Quantcast

Recommend me a steel HT

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm entertaining the idea of a nice XC hardtail. Geared, "Norba-esque" geo, discs, 3-4" fork, just a pretty standard bike. I'm looking for a mid-range bike.

The "feel" of the ride I'm looking for isn't super flexy like my Croll 853, but not dead like cheap steel. I want an active yet semi-stiff and efficient frame. I've ridden some bikes so I know what I'm looking for, but I don't know what brands to look at at all because I'm more of a DH/DJ kinda guy.

I'm 5' 10.5" and growing.

Thanks!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
The Kona Explosif looks like a solid little bike, though it may not have the most aggressive race geometry, if that's what your looking for.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
It originally had a 71.5* head angle with a Judy, but I put a Marz Marathon on that was a 1/2" taller so I figure it is around 71*. I wished I would have put disc mounts on it, but I figured they were just a fad in 1999.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I guess I'd want to build a frame. The more I look the more I would consider aluminum as well.

The Sinister Mustang looks like a killer ride. I'm looking for more of a race-esque bike that can still handle trail riding (which is what it'll be mainly seeing).

As far as price goes I have no idea. I'm more tossing this around as an idea.

Bianchis are great and everything but I'd rather go for a smaller company.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Mmm. That Dragon is nice for short money. In the < $1k frame department, the Ala Carte, Gunnar, and Soma would be on my list as well.

The mustang looks long and low. But sooo hot.

Dang, I wanted a Spooky

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hm, the Chromag Sakura looks REALLY cool. The on-ones are IMO too ugly.

I'm starting to consider a 29er more. Maybe I'll get a Monocog 29er and see if 29 is right for me, then go from there.

But that Chromag is SO cool. Damn.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
But that Chromag is SO cool. Damn.
For a while now I&#8217;ve been looking for a nice light steel HT for trail riding. Outside of going custom, I wasn&#8217;t able to find a frame that will allow me to use a 4 or 5 inch fork, offer a slack geometry (e.g. head angle of <= 68.5) while maintaining a somewhat steep seat angle. That&#8217;s until I saw the Sakura! That bike is sweet and fits the bill.

I&#8217;ve seen a few Chromag in the past and they are super nice. The guys there are also super cool...

There are quite a few to choose from which is super cool. Their list includes: Black- matte or gloss, white, grass green, avocado lime green, dark red, bright red, yellow, orange, burnt orange, navy blue, sky blue, silver, brown, grey.

It is possible to obtain other colors if there&#8217;s something specific you&#8217;re looking for. There would likely be an upcharge tho..

if you're really thinking about getting one, I would get in touch with them now - I think they are already making the list of sizes they need to build and they only make 10 bikes per run. tell them Luc Albert sent you..

Here&#8217;s a few pics to put even more water in your mouth :banana:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
it's steel. most nice steel frames don't have a replaceable d. hanger.

this is what i'd recommend. can be built around a 4-5 inch fork. just let them know what fork you're having the bike built around and bam, done deal.

check out the dropouts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, Independent makes some really nice stuff. Thanks for reminding me. My wallet, on the other hand, is not so gracious.

I think what I'm gonna do is buy a Monocog 29er just to try 'em for a while (and I'm curious about SS again as well). Then I'll go from there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BTW I understand most steel bikes have non-replacable derailleur hangers, doesn't mean I like it though. I've got a Croll with Ritchey dropouts and it bugs me that it's non-replacable.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
it's steel. most nice steel frames don't have a replaceable d. hanger.

this is what i'd recommend. can be built around a 4-5 inch fork. just let them know what fork you're having the bike built around and bam, done deal.
I wouldn't recommend selling your kidney for something not worth it.

btw, you still trying to unload that croll?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
BTW I understand most steel bikes have non-replacable derailleur hangers, doesn't mean I like it though. I've got a Croll with Ritchey dropouts and it bugs me that it's non-replacable.
I was in the same boat - but like indieboy pointed out almost all steel bikes have non replaceable derailleur hangers. So I’m going to run a Brake Therapy Sinner Derailleur Guard on mine to help prevent the DH from bending.

If it bends, you can always straighten it out – or get another one welded on!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I've got the Croll still. It's just too small otherwise I'd ride it.

I'm thinking about building it up as a psuedo-commuter and riding a Chromag for trails.

I just don't see an advantage of a non-replacable derailleur hanger, and my problem with derailleur protectors is that when you hit the derailleur, the impact tends to snap the derailleur in half (I've seen it twice on a Demo w/ the protector). Yeah, it saves the hanger, but isn't the point of the hanger to be a disposable item to save the derailleur yourself?

How much does the Sakura go for? I e-mailed them a little while ago with no response yet.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I just don't see an advantage of a non-replacable derailleur hanger, and my problem with derailleur protectors is that when you hit the derailleur, the impact tends to snap the derailleur in half (I've seen it twice on a Demo w/ the protector). Yeah, it saves the hanger, but isn't the point of the hanger to be a disposable item to save the derailleur yourself?
I hear you, I also wish it had a replacable derailleur hanger, but what can you do? I'm sure there is some reason behind it...

How much does the Sakura go for? I e-mailed them a little while ago with no response yet.
Price on the Sakura is $950. US

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Expensive, but I guess it's for a reason.
I don't mind paying that since since I know I'll get what I WANT (see earlier post on page 1).

I've also ridden with Tyler Morland in Arizona last year and he was on Chromag HT. The bike was super nice and he was putting it through its paces – that’s when I started thinking about getting one.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think it's what I'm gonna end up with. It's a damn cool bike and it's got the design I'm looking for.