Quantcast

Push Dhx?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
oh yea, what bike do you ride? not that i think it makes a difference, coz my bike is a commencal and my mates is a sunday.

if i had the cash i would go for the upgrade for sure...

i wonder whether anyone has tried a mojo dhx?? not too sure about teory about slow rebound and dh bikes being the same as mx bike tho...
I ride a Sunday. 155lbs/72kg and 300 spring.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
If you can't stay civil, don't post. Thread sanitized.

edit: as a side note, as I am sure you were talking about me - I have ridden one. I saw no difference. I still consider it a waste of money.

It's good to know though that you are aware of every single bike part I have ever ridden when you don't know me, and live a few thousands miles away! :thumb:

I'm watching you F-Bomb!:pirate2:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I'll be trying a mojo DHX in a few weeks hopefully. From what I understand they don't do much to it besides a fully custom tune (shims/valving etc). Fox can do much the same thing, but they don't do a fully custom one. They change stuff in sets going by riding type and weight, whereas mojo will do it on an individual rider basis. At least this is what I understand?
that makes sence, but haven't heard about how the dude behind mojo (cant remeber his name right now) belives in slow rebound, and i mean really slow rebound... he also thinks that anyhting beside a single pivot is not needed for dh.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
that makes sence, but haven't heard about how the dude behind mojo (cant remeber his name right now) belives in slow rebound, and i mean really slow rebound... he also thinks that anyhting beside a single pivot is not needed for dh.
yes, the guy does have a rather single minded approach to suspension setup (very stiff and very slow is not for everyone)... and a strong opinion is an understantement

but they will make you whatever you want so who cares... is it better? maybe, maybe not.

at the end of the day you probably will not be going any faster on anything whether it be a stock 5th, mojo, push, rocco, dhx 3, etc

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Chris Porter is the guy behind mojo. I haven't really talked to him about much yet suspension wise, but surely will in the next few weeks now that the 3 orange teams have been combined into 1.

The secret behind DH isn'g bike designs, it's suspension tuning. Finding the right tune for each individual rider is key. I don't think any one tuning style will work for everyone. A guy like vouilloz and a guy like Kovarik need different tunes, end of story.

I will be keeping a close eye on Vouilloz to see what they do with his DHX.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
I ran a dhx for two seasons and loved it, I've spent a lot of time on a lot of diffferent shocks and can say hands down the dhx is the best shock $$ can buy IMO. Although I sold the dhx with my frame, I bought an R9 for a little more than I wanted to spend, so instead of putting out the $$ for a dhx I bought a vanilla rc from 02 and got it pushed. I can only describe it as feeling and performing just as awesome as my dhx had, so I dont think words would be able to describe the amazingness of a pushed dhx.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Chris Porter's the name you're lookin for. I'm with you on that one, and trust me - so are many others. There's no polite way to put this, that guy isn't too bright. :)

Running your rebound as slow as possible is just about wrong (for anyone, or anything) and there is no logical reason for combining compression and rebound into one adjuster either. Personally i'd far rather learn to tune my own DHX than let someone like him do it for me. It's a simple series of shimstacks - and IMO the shock caters to pretty much everyone out of the box anyway.

Regardless of my opinion on Push (first page - still stands), I think that they (along with TFTuned) have much more of a clue than mojo does.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Chris set up my 40RC2 for me at the Gouveia Maxxis Cup last year, and I can't complain about it one bit. His set up was perfect for the fast, rough course. Low speed compression all the way in -2 clicks, high speed all the way in -5 clicks, rebound all the way in -2 clicks. Feels great at speed. Sometimes on the really slow trails around here, I'll open up the high speed compression, but other than that, the fork feels great for my style. Conclusion: some of us are psyched on Mojo's style. But it's probably not for everyone.

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Chris set up my 40RC2 for me at the Gouveia Maxxis Cup last year, and I can't complain about it one bit. His set up was perfect for the fast, rough course. Low speed compression all the way in -2 clicks, high speed all the way in -5 clicks, rebound all the way in -2 clicks. Feels great at speed. Sometimes on the really slow trails around here, I'll open up the high speed compression, but other than that, the fork feels great for my style. Conclusion: some of us are psyched on Mojo's style. But it's probably not for everyone.

That's a lot of compression compared to what most guys ride I think. Very interesting that he chose to go that route. You don't find the fork harsh at all? What weight and spring are you running? Did he do anything else to it other than turn the dials?

Thanks,

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The cartridge is sealed, he didn't touch that. I have the soft Ti spring, and I weigh 160lbs or so. My fork feels surprisingly progressive, and works best when I go fast, as that's when I want it to work best. There's very little brake dive, and the fork does not dive into its travel on the fast stutter bumps like it did before he set it up.

That's right, it was harsh before he turned all the compression up super high. Chris said something to the effect that you can't and shouldn't tune suspension for slow speed stuff. There's no way your arms can compress the fork as fast as stutter bumps and braking bumps do. So set it up to work for those situations, and it'll feel funky when you go slow, but when you go slow your arms can absorb the impacts. His theories are definitely different, but they work for me.

Oh, and DHKid, my rear end liked to take off and slide out, I fixed that by getting a bigger frame, a longer stem and shortening the fork travel. 7" and 7.5" feel way better than the 8" did.

That's a lot of compression compared to what most guys ride I think. Very interesting that he chose to go that route. You don't find the fork harsh at all? What weight and spring are you running? Did he do anything else to it other than turn the dials?

Thanks,

p.s. sorry about the thread derail, this is just an example of how one man's set up can be way different than another's.