Quantcast

Recommend a bike friendly wagon or small SUV

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm in the research phase of buying a new vehicle and I've found the best reviews are from people who actually own them. Here's the criteria thus far:

- Must be AWD or 4-wheel and good in snow
- Get at least 20mpg (4 cylinder is fine)
- Be able to fit a bike in the hatchback. I would also like a hitchrack. I'm single and don't plan on having kids anytime soon, so room for the bike is a must. Other than bike trips on the weekend, this will mainly be a commuter car.
- Doesn't have to be new

Tell me what you like and don't like! I plan to start test driving soon.

So far, I've got my eye on the new generation Subaru Outback and the Toyota Rav4.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
outback sport/impreza wagon/saab 9-2x is another choice.
honda cr-v
saturn vue and all the related gmc car based crossovers (equinox, etc.)

unfortunately i haven't owned any of them. the closest was a '96 nissan pathfinder, which didn't come close to 20 mpg :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
outback sport/impreza wagon/saab 9-2x is another choice.
honda cr-v
saturn vue and all the related gmc car based crossovers (equinox, etc.)

unfortunately i haven't owned any of them. the closest was a '96 nissan pathfinder, which didn't come close to 20 mpg :D
The new Honda CR-V seems nice...just a little pricey. I defitely want a solid car that will last a while. Function above status.

chrismac

Chimp
Nov 3, 2006
subaru.

ive owned; a late 90's GL wagon, and now an impreza wrx. they are just great cars, the all-wheel is solid and reasuring, they get good milage, tough as nails (sold my GL with 225k), reliable, and affordable (purchase and repair, well newer outbacks may be getting up there).

and they just go... see that 'built subaru tough' thread!

i can throw a full bike in my 'wagon' without removing a wheel. remove front wheel off one bike, and two fit right in. I did have the thule T2 rack on a hitch, but with two dh bikes, the hitch bent where it bolts onto the car. but i think that due to the fact it only has a class 1 (or A.. can't remember) capacity, so the receptacle is only 1 1/2 inch, where as the bike rack is 2 inch. so an adapter stuck the rack out antoher 12 inches away from the car giving a large leverage on the hitch with two 40+ lb. bikes as well as the rack! (it is still an impreza; small car) you may want to check that out, the outbacks can probably take more.

good luck

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I fit a Yeti DH-9 with wheels on into the back of a Subaru Forester easily. For awd, large cargo area, good mileage, you can't go wrong with a Forester. The XT gets about 18mpg (friend has one) realistically, the non-turbo get closer to 25+.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
yo,

I went through this whole ordeal about a year ago. I live in the snow and have kids so I needed the same plus I race so economy was the top of the list.

after all the exhaustive research and test drives I ended up getting a suzuki grand vitara.

here is why,
V-6 with great milage (28 mpg) that I tested myself with diagnostic equipment.

great 4 wheel drive. I have had a hard time to find a vehicle that test drove as well as the grand vitara in the snow.

4 doors with fold down seats make plenty of room for just about anything. I run my bikes on the roof since its not that tall and also have a hitch mount but it steals from the small parking ability when bikes are on, so i just run them on the roof. I have enough room on the roof for a thule cargo box and three sidearm mounts that hold my DH bikes very well.

I am 6'1" and the seat give plenty of headroom and way more than enough leg room. the seat could go back another few inches than need be.

I bought the rig with 70k on it and I now have 140k and havent had to do a thing. I payed 6900 for it through the dealer and couldnt find a better buy anywhere.

here are the others I looked at and drove.

toyota rav's (too expensive)
subarus (too expensive, not enough ground clearance)
honda crv (poor 4X4 and weak drivetrain)
saturn vue (the dealership itself told me they had too many probs)
kia (way to cheap)
x-terra (poor mpg, poor legroom)
jeep liberty (too expensive, poor mpg)

I almost settled on a used porsche cayenne since it was a good deal but ended up with the grand vitara. it has plenty of pep with teh v6 and has power everything.

thats my 32 cents

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Subaru... The Forester is a little taller, more SUV-link, a little less "old man" (and more "I'm a lesbian") than the Outbacks... but the wagons are pretty bike-friendly as well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've had two Outbacks and they are awesome cars, especially for a cyclist. Saabs are extremely unreliable in my experience, and when they have problems they are among the most expensive cars to fix.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks everyone. Very good points indeed. I've definitely going to test some Subies. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything else.

I don't know much about Suzuki. Thanks for recommendation.

Do you know if a bike will fit in the back of an Outback Sport? They look kind of cramped from the outside.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would second Toshi's recommendation (Saturn Vue). I have a Chevy Equinox and it's GREAT! I get 23 mpg. It's very comfy, roomy enough for lots of bikes & gear (I have roof & hitch racks and have put a bike inside without a problem). If the weather's crappy when camping, it's big enough to fold the seats down and sleep inside too :thumb: It's great in the snow (I have the AWD version) and wasn't too pricey either.

The Outbacks are nice too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ooh I forgot about Treesaw's car, it's great too. Although I don't know how many nice deals on used ones you will find at this point, isn't the Equinox a fairly new model?

RAV4's all come with rainbow bumper stickers.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Honda Element or CRV or Subaru Outback, Legacy or Forester. All are good choices. I'd probably get an Element if I had the cash...mostly for the extra room and the fold-flat seats (I've been known to sleep in my car...)

I have a Forester and it's been great. Overall mpg could be a little better, but space, functionality and reliability are all great. I've fit multiple bikes in the back without issue, lived in Vermont for 3 years with it, drove it across the country a few times and it's seen a few hundred (maybe even a few thousand) miles of dirt roads in Colorado, Vermont, Idaho and who knows where else. I have the regular version (not the XT) and, while I wouldn't necessarily put it in the "fun to drive" category, it's not too bad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've had two Outbacks and they are awesome cars, especially for a cyclist. Saabs are extremely unreliable in my experience, and when they have problems they are among the most expensive cars to fix.
the saab 9-2x is the exception, however. it's the "saabaru", a impreza wagon in saab clothing.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
I highly recommend the asparagus!

Oh chit .. wrong thread .. my bad. :nerd:

Seriously tho ...
I've had & liked Subarus ... yet you owe to yourself to check out the Element too. You can slide a bike in those upright.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've got a buddy with one and I have to say - they're friggin' TINY.
I saw one at a stealership, its much bigger than an outback wagon. I think it has something like 73 cu ft. storage - among the highest in its segment. Still has the stupid spare tire on the rear. A hitch rack (T2, Hookup, Cycle-on, etc) is much better than a spare tire mount - I don't know what the guy earlier in the thread is talking about :disgust1:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Subaru... The Forester is a little taller, more SUV-link, a little less "old man" (and more "I'm a lesbian") than the Outbacks... but the wagons are pretty bike-friendly as well.
Agreed, being a "woman trapped in a man's body" - we have had 2 Foresters - got the 2nd one after we hit the 150 K+ mark on the 1st one.

I find it very bike friendly - put 100 lbs of dh bikes on the roof and one on the inside way back (with a wheel pulled off). Also, my work lot can be sketchy, so I just fold the seat down and put the bike in there till ride time!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Ooh I forgot about Treesaw's car, it's great too. Although I don't know how many nice deals on used ones you will find at this point, isn't the Equinox a fairly new model?

RAV4's all come with rainbow bumper stickers.
They are pretty new (I bought the first model run), but I think people are trading them in because the newer ones come with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty! I am actually considering it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Honda Element.
Word.

After having a Jetta VR 6 wagon nothing is as easy to get a bike in the back without having to take front wheel off as a Element.

We have had 2 trails bikes (both wheels still on) plus all our camping crap stuffed in one for a 3 day weekend and were comfortable.

Great gas milage, tinted windows in the back, 2" hitch clearance not an issue, AWD, and it's a Honda:clapping:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Syd - with the Rav4, how's the stability of the vehicle? It seems like it's going to be a little more squirrely in bad weather d/t the higher center of gravity.
I only test drove one once, but it felt fine. I think its 7" ground laden clearance on both the Outback and RAV4. Stability should be better because it has stability control (only the newer Outbacks have stability control in the V6 trims). Consumer Reports drove the new RAV4 2mph faster in their emergency course than the Subaru Outback.

The new Mitsubishi Outlander and Mazda CX7 both have better handling and braking than either. CX7 probably has the best styling but the least cargo room.

If you want eco-friendly the new 2008 Ford/Mercury Escape/Mariner Hybrid is priced pretty decent and you get a $3000(FWD) or $2200 (AWD) federal tax credit.

All these vehicle except the Subaru have pretty useless reactive (FWD before the slip) electronic AWD systems. Save your money and buy better tires and/or snow tires if you are worried about it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I only test drove one once, but it felt fine. I think its 7" ground laden clearance on both the Outback and RAV4. Stability should be better because it has stability control (only the newer Outbacks have stability control in the V6 trims). Consumer Reports drove the new RAV4 2mph faster in their emergency course than the Subaru Outback.

The new Mitsubishi Outlander and Mazda CX7 both have better handling and braking than either. CX7 probably has the best styling but the least cargo room.

If you want eco-friendly the new 2008 Ford/Mercury Escape/Mariner Hybrid is priced pretty decent and you get a $3000(FWD) or $2200 (AWD) federal tax credit.

All these vehicle except the Subaru have pretty useless reactive (FWD before the slip) electronic AWD systems. Save your money and buy better tires and/or snow tires if you are worried about it.
I believe the Saturn Vue is also available as a hybrid now too.

My brother-in-law has an Escape and it's rather small inside!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I believe the Saturn Vue is also available as a hybrid now too.

My brother-in-law has an Escape and it's rather small inside!
The current Saturn Vue hybrid isn't worth the extra money for its slightly difference in mileage. The new 2008 Vue Hybrid is two mode (much better) but I don't think it will be out until the Fall and they are moving production to Mexico, so I would not buy one of those first year.

Consumer reports (out the small SUVs I mentioned) only ranked the 2007 Outlander, 2007 RAV4, and 2008 Escape as having comfortable 2nd row seats.

The new Sante Fe is a good option too but more of midsize vehicle, almost as big as the Honda Pilot. Its pricing is similar to the other small SUVs mentioned.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.

So you're also saying the mechanical AWD on Subaru's offerings are better than the electronics on the rest of the market? I thought the Rav4 was mechanical AWD?