Quantcast

RANT about Boxxer/CS 2010

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Colored knobs and funny names for them take off 4 seconds off your minute, didn't you know?
Nice!!!

EDIT 2005 Boxxer world cup $1125 ish
2010 Boxxer world cup $1700 ish

Tell me there is really around 600 dollars worth of material cost change in the coarse of five years?

Again, I am not just saying this about Sram, but all the big suspension guys out there.

They charge this, because we pay it, and we accept that its ok to sell it then fix it. Oh, and the Dorado comparission is a great one. It was actually something innovative, a CF DH fork... Turns out it needed a fair bit of tweaking as well.

If I get a product out of the box that doesnt work right, I get my money back, and buy something else, Just like I did with Marzocchi last year.

Edit....I have the same issue with Bontrager as well, they just send me extra wheelsets at the shop now, seems I have at least one hub a week with a broken hub flange. Lite weight is great until it starts being unreliable.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I would think that the new Dorado is a slap int he face that would wake a lot of people up and stop the whining, but no, it continues.

Just a guess here, but the Dorado doesn't seem to have pulled out any shortcuts in its production. That super-high attention to detail might be what makes it cost what it does. Add in its limited production, and there ya go. When you think about what they are trying to acheive, it makes sense, although not many people will figure that out.

The cost of forks riding I can sort of understand. I am betting that not only have material and production costs gone up, but also costs all around from distributors, fluctuating dollar values, and loss in outside investments (lehman brothers T-shirt anyone? Cheap!)

Secondly. cyclists are ****ing idiots. IDIOTS. We pay and pay and pay for overpriced trinkets with no thought to thier value, and then whine when the price raises. There are so many overpriced, bull**** fluff items on the scene that people happily shell out for, I wouldn't be surprised if pricing meeting don't go something like "I'll bet you $5 they pay $xxxx for this. "

And then you do.

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
Now here is a suggestion to SRAM.

Colorado (July 30-Aug 2) / Whistler (Aug 8-16)
CRANKWORKS: Have a trailer with 5-10 techs all day with all the parts needed to do the 're-work' on 2010 Boxxers. Do the necessary work to ANYONE that shows up with a 2010 Boxxer on the spot.

That takes care of PR and gets real info to the people and gets a lot of happy customers. It won't help everyone, but its an attempt to help a lot of people in a concentrated riding area.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Funny you mentioned this. I asked them if they can take a look at my old Boxxer WC when they were at the Ashland 12 mile Super D and they didn't have ANY tools or parts for Boxxers with them! They said they pulled them off the trailer because in Ashland and Downieville they don't need them as everybody is on trailbikes. :( Mmmh, they have this huge a$$ trailer and don't have enough space to have all the tools/spares needed to work on any of their forks???? Crazy!
In contrast to this: at another event Manitou was present with a small truck and could work on nearly any fork they ever made. They fixed one guys Mars and sold me spares for my old Dorado! :thumb:

Now here is a suggestion to SRAM.

Colorado (July 30-Aug 2) / Whistler (Aug 8-16)
CRANKWORKS: Have a trailer with 5-10 techs all day with all the parts needed to do the 're-work' on 2010 Boxxers. Do the necessary work to ANYONE that shows up with a 2010 Boxxer on the spot.

That takes care of PR and gets real info to the people and gets a lot of happy customers. It won't help everyone, but its an attempt to help a lot of people in a concentrated riding area.