Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pork jowl bacon was my go to fat for cooking beans, unparalleled flavor. Really bad for you though.

What are you going to do with it ?
My Self Proclaimed student is making Sausage. Her family owns the Grocery she bought the stuff from. I just liked the picture really. Her new restaurant is in Greely Colorado. Her idea of farm to table involves Fedex and Sysco.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My vote is a nice carbonara :drool: - tis the proper part of teh pig afterall :nerd:...

..and don't you DARE put peas in it :rant::disgust1:

I put Peas in my version. I also make it with white mushrooms or grilled asparagus when in season. Truffles go well with Jowl meat also...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What's really bad about it?

Answer: NOTHING.

:mad:
Who eats it more then twice a year? That's the thing that makes Carbonara such a treat. If you find a glob of fat in your sauce. Float some breadcrumbs on top and scoop them out before you turn off the heat in the pan. Save them for making Lentils or mix them with Tabouli for a delicious salad with Tomatoes and Feta.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What's really bad about it?

Answer: NOTHING.

:mad:
Not trying to go all Syadasti here, but for one it's loaded with purines, the chemical compound responsible for uric acid and subsequent gout attack. Two, pork fat is very bad for the heart, especially if there is a history of heart disease in one's family.

Don't get me wrong, I loved bacon in all it's delicious varieties and miss it dearly. I had to make a major lifestyle change just so I could keep walking and be able to ride a bike.

If I could eat bacon and ride, you better believe I would.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not trying to go all Syadasti here, but for one it's loaded with purines, the chemical compound responsible for uric acid and subsequent gout attack. Two, pork fat is very bad for the heart, especially if there is a history of heart disease in one's family.

Don't get me wrong, I loved bacon in all it's delicious varieties and miss it dearly. I had to make a major lifestyle change just so I could keep walking and be able to ride a bike.

So my belief that if I add Tomatoes and Beans along with a Grain into my recipes to counteract Purines naturally present from Pork and Lamb fat are not actually helping?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Ah. I see. So it's bad for YOU. You should have been clearer about that.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
All things in moderation, my easily-riled friend... :D
Two things Humans have no control over. Waiting for a bottle of wine to properly oxidize and eating in any semblance of moderation. The smell of searing flesh overrides all of baser instincts in most everyone and almost always. Our lust for Hot burnt flesh is the same instinct that bears have with honey. Humans will endure burns to eat flesh as bears will endure a stinging insect to eat honey. Almost always....