Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
TBF NEEDING a waterbottle on your Ebike is fucking hilarous!
He’s right Westy. Get over it. A HardTail must have one. None of you ride one anymore,so you miss it. Then you Bitch about a bacpack,a hip pack. Enough of this stupid shit,you never happy Cunts.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A HardTail must have one. None of you ride one anymore,so you miss it.
I do ride a hardtail. Always have. It doesn't have bottle mounts but then I haven't used a waterbottle on a hardtail since 1992 (xc racing) .

Ive aways said. If for some shitty reason I had to only have one bike it'd 100% be a 100-120mm travel hardtail. As they are the most versatile all round bike possible.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I do ride a hardtail. Always have. It doesn't have bottle mounts but then I haven't used a waterbottle on a hardtail since 1992 (xc racing) .

Ive aways said. If for some shitty reason I had to only have one bike it'd 100% be a 100-120mm travel hardtail. As they are the most versatile all round bike possible.
What is it a Fixie or an early Production Privee?

A 120mm hardtail with a 64deg HA is my spirit animal.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dartmoor 4X

Shoulda said. I don't like big wheel hardtails. Infact I don't like anything big on a hardtail except maybe a 200mm+ dropper

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nah I'm sold on the big front wheel, mostly so I can have a slack HA with a short fork and still have a grumpy old man with a bad back sorta stack height.
I would have bought a Dartmoor frame if the Primal was in stock in my size, would have made a wicked mullet does it all poorly bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had a little 26" wheel 62deg HA 100mm hardtail back around 2000 - 2004. It was a great little bike for pinning fast jumpy man made trails but slightly less versatile than something with 69deg and no faster for it. Just more stable. I'm fine with instability. Infact see it as a "feature" of a good hardtail seeing as stability and maneuverability tend to affect each other negatively.

Asphalt Pumptrack weren't around back then but I'm fairly confident which bike I'd prefer to be using on my local velosolutions track if I still had that old bike too.

Honestly don't see the fun in a big long travel big wheel hardtail. Just kills their pop/playfulness. We're all different tho. Some folk apparently even like 27.5 fatbikes

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hahah...

Never was the biggest fan of steel DJ frames but I'll bear that in mind if I'm ever struggling for a replacement. Dunno if you clocked the *spare* STP and OG Pikes lying in the shed of dreams.

Happy New Year mate!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm after one of those sweet forks. All I could find were boat anchor Marzocchi DJ3s and some beaten up Argyles.
I've kinda got a few of them - an OG Pike air U turn (complete on daughter's bike), coil U turn X-firm with the STP frame and I think I have lowers, internals and uppers from trashed pikes kicking around somewhere - (possibly enough to rebiuld another)
also have a mint Bolt thru 26" Reba (if you're looking for really light).
I guess after postage it prob wouldn't be worth it to Argentina. Postage rates from UK are ridiculous after all our shitty Gov's poor decisions over the last few years

OG Argyles were basically a Pike with heavier CSU and more basic damping. Then later there was a good one and a budget/OEM one... but yeah. all kinda heavy for a short 26" fork

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
OG Argyles were basically a Pike with heavier CSU and more basic damping.
Yup, I had a 318 (coil) and then a 409 (air) back in the day, basically a Pike with an anvil instead of a crown and Tora cromoly stanchions. Easy to rebuild and stiff AF. Heavy? Sure, but the rest of my dirt jumper was also heavy AF TBH :rofl: .

EDIT: Marzocchis from that era were also heavier, prone to bridge cracking and also to puke their internals out on heavy landings IIRC.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Never was the biggest fan of steel DJ frames but I'll bear that in mind if I'm ever struggling for a replacement. Dunno if you clocked the *spare* STP and OG Pikes lying in the shed of dreams.
my 2005-ish dj bike? Giant STP & the OG Pike... good times!
1704068576394.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
good times indeed.
Think I had 5 STPs over the years. (other than hangers never broke one)
The early ones like yours were so ahead of the curve with their bottle mounts! :brows:
The frame I've got left will be a 2008

Were you in the UK? what twentyfourseven parts did you have? I had tons of their ropey ass shit. No fucks given at the time TBH

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
good times indeed.
Think I had 5 STPs over the years. (other than hangers never broke one)
The early ones like yours were so ahead of the curve with their bottle mounts! :brows:
The frame I've got left will be a 2008

Were you in the UK? what twentyfourseven parts did you have? I had tons of their ropey ass shit. No fucks given at the time TBH
Naah, I've never been to the UK.
Crankset that you can see in the photo is from 247. Had a good deal on those.
1704119131697.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
True story: The original 24/7 pinchbolt 3pc steel cranks were so badly made that when fitted they didn't even line up straight with each other. Tons were seen on budget DJ and DH bikes and it seemed very few folk even noticed. But of those who did few even gave a fuck because they were still stronger than comparable alloy cranks and cheap. Their parts did improve over time but the market dried up. And they went out of business. DMR being the main surviving UK company now from that era.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
True story: The original 24/7 pinchbolt 3pc steel cranks were so badly made that when fitted they didn't even line up straight with each other. Tons were seen on budget DJ and DH bikes and it seemed very few folk even noticed. But of those who did few even gave a fuck because they were still stronger than comparable alloy cranks and cheap. Their parts did improve over time but the market dried up. And they went out of business. DMR being the main surviving UK company now from that era.
Mine were probably from a later version, without pinchbolts, but with this micro spline spindle (like many modern bmx cranks). They were straight, heavy af tho and a nightmare to take of if needed.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
That’s really hectic news. The industry is in a right state. I have been trying to sell my Patrol since the beginning of the year, with no luck. Brand new carbon frame as a warranty replacement and listed at what should be a really good price, but still nothing. There is a threshold price where it makes no sense to sell it, and week on week I am seeing the same frames and bikes listed on PB (at great prices to) so it’s not just me that’s struggling. Definitely a buyers market right now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That’s really hectic news. The industry is in a right state. I have been trying to sell my Patrol since the beginning of the year, with no luck. Brand new carbon frame as a warranty replacement and listed at what should be a really good price, but still nothing. There is a threshold price where it makes no sense to sell it, and week on week I am seeing the same frames and bikes listed on PB (at great prices to) so it’s not just me that’s struggling. Definitely a buyers market right now.
Pricing on transitions is pretty absurd from retail. Even used they are barely competitive with other MFGs

Which probably has something to do with Orange's ordeal. They are massively overpriced for bikes that look and ride like filing cabinets. They need to be about half the price to compete with what other people are pumping out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, I had a 318 (coil) and then a 409 (air) back in the day, basically a Pike with an anvil instead of a crown and Tora cromoly stanchions. Easy to rebuild and stiff AF. Heavy? Sure, but the rest of my dirt jumper was also heavy AF TBH :rofl: .

EDIT: Marzocchis from that era were also heavier, prone to bridge cracking and also to puke their internals out on heavy landings IIRC.
I put a set of pike lowers on a revelation to run on my slalom hard tail. It has since been reverted back the the revelation lowers for my yeti xc hard tail. Neither of those frames are currently built up.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pricing on transitions is pretty absurd from retail. Even used they are barely competitive with other MFGs

Which probably has something to do with Orange's ordeal. They are massively overpriced for bikes that look and ride like filing cabinets. They need to be about half the price to compete with what other people are pumping out.
Transition hands out their "pro deal" pricing pretty leniently, it is typically 30% off retail. They recently sent out an email to everyone on the list for an extra 15% off that. 45% off retail put them just barely in the ball park, I feel bad for dealers trying to move product they already paid for.

Cool company in terms of customer support, but way off base with their pricing and fit/finish of the product is definitely not top shelf.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
It’s 45% for anyone right now. I agree on their pricing, way off base. Even at 45% off, there’s not much to sway me to buy one. There are so many options at much better prices, good quality, good customer support.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Transition hands out their "pro deal" pricing pretty leniently, it is typically 30% off retail. They recently sent out an email to everyone on the list for an extra 15% off that. 45% off retail put them just barely in the ball park, I feel bad for dealers trying to move product they already paid for.

Cool company in terms of customer support, but way off base with their pricing and fit/finish of the product is definitely not top shelf.
What happened to them? They were always the bargain price company when you wanted to build up a bike from scratch. You saw tons of Bottlerockets and Dirtbags in the PNW, frames were not the nicest manufacturing quality but usually OK, fairly durable and backed up by good customer service. Now living in Europe I have never seen any of their newer (carbon) bikes on the trail as they are only sold at absurd prices over here (as did their ali bikes back in the day).

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They're pretty common in the US, especially west coast. The build kits are usually pretty solid, and they seem like they're always on sale. When they're not on sale, they're sold out.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Here in Australia they're the same price as Yeti or Santa Cruz basically. They're on sale at the moment because they're changing distributors over here, will be interesting whether the new guys offer different pricing or not.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have to say that I usually break all my frames, and went thru warranty process with many different companies, Transition was the easiest to deal with. My alloy Scout was out of warranty (5 years old) and they offered me a carbon crash replacement at a really good price. I had my new frame 7 days after contacting them.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Here in Australia they're the same price as Yeti or Santa Cruz basically. They're on sale at the moment because they're changing distributors over here, will be interesting whether the new guys offer different pricing or not.
I went to the new warehouse when they were setting it up, it's fucking huge!
They have sponsored a local young dude that rides with Jack Moir a fair bit, hope he does well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So that's it? Instead of steering us into buying DHF clones now the Woo's influence is just strong enough to barely convince people of answering posts with Chihuaha pictures?

Woo needs to license his stamp of approval so people know they are buying quality products designed sometime during the Cold War.