Quantcast

Recommend a bike friendly wagon or small SUV

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i see sooooo many late model vws and audis driving around with one taillight out...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

I'm looking at one of these this year or next. Exactly what I want out of a daily driver. Interestingly enough, it comes in rootbeer.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i see sooooo many late model vws and audis driving around with one taillight out...
I think there is a mass recall or class action I read about, it was defect. I owned a VW for a few years starting in 99 and a taillight died in less than a year:shakefist:

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
ARe you getting a new car or is Veronica?
What kind of Honda?
:opensupnewcanofworms:
Worm indeed, it's her decision. I'm leaning towards the hybrid. But we'll have to see. She likes those small cars:disgust1:

Ok, on the phone with her now, and we both agree that the element is an awful, horrible, ugly mess of a box on wheels. 3 strikes, it's out.
I agree, its a shoe box on wheels :plthumbsdown:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
the Civic? I think the Prius is more affordable and gets more mpg
You have to drive a lot of miles to pay back the difference in cost and/or gas has to get to $4-5/gal soon after you buy the car. Plus there are plenty of very low emission SULEV and PZEV 4 cylinder cars (even V6s) with regular drivetrains that still get decent mileage and have more cargo room (no batteries to carry), better performance, and feature set. Most hybrids will drop 20-30% in their mileage ratings due to the revised 2008 real word EPA testing standards, so don't be wowed by their window stickers.

Don't believe the hype plus the complete lifecycle of the vehicle the small clean 4 cylinder is better for the environment when the total dust to dust resource impact is tallied.

New plug-in multi mode hybrids could change this, but you probably won't see any until 08 or 09. Hell maybe they'll even have some clean diesel hybrids eventually now that the US has low sulfur diesel.

Check out the revised EPA mileage figures here...

EPA updates website tool to calculate realistic mileage figures based on the new 2008 EPA standards

The new EPA fuel economy regulations consist of the following three elements:

1. Revised testing procedures to more accurately reflect today's traffic conditions, driving habits and vehicle usage.
2. New labeling for window stickers to provide more information that is easier to understand.
3. The inclusion of SUVs and vans with between 8,500 and 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in the testing process.

Revised testing procedures
The EPA has determined that changes to the testing procedure will produce fuel economy estimates that more accurately match what consumers will actually experience. The agency has also determined that important factors are missing from the current tests. Consequently, the new tests will include:

* Testing at higher speeds (up to 80 mph). Previously, speeds were limited to 55 mph to match the speed limit of the 1970s.
* More aggressive acceleration and deceleration (up to 8 mph per second rather than just 3.3 mph per second). The previous tests did not match today's hectic traffic patterns.
* Hot-weather testing and measuring vehicle fuel economy while using the vehicle's air conditioner.
* Testing in cold-weather temperatures while the vehicle's heater and defroster are operating.

Drivers will quickly notice a big difference between the fuel economy estimates using the testing methods prior to 2008 and the new testing methods.

* City ratings will drop by an average of 12 percent. The fuel economy estimates of hybrid vehicles and other vehicles designed for high fuel economy might drop up to 30 percent of their existing rating.
* Highway ratings will drop by an average of 8 percent while hybrids and other specialized fuel economy vehicles might be reduced by up to 25 percent.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm going to throw this out there...

Seriously though...avoid Audi/VW if you're looking for utlilitarianism (unless you score a Touareg). Mostly poor gas mileage (1.8t is the exception), poor reliability marks, and fairly spendy. I think they're awesome, but that's because I'm insane.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
With the snow here, winter = offroading.
I live in Toronto, Canada, and fwd seems to work 99.9% of the time even in our snowstorms. I'm 100% sure the simple 'awd' system would be more than adequate. The #1 accessory for winter driving is the tires,tire pressure (whereas the most important is obviously the driver) and since I'll be on roads I'm perfectly content with the system in the element. If I cared about 4wd performance, I wouldnt be looking at a Honda.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
You have to drive a lot of miles to pay back the difference in cost and/or gas has to get to $4-5/gal soon after you buy the car. Plus there are plenty of very low emission SULEV and PZEV 4 cylinder cars (even V6s) with regular drivetrains that still get decent mileage and have more cargo room (no batteries to carry), better performance, and feature set. Most hybrids will drop 20-30% in their mileage ratings due to the revised 2008 real word EPA testing standards, so don't be wowed by their window stickers.

Don't believe the hype plus the complete lifecycle of the vehicle the small clean 4 cylinder is better for the environment when the total dust to dust resource impact is tallied.

New plug-in multi mode hybrids could change this, but you probably won't see any until 08 or 09. Hell maybe they'll even have some clean diesel hybrids eventually now that the US has low sulfur diesel.

Check out the revised EPA mileage figures here...

EPA updates website tool to calculate realistic mileage figures based on the new 2008 EPA standards

How do you know so much about cars?

You're in Jersey, I should just have you find and haggle the price down for a new car!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
And thats one reason why I like it. Its 100% purpose oriented and suits a cyclist like nothing else that small.
True that! It's not an atractive car at all....it's all about function! It's not exciting at all. I thought it was the ugliest thing on the road, until I got inside one.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I live in Toronto, Canada, and fwd seems to work 99.9% of the time even in our snowstorms. I'm 100% sure the simple 'awd' system would be more than adequate. The #1 accessory for winter driving is the tires,tire pressure (whereas the most important is obviously the driver) and since I'll be on roads I'm perfectly content with the system in the element. If I cared about 4wd performance, I wouldnt be looking at a Honda.
We'll agree to disagree with the idea of FWD being sufficient in bad weather. In my area, lack of AWD means you're not going to go anywhere during much of the winter. But if FWD works, more power to you.

The point here remains that a good AWD system is a must for this vehicle. And something that's not an eyesore (IMO) is also a pre-requisite.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm in the research phase of buying a new vehicle and I've found the best reviews are from people who actually own them. Here's the criteria thus far:

- Must be AWD or 4-wheel and good in snow
- Get at least 20mpg (4 cylinder is fine)
- Be able to fit a bike in the hatchback. I would also like a hitchrack. I'm single and don't plan on having kids anytime soon, so room for the bike is a must. Other than bike trips on the weekend, this will mainly be a commuter car.
- Doesn't have to be new

Tell me what you like and don't like! I plan to start test driving soon.

So far, I've got my eye on the new generation Subaru Outback and the Toyota Rav4.

or you could go the "economy" route and get an older suby like mine for around $2k ;) :D :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's bull$hit - buy a decent set of snow tires. How do you suppose people survived before the advent of AWD? Just rolled up into a fetal ball every time it snowed? :rolleyes:
Here is a good resource:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter.htm

Most AWD systems slapped on vehicles these days are to sell more cars the minimal difference isn't worth it.

However, Subaru has a good AWD system and for 2008 they've finally added VDC (stability control) to 4 cylinder legacy and outback.

Ask Toshi about his WRX without stability control :shocked:

Stability control systems are definitely worth the money - they rank up there with ABS.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's bull$hit - buy a decent set of snow tires. How do you suppose people survived before the advent of AWD? Just rolled up into a fetal ball every time it snowed? :rolleyes:
seriously....it always makes me wonder about people.

The most important part of your car is the tires! think about it! slap a set of bald street tires on a 4wd locked truck and you'll get nowhere just as fast as if you had fwd.

FWD cars aren't so bad if you have good tires on them. I had an MR2 that was hilariously fun in deep snow with good snow tires.

The only supplement to that is you really need a limited slip or other kind of locked. I see so many people spinning one tire in the snow...if only they had some kind of locking differential to power the other tire....but the first and best step is a good set of hakkas or similar snow tires.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyone know how many mpg a Rav4 AWD 4cil. actually gets? I've heard everything from 22-30.

How are the older (past 3 years or so) Rav4s compared to the newer ones?
If you are going to go used, buy the CRV its better than the prior generation RAV4.

I would also check out the new CRV if you are going 4 cyl.

CR 2007 CRV 4cyl AWD Actual mileage - 21 overall, city/highway 15/29
CR 2007 RAV4 4Cyl AWD Actual mileage - 23 overall, city/highway 17/29

CR 2007 RAV4 V6 AWD Actual mileage - 22 overall

Don't waste your money on these BS electronic AWD system - buy a cheap set of rims with snow tires.

The 2008 adjusted figures website should give you a more realistic idea, but it all depends on the operating conditions

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWD cars aren't so bad if you have good tires on them. I had an MR2 that was hilariously fun in deep snow with good snow tires.
yeah, that'd be a rwd car, bub. :D

aren't you the one that had the Ur Quattro?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Why buy more fvcking tires when you can have a set of ASRs and AWD? Gotta love storing a spare set of tires. :rolleyes:

The point here is...why buy a 2wd with electronic 4wd when there's MUCH better options out there? Having lived in the NE my entire life, AWD > snow tires, every time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Why buy more fvcking tires when you can have a set of ASRs and AWD? Gotta love storing a spare set of tires. :rolleyes:

The point here is...why buy a 2wd with electronic 4wd when there's MUCH better options out there? Having lived in the NE my entire life, AWD > snow tires, every time.
It's always a matter of trade offs - FWD is cheaper, better mileage, less things to go wrong, etc.

That being said - when it snows around here I *infinitely* prefer to drive the Subaru than the Honda. Although I've got simple all-seasons on the Honda due to the fact that in a normal winter I'll only see snowpacked roads occasionally.

Of course this winter the roads were snowpacked from Dec. 18th until some time in February. :rant:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

AWD ain't going to help you stop or turn. Snow tires will. And if you go with snow tires than you can buy true summer tires which will work better on dry roads and in rain than all seasons. Tires are key, and well worth some storage space.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
It's always a matter of trade offs - FWD is cheaper, better mileage, less things to go wrong, etc.

That being said - when it snows around here I *infinitely* prefer to drive the Subaru than the Honda. Although I've got simple all-seasons on the Honda due to the fact that in a normal winter I'll only see snowpacked roads occasionally.

Of course this winter the roads were snowpacked from Dec. 18th until some time in February. :rant:
Sure it's cheaper, but it wasn't on the list, so why is that a valid point? The original request was a bike friendly vehicle with AWD and decent mileage.

Perhaps some test driving of Subaru is necessary this weekend.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
AWD ain't going to help you stop or turn.
I'll disagree with the turning part - with a little "body english" an AWD car will turn in ways a FWD car won't.
Snow tires will. And if you go with snow tires than you can buy true summer tires which will work better on dry roads and in rain than all seasons. Tires are key, and well worth some storage space.
If you're concerned about performance I'd agree... otherwise the all season radials are "adequate." :)

I've been driving in Colorado since 1993 and have never owned a vehicle with snow tires. I'd like to get a set for the Honda, but probably won't. :p

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
AWD ain't going to help you stop or turn. Snow tires will. And if you go with snow tires than you can buy true summer tires which will work better on dry roads and in rain than all seasons. Tires are key, and well worth some storage space.
The hell AWD won't let you steer. You can steer out of a hell of a lot by giving gas to an AWD car.

Again, AWD requirement, so FWD with snow tires is an absolute no.