Quantcast

Race "kit"

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm starting to think that for a big part of RM some products would be more marketable if they weren't rocked by any pro's. Ppl are trend whores but hating them for what they wear? As long as they don't mess with me I don't care. It seems that the fashion on RM is to be anti fashion. That's a fad too ;)
Yep, it seems like half the dudes on here who can talk about what brands of not race kit they wear like dickies or AE (WTF?!? AE???) spend more time worrying about what clothes people see them in when they're on their bikes than the kicks rocking a full Sam Hill replica.

It's easy for me. My team has a jersey, shorts or pants and gloves that everyone wears. When it's time to go race, I wear that. Presto! No more worrying about what people will think if you wear this or that, it's just what you wear. Guess what- I match, and I don't give a ****.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I like the 80's colours that are comming back to fashion and it has nothing to do with Sam or any other pro rocking them. I understand you but I hope it doesn't get to a point that someone who doesn't know crap about what Hill rides buys his outfit because he likes flashy stuff and gets bashed for it. If we don't like posers let's not behave like them (the only differance being we're anti fashion).
Speaking of 80's colors, any of you jizzbombs have a pic of Todd Bosch's kit from the 2005 US open? Fukkin classic!!! :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
New gear is great, I hate it when all my new ride gear is dirty and I have to break out the 10y/o Fox shorts:rofl: Makes me feel like I should be on a Karp Disco with Monster t's!

2010 TLD for the most part is completely obnoxious looking, maybe actually living in the 80's has soured my taste for flourescent colors. As for matching

I'm excited for my Nema kit for '10:thumb:

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
New gear is great, I hate it when all my new ride gear is dirty and I have to break out the 10y/o Fox shorts:rofl: Makes me feel like I should be on a Karp Disco with Monster t's!

2010 TLD for the most part is completely obnoxious looking, maybe actually living in the 80's has soured my taste for flourescent colors. As for matching

I'm excited for my Nema kit for '10:thumb:
Finally Noah! They're putting all your logos on tonite.. I'll bring your kit out Sat. morning.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
have you seen the d3 thread? the POC is fairly clearly a better helmet, safety wise, for Downhill...still, you will see 90% of racers wearing the d3 because it's new and cool...just like the d2. I don't hate on sam for what he wears, i just think it doesn't belong on joe poser.
valid point...

but you have take in to the fact that the MSRP for top of the line POC is ~$600 where as the D3 is ~$450. yea you can find deals on both...but still...$600?

if i had to choose between the two, i'd rather be sam hill poser with an extra $150 in my pocket.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
valid point...

but you have take in to the fact that the MSRP for top of the line POC is ~$600 where as the D3 is ~$450. yea you can find deals on both...but still...$600?

if i had to choose between the two, i'd rather be sam hill poser with an extra $150 in my pocket.
We're talking about people who own bikes worth between $5000 and $10,000 here, it's not like a hundred bucks extra on a helmet is that big a deal to a lot of people buying them. In fairness, not everyone falls into this money-doesn't-really-matter group, myself included. Let's face it though - the D2s sold on looks and fit alone, they are actually a pretty low-quality, low-protection helmet, especially for the price. But they look cool.

Would you pay double for a helmet if you could be certain it'd last say four times as long? In other words, despite being twice the price, it'd be twice as good "value". Just curious here - I couldn't bring myself to fork out $900US for ANY helmet since I simply don't have that kind of money to blow, $600US is still beyond my means, $450US too...

Ah who am I kidding, I'd happily own a D3 or a POC if it fit well and I could afford it. The D3 cos it looks cool and should be at least more protective than the D2, and the POC cos it looks cool and should last a fair while and protect me well too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
valid point...

top of the line POC is around $525 MSRP, not $600.

edit: the two helmets, performance wise, are not equivalent. The POC utilizes MIPS, whereas the D3 does not. If you are not familiar with MIPS, definitely worth looking into. http://www.mipshelmet.se/

Last edited:

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
top of the line POC is around $525 MSRP, not $600.

edit: the two helmets, performance wise, are not equivalent. The POC utilizes MIPS, whereas the D3 does not. If you are not familiar with MIPS, definitely worth looking into. http://www.mipshelmet.se/
ive seen it listed both 525 and 599. either way it more expensive, even if by a lil. but thats kind of a trivial point.

ive read the MIPS info, and it sounds...sound. the only thing that doesnt really sell me between the two is who says the D3 doesnt perform any less.

im not really interested in buying either helmet any since i already spent my money on a THE, but the info does interest me.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ive seen it listed both 525 and 599. either way it more expensive, even if by a lil. but thats kind of a trivial point.

ive read the MIPS info, and it sounds...sound. the only thing that doesnt really sell me between the two is who says the D3 doesnt perform any less.

im not really interested in buying either helmet any since i already spent my money on a THE, but the info does interest me.
Honestly, if you expect anybody to take you seriously when you talk about anything logical, mathematical or argumentative, try to use literacy and grammar as your foundation.

I'm all for craptastic sentence malfunction when we go gnarcore...but that was terrible.:p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MIPS has a very sound methodology and evaluation execution. Its a far more realistic evaluation of how a helmet will perform during an impact than most (if not all) other test methods. And that's what test methods (ASTM, DOT, SNELL) are for - to perform and evaluate simulations of real world performance. But MIPS isn't just a different test method. Since its such a different approach to how helmets perform, a lid designed for MIPS has to be designed for it from the ground up (or at the very least undergo substantial modifications to the design).

The only way to settle the performance debate would be to run the D3 through a MIPS evaluation and see how well it does. Since it is not designed with MIPS, I would not expect it to perform as well as a helmet designed with MIPS. Is that to say that the D3 is a poor performing helmet? Absolutely not. I'm only stating that performance, in regards to this particular evaluation, might not be ideal.

FWIW, the D3 is only tested and approved (passed) for the following:
CPSC 1203, CE EN1077, CE EN1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F2032, ASTM F2040 (according to the TLD website). To the best of my knowledge, NONE of them test oblique impacts (I have only read the CPSC and ASTM documentation, CE is European equivalent), only direct impacts. Is that to say the D3 will perform poorly under oblique/angled impacts? Again, definitely not, but we have no way of knowing since it has not been evaluated for it (oblique impacts). If it HAS been tested for oblique impacts, these results have not been made public.

Again, let me reiterate that I do not consider the D3 to be a poor performing helmet. I just think that for that amount of money, I'd rather spend a little extra for something that has undergone a more rigorous and realistic evaluation. Right now POC is the only company offering this to the MTB market. I really hope that more companies get on board with MIPS in the future.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
Honestly, if you expect anybody to take you seriously when you talk about anything logical, mathematical or argumentative, try to use literacy and grammar as your foundation.

I'm all for craptastic sentence malfunction when we go gnarcore...but that was terrible.:p
bah proof reading isn't on the top of my priority list after coming off 10hr night shift...I'm sorry. ;-)

back to the OT...I bought a new TLD kit for next season...am I only allowed to wear it during the races now?

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Speaking of 80's colors, any of you jizzbombs have a pic of Todd Bosch's kit from the 2005 US open? Fukkin classic!!! :thumb:
Yes, that is a classic outfit.

I made the transfer from moto to Downhill in '06. I can't ride Downhill unless i'm in a full "race kit", it's the only thing I know how to ride in. :think: