems on the stock dhx do interact, regardless of what fox claims; that creates the spiking problem.
I call BS.
I definitely can't notice any spiking in the stock DHX, and if anything, at minimum pressure and propedal they are a very lightly damped shock. Essentially at those settings, the DHX is just an RC or similar non-platform shock, except with position sensitivity - ie ramps up and doesn't bottom out as easily.

Sounds like you have been bitten hard by the placebo effect, or had a pretty messed up stock shock. Either way, I don't think that's any need to tell DHX owners that their fine shock has spiking issues.

I'm probably going to get jumped on by the entire push fanboy club for saying this too - but it seems to be that the push upgrade (which i'm sure feels as nice as you all say it does) just takes away external tunability from the shock, that is quite beneficial in the right hands. Sometimes you do need a different tune for different courses, and push just seems to take that away from you as well as a wad of cash.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
I forgot to mention that general lee was particularly critical of my comments last time I responded to a similar question. My quote above stands. I just don't know why ignorant haters feel so strongly about their causes. Enjoy your shock, I enjoy mine. Have a nice day ladies.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I cant complain about mine. I got my DHX back a few weeks ago while I had a stock one on the bike for the several weeks it was out. I noticed a huge amount of difference in the adjustability. It seemed it was more sensitive to adjustments. the pro pedal was more effective after the push as well. I thought it was worth the money.
I sent my other DHX in the day after I got my first one back.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
As an example if I just hit the small step up coming out of Dirt Merchant into A-line intesection it would blow through the travel if I hit the step up full speed.
I would bottom my Roco shock on my 7Point on that compression before the step up too. The shock set up seemed perfect everywhere else except that compression. Maybe the speed of compression was above any low speed damping, but below any high speed damping settings?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Yeah, you can hit that compression really fast and then just float up over the step up... the thing is that it's so fun that you just hit it faster and faster.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
There is a saying that suspension tuners seem to all agree on; " the best you know is the best you've ridden". If you haven't tried it, how would you know if it's good or not? This sort of thing occurs everyday at mtb websites, for example; a guy who is riding a Marz. Jr.T fork posts, complaining that the fork isn't all it's suppose to be. He's heard about this fork caled an 888, and he wonders if it's good, if it's worth upgrading too. He gets a couple responses that say heck yes, and then he gets a couple responses from guys who ride Jr. T's, and have ridden nothing else, who say; "what are you talking about? I ride a Jr.T, and it's great! The 888 is a waste of money, promoted by the same guys who allways post about it blah blah blah. What me and my bro's ride is the best there is, etc."
Sound similar? It's the same thing.
The best you know is the best you've ridden. Every year, suspension companies improve their products [most of them]. Why piss on the next improvement? Because you don't have it? You may not want it, or need it, but someone else might.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Arhhh give me a break you are the one who brought up haters.

Its a forum and there will always be people for and against. If the reader is not smart enough to know that so be it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Arhhh give me a break you are the one who brought up haters.

Its a forum and there will always be people for and against. If the reader is not smart enough to know that so be it.
Its an empty beer thing. They cherish sitting around all day and debating tiny changes in their suspension. Check out the Turner forum over there for verifiable proof.
Here we like to make fun of people like yourself for not being able to keep a helmet together. We are not better, just different.:rofl:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Here's one for those who have tried both. Which would you pick...

Option 1: Cane Creek Double Barrel
Option 2: Fox DHX 5 pushed

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have a pushed DHX on my "all mountain" bike. I like it, but I'm not convinced it would be a good thing on my downhill bike. The shock is very firm initially. It takes the edge off small bumps, but feels as though it doesn't really allow the wheel to track over them as well as I'd like from a downhill bike. On my AM bike, this is fine, as I'm typically not pushing the limits of grip in the corners, and I appreciate that it gives a much better pedalling shock. Also, the shock rides much higher in it's travel. Good on the AM bike, as it gives better clearance, and there's always a bit of extra travel in reserve for when it goes horribly wrong. Again, not so sure it'd be good on the DH bike as the BB sits higher, and doesn't encourage such aggresive cornering.

Just my $0.02, and as a disclaimer, I'm pretty sure Push do DH and AM specific tunes, of which I probably have the latter.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
I haven't tried both but do have a Pushed DHX on my Sunday and love it for 99% of the tracks and conditions I ride. Here is a review with my initial thoughts.

I find it to be very supple and smooth through the entire stroke. There is no spiking, which I did get with the stock DHX. I never felt like I got the full travel prior to the tune. I find I get a smoother stroke through the entire range which is equally matched in the rebound stroke. Adjustments work well and the quality of the work is excellent. The shock is much more "micro" adjustable. The platform feeling is gone and the bike really settles nicely into it's sag, something which compliments the Sunday nicely. My only complaints are that I can, at times, blow through the travel and that there is little info on tuning the shock. I don't feel the bottoming is a mistake on PUSH's part. I asked for a tune that was for DH with the odd drop, so with that being said I fully expect there to be compromises for freeriding. It's not metal on metal, the bumper does a superb job, but it is bottom and that can be harsh at times. That could also just be a Sunday thing as well. I wanted a DH tuned shock and that is exactly what I got. As for the tuning information, this shock woks very differently than most so tuning it can prove challenging without proper documentation I find. Again, not a big deal, I am very happy with the performance and I have been able to get a handle on the nuances of tuning this shock over time. I would still like more info but can live without it. i am sure more will come available as more riders get this service done.

I don't think PUSH offer the Factory Tune I had done but maybe the other tune is better in the end, who knows. I am very happy with mine and think anyone, regardless of suspension knowledge, will appreciate the performance gain.

Pce,

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think what is being missed in this thread is that no single untuned shock is going to work the same on every bike. Different suspension designs require different tunes to work optimally, and that is what Push does.

Big-Ted: Push should've asked what your riding style was before they started working on your shock. If you feel it's too platform-y, you can always send it back and get it revalved a little lighter. I don't think I've ever dealt with a company with better CS than Push. And I wouldn't worry about them making your dh bike into a xc rig, unless that's how you specify for them to tune it.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, that was kind of my point in the disclaimer. I bought the bike and shock secondhand, but the previous owner was pretty similar in weight to myself. The shock works great for the AM application for which it was intended, but a more specific tune would be needed for a DH bike in my opinion. Which is fine, 'cos by the sound of it, and as I suspected, Push offers just such a thing!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
There has been some info on this and there is a long thread from somebody who had his DHX Pushed for his Sunday but I would love to hear from more people too as I think my DHX needs a tune up before the season starts.

My only complaint has been the buttom out is harsh due to the small bumper and then some strang buttom out on smallish hits/drops like its blows through its travel like there is no spring. All other conditions and big hits no problem.
me and my mate had that same observation at a race with some drop too. on the hard hits the compression works really nicely, but on mid speed stuff it just blows through it travel. i guess this is what ppl were complaning the dhx lacking mid stroke compression.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you can't stay civil, don't post. Thread sanitized.

edit: as a side note, as I am sure you were talking about me - I have ridden one. I saw no difference. I still consider it a waste of money.

It's good to know though that you are aware of every single bike part I have ever ridden when you don't know me, and live a few thousands miles away! :thumb:

Feb 13, 2006
Yes, and then you continue vasting our time with lesssons about how to evaluate suspension.
Sadly, the real truth is that the best you know is the best you've ridden, and the analogy to Jr T vs 888 is right on the money. It's a lot like those people who say that Turners now are just overpriced Konas because the rear suspension looks the same. Strangely, after riding a Kona and a Turner with rear and front suspensions set up the same, it becomes pretty hard to see how someone could say they're the same thing. They ride nothing alike, other than the fact that both are MTBs.

MOD EDIT: Play nice.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Particle Bored No need to get personal and I just tried to get the discussion away from who hate who. Its seems like you don't know about the great riding with few hours of Brooklyn including Diablo Freeride Park, Plattekill, White Face. We also have good air ports that can take you to places like Whistler.

Back on topic: It seems like I am not the only one with the bottom out problems and what I was trying to find was out how a pushed DHX behaves where I have experience problems with the DHX.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Back on topic: It seems like I am not the only one with the bottom out problems and what I was trying to find was out how a pushed DHX behaves where I have experience problems with the DHX.
CBJ, one of the many things that are done to your dhx at PUSH is that they replace the bottom out bumper. If I recall correctly, there are allmost a dozen different "durometers" of bumper to choose from, based on your weight and riding style. Their bumper is not an afterthought, it is part of the system. It's meant to kick in earlier in the stroke than the stock bumper, and the material is progressive in it's compression. I used the word durometer liberally, because the bumper is not rubber, but a proprietary compound.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Interesting - that alone sounds like a good upgrade. I wonder if they sell this with the rebuild or only with the tuning system. I like Udi I like to have the stock adjustments on the DHX for differnet kinds of setup (freeride before the lifts open, normal East Coast DH and then Whistler/B.C. riding)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Interesting - that alone sounds like a good upgrade. I wonder if they sell this with the rebuild or only with the tuning system. I like Udi I like to have the stock adjustments on the DHX for differnet kinds of setup (freeride before the lifts open, normal East Coast DH and then Whistler/B.C. riding)

CBJ... see if you can get your hands on a stock 5th element bttom out bumper (not a swinger bumper though as thoser are too hard).
we used the 5th bumpers on dhx's last year and it made a world of difference (stock dhx bumper is too small and too hard).

if you have trouble getting one, using 2 dhx bumpers works pretty well too.

no shock disassembly required either... just use a lot of spit and it slides right on

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
So its can slide on without a problem - interesting. Wish the Swinger would work as I have a spare Swinger for my Sunday.
yeah... though big, the 5th bumpers are pretty soft/flexable. just turn the rebound dial in all the way... and maybe use some KY or astroglide

the swinger, while it looks similar, is very hard

adding a second fox bumper is real easy. since they are so small and thin you can pull hem righ on

not to be a hater, but having ridden 2 different pushed sundays (that felt like overdamped 5th elements) this might be the easiest way for you to go... if it fixes the small issue you have why pay extra

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
my bumper is bigger than your bumper . . . .

5th element bottom out bumper on my DHX. accidently not removed before i sold the bike:disgust:

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I'll throw out a general remark regarding my experience w/Push. I'd tend to think DHX Push is legit. A DHX comes stock and they are going to set it to rider and frame design vs generic.
If it is Similar to what they did on RCs the diffrence pre/post tune is not debateable IMO. (I've got identical RC shocks and have ridden them back to back several times following the Push thing).
Bottomline: I wouldn't be afraid to try it. Just hold off until service is needed.
* I eventually had my second RC done by a different tuning Co and it is as good as the Push version if not better*

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
oh yea, what bike do you ride? not that i think it makes a difference, coz my bike is a commencal and my mates is a sunday.

if i had the cash i would go for the upgrade for sure...

i wonder whether anyone has tried a mojo dhx?? not too sure about teory about slow rebound and dh bikes being the same as mx bike tho...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i wonder whether anyone has tried a mojo dhx?? not too sure about teory about slow rebound and dh bikes being the same as mx bike tho...
I'll be trying a mojo DHX in a few weeks hopefully. From what I understand they don't do much to it besides a fully custom tune (shims/valving etc). Fox can do much the same thing, but they don't do a fully custom one. They change stuff in sets going by riding type and weight, whereas mojo will do it on an individual rider basis. At least this is what I understand?