Quantcast

Recommend a product...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Pick various biking items which you couldn't live without and have truly transformed your riding. Let's try to avoid fan-boy postings such as "my M3 rocks" which everyone is just going to think you feel you have to say having spent $5000 on it... back up your choices with reasoning.

Here's the first two that come to my mind:

1) Five Ten shoes
Having tried a variety of flat shoes over the years, I feel qualified to say that the five tens have completely changed my riding, and I very much doubt there's a better shoe for flats riders out there.

2) Lock-on grips
Similarly lock-on grips are hard to argue with - however careful you are with regular grips, they always end up spinning at some point. Lock-on's get fitted to any bike I ride, even if I've just hired it for the days! I don't know which pattern is best though, I use Ruffians, not tried any Yetis or anything like that.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Avid Rollamajig. I run these on all my bikes. Just a simple cheap way to get better shifting and cleaner cable routing. $15 well spent.

Hayes Mag brakes. Built like a brick sh*t house. Beat the hell out of 'em and they'll still work great.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Camelbaks.

I've got one that has been on too many camping trips to count. It's been crashed on, rained on, dropped, kicked, dirtied, washed and it still looks great.

My buddy's has been through the same, if not more abuse and is still functioning as well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
When I've used rollamajig it kills my shifting. It's too tight a bend on the cable, so the cable ends up that shape. As such when you shift up and down the block the cable doesn't move as well as it should, the bend gets caught as it leaves the roller and goes into the straight bit of outer.

They're good for v-brakes, where precision isn't important. But when I tried it on a rear mech it killed my shifting.

Secret squirrel: interesting, I've never actually seen anyone use one, I'd be intrigued to give it a try, see what difference it makes. Do you have to have a mount on your frame, or can you get ones with some sort of generic fitment? Wasn't there a scare of them pulling headsets out and ovalising head tubes?

chicodude: I'd have to say the same about MRP: I've been running them on my 222 and GT DHi for 4 years, and have literally never had the chain come off. They run much smoother than E13 as well in my experience, but maybe everyone I know is a lousy mechanic?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My Dakine Nomad - I have used it on many rides (xc,urban,dh/fr) . It is also great for riding (no gnarly terrain) with my camera. I have had it about a year and so far- no signs of wear.

Lockons definetaly (sp)

I think riding only hardtail for a while has really helped my bike handling skills. (not quite a specific product, but more an idea)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
- seb said:
Secret squirrel: interesting, I've never actually seen anyone use one, I'd be intrigued to give it a try, see what difference it makes. Do you have to have a mount on your frame, or can you get ones with some sort of generic fitment? Wasn't there a scare of them pulling headsets out and ovalising head tubes?

chicodude: I'd have to say the same about MRP: I've been running them on my 222 and GT DHi for 4 years, and have literally never had the chain come off. They run much smoother than E13 as well in my experience, but maybe everyone I know is a lousy mechanic?
I've got a Rotec RL9 and the mount is integrated into the top tube. It's awesome. As long as you're not running an XC shallow mount headset, the mounting bracket that is required for install on a non-integrated mount bike should not pull the headset out or ovalize your head tube....A lot of that came from people that just wouldn't tighten any of their gear up after 54 DH runs and had something catastrophic happen....well, duh....

I check the tightness of my headset at least once a riding day, and it hasn't loosened on mine yet...(10 days at whistler and 3 at DV...plus some other incidental riding here and there...)

All the E13's that I've ever had, have run smoothly and trouble free....and I've set them all up myself...I'm ham-fisted though...so I might have done everything so wrong it was right...:D

I've bent waaaaaay to many MRP boomerrangs and the bash plates themselves....of course, I also broke one of the E13 bash guards into three pieces and bent the spiders on 2 driveside holzfellers.....so I'm not the easiest on equipment...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not to knock the rollamajig (i've used it before, great product) but if you run SRAM there's no need for it.

and i'm gonna second -seb's thoughts on the hopey. Don't see too many of them, and I spend a lot of time at Platty and Diablo. Plus for the amount they cost ($200+) the benefits are minimal. Ride more or go to the gym and do some arm curls.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Bashgaurds, low profile seats, a seat tube that can swallow a full-length post, bars with lots of sweep and camelbacks.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
- Since I do not ride clips, even for XC: Five Ten Shoes...
- Impulse Technology by SRAM: thumb actuated upshifts and downshifts

3rd - on the same line as dante. Longer travel trail bikes with slacker geo :thumb:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just got back from Whistler today on the same frame (Sunday) but with upgraded suspension. The Boxxer WC and even more the DHX did transfor my riding in Whistler like it has not happened previous three years.

PS Thanks to Acadian for the live DHX setup support :)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my pike race. for my hardtail-do-it-all, it does it all. i love this fork more than any other i have been on. it tracks well, it is stiff. it is light. it has travel adjust. i never need to mess with the damping or the rebound. the maxle is dope. the lockout works. it doesn't use air springs. it just freakin' works.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Brand new rubber like Maxxis DHFs for the dry and Michelin Dh 16s for everything not dry. Its amazing what a sharp set of tires will do for your enjoyment on the track.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
spoke80 said:
Brand new rubber like Maxxis DHFs for the dry and Michelin Dh 16s for everything not dry. Its amazing what a sharp set of tires will do for your enjoyment on the track.

tire technology

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
jonKranked said:
not to knock the rollamajig (i've used it before, great product) but if you run SRAM there's no need for it.

and i'm gonna second -seb's thoughts on the hopey. Don't see too many of them, and I spend a lot of time at Platty and Diablo. Plus for the amount they cost ($200+) the benefits are minimal. Ride more or go to the gym and do some arm curls.
Conversely, if you have that musculature and are able to save more energy during the 40mph section for the heavily wooded section right after it...why not...you're then that much more ahead of the game. It lets you take a slightly more passive role while still pinnin' it....Story time:
Went to Whistler, got in maybe 9 runs in one day, arms killed. Did very little riding between then and my next trip (and wasn't able to hit the gym either....). Had the Hopey installed, went back to Whistler. Did 13 runs, 5 of them down Garbanzo in one day. I had the same amount of hurt as the day with 9 regular runs. take that for whatever you will. The things work.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Little things:
lock-on grips
those little "problem-solver" hose holder things
the 661 kevlar knee-pad covers that make sure your pads stay put
neosporin

Big things:
Sticky rubber tires
Splined bb interfaces
quality suspension damping
"sled" syle geometry (low and slack)

*edit* Maxle's too. Maxle's are the bomb.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Avalanche Montie = Just got the shock a couple weeks ago and wow. Custom valved and perfect out of the box, definitely the best value in a rear shock out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Gravity Droppers, external bearing bottom brackets, real competition for Shimano, long travel air shocks and forks and...chamois cream. :D

And I fully support the previous votes for 5.10's, lock-ons, and maxles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Secret Squirrel said:
Conversely, if you have that musculature and are able to save more energy during the 40mph section for the heavily wooded section right after it...why not...you're then that much more ahead of the game.

very good point. I don't really have this problem anymore, but I ride just about every day (unfortunately not DH though), so IMO i can spend the money better on other things. Not trying to knock you at all, glad to hear that its made such a difference for ya, being that you are enjoying the ride more :thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
jonKranked said:
very good point. I don't really have this problem anymore, but I ride just about every day (unfortunately not DH though), so IMO i can spend the money better on other things. Not trying to knock you at all, glad to hear that its made such a difference for ya, being that you are enjoying the ride more :thumb:
Thanks for rubbing it in :eviltongu ....I know I need to ride more.....damn.... :D :D :agree:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
jonKranked said:
When I first read this, I thought you were responding to OGRipper's recommendation for chamoise cream...:wonky2:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
intensified said:
I have been psyched with my adidas hematoma shoes, I got them after busting up a foot and they have kept me in biz.
If your hard on your feet, hematoma's are definitely the way to go. They were too heavy for me, but I've been really stoked on my Specialized 'Sawpits'.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I gotta a couple:
Salsa seatpost QR
The ti-sprung Curnutt on my old Fly: light, tough and so far ahead of its time.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Lock ons are a definite plus. I use them on all my bikes. I like the Intense ones the best, followed by Ruffians. The Yetis are okay, but not as good as either of those.

I do love my Camelbaks. I have two and both are working great after years of abuse.

For me, UST has been a really great invention for XC and trailriding. UST rims paired with UST tires and a little sealant is a great combo that works well, almost never flats and performs better than anything else. I'm not sold on it for DH, but it rules for XC.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
sram x.o
ea70 bars
thompson x4 stem

aside from that my custom tuned dhx (by suspension center switzerland) Is still the nicest shock i've ridden, i have a standard dhx for spare and the difference is huge, the tuned one is so more controlled.