Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just don't drive them like they are advertised.....

bent frames seem to be the norm for the baja 1000 wannabees....:rofl:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am pretty impressed with them overall.....of course a complete retard can smash one after eating his crayons...

two buddies have them and gotten to drive (flog) both....very surprised how smooth and throaty them sunsa beyatches are.

personally I would rather build a truck and have twice the rig for half the price

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
seeing a lot of bent frames at the silverlake sand dunes in michigan too.

Cool truck, glad ford actually stepped to the plate to build something cool, but as posted already, any retard can break the truck.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
4x4 shops need to offer a frame reinforcement and make some bucks.

This is all it takes? Check the kicker at 1:30. Bent the frame.

Also, dirt bikes come with a 30/30 warranty. 30 seconds or 30 feet.

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
The kx250f I bought required a signature acknowledging there is no warranty because it's a factory race vehicle... If Raptor owners haven't had to sign anything like that, they better get some help from corporate. I've put 170k on a GMC Canyon with no frame issues, and let's just say I haven't been nice to it... I think it's seen more dirt than most 4x4's and plenty of desert.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
From the video it did look like it was really good at going fast in a straight line on smooth surface - what more can you ask for.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
From the video it did look like it was really good at going fast in a straight line on smooth surface - what more can you ask for.
I'm sure that trail was a lot rougher than the video shows, just like any other trail that is shown on a video on the interweb, regardless, it looks like ford may need to look into this bent frame deal.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The kx250f I bought required a signature acknowledging there is no warranty because it's a factory race vehicle... If Raptor owners haven't had to sign anything like that, they better get some help from corporate. I've put 170k on a GMC Canyon with no frame issues, and let's just say I haven't been nice to it... I think it's seen more dirt than most 4x4's and plenty of desert.
I read through the thread. Ford is denying the warranty under 'abuse'. And apparently some non-raptor F150's have been bending there too. There are nearing enough Raptor owners with damage to clear the 200 necessary for a class action too.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
LOLZ!!!

http://www.raptorforumz.com/showpost.php?p=163422&postcount=189

So, I was sent the pictures from the engineer. His report states "Extensive Customer Abuse, leading to frame damage" as cause for denial.

Pictures they included:

- Scratches on skid plate (NO dents, not even small ones)
- Worn rear tires, stock BFGs worn from climbing and spinning on loose rock
- Scratches on underside of rear bumper & one tow hook (from 4x4 training class I paid for)
- Scratch on underside of drivers side side-step
- Scratched and cracked plastic cover on rear drivers side shock
- Missing spare tire (This apparently indicates abuse) as I had new tires on order

Best of all?
- Leak around rear diff cover, which was already re-sealed once under warranty first week of owning the truck, but is leaking again! Apparently, that's my fault too now.

In short, NONE of these items relate to a bent frame in any way, but scratches will add up and they will claim "Abuse" from those items above. THIS MAY HAPPEN FOR ANY ISSUE YOU BRING THE TRUCK IN FOR!!!!

Of those items listed, not a SINGLE one of those items happened on the Raptor Run, which is the ****tiest part. They all happened the 2nd week I owned the truck, during the 4x4 safety course that I attended at Gorman... ALL low speed damage when crawling in and over some ditches and rocks. The rear shock cover damage "could" have happened on the run, but I noticed the plastic was already seriously worn out after my first off road trip to Johnson Valley, they must get sand blasted!

So, in short.. SCRATCHES WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY and paint a picture of abuse. I could have been deceitful and waited until I had new tires on the truck... Or replaced the plastic shock covers before taking in for a claim, but never imagined those would be used as evidence of abuse, and denying a claim.

Furthermore, I MUST have my truck repaired by a dealership immediately, or they will cancel my chassis warranty. I then asked her "What's the chassis warranty good for anyway, as I'm going to be denied any future claims for the EXACT same reasons they already found?" Of course, no answer... Just the same "Case-by-Case" bull****.

So, those of you with this issue, DO NOT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO THE DEALER FOR ANY REASON BEFORE HAVING IT FIXED!!! They will note the damage, and REQUIRE that a dealer fixes it or cancel your warranty.

Repair is estimated at $765, which is fine... But going forward I know they're going to deny pretty much any and all items they can for the same existing scratches, which is what's really pissing me off... Ugh, guess I gotta fix all those too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i lost it when people were saying "i was hitting ONLY TWELVE INCH TALL BUMPS AT 70MPH when this happened"....:rofl:
wtf?
The truck is designed as a prerunner. If you've seen one in person, you'd see where they are coming from. Honestly, I would have expected a swingarm of suspension member to give on that type of hit. The frame, in theory, should be the absolute strongest part of that vehicle.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The truck is designed as a prerunner. If you've seen one in person, you'd see where they are coming from. Honestly, I would have expected a swingarm of suspension member to give on that type of hit. The frame, in theory, should be the absolute strongest part of that vehicle.
Trucks have swingarms?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How are the frames bending out like that? One would think they'd bend "in" so the top of the bed would be closer to the cab than the bottom, like a "u" shape rather than an "n" shape....but I don't know nothin.

Hate to say it, but it's still a car, and unless the warranty specifically includes that use, then you're likely to get screwed. Just like certain bike MFG's and the "no downhill racing" clause in their warranties for DH bikes...

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
How are the frames bending out like that? One would think they'd bend "in" so the top of the bed would be closer to the cab than the bottom, like a "u" shape rather than an "n" shape....but I don't know nothin.

Hate to say it, but it's still a car, and unless the warranty specifically includes that use, then you're likely to get screwed. Just like certain bike MFG's and the "no downhill racing" clause in their warranties for DH bikes...
apparently, there's some sort of bump stop in that area that gets a beating when the suspension is bottomed out. In order to install that bump stop, that portion of the frame isn't fully boxed like the rest of frame.... basically, it makes it flexy

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
apparently, there's some sort of bump stop in that area that gets a beating when the suspension is bottomed out. In order to install that bump stop, that portion of the frame isn't fully boxed like the rest of frame.... basically, it makes it flexy
Whoever approved that should be shot in the face with a musket.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hmm...they aren't all retards...
Enough is enough. I am on my 2 Raptor (first one a 5.4) and have logged well over 50,000 miles on them, they are great trucks but are NOT race trucks...anything built can be overdriven and damaged-ever looked to see how many FULL RACE trucks break/bend everything from frames to axles? To the whiners: man up, take responsibility for YOUR actions, quit crying like a school girl and either enjoy your Raptors or sell them and buy something else!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hey man, the Wrangler is still 1000000000000% more reliable than any Ford built in the last 20 years.
I've owned a lotta jeeps. Mainly 4.0 or 4.2 straight six's

My first ford is rapidly approaching 200k.

Of course it lives a different life than any of my jeeps did, it's usually hauling a few thousand pounds more than any of my jeeps weighed, or it's towing my jeep to the trails, or my boat, or hauling bikes to the trails.