Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Not in love with the white topcap. Might have to find a red one.
9EC4D39D-030D-45B2-9C47-46D9681CE585.jpeg

All new stainless bolts throughout now, plus all the cutting and grinding done on various other bolts, steerer tube etc. Most significantly had to grind out space for the front hub cones on the insides of the fork dropouts. Nailed it if I do say so myself.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Hubba hubba! :brows:
1F1B1035-A8E3-4C82-B6D6-93E6ED09EC9A.jpeg

:rimshot:

Finally got it to rolling chassis status and chucked a leg over. Feels good man! Bars are rolled too far forward by a mile, seat is totally wrong, but boing boing! Gonna be a fun squishy thing. Totally rough reach measured at ~380mm. Looking pretty awesome I think, needs moar red though.

45118060-2C27-4FB5-AD02-358AFCDD516C.jpeg

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hubba hubba! :brows:

:rimshot:

Finally got it to rolling chassis status and chucked a leg over. Feels good man! Bars are rolled too far forward by a mile, seat is totally wrong, but boing boing! Gonna be a fun squishy thing. Totally rough reach measured at ~380mm. Looking pretty awesome I think, needs moar red though.
Decals with "Orange" and "222" in a NZL theme would look pretty awesome. I think Peaty had one with the Union Jack like that for Worlds.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Decals with "Orange" and "222" in a NZL theme would look pretty awesome. I think Peaty had one with the Union Jack like that for Worlds.
I keep going back and forth on decals. I could just do none. But.. there is a place here where I can get customs, soo….

I have sort of had this in mind for a while:

8EF4017F-6B12-4AD2-926C-F6FE8630FA6A.jpeg

Not sure where I’m going with it yet.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I keep going back and forth on decals. I could just do none. But.. there is a place here where I can get customs, soo….

I have sort of had this in mind for a while:

View attachment 161657

Not sure where I’m going with it yet.
IMO only black or polished frames look good w/o decals. I like the red/white of the plane, maybe you can accentuate the frame shape with red pinstripes?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Does Europe get many tornadoes?

Parts of the U.S. just seem to look at them as an inconvenience.
Rare and the most they normally do is knock a few roof tiles off.
^ this

That tornado is unprecedented in the entire known history of that region and my country. It is crazy to watch videos of people who were standing by the windows while the twister ravaged their homes. They only saw one before in bad Hollywood movies!

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
For @Changleen :thumb:

But for reals, that's a dope project and I look forward to seeing the finished build up.
There is of course some basis to this. The before images are without doubt Hey Yoo Guys!

3B3DF41B-A25C-484D-88A2-CAC5E7B43BFE.jpeg

B4C7F44E-73E5-4578-B749-F44B7A5E08BC.jpeg

But after a lot of time with a grinder:

889DA300-123B-4D7C-B085-5E46B322FFB6.jpeg

10D2CAFE-A996-4B6E-9A5B-B3C800C2BCFE.jpeg

I hope it’s a bit more Santa Cruz. :brows:

9E622C5F-D340-4DA1-9257-4846F264421E.jpeg

49C7EF0B-B72C-4F8E-B23B-54CF7A68BF43.jpeg

Oranges of this era are really are like slightly prematurely productionised prototypes. Everything just bolts together. Lots of taps into the frame material itself. Welded plate construction with a block here and there. It’s kinda cool but compared to refinement of a modern bike, it really stands out as a whole other mindset of manufacturing. I hope I have smoothed out some of that when I’m done.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
There is of course some basis to this. The before images are without doubt Hey Yoo Guys!

View attachment 161669
View attachment 161670

But after a lot of time with a grinder:

View attachment 161671

View attachment 161672

I hope it’s a bit more Santa Cruz. :brows:

View attachment 161673

View attachment 161674

Oranges of this era are really are like slightly prematurely productionised prototypes. Everything just bolts together. Lots of taps into the frame material itself. Welded plate construction with a block here and there. It’s kinda cool but compared to refinement of a modern bike, it really stands out as a whole other mindset of manufacturing. I hope I have smoothed out some of that when I’m done.
Honest questions from someone that knows next to nothing about welding:

1. Are the welds on that Orange really that poor?
2. Does grinding the welds smooth effect the structural integrity of that piece?

Looks good!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Honest questions from someone that knows next to nothing about welding:

1. Are the welds on that Orange really that poor?
2. Does grinding the welds smooth effect the structural integrity of that piece?

Looks good!
Well, I think the welds are actually really good in terms of penetration and technical execution, on the vanilla bike though there were just a lot of them and they were all over the place, which gives a, let’s say ‘industrial’ aesthetic to be kind to it. I wanted to make it a lot cleaner looking.

The aluminium sheet the bike is mostly made of is about 2mm thick and only in one spot did I find anything like a void or bubble in the welds, and that in a distinctly non-critical area. When I ground them all down it seems there is plenty of material, especially where it matters. Fingers crossed anyway. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, I think the welds are actually really good in terms of penetration and technical execution, on the vanilla bike though there were just a lot of them and they were all over the place, which gives a, let’s say ‘industrial’ aesthetic to be kind to it. I wanted to make it a lot cleaner looking.

The aluminium sheet the bike is mostly made of is about 2mm thick and only in one spot did I find anything like a void or bubble in the welds, and that in a distinctly non-critical area. When I ground them all down it seems there is plenty of material, especially where it matters. Fingers crossed anyway. :D
I never really looked at the Orange but never had any up close. Those welds look structurally sound, but they aren't pretty. I think it turned out great.