Quantcast

Rant? Why is norba poopy.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
rockymt21 said:
So you guys don't think im ready for jrx?

I see your points sparky and they are pretty good. Just don't want to look like a prick in sport...
No clue. I have never seen you ride. I just hate to see kids get hurt and discouraged trying to ride over their heads.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
You will not look like a prick in sport. You are playing by the rules and racing in the class the rules say you should be in.

If someone gets pissed you beat them you could look at them and tell them to train more because you are where you belong at that point.

I was denied my upgrade to semi-pro the first time I applied. So I dominated the local races until I achieved the results I needed to upgrade. I had some people question why I was in expert, once I explained they had no argument left.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ride_fast said:
I remember my first race like 4 years ago in jr. beguiner where us guys in the top three were passing like eight people. It is the lamist thing ever and totaly messes with your race run. Jr.x is not so bad, i think ive only had to do it a few times and only like 1 person so its really lame that they wont let you move up because it sounds like you would be able to do ok in x.
I agree, I applied to move up to pro years ago when I did, simply because practice in expert was an absolute trainwreck. It was to the point of being dangerous as you'd try and put down a full speed run and some clown would be camped out in the middle of the run "checking his lines". Repeat 40 times in one practice run.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
at mammoth i couldnt ride like 30 seconds without coming up on some person and having to stop. i was like seriouslty starting to freak and then there was the expert lady just like lollygagging around in the trail going like 1mph and i come pinning around one of the corners twards the end and just frikkn nail her and get like filpped over my bike and impailed with my pedal and she was like, slown down and just like walked away as i was like bleading.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That is the type of person who needs to be seperated from the rest of the riders, not junior vs junior x.

It's like during the WC, the top 30 men get their own practice hour without the rest of us, which is more then fine. I don't want to get in Cedric Or Nathan's way at full speed. Only they allow the top 20 pro women on course at the same time, so how does this solve anything exactly?

I would have gone off if she told me to slow down. She obviously had no place on the RACE COURSE. It's a race - you go fast. Take up bocce if you don't like it.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Transcend said:
I agree, I applied to move up to pro years ago when I did, simply because practice in expert was an absolute trainwreck. It was to the point of being dangerous as you'd try and put down a full speed run and some clown would be camped out in the middle of the run "checking his lines". Repeat 40 times in one practice run.
This is a big reason I'm trying to get the results in expert to get my semi-pro license. I think 50% of the reason people eat it in sections like the yardsale is because they dont have the opportunity to properly practice it like a race run. Come race time they enter hotter than practice, panic, and crash. AM practice at the US Open is pretty bad as well. Cant friggin wait to get out of expert practice, and to do an entire run without having to slow down before my race!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Banshee Rider said:
This is a big reason I'm trying to get the results in expert to get my semi-pro license. I think 50% of the reason people eat it in sections like the yardsale is because they dont have the opportunity to properly practice it like a race run. Come race time they enter hotter than practice, panic, and crash. AM practice at the US Open is pretty bad as well. Cant friggin wait to get out of expert practice, and to do an entire run without having to slow down before my race!
I 100% agree. The biggest improvements I ever made racing were when I went from expert to semi pro. I was able to put down full speed race style runs in practice and be confident and comfortable at speed during my race run. HUGE difference over putting down half assed practice runs and then hitting every section at speeds way higher then I was used to.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
ride_fast said:
I remember my first race like 4 years ago in jr. beguiner where us guys in the top three were passing like eight people. It is the lamist thing ever and totaly messes with your race run. Jr.x is not so bad, i think ive only had to do it a few times and only like 1 person so its really lame that they wont let you move up because it sounds like you would be able to do ok in x.
i had to do that in jrx at snowshoe. i figure at the nats they might of had some court marshalls to get him to move. but it didnt really matter anyway. it get really annoying tho

biker3

Turbo Monkey
konahucker43 said:
i had to do that in jrx at snowshoe. i figure at the nats they might of had some court marshalls to get him to move. but it didnt really matter anyway. it get really annoying tho
No doubt, Snowshoe was BADDD this year. Expert practice with any kind of condition changes is like taking cell phones away from all the girls in orange county. Straight chaos. I was stopping at literally EVERY section esp the steep shute into the big log drop at the bottem, it was impossible to get a full run. Same thing at Snowmass, expert practice was awful there cuz its so full out and riding behind people on their brakes in 6 inches of dust was the worst experience of the year. Id say Brian head was the only norba this year where it wasnt crowded and you really got to open it up. I enjoyed that race and course. This is precisely why I applied for Semi Pro and why I'm racing pro at the US open.

Edit:Im not the type who would whine or bitch at another rider though, I feel thats a bit uncalled for and people who do need to get a life. After all it is just racing, and that slow person has just as much right to be there as me, slow or not. Although it is always funny watching the people who do let that kind of thing ruin their race/riding experience.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
ChrisKring said:
Can a Junior rider out of the top 5 ride the Yardsale at Mount Snow? ?

prolly that wasn't that hard a rock garden, just scary because once you started down the hill before it you were commited. I thought those super fast rocks up above were harder...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
oly said:
This is sorta relavent to this thread....

Posted yesterday... comments to the rule changes about upgrades.
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2239
interesting...

NORBA said:
The old rule led to possible legal exposure should a rider enter the expert category in his first race.
makes sense, they're protecting themselves in case some total hack who's never raced before enters the Mt Snow Expert DH race and breaks his neck in the Yardsale...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah kind of a good rule now that I think of it. I don't care anymore, I got my upgrade.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
rockymt21 said:
Yeah kind of a good rule now that I think of it. I don't care anymore, I got my upgrade.
ya, I was able to upgrade to expert arbitrarily a several years ago, but in retrospect I did have the 2 top 5 finishes in sport necessary. if you can't get into the top 5 in sport, do you really belong in Expert??

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
rockymt21 said:
I get what your saying but the way the system is set up is all screwed up...
I think it is good you now have to qualify to move up to expert.
May be we will see less of the cluster****s expert practice was in the past with some fast people and some other that, well, should have been racing a little more before moving up.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Transcend said:
I agree, I applied to move up to pro years ago when I did, simply because practice in expert was an absolute trainwreck.
Yeah. that is pretty much the only reason why I move up to semi this year. I was sick of expert practice with road blocks every hundred yards.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Mani_UT said:
I think it is good you now have to qualify to move up to expert.
May be we will see less of the cluster****s expert practice was in the past with some fast people and some other that, well, should have been racing a little more before moving up.
I thought you moved up because the experts didn't want to see anyone riding in a thong in their practice anymore.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
rockymt21 said:
Why is norba poopy?
Because of people that only complain and do nothing to fix it.

I came up with a conclusion though: Mountain bikers love to complain. How many races have you been to and people were happy with the event?! Even when Durango was in the circuit, people bltched about it, there's always something wrong.

Anyway...the only people who should complain should be PROs, they make no $. For the rest of us, try to remember the reason you started riding to begin with. Was it for the $ and the ladies? Cuz if it was, you better off with curling.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
MadDHer said:

I came up with a conclusion though: Mountain bikers love to complain. How many races have you been to and people were happy with the event?! Even when Durango was in the circuit, people bltched about it, there's always something wrong.

Anyway...the only people who should complain should be PROs, they make no $. For the rest of us, try to remember the reason you started riding to begin with. Was it for the $ and the ladies? Cuz if it was, you better off with curling.
Ask anyone about the US Open, and see what the reaction is...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
MadDHer said:

I came up with a conclusion though: Mountain bikers love to complain. How many races have you been to and people were happy with the event?!
I saw way too many years where countless numbers of people offered to help and DID help, but were squelched by the powers that be. I also learned one thing in all my years in racing, if there is nice prize money for the pros, decent prizes/money for the amateurs, problems go unnoticed.

94-99, you heard little complaints because everyone was getting taken care of.

Another example is the Jeep races, they are about as lame as it gets, but riders get treated well, get paid, get on TV-no complaints.

A larger issue is the people that think people are only complaining and not trying to fix, or offer solutions-its been done over and over.

Fact is, MTB racing is a fringe/cult activity, the masses do not do it, get used to the 'grassroots' vibe.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
stiksandstones said:
Fact is, MTB racing is a fringe/cult activity, the masses do not do it, get used to the 'grassroots' vibe.
EXACTLY !! Mind if I add that quote to My sig ??:)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
ride_fast said:
at mammoth i couldnt ride like 30 seconds without coming up on some person and having to stop. i was like seriouslty starting to freak and then there was the expert lady just like lollygagging around in the trail going like 1mph and i come pinning around one of the corners twards the end and just frikkn nail her and get like filpped over my bike and impailed with my pedal and she was like, slown down and just like walked away as i was like bleading.
That must have really sucked...

At the fontana national, this weekend:
I was at the top about to start and the kid in front of me told me that if i caught up, to just yell...

At the bottom, at the end of the wall, where the trail became narrow, I was coming close (yelling "move over"). He just kept going forwad until I came close. Suddenly!, he crashed.:mumble: :mad: :redhot:

I had to come to a full stop to get around him before sprinting to the finish. It got me kind of pissed.