Quantcast

quote from news in the south

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You don't hear any good banjo music in the north.

There was nothing like being welcomed off the plane by the toothless, shoeless, single suspendered coverall wearing band like that time I visited Mobile. The jug hooting solo took my breath away.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
So you say, but yet you live in a city so everything's at your fingertips.
Convenience is relative, and has very little to do with how much time you have to spend in your vehicle to get the things you need.

My choice to live in the city is based far more on efficiency than convenience.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are still some pretty backwards area's and people in the South but for the most part folks are the same everywhere. Actually the scariest place I have been is in rural areas of Washington. Not just scary rednecks but scary rednecks on Meth, yay.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There are still some pretty backwards area's and people in the South but for the most part folks are the same everywhere. Actually the scariest place I have been is in rural areas of Washington. Not just scary rednecks but scary rednecks on Meth, yay.
Southeast Idaho FTW!!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
You can keep your acreage, I haven't driven my car in days. As far as "southern hospitality" depends on where you go, and what you look like. It's nowhere to be found in west TN and most of AR. Arkansas is just plain creepy. There's a reason living is so cheap..
Wait....you were in West TN and Arkansas looking for southern hospitality? :rofl:

That's like going to a Village People show looking for straight people to talk to.

It's about as difficult to make as boiling water.
You would think......but apparently everyone north of Maryland hasn't quite figured that one out yet. I made the mistake of trying to order sweet tea in Boston one time---they sent out dirty dish water and some Sweet-N-Low. Keep up the good work, Beantown.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Is anybody living in ATL even *from* the South any more? :confused:
But don't tell Blue that.
It will ruin his mental picture of alligators running around downtown,
walking out in front of all the tractors.
Damn, some of you people need to get out more.
You will learn that people are generally the same all over.
As far as Mountains, both Blue and SS are welcome anytime to come over and follow me down from the top of Windrock, or we can climb up Laurel Mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway, or better yet, grab the roadie bikes and climb to the top of Mount Mitchell. A 30+ mile continous climb often gives someone enough time to pull their head out of their ass.:thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
or this...

Funny meth DH'ing story...well...maybe not that funny:

There's this trail...in the hills east of Seattle...used to shuttle it all the time. Anyway, come blasting through this one section and there's trash all over. I don't think anything of it at first. Next run down, a buddy stops, I stop too thinking he's flatted on some of the junk...but no... There were empty boxes of Coleman camping gear (Stove, lantern, etc.), gallon jugs of various acid, and a bunch of empty Sudafed containers. We backed away very slowly...and got the hell out of there. Two weeks later, I was back...rode through the same area and it was completely cleansed still with police tape everywhere.... Sort of disconcerting considering that people are loading up fully auto AK's and shooting at rocks just up the hill.....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
or this...

There's this trail...in the hills east of Seattle... it was completely cleansed still with police tape everywhere.... Sort of disconcerting considering that people are loading up fully auto AK's and shooting at rocks just up the hill.....
I wonder if this is the same spot we rode at a few years ago that seemed to be used by a bunch of weirdos for TV target practice... That was also disconcerting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
or this...

There's this trail...in the hills east of Seattle...used to shuttle it all the time. Anyway, come blasting through this one section and there's trash all over. I don't think anything of it at first. Next run down, a buddy stops, I stop too thinking he's flatted on some of the junk...but no... There were empty boxes of Coleman camping gear (Stove, lantern, etc.), gallon jugs of various acid, and a bunch of empty Sudafed containers. We backed away very slowly...and got the hell out of there. Two weeks later, I was back...rode through the same area and it was completely cleansed still with police tape everywhere.... Sort of disconcerting considering that people are loading up fully auto AK's and shooting at rocks just up the hill.....
My buddy is a construction manager out there and whenever they build or widen a road he has to go out and evict all the squatters and find all the meth lab locations before his crew goes into the area. Not his favorite part of the job.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
NO you don't. I went to some fancy pants taco place in down town Birmingham and all they have was just regular tea. :plthumbsdown:
1. There should be NO fancy pants taco places, ever, anywhere.
2. Especially not in Birmingham
3. Most places down South refer to it as simply Tea.

Sweet Tea is nectar of the Gods!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Long ride cumulating in a climb? I mean, I could string together some canyons and come up with some ridiculous 30k foot gain ride over 100 miles... :p

The rural South is much like rural Utah/Idaho, but substitute jeebus freeks for fundy Mormons. And flat boringness for mountains. Wooo!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
As far as Mountains, both Blue and SS are welcome anytime to come over and follow me down from the top of Windrock, or we can climb up Laurel Mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway, or better yet, grab the roadie bikes and climb to the top of Mount Mitchell. A 30+ mile continous climb often gives someone enough time to pull their head out of their ass.:thumb:
Hey - we have big hills here too. :p

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The rural South is much like rural Utah/Idaho, but substitute jeebus freeks for fundy Mormons. And flat boringness for mountains. Wooo!
I don't understand what you're trying to say. we have mormons too. we have mountains too. big deal. now go ride.