Quantcast

RatPac Sunday?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya everyone,

I know I know...Whistler opens this weekend, there's an event down in PA...but those of you left who aren't going to either of those are welcome to join a modest group at Rat Pac this Sunday.

I'm taking Dropmonkey over to show him the trails, see what's still standing, etc etc. EvilBob indicated he'd be coming...

Anyone else up for it?

Junior

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Dammit! I have to work, otherwise I'd be there!:( Gotta break in the new Bullit some more. Soon enough (3weeks or so), I'll be able to ride all the Sundays I want!:D

Have a great time! :devil:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by bikeguy100k
Dammit! I have to work, otherwise I'd be there!:( Gotta break in the new Bullit some more. Soon enough (3weeks or so), I'll be able to ride all the Sundays I want!:D

Have a great time! :devil:
No worries dude! There'll be plenty of other rides this summer ;). I'm planning on taking the camera and really checking out the structures and stuff while there, so I'll post what findings I have when I get back.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey last time i was at rat pack alot of the ladder stuff down at the bottom was mangled beyond use. Hopefully its been repaired by now. Fun trail!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'm guessing the goal will be to get to the place by 10:00am...so meeting at Eastgate for those who don't know the way no later than 8:45am.

RatPac is on the East side of Snoqual, just outside of Cle Ellum. Totally awesome ride, mostly on slick rock, though the upper part is in the trees.

If you come (and you're more than welcome :) ), plan on a long push to the top. We don't know for sure yet if the gate at the bottom will be open. If it's closed then we walk our bikes, rather than being pleasantly shuttled. It's about a 3 mile hike up a hard hill. The ride down takes about 45 minutes (mostly because we stop at the good stuff and play!). But even without stopping, you're looking at a solid 20-25 minute ride if you ride fast (which I definitely don't!).

I dunno, I always think of CleEllum like a roller coaster, and the faster a rider you are the more like a roller coaster it gets ;).

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I dunno, I always think of CleEllum like a roller coaster, and the faster a rider you are the more like a roller coaster it gets ;).
yeah, that's why i love that trail. its like a roller coaster that gives you a weightless feeling when you peak because you're actually in the air. the g-outs are fun as well as the high banked turns. have fun!

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
From Oly, it's about 2.5 hours. Easiest route is I-5 to I-90, but you can take I-5 to Highway 512 to Highway 167 to Highway 18 to I-90 for a shortcut.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by TCoop924
From Oly, it's about 2.5 hours. Easiest route is I-5 to I-90, but you can take I-5 to Highway 512 to Highway 167 to Highway 18 to I-90 for a shortcut.
TCoop has said it best...though if you're taking 18 out, let someone know so we can establish a different meeting place.

Usually the group waits at Eastgate. On I-90 the first exit after I405, stay to the far right (it splits to 3), go right, then go left into...I think it's a Shell station....the cars with the bikes are usually to the left of the gas station in front of the chain linked fence. If you're coming and want to take 18 (nice route), then we'll set a different meeting location :).

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Does anyone know if the gate is open at Rat Pac. We hit it a couple weeks ago and pushed up...yuck! :drool:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by MUTOLI
Does anyone know if the gate is open at Rat Pac. We hit it a couple weeks ago and pushed up...yuck! :drool:
EvilBob said he's checkin into it. I may call the local LBS to get the scoop as well. We're hopin for a coupla runs IF the gate be open...that push can be a killer!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Tell me about it...I got a huge blister on my heal...damb these shoes...:angry: Plus, we only got one run...

Mar 24, 2004
Ellensburg, WA
I was just up there and the gate was wide open...makes it nice for those of us with big, heavy bikes that don't really like going uphill. :D The bridges at the bottom that were busted up are kind of fixed; two of them are nailed together on top of eachother to make one big one over one of the sections and the rest are either gone or rebuilt. There are also a few new jumps in the uppermost section. Overall it's in really good shape...the teeter totter is still busted at the bottom, but most everything else looks good.

BTW - There isn't really any slickrock up there; there are a few sections at the bottom where the trail crosses old coal piles (the whole area was once a coal mine) but it's mostly really packed down dirt.

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Jr bullit said there where some... but packed dirt sounds good.... oh man so confused:confused: i realy want to try something new... yet capital forest shuttle is on this sunday also. and is way closer....maybe i should wait till i get my new bike.

hmmmm maybe i will flip for it!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Falldowngoboom
I was just up there and the gate was wide open...makes it nice for those of us with big, heavy bikes that don't really like going uphill. :D The bridges at the bottom that were busted up are kind of fixed; two of them are nailed together on top of eachother to make one big one over one of the sections and the rest are either gone or rebuilt. There are also a few new jumps in the uppermost section. Overall it's in really good shape...the teeter totter is still busted at the bottom, but most everything else looks good.

BTW - There isn't really any slickrock up there; there are a few sections at the bottom where the trail crosses old coal piles (the whole area was once a coal mine) but it's mostly really packed down dirt.
:thumb: Hey FDGB!

There is slick rock type terrain up there but not on Rat Pac....some along the roadon teh way up.........but a bunch more on the ridge west of Rosyln (from memory when I was able to ride dirt bikes up there) There was a huge rock....like big as a Football field on one hillside I remember riping up and down it on my Motorbike. Doubt I have the energy to find it now on MTB....to much climbing and dead ends before I could find it I am sure. I remember at teh bottom of the rockif you went past where you thought you should turn around you could find a trail to a old log cabin.....4 ft tall door way tin cans mashed inbetween the logs to keep it insulated. Then you need to turn back and head up again. So much more enjoyable exploring that ridge on a motorbike......you could cover so much ground and find all teh good stuff.

*sigh* missing riding my dirtbike up there......:o:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
So much more enjoyable exploring that ridge on a motorbike......you could cover so much ground and find all teh good stuff.

*sigh* missing riding my dirtbike up there......:o:
Nah it's much better to trail ride it and hope you get out of there before nightfall.:p ;)

Your talkin about the Roslyn Slickrock, i've heard of it haven't been yet. It's really close to a ride i already do up there and was thinking of tying it into that one. Jolly Mt/W.Fork Teanaway, but it's definately inbetween that run and Rat Pac, on that ridge.

If my date stands me up i may go over and ride with you guys too. So i would be SadHappy.:( :) i may be to beat to do more than one run unless it's a shuttle, gotta big ride on Saturday.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Actually the slab is in Dingbat Creek drainage which is just drainages NW of #6 canyon which is on the left side of the road while Rat Pac is on the right going up. The slab, of course, is on the other side of the ridge too.
The sad part is that they are finally logging that out as well. It was a freakin' mess last fall during the last trip. The trail from the rock is now mostly a road or is covered by slash(not the GnR one).
The trail coming down to the slab has a section that's still not logged. But, this development makes the trip iffy. One very cool thing you did'nt mention was the 60 foot tall Hoodoo in the woods to the East. Just below the cliff. It's barely balancing on a quarter of it's largest diameter and is very cool in a Space Odessey 2000 way. Finally, the logging company has had it's way with the west Fork side and is blocking off the roads again and they are growing back. Lot's of good built in jumps all the way down....
Rat Pac's only one of several great routes off that ridge.
West Fork Trail is a mutha but also one of the most scenic rides around. Definately hitting it again this year.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by gooch
Are you meeting at the turn off right before the gate on the left or where the trail dumps out at?? 10:00 right??
I've always parked in that upper left "parking" area before the gate. It's nice there, shady, good spots for girls to run and go pee before the ride ...you know...all kinds of benefits ;).

10:00am we're hoping to be ready to push up, or close to it. :) I'll be either in a black honda civic with a trunk rack, or in a big white van (we haven't decided which vehicle we're driving yet).

Evilbob - do you want to meet at Eastgate that morning? Looks like you and I may be the only ones in a position to do that, depending on the route Turkey goes if her coin lands heads up :). (btw Turkey...you're a girl right? I thought I saw a post of yours in the girlie forum...)

Also...anyone know if Lumberjack & co are going?

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
Also...anyone know if Lumberjack & co are going? [/B][/QUOTE]

i believe lumberjack is going to SST on sunday, but i'm not totally positive on that. i'll talk to him today and find out for sure where hes going and let ya know.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Falldowngoboom
Hey, Rhino, you going on Sunday?
Dislocate my shoulder at beacon......out for a while. *sigh* Never have shuttled RP.....always pushed it. :o:

I wanna Shuttle it ! :D When I am good to go.

Cable_Guy

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
gate has been open for two weeks now. I rode it all last week as my community service project for school. Good times. I don't think i'll be there though. i have to help my mom move to renton. i'll tell the rest of the local gang though. The trail feels pretty nice too. peace

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Call it in the air......"tails"! DOH

Well looks like the cards where not in my favor.......Hope you all have a great ride...Take pics if you can would love to see what it's like...and if there is any extra mud, i would not mind a hand full.:thumb:

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
i talked to lumberjack today and he said he wasn't going to ratpac. what kind of riding is it there. i might be down for a ride there. are u going evilbob?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by crash13
i talked to lumberjack today and he said he wasn't going to ratpac. what kind of riding is it there. i might be down for a ride there. are u going evilbob?
hey man if you can go, then go, it's full on worthy..............

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Sorry all for not contributing info to this post. I have been preoccupied with a serious life issue this week. My 4yr. old grandaughter was assaulted by her moms boyfriend (who is in jail now) on Tuesday......broke both bone in right forearm and spiral fracture of the left tibia.

Now to retrack this thread. Sound like the gate is open (thanks Cable_Guy) so the Van and Eastgate sounds good Jr_Bullit. Hey Mr. Cuervo you need to go do this ride as it is a total rollercoaster. I will be online again later but now I am headin out to St. Eds for an hour or two.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I ended up going out to Ratpac for the first time today.... it was super-nice. Great trail with lots of fun stuff to play on! Sorry I can't make it tomorrow, but I'm sure you guys will have fun!!:D

I posted some pics in the lounge too.... linkity-link to pics

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Good morning!

I didn't bring the camera :( So ...sorry no pics of the ride. It was tons of fun! We got to shuttle it, and the trail was in great shape! Seeing as I never ride any of the ladders this part's only 2nd hand knowledge, but steve was able to ride all but one ladder (that one he wiped on). There's a big hole in the center of the waterfall ladder that catches your front wheel as you go down.

Anyways, those of you who couldn't come, you definitely need to go sometime this summer! The weather and the trail can't be beat right now. Those of you who did come :) it was great...weren't it?

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Good morning!

Those of you who did come :) it was great...weren't it?
The Rat Pak was ragin yesterday SO Fast and flowing great weather shuttles the whole thing. Oh and DOUBLE dippin
RULES.:cool:

Peace out Brad