Quantcast

Quacking under pressure...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
About a month ago, I was riding in my usual spot (Stewart buffer zone), an area managed by the DEC, when a pickup truck drove down the fireroad carrying guns, dogs and a cage full of white ducks. We met a few riders on the trail who were disgusted with what was going on and explained that they stay away from that area. Apparently the ducks are set out, riled up and then set free to fly away. Shots are fired until the duck falls and the dog immediately fetches it, running back with a fesh duck between his teeth. Each dog is timed and more ducks are killed. When the day is over, the dead ducks are hidden behind a pond to decompose.

I called the DEC to inquire about this activity and to let them know that the hunters are scaring riders away. Today I found out from a forrester that the activity is completely legal and they have a permit to do this. They're not, however, supposed to leave the dead ducks around or fail to post signs warning nearby hikers and bikers of live ammunition. I'm not a PETA fanatic, but I happen to enjoy ducks and think this is a pretty rotten deal for them. Any thoughts/reactions? Even a good Dick Cheney reference will do to lift my spirits...

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
That is not what is going on. Loco posted a thread about duck feathers. It is either a chupacabra, or some beastiality freak. The shooting is a front.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is how you train dogs to be good duck dogs. Maybe they should use the meat, but I see nothing really wrong with it. Livestock is bred to be killed in one form or another. What diffrence does it make if its eaten or used as a tool?

It matters nothing to a duck which is already dead.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Certain breeds of ducks and geese are listed as nuisance animals in NY by the DEC. Over population from lack of predators is a bad thing. Hunters are doing you a service and paying huge bucks to do it. They can't do nearly enough to make a drop in the bucket because of regulation and a limited season. Dogs are a effective tool....

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
jdcamb said:
Certain breeds of ducks and geese are listed as nuisance animals in NY by the DEC. Over population from lack of predators is a bad thing. Hunters are doing you a service and paying huge bucks to do it. They can't do nearly enough to make a drop in the bucket because of regulation and a limited season. Dogs are a effective tool....
Hunters are doing a service by releasing a caged duck and then blowing it out of the sky? There's a difference if it's hunting season and they're actually using the carcass for something such as food, but this is nothing more than a bunch of bored rednecks blasting a terrorized caged animal out of the sky and leaving it dumped in a pile behind a tree.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
Hunters are doing a service by releasing a caged duck and then blowing it out of the sky? There's a difference if it's hunting season and they're actually using the carcass for something such as food, but this is nothing more than a bunch of bored rednecks blasting a terrorized caged animal out of the sky and leaving it dumped in a pile behind a tree.
Maybe you dont get how this works. When hunting season rolls around, having properly trained dogs will increase efficiency in dealing w/ shot ducks. Thereby making better use of the resource. Again livestock are raised to be killed.
I always find it funny when bleeding heart, environmentalist types protest the very things that allow nature to remain balanced. Nice.

EDIT: By balanced, I mean in the absence on natural predators, obviously.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If they purposely raised that animal for such use. Then so be it. That animal knows no difference. That is a simple fact.

If we can control the poputation of animal species through hunting and bring tourists to western NY then that is good. Fishing and hunting are big business here. Folks realize we got the goods and we are close to a lot of big metro areas. I say any tool that can faciltate a mutually beneficial situation the better. Sometimes it doesn't have to be on the gubmint. It can be directly on us.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
If they purposely raised that animal for such use. Then so be it. That animal knows no difference. That is a simple fact.

If we can control the poputation of animal species through hunting and bring tourists to western NY then that is good. Fishing and hunting are big business here. Folks realize we got the goods and we are close to a lot of big metro areas. I say any tool that can faciltate a mutually beneficial situation the better. Sometimes it doesn't have to be on the gubmint. It can be directly on us.
There's not a push to "bring tourism" to Stewart by promoting hunting in ares that are not posted as such, or by encouraging people to disobey the terms of their permits. These are locals that are doing this, not tourists, so it's a moot point (besides the fact that Stewart is not exactly in an area that's hurting for tourism).

Regardless, it's my turn to take a shot at this (pun intended). I'll forward this issue to a bunch of area animal rights groups and let them do their thing with it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
robdamanii said:
There's not a push to "bring tourism" to Stewart by promoting hunting in ares that are not posted as such, or by encouraging people to disobey the terms of their permits. These are locals that are doing this, not tourists, so it's a moot point (besides the fact that Stewart is not exactly in an area that's hurting for tourism).

Regardless, it's my turn to take a shot at this (pun intended). I'll forward this issue to a bunch of area animal rights groups and let them do their thing with it.
Kinda like pissing in the wind but... You go right ahead.
Post here about your generous contribution. I'll be looking forward to it.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
Kinda like pissing in the wind but... You go right ahead.
Post here about your generous contribution. I'll be looking forward to it.
Hey man, your view versus mine. It's one thing to raise an animal with the intent of eating it, but completely another to raise it to rot in a bush after you have fun "training" your dog. Nobody is benefiting from this.

*shrug*

Oh well, you're entitled to your opinion.

SkaredShtles said:
I guarantee those pinko commie enviro bahstids won't even *MENTION* the option of eating the ducks............ :rolleyes:
If they're going to eat them, then I really don't care if they do it. Leaving it to rot is ridiculous.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I smoke them with apple wood after I brine them in NY maple syrup and sea salt. My mom used to love them :love: The rest of the parts get added to our "sausages" :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
robdamanii said:
<snip>
If they're going to eat them, then I really don't care if they do it. Leaving it to rot is ridiculous.
Fundamentally what's the difference? The duck is dead and they spent the money (presumably) to raise it. You should recommend to them that they donate the dead ducks to a homeless shelter. They could even teach the homeless how to dress a duck. :rofl: :rofl:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Fundamentally what's the difference? The duck is dead and they spent the money (presumably) to raise it. You should recommend to them that they donate the dead ducks to a homeless shelter. They could even teach the homeless how to dress a duck. :rofl: :rofl:
Killing something for the sake of killing it is asanine.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
Wow. Did you even read the thread? They kill them because their dogs need to practice for ACTUAL WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT:clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
robdamanii said:
Go down to the local feed store and ask them how much duck mix they sell. Then ask them who they sell that mix too. Then tell them to stop making that $$ because you think it is assinine. I'll bet you'll be real popular after that.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
robdamanii said:
Some of this will provide food for turtles and other scavaging creatures that naturally exist in the recreation area.

I don't want to pick sides or get in any fights, but outdoor recreation is business to an area. You have to live w/ all different aspects. From cyclist to equestrians to sportsman to hikers. They are doing what they enjoy and it is helping manage the resource. Honestly, they need to be shooting those damn canada geese....the carp of the sky.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
Go down to the local feed store and ask them how much duck mix they sell. Then ask them who they sell that mix too. Then tell them to stop making that $$ because you think it is assinine. I'll bet you'll be real popular after that.
Ok, so I'll start raising dogs to sell to Asian restaurants. People still make money off the food and such, and the restaurants benefit from the cheap meat.

But hey, that's ok because that's what I'm raising them for. :rolleyes:

I'm going to guess there are a few rather pissed off people with that comment. What makes a dog different from a duck? I'd like to know.

splat said:
While fundementally I'm against it . you willhave a really tough time fighting this one ROb , for the Simple fact. how much do pay to ride there ? $ 0

they do pay ( in the form of Hunting license and permits ) , Money Talks!!!
I don't really expect much to be done with it, but at least I'll have tried to make a difference in some way or another. Better than sitting on my butt and doing nothing. There's something archaic about going to Agway, buying ducks that are advertised to go "on your pond in your back yard", raising them with the intent of killing them, and then taking joy in killing them and leaving them to rot. Maybe I'm a bleeding heart, maybe I'm a tree hugger, but damnit, it's still an animal just like a dog, cat, horse, etc.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Well if you don't know the difference between a dog and a duck. Well then I can't help you. Basically whatever dude.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
robdamanii said:
Ok, so I'll start raising dogs to sell to Asian restaurants. People still make money off the food and such, and the restaurants benefit from the cheap meat.

But hey, that's ok because that's what I'm raising them for. :rolleyes:

I'm going to guess there are a few rather pissed off people with that comment. What makes a dog different from a duck? I'd like to know.
Nothing. I'd personally have not problem eating a dog.

I don't really expect much to be done with it, but at least I'll have tried to make a difference in some way or another. Better than sitting on my butt and doing nothing. There's something archaic about going to Agway, buying ducks that are advertised to go "on your pond in your back yard", raising them with the intent of killing them, and then taking joy in killing them and leaving them to rot. Maybe I'm a bleeding heart, maybe I'm a tree hugger, but damnit, it's still an animal just like a dog, cat, horse, etc.
I agree they really oughta eat 'em. Seems a waste of good duck. I :heart: roast duck.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdcamb said:
Well if you don't know the difference between a dog and a duck. Well then I can't help you. Basically whatever dude.
Fundamentally there isn't much difference.

There's a big difference if the dog is your *pet* - but as an animal there's really no logical difference.

splat

Nam I am
robdamanii said:
Be very very very careful here
You might find the reults are not what you expect. you havenever been in a land access battle , and I know nothing of what the land has been provisioned for ( and you better find out , before opening your mouth), but I know up in mass ther is a Lot of land that is listed as Fish and Game preserves , that are priamarly for hunting and fishing!

because you could walk in and start claiming how dangerous this activity is to Bikes ,and Hikers and Horses , and they say your right it is ! We better not let them in there any more! and there goes your riding trail. and This has happened!! so be careful.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
SkaredShtles said:
Fundamentally there isn't much difference.

There's a big difference if the dog is your *pet* - but as an animal there's really no logical difference.
Even if the dog is not your pet. Most dogs are much more engaging then a duck. Dogs are pets and in a lot of cultures tools. Ducks however are fodder in most places. Are you gonna kill a dog which if trained properly is going to facilitate a meal?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
jdcamb said:
Even if the dog is not your pet. Most dogs are much more engaging then a duck. Dogs are pets and in a lot of cultures tools. Ducks however are fodder in most places. Are you gonna kill a dog which if trained properly is going to facilitate a meal?
So lesser animals are less deserving of being treated as living thing? Are "lesser" people (disabled, mentally challenged, whatever the case) less deserving of being treated as a living thing?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdcamb said:
Nope. But I'd eat a dog raised for meat.

Just as I wouldn't eat a pig raised to find truffles.

But I sure as hell ain't givin' up my bacon. :D

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
robdamanii said:
So lesser animals are less deserving of being treated as living thing? Do lesser people deserve to be treated less like humans because they're not as good as you?
I see your point, Rob. It's an argument you won't win though. Would I do it? No. Do people kill things to train? Unfortunately. As soon as you realize that we are still pretty barbaric, the more relaxed you can be. I really do understand your passion, but you should find something people will rally behind to focus on. However, people are different, so there will always be some sort of conflict. Choose wisely.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
robdamanii said:
So lesser animals are less deserving of being treated as living thing? Are "lesser" people (disabled, mentally challenged, whatever the case) less deserving of being treated as a living thing?
Kind of how it plays out. Society makes its own rules and I have very little say in anything as I have learned.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Funny, I don't think we kill extra things in the UK just to train the animals, we just train them when we have things to actual kill for a reason.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ok i dont think it matters if they leave them. because its not like the ducks are jsut gonna lay there. the ducks are still gonna be food for something. SOMETHING will eat them. and again the ducks are being bred for this. why dont you care about bacon or hamburger meat?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
BurlyShirley said:
Wow. Did you even read the thread? They kill them because their dogs need to practice for ACTUAL WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT:clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue: :clue:
If only we could use this concept with Death Row convicts and our military in preparation for war.

I would never be for the whole idea of killing ducks for "training" as I'm not into the death of animals unless there is a sound cause for it. (i.e. food). Yet, it is not something I would take action about, as there is really nothing you do.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
If the actual objective is wildlife mgmt., than why even use a dog? If overpopulation is the issue, why not blow them out of the sky and leave them where they lie?